No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious how many of Detroit's second round picks are on the team now?

Comment

• Goalie depth and Kane. Downgraded at defensemen.

Hard to see improvement.
      AAL - Glover Quinn

Comment

• Guise. Guise!

The big moves are coming!

Ya gotta believe me! Chris Illitch has never skimped out on his teams! I swarr!!!

Comment

• Is Yzerman covering for Chris Ilitch when he says he needs cap space?

This is an Yzerman problem. I get that you have a hard on for Chris Ilitch, but Steve has created this situation.
          Salary cap concerns means Steve Yzerman can't guarantee he will retain any of his potential unrestricted free agents.

Comment

• As it stands if you look at Spotrac, the Red Wings should have 21.5 million
            ​​​​​in cap room and it sounds like they are devoting 16-17 million to Seider/Raymond. When they sign those two, they'll have 20 players signed with 4 of those ayers being goalies.

You can't have guys like Husso and Holland taking up 8 million if they aren't producing.
            Last edited by froot loops; July 2, 2024, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              Is Yzerman covering for Chris Ilitch when he says he needs cap space?

This is an Yzerman problem. I get that you have a hard on for Chris Ilitch, but Steve has created this situation.
              It's an Yzerman problem in that he hasn't made every decision perfectly. He's been at this point an extremely middling GM. But you can go to literally any team and find two or three contracts that shouldn't be there based on the production they are getting. Even Florida and Edmonton have garbage contracts on their payroll.

It shouldn't be crippling the Red Wings, either. Yet it sure seems to be, and I'm arguing at least part of that reason is the miserly owner that is artificially keeping the operating budget lower than it should be.

Comment

• Last year they had 3 million in cap room, that's not a lot. Again, last year Raymond cost 925k, he's projected to get an 8 million dollar AAV contract. Seider cost 863k and he is also projected to get a 7-9 million AAV contract. Patrick Kane cost 2.75 million and for this year his new contract is 4 million + incentives. That means they have to find 15 million alone for those three.

Again, right now according to spotrac they have 26 million in cap space and they haven't accounted for Talbot and Gustafson which are 4.5 million AAV combined. To me that says they are down to 21 million without accounting for Seider and Raymond which is going to account for probably 16 million. So right now that means 5 million left and 4 players short of a full roster.

Say you have a spendthrift owner, how are you getting another big time player?

The big time players have to be Raymond, Larkin and Seider.

Comment

• You keep saying that is so little cap room, yet even at its peak, the Wings were only 25th of 32 teams in payroll.

So, it's either one of two things, either the cap isn't as hard as you want to believe it is, or 24 teams are cheating somehow.

Comment

• Aren't you the one famous for saying, "The cap never stopped a team from getting the players they want?"

Comment

• Not for hockey. That's football. It's a hard cap with guaranteed contracts, a totally different. It really puts the crunch on you if two of your best players were making less than a million and are now going to command around 8 million. I'm not sure why you won't recognize that .

You keep on throwing out the 25th out of 32 in payroll last year. That's true but it's not that illuminating. They only had 3.2 million in cap space, in player terms that is Jake Walman. That ranking is skewed by teams with Long Term Injury adjustments, 12 teams have them, the Wings do not. It's all available on Spotrac, you can look for yourself.

Let me ask you again, they have 21 million left. 18 players on the roster and they are probably on the hook for 16 million to Raymond and Seider. What can they do to get this next superstar? You seem to have all the answers but aren't really providing them to us ignoramuses. If you only have 5 million to play with with 20 players on the roster you don't have much to play with. If they follow d your advice and kept Walman they wouldn't have anything to play with.

​​​

Comment

• The case for banging on Ilitch for being cheap is much more applicable to the Tigers where there is no cap and and the Tigers are 25th in total cash at 110 million and the median team is San Diego with 164 million. That's a difference of 54 million, which could buy a few decent players.

With 3 million in cap space for the Wings, there really isn't much more you can do and because they had cap space in 2024, they were able to get Patrick Kane in mid season when he was ready to play.

Comment

• The issue again, wasn't specifically moving Walman. The issue was moving him for NOTHING, and that you need a pretty damn good reason for that.

The reason appears to be "salary dump." Which is fine, again on its own. The question was what they planned to do with the money.

Which apparently the answer is, "run it back." Okay. That's fine. But now we can stop pretending that the Wings are going to make a splash, and we can argue whose fault that actually is.

Comment

• You never seen me saying they are going to make a big splash this off-season with new players. They didn't have the cap space, they moved Walman to create cap space just to be able to sign players. The big splash last year was trading for DeBrincat and signing him to a 4 year 31 million dollar extension along with Larkin's 8 year 70 million dollar extension.

This year's big splash is re-signing Kane and extending Seider and Raymond. 24 million for those three this year versus 5 million last season. That's a splash. I'm not sure why anyone thought there was going to be something bigger than that. They didn't have the space for it and that's why they had to trade Walman to free up space. This is a common strategy. It's similar to the Pistons getting 3 draft picks and THJ so the Mavericks could clear cap space.

​​​​

Comment

• I didn't think that. I knew the Wings were going to largely stand pat. We agree on that much.

We disagree as to WHY the Wings are largely standing pat.

Comment

• Ok, so what can they do that you would do to not stand pat. Are you signing Seider and Raymond to bridge contracts? You are seemingly working in a world where you still get to pay those two the minimum.

Comment

Working...
                                X