No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I think of Ozzie not making the Hall of Fame, it's not so much that he lacks the credentials but that if he makes it, then there are a lot of goaltenders from this era that would probably deserve it ahead of him.

Ozzie was never really the best (or even Top 5) of his particular era. He was always in that 6-10 range for me. Very good, borderline great, but never really able to make that top tier. And while it's not like the Red Wings carried him, he never really carried the Red Wings either. He was a cog in the machine, not the engine.

I think the Hall of Fame needs to be reserved for those players that stood out above the rest in the time they played. Ozzie doesn't really meet that standard. But that's just IMHO.

Comment

• When I think of Ozzie not making the Hall of Fame, it's not so much that he lacks the credentials but that if he makes it, then there are a lot of goaltenders from this era that would probably deserve it ahead of him.

Ozzie was never really the best (or even Top 5) of his particular era. He was always in that 6-10 range for me. Very good, borderline great, but never really able to make that top tier. And while it's not like the Red Wings carried him, he never really carried the Red Wings either. He was a cog in the machine, not the engine.

I think the Hall of Fame needs to be reserved for those players that stood out above the rest in the time they played. Ozzie doesn't really meet that standard. But that's just IMHO.
      The only logical explanation is:
      I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Chem makes some good points. Chem makes some good points.

Aside from the stats, two things push him over the hump IMO. First, he fought P. Wahhh to a draw (equivalent to a beat down in my book). Second, while he played well with the Wings in front of him the reverse is also true - the Wings played well with Oz behind them - much like Stanton inspires great play from the Lions :-D
            Suspicion breeds trust.

Comment

• So you're saying he's a "gamer."
              I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• The Wings played well in front of him because they knew they couldnt rely on him. He's never been a goalie that has won games. He just hasnt lost them.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• That's not true. As chem said,

Very good, borderline great, but never really able to make that top tier.

He's won a few, he's lost a few. It's impossible to decode post game comments but at least at times his teammates claimed to have a lot of confidence with Oz in goal and by all accounts he had a positive influence (at least a calming influence) on the team.
                  Suspicion breeds trust.

Comment

• the only time Ozzie has looked like a HoF goalie is when he led us to the Cup in 07. He was steller in those playoffs. Other than that he's a good goalie. Good shouldnt equate to the Hall of Fame.

He's only been to 2 All Star games in 15 years. Come on. He's not in the same relm as your HoF goalies like Roy, Brodeur or any of the elite goalies.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Big difference between:

The Wings played well in front of him because they knew they couldnt rely on him. He's never been a goalie that has won games.

and

he's a good goalie

So which is it? Or is it possible for a good goalie to be unreliable and never win games by his play?

I get the case for him not being in the HOF but that first statement is far too strong.
                      Suspicion breeds trust.

Comment

• I don't really care much about HOF in any sport. I like Osgood as I do Ringo Star, had so much talent in front of him.

Comment

• Ozzie will make it in based on pure numbers. Personally, he doesn't pass the eyeball test with me but I don't have a problem with him going in based on the numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            Ozzie will make it in based on pure numbers. Personally, he doesn't pass the eyeball test with me but I don't have a problem with him going in based on the numbers.
                            The hockey Hall of Fame isn't like baseball where if you have the numbers, you're a lock.

Osgood might get in down the road, but I doubt it. Too many voters see him as a product of the Red Wings more than a HoF in his own right.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                              I don't really care much about HOF in any sport. I like Osgood as I do Ringo Star, had so much talent in front of him.
                              That's so f'ing funny.. and yet so true
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darl McrBride View Post
                                So which is it? Or is it possible for a good goalie to be unreliable and never win games by his play?
                                Ozzie has always been the type of goalie that you'd hold your breath when he'd face a shot. I'll give him his due for carrying us in 07 with some big wins but he's a middle of the road starter outside of that.

You cant tell me he can stand up next to Roy, Marty B, Hasek or any of the other top tier goalies that will be in the Hall.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X