Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    I think they would pay Mike Green. But would Mike Green want to play for Mike Babcock?
    I am guessing no.

Seems to me he was a FA a few years ago and turned down the Wings offer.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure this is his first time as a free agent.

Comment

• I'd rather pony up elite cash for Green vice trading for Phaneuf.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The Red Wings would get a third-round draft pick once within the framework of the next three years if Babcock leaves.

Mike Babcock wants to find out just how coveted he is by other NHL teams, signaling that his tenure with the Detroit Red Wings soon might end.

After spending the past week talking multiple times with Babcock, general manager Ken Holland announced today that "we're going to give Mike Babcock permission to explore other opportunities."

Holland wants to have the situation resolved within two to three weeks. If Babcock leaves, Holland said the Grand Rapids Griffins' Jeff Blashill would be a candidate to take over in Detroit.

Several NHL teams have head coaching vacancies, including Buffalo, Toronto, San Jose, New Jersey and Philadelphia. Edmonton technically still has Todd Nelson at the helm, but the Oilers are certain to still make a run at Babcock. Other teams also might take a look at what they have and decide that they're better off if they can lure Babcock.

Teams would have to sign a letter in order to gain permission to talk to Babcock, agreeing to compensate the Wings a third-round draft pick once within the next three years. The year would be at the choice of the signing team.

Holland reiterated numerous times that the Wings would like Babcock back -- but only if he wants the same thing.

"If there is a better situation out there for Mike Babcock, he's earned the right to explore that," Holland said.

Babcock, 52, is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, coaches in the NHL. He is believed to be seeking at least $4 million per year, double his current salary. He wants to be the league's highest-paid coach (currently believed to be Chicago's Joel Quenneville, with a base salary of $2.75 million). The Wings have offered four years at $3.25 million annually.

Holland said last week that money would not be an issue, but if money is Babcock's primary concern, it's a safe bet that Toronto, a billion-dollar franchise, will be able to outbid anyone.

Holland and Babcock both are still planning to spend next week at the world championships in Prague. Before leaving on Sunday, Babcock may well be on his phone quite a bit. Holland said that teams already had called to ask permission, which Holland denied, before an illuminating conversation last week while carpooling to Grand Rapids.

"As we sat in the car for four hours, he told me that, 'If I come back, I'd like to know this is place I want to be,'" Holland said. "My feeling is he's earned that right.

"I want Mike to be here because he thinks this is best situation for him and his family and his career and family. I believe he is happy. He has lots of good feelings about being here. He's done fabulous job putting young kids into lineup, but I want him to be here. He needs to find that out and talk to teams that do have interest in him. I understand there's risk involved, but that was the case anyway. Given his status in the industry, is there potential that he chooses to go elsewhere? Absolutely."

Babcock could simply have let his contract run out June 30 and then talked to other teams. Neither side really wanted that scenario. At least in this case, the Wings get a draft pick.

"If he finds better situation," Holland said, "I'll shake his hand and thank him for 10 fabulous years."
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Translation: We're moving on, but we don't want it to seem like we're just cutting Babcock loose... so we're gonna let someone else jump in and we'll just shrug like we couldn't feasibly match the offer.

Comment

• Hmmmmmm.

Wings give Babcock permission to talk to other teams for a few weeks. In the mean time, he will be traveling with Holland to Helsinki to watch their last years #1 pick in the world juniors to decide if he should be signed to a contract or go back to Michigan for his sophomore season.

Comment

• Is that Larkin? My cousin (who is not a Wings fan) said he's supposed to be pretty good.

Comment

• Go Ducks, go!

Chi v Ana

Western conference finals 2015
                  19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• That, is going to be a great series!

Go Ducks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                      Is that Larkin? My cousin (who is not a Wings fan) said he's supposed to be pretty good.
                      Yup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                        Go Ducks, go!

Chi v Ana

Western conference finals 2015
                        Good luck to the Ducks Gonz. Watched them clinch over the Flames last night. After that Perry hit, the Ducks seemed to kick it into another gear.

Hope the Ducks make it to the finals for ya. Oh, and for me too cause I cannot stand the Blackhawks. Go Ducks, go!
                        All emotions can be traced back to two basic ones........love and fear.

Comment

• Thanks MM and SM

I figured the Ducks might garner some thumbs up feedback here for nothing more than hating the hawks more.

The hawks are formidable and should make for a great WCF for all NHL fans.

Comment

• GO DUCKS!!!
                            GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• F the ducks!!! I refuse to root for another team!
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I don't think they're rooting for ANA as much as they hope to see CHI lose.

Ftr, I was surprised to see that anyone here was still watching the NHL after the wings got bounced. That seems to be the norm back that way after your team is out, you stop watching altogether.

Comment

Working...
                                X