No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J adam your take on ericcson was dead on, he's been sent down.

Hey Gonz, Saw an interview with Giguere last night. He says he's really happy with the trade. Says in California, there was never more than a couple of reporters around looking for interviews and there never seemed to be any excitement over the team.
    That's something Randy mentioned to me a couple of years back when he came home with the cup. He says hockey really is a second thought for most people.
    If his wife had her way, they'd be in Winnipeg. So if he gets canned, you know where he'd headed

Comment

• Hey Bill,

I'm pretty sure GIGUERE will never say that the OC treated him poorly, nor will the coach. They are correct in their statements so I'm not offended by it.

Of course there is little "excitement" over the team. There is generally very little excitement about any sport team in So Cal. Specially hockey. This is after all Orange County, California (far less people than in Los Angeles). It is however the home of one thousand and one things to do year round (day or night). Don't know how dudes from Canada could think it would be like Canada while working here.

Most of So Cal does not live or die with the sport teams (obviously more so with hockey). I am a die hard fan though and so are about 25-30K other fans in the immediate DUCKS stadium location.

We enjoy them and support them the best we can. They (the owners) do well enough through us so I don't really know what to say to those that think the OC should act like we are star struck about mostly Canadian sport heroes.

When they win, we celebrate and move on to the beach or some other thing thats available for us to entertain ourselves. When they lose, same thing.

Its a So Cal thing.

pands

As for the limited reporter thing, well, there is only one major newspaper in Orange County (Orange County Register) with a rapidly dwindling circulation and LA reporters don't necessarily care too much about whats going on in OC.

Between the OCR and the LA Times, they might just have 2 or 3 Ducks beat writers between them. So the numbers do add up.
      Last edited by Panoptes; February 4, 2010, 12:55 AM.
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• California is certainly a different lifestyle than in any other state.

When we lived in Atlanta, it was 80% SEC football (specifically UGA & GT) with the remaining 20% split between the Falcons, Braves, Thrashers & Hawks.

The "other" things to do there could not compete with what California offers.

I've never lived in So Cal, but for all the B.S. in the Bay Area, how cool is it to jump on a BART trains and go to SF for a fresh seafood lunch or Dim Sum in Chinatown.

Comment

• No you are absoltely right Gonz...Giguere didn't have anythng negative to say except it was nice to be in an area where fans get excited about the game. Wrangler, would never say anything bad about anybody or anyplace. He has always been a class act.

Comment

• and so are about 25-30K other fans in the immediate DUCKS stadium location.
            Probably migrated from the east, I thought the Wings played well. The Hockey Gods frowned on the Wings with the bad bounces last night. The Ducks first goal was a long lucky deflection, the second was an even luckier one that bordered on not a legal goal.

Kronner should be back on Saturday and 'The Mule' who has been sorely missed and can be the Wings best player (money in the playoffs) back on Tuesday... long way to go, and don't forget the Olympic break - Wings should be healthy and I think they will turn it up after the break.

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
              how cool is it to jump on a BART trains and go to SF for a fresh seafood lunch or Dim Sum in Chinatown.
              Up in S.F., YANK SING serves up righteous Dim Sum (near Market and 2nd St on Stevenson). A party of two drinking a few beers (Tsing Dao is tasty) with it can eat for about $100. Its very high end but the best I've ever had (in the states).

Down here, we often take the Metrolink from Irvine or Santa Ana up to LA Union Station, transfer to the yellow line and hit up the EMPRESS PAVILION in Chinatown for some great Dim Sum (best in LA they say). Its about a 45 minute fun one way trip. A party of four can eat well for about $35.

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                Probably migrated from the east, I thought the Wings played well. The Hockey Gods frowned on the Wings with the bad bounces last night. The Ducks first goal was a long lucky deflection, the second was an even luckier one that bordered on not a legal goal.

Kronner should be back on Saturday and 'The Mule' who has been sorely missed and can be the Wings best player (money in the playoffs) back on Tuesday... long way to go, and don't forget the Olympic break - Wings should be healthy and I think they will turn it up after the break.
                You're right.

The WINGS never use the deflection tactic to their advantage. ;)

From last nights game, it looked like new strategy by ANA in using the redirection as part of their attack against HOWARD. The extra pass by GETZ on the 3rd ANA goal was sweet. HOWARD was way out of position protecting the post angle as the puck was already behind him from center.

May good health be found by both teams.

Comment

• Been to Yank Sing once years ago. Excellent food! The beer (Tsing Tao) was quite tasty too.

If/when we get down there, we'll have to hook up and try Empress Pavilion.

BTW, who won last night. I turned it off when it was 3-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
                    Been to Yank Sing once years ago. Excellent food! The beer (Tsing Tao) was quite tasty too.

If/when we get down there, we'll have to hook up and try Empress Pavilion.

BTW, who won last night. I turned it off when it was 3-0.
                    The better team.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by bill catalano View Post
                      J adam your take on ericcson was dead on, he's been sent down.
                      Wow.. I thought maybe they'd sit him a few games or change the pairings but send him down? Ouch. Thats a shot to the ego. I hope finds his game. We need it come playoff time.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The Mule is coming back Tues!!!
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                          Wow.. I thought maybe they'd sit him a few games or change the pairings but send him down? Ouch. Thats a shot to the ego. I hope finds his game. We need it come playoff time.
                          He was sat down for 1 game. He has not been sent down. I don't even know if that is an option as he may be claimed if we try. Otherwise, I would send him down as a cap move, looking to bring him back for the playoffs (or golf if we miss the playoffs).

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                            The better team.
                            Thanks Smartass! That really helps!

Comment

• LOS ANGELES — As expected, the Red Wings have moved Ville Leino, opening the room they need to activate Johan Franzen when he returns Tuesday.

The Wings traded Leino to Philadelphia, in the Eastern Conference, for a fifth round pick in 2011 and defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen. Tollefsen will be put on waivers at noon today and, if he clears, will be sent to Grand Rapids Monday afternoon.

More tough decisions are on the way, however. Holland said Andreas Lilja, attempting to make a comeback after being out nearly a year because of a concussion, had another good game Friday for Grand Rapids, where he is on a conditioning stint.

The Wings have successfully petitioned the NHL for Lilja to play two more games, extending his stint in the minors through Friday. Holland said the Wings are trying to figure out if they have to make a decision on whether Lilja will be activated before the Olympic break begins Feb. 14.

Comment

• Wings sucked today. Now on the injury list: Holmstrom, Eaves, and Miller.

Comment

Working...
                                X