Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deacon Blues View Post
    the Norris was a Division in the Wales Conference until 1981 when it moved to the Campbell Conference........

Changes from the 1980?1981 season
    • The Norris Division switches from the Prince of Wales Conference to the Clarence Campbell Conference
    • The Hartford Whalers and Montreal Canadiens move to the Adams Division
    • The Pittsburgh Penguins move to the Patrick Division
    • The Los Angeles Kings move to the Smythe Division
    • The Minnesota North Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs move in from the Adams Division
    • The Chicago Black Hawks, St. Louis Blues, and Winnipeg Jets move in from the Smythe Division
    Thanks for the correction Deac...
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Mark, there is more travel for the WESTERN CONFERENCE teams once the playoffs begin......... much more

but Gonz was infering that teams like the Wings have that advantage, too......
      I am guessing that a West Coast team that has to visit Vancouver in round one or round two would travel less than the Wings (an Eastern team but positioned in the Western Conference) will playing anyone in the Western Conference. Of course, if Chicago or Columbus ever makes the playoffs (and it looks like Chicago might this year, if not, next year for sure) then my statement is totally off base.

It also would depend on who has the home ice advantage. Traveling for that extra game (if a series goes to 7) would also add up the milage.

My point was, I don't think there is any team that has had to travel more for their quest for the cup than the Wings have had since the realignment.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I don't think Gonz is implying what you inferred. Detroit isn't an East team.

Comment

• READ FOR CONTENT AGAIN:

Originally Posted by froot loops

I think the change to make if you are making any change is to scrap the East vs. West conference style and mix them up. The East teams would never go for it because they have the advantage of low travel.

GONZ:

100% (edit in) correct

Pussy Easterners

For a West Coast team to win the cup involves not only great skill, but super human stamina.

*IF a change is made to make DET an Eastern team permanently (WE'RE NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFF TRAVEL!) that would just make their fans pussies like the other Eastern team fans that complain about the travel their team needs to make out west.

BFD

Let me ask you, is it more time consuming to fly from DET to anywhere in the N.E. or S.E. than it is from ANA?

During a years time, what team travels more miles, including the playoffs?
          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Detroit, since we at least know they will make the playoffs.

Comment

• Vancouver. They're a gazillion miles from everybody.
              I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Its not so much time travel time, its also the time zone difference. The only other team in the Western Conference that's in the Eastern Time Zone besides Detroit is Columbus. The Western Conference is spread across all 4 time zones, where as the Eastern Conference is localized to just the Eastern Time Zone.

Anyways, my desire to see the Wings in the Eastern Conference has nothing to do with the travel as it does the fact that I'd rather watch them compete against the other teams in the East as I previously mentioned, Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, etc.
                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I'd rather watch them compete against the Western teams rather than the Flyers or Rangers. Or the Bruins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
                    Its not so much time travel time, its also the time zone difference. The only other team in the Western Conference that's in the Eastern Time Zone besides Detroit is Columbus. The Western Conference is spread across all 4 time zones, where as the Eastern Conference is localized to just the Eastern Time Zone.

Anyways, my desire to see the Wings in the Eastern Conference has nothing to do with the travel as it does the fact that I'd rather watch them compete against the other teams in the East as I previously mentioned, Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, etc.
                    I understood your POV 100% from the get go. Froot Loops got it too.

Others ran with the subject matter and turned the topic solely into playoff travel details.

Its a long season before the playoffs even start.

Comment

• Anahamster will travel 47,900 miles this season
                      Red wings will travel 39,600
                      Islanders will travel 28,100
                      The only logical explanation is:
                      I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

Anahamster will travel 47,900 miles this season
                        Red wings will travel 39,600
                        Islanders will travel 28,100
                        As previously stated by another, its not just the mileage, its the time zone jumping that takes the biggest toll on the body.

Comment

• time zones do not mean much when you fly East, and play 3 hours early...it's like a weekend afternoon start.......

now starting games at 10:30 at night.......... that is brutal
                          The only logical explanation is:
                          I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• For the record, (and I hate to agree with Gonz), it has always been tougher on me traveling west-to-east than it is east-to-west.

And I'm only baseing that on trips to Asia.....
                            My hipocracy goes only so far.

Comment

• Based on that and without doing any research, I would expect the Wings to have more success on the road trips than their first couple games home AFTER the trip. But it all depends on how much time they have to relax after the trip home.
                              My hipocracy goes only so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
                                Vancouver. They're a gazillion miles from everybody.
                                a-HEM!
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X