Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deacon Blues View Post
    if you go by TV ratings, then a NFL pre-season game between Detroit and Cleveland is better
    Possibly because the pre-season football games are scheduled in a way that people can plan around it and not planned around the networks other scheduled programs?
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I thought the Wings played really well, just the Penguins played inspired defensively. It seemed like they blocked a lot of shots. I don't like going to a game 7 but what can you do.

Comment

• I'm trying to think of one game this series where the Wings really came out strong right from the start of the game, and can't think of one. They have been notoriously slow starters all playoffs, it seems.

But this is what you want home ice advantage for, to have that energy from the crowd (and last change) for a final game if necessary.

Comment

• I didn't think they came out slow yesterday. They are pretty worried about Crosby and Malkin pouncing on mistakes so some of what people might see as starting slow may just be prudence defensively. I thought they were pretty good defensively in the first and had a few chances offensively but nothing was getting through to the net.

Comment

• We played like crap the first 35 minutes of the game
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
              We played like crap the first 35 minutes of the game
              Well you better step it up then.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I saw it differently, They played pretty good defensively. When you get down, you tend to start to pinch a little and you get more exposed, but you do get more pressure. Its not like the Wings didn't threaten, but they had an awful lot of shots go through. Of course they look a lot better trying to fight back being down 2-0, at that point getting caught pinching is not that much of an issue seeing that you need to score two goals. Getting the first goal is so important becuase it changes the dynamic of the game.

They are not playing the Columbus Blue Jackets, you can't take the same chances you can with them. The Penguins will make you pay in ways the other teams can't.

Comment

• froot i dont know waht game you were watching but the wings were being beat in practically every area of the game for 1st 30 or so mins. The Wings only had 3 shots on goal in the first period. The pens were beating them to the puck and were more physical than the wings. The Wings seemed like they were trying to protect a 2 goal lead for the 1st half of the game, they had no real fire on the offensive side of the game. That being said after the 1st goal and def in the 3rd period they seemed to realize in order to win the game they would actually have to score more goals than Pitts. And if they were able to score on the Clearly breakaway or the scramble in front of the net in the last minute and I have no doubt they would of won in overtime. But they didnt and thats what happens when you dont start fighting for scoring opportunities until the game is half way over.
                  asshole

Comment

• Well I've explained what I thought, the Penguins had a lot of blocked shots. 20 on the game. Its not like the Red Wings were in a shell. Of course they are playing a little cautiously and defensively, they are trying to get defensive matchups to keep control of Malkin and Crosby.

They were killing two penalties in the first. One after a missed chance by Zetterberg. That looked to be pretty bogus. They had a few other chances that were considered SOG becuase it was just redirected past the goal.

Comment

• Look at it another way, in Game 7 would you rather have them throw caution to the wind and pinch their defenseman and abandon the concept of three man high. You will see them get a lot of pressure but you might be down 2 or 3 goals. The Penguins on the whole have been very adept at counter striking. Lebda was pinching on the first goal and on the second goal one of the defenseman abandoned their defensive responsibility.

Also they didn't look all that good at the start of game 5, until they got the first goal. That changes everything.
                      Last edited by froot loops; June 10, 2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deacon Blues View Post
                        if you go by TV ratings, then a NFL pre-season game between Detroit and Cleveland is better
                        i don't go by TV ratings.

and I love to see some of the asshats in here walk up to a Wings player and bitch to his face that they didn't play hard for half the game. The ratings would be good for that.
                        Last edited by Masspartan; June 10, 2009, 11:17 AM.
                        Forever One!

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
                          Looking forward to game 7 .... Is there anything better in sports than a Stanley Cup Playoff game 7?
                          Paint drying? Water boiling? Grass growing? Soccer?
                          It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Comment

• "I'll change it up a bit. Penguins do not score on the power play, Crosby and Malkin do squat, and the Wings still lose! Why? Because they played conservatively and hoped they might steal one. Where was that famous killer instinct? With about 5 minutes to go in the second period they had 9 shots on goal. I guess they were only looking for high percentage shots. Oh, and I love the way Samuelsson sort of waved at Kennedy as he was putting in the game winner. Would it kill him to hit someone? Don't even get me started about Hossa. He played every game in Pittsburgh like he was apologizing for leaving, and he does marginally better in Detroit. World-class my ass!"
                            -----------------------Good job Rocky.

One of the reasons it didn't look like the Wings could get things going was many times they were dumping the puck in and changing lines to match up with the Crosby and Malkin line. They won't have to worry about that for the next game as they get the last change.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
                            GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Thats a big issue DanO. And conversely when they are down 2-0, that isn't as a big an issue because you are down 2-0 so you need to score and the Penguins aren't rolling them out as much to score. Both guys are pretty average defensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
                                i don't go by TV ratings.

and I love to see some of the asshats in here walk up to a Wings player and bitch to his face that they didn't play hard for half the game. The ratings would be good for that.
                                I would love to see you walk up to Pettigrew and bitch to his face that he was a bad pick. And that he doesnt have the pass catching ability you think he should have. And that the lions could have got someone of similiar value in the 3rd or 4th rnd.

The wings were outplayed by the pens for the 1st half of the game. The pens were beating the wings to loose pucks and were getting more shots and scoring opportunities.
                                asshole

Comment

Working...
                                X