Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I finally went of and did it.

I have been a dog person for my entire life. I get really attached to my dogs and have experienced two tragedies that took a toll on me but not nearly as much as having to put Odie (a lab mix that was rescued from the back row [when she was rescued the newer arrivals were brought in and placed in the front rows and when a dog reached the back row, if they were not adopted within 2 days, they were put down] and was the family pet for 16 years) down due to old age and I could not stand to see her suffer any longer. I took it pretty hard as she allowed me to lead her into the vets office and had full trust in me and she died in my arms.

......and then there was Mitzi. You might recall her she was my avatar for a full season and each game the Lions lost, she got another band aid from my supposed rage and "kicking the dog". We only had her for about 9 years but she had to be put down because she developed cancer and after two surgeries and $1300. in vet bills with no improvement in her condition, it was time to put her down also.

........anywho. Tailgunner has been bugging me for a dog since he was 15. He is 19 now. Earlier it was too soon for me to get another dog because putting the two down within 9 months of each other took an emotional toll on me that I was not ready to reinvest in another family member only to have to play god.

He has been relentless in continuing to ask for a dog and he has been thoroughly schooled on the responsibilities of being a pet owner as well as the costs involved. He has gained my confidence that he is capable of caring for, cleaning up after, and paying for the costs involved in owning a pet.

On a whim because there was nothing else to do at work and tailgunner had come in to help out, he talked me into taking a trip to the local Humane Society just to see if they had any puppies.

Well, they had a full house of dogs that were 6 months and older but really no puppies.

We both immediately became attached to a 6 month old hound mix that had one blue eye (they called it blue, it looks white to me, kinda like that of a husky or malmute) and one brown eye. She was smart, eager to get some attention, and even when we reached to pull out the sheet that has all of the poop on her, she would try to lick our hands through the glass.

Well, tailgunner talked me into having them allow us to visit with her in one of their "get aquainted" rooms and, boom! I fell in love with her.

That was yesterday. Today we went to adopt her (past experience has been that you adopt the pup, they neuter them, you pick them up two days later). Unexpectedly we walked out the door with her.

I am once again a dog owner (although technically it is tailgunners dog, it was explained to him she is also a family dog) and am getting ready to go through the process of housetraining and teaching her good manners.

Admittedly, I have no doubt that tailgunner will be doing a lot of the training as he has gained a ton of experience with dogs from his girlfriends family, however, Dad has rules that dogs live by and I have no doubt this will end up being a wonderful pet and companion.

It has not fully settled in with tailgunner yet but I am very much looking forward to the companionship of mans best friend again.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Good luck Malto. Puppies are fun, but i forgot how much trouble they can be. . One blue eye huh? Austrailian Shepard maybe?
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Could be. The coat is not that much different but, she came from up north and it was explained to me they are bred to hunt and if they are not good hunters, they get turned in to the Humane Society. I am thinking this pup is a result of another male taking advantage of a breeding hound.

We are only on the 5th hour of ownership but her behavior suggests she is really happy not to be in a kennel.

Comment

• oops - damn Droid. Tony Dungy got off the plane that we were about to board. And no, I did not make a scene.

I am now officially in San Francisco! Don't have time to do any exploring today, as we have a corporate dinner to attend in about an hour and a half, but tomorrow, IT'S ON!!
          "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• good luck with the pooch, Malto! Pictures please.
            "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Congrats Malto. What's her name?

GO LIONS "10" !!!!!!!!!!
              GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• That's great Malto! We always had hunting dogs when I was growing up. I would love to have a dog again, but there's not enough space here in Japan nor do I have enough time to devote to give the necessary attention a dog would deserve.

Take some pictures if you get the chance, please!
                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Congrats Mark!

I hope your new pup brings you as much joy & love as your other pets did.

Comment

• Congrats Malto!

Have fun in SF Kay!
                    AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                    2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                    3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                    4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                    5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                    6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                    7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Congratulations, Mark! Hope the training goes well. Are you sticking with "Blue"? Will your next dog be "Silver"?
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                        Congrats Malto. What's her name?

GO LIONS "10" !!!!!!!!!!
                        Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                        Congratulations, Mark! Hope the training goes well. Are you sticking with "Blue"? Will your next dog be "Silver"?
                        LOL, Deb!

Her name given by the Humane Society was Charlie but she clearly did not know her name so tailgunner renamed her...........get this and I swear he has no knowledge about what goes on here........Lola.

Thanks all for the well wishes everyone.

She spent her first night here and we are going to get along just fine. She is really smart and she is just generally a good dog. I took her with me for a run this morning and she loved it.

I will post some pictures soon.

Comment

• Bless you for giving her a good life, Mark. I am sure you will be rewarded for many years for your big heart.

Is she house-broken?

Keep SoCal away from her.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• No, she is not housebroken yet but I don't think that is going to be a major problem.

I had to laugh. Yesterday when we picked her up, she had to be lifted into the car as she was very reluctant to get in. This morning after our run, she walked over to the drivers door of my car and jumped up looking at me like, come on, let's go for a ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                              I took her with me for a run this morning and she loved it.

I will post some pictures soon.
                              Congrats on the new "family" pooch Mark"o"

Just one question, when is it considered running when one ties a dog to their geriatric walker? ;)
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Oh I'm reall happy for you Malto. I have always been a dog person as well. In 06 I got my Belgian Trevuren Mix pup from the shelter. She was the runt and the mother stopped feeding her so I took her home and bottle fed her. She is all grown up now and about the smartest most well-behaved dog I've ever known. When it 's been a few days and I arrive home she usually jumps in my arms with arms on both shoulders and gives those "real-honest, I missed and loved you" kisses. She is a great friend and I love her so much!!!! I miss her right up there with my wife and son... Here she is, her name is Scarlet.

I don't even know if I am ready to talk about it.....

Comment

Working...
                                X