No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That might be true if we see no other moves. I have been the original Chris Ilitch basher, so I'm skeptical of him as well. Last year they were obstinate in refusing to bring up Edvinsson because of the logjam with the defenseman. Walman wasn't playing at all at the end of the season. If they have something like 8 million in cap space at the start of the year you would be right. But as it stands, this could be a move to clear cap space for another move. They need to sign Raymond, Seider, Kane and Gostisbehere at minimum so the cap space they look like they have is a little misleading.
    Last edited by froot loops; June 26, 2024, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, he no longer gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Any move he makes is because he's a cheapskate, and he needs to prove otherwise... especially when they are moves that literally do nothing but cut payroll.

Comment

• Do you believe that's the only trade they will make and they will sit on their money? The guy was a healthy scratch, should they have kept him around to sit the bench and collect $3.4 million a year for the next two years?

The correct criticism is of Yzerman, he is the one that signed Walman to the 3 year 10 million dollar extension in February 2023 and now he is sending a 2nd round pick to the Sharks to take the salary.
        Last edited by froot loops; June 26, 2024, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Again, when you make a move in which its only effect is cutting payroll, especially when both franchises you own already are among the lowest payrolls in two separate sports, my immediate reaction is going to be that you're cutting payroll.

If the Wings follow it up with some moves that actually put them somewhere in the upper half of the league, fine. I'll eat my crow.

But I strongly suspect when all the dust settles, the Wings are going be in the bottom third in spending, and that this move will prove to be what is on its face; a move to keep the Wings under an artificially low budget.

Comment

• But did you think it would be better to keep Walman on the roster a 3.5 million a year and not play him? He did not play the last week as a healthy scratch.

Comment

• The player is irrelevant. It could have Larkin for all it matters in this context.

What's the point in moving anyone, right now, for literally nothing? What? Was Nashville going to... drop the offer to less than nothing somehow? Were they going to demand a first round pick if Yzerman didn't act right now?

When a move is made in which the only function it serves is cutting payroll, with a guy that has a history of cutting payroll, I'm going to assume the purpose was to cut payroll. If new information emerges, I will reconsider my "hot take."

This isn't hard to grasp.

Comment

• Huh? You are complaining and you don't even know who Walman was traded to

Answer the question, would it have been better to have Walman drawing a paycheck as a healthy scratch? It would be like if the Tigers sent a draft pick for another team to take on Javy Baez, you would complain. Yes, Chris Ilitch is cheap, but you are turning into Maslow's Hammer. Steve Yzerman can get some criticism for this, it's OK.

One of the ridiculous things about the Wings last year is they kept Edvinsson in Grand Rapids because they didn't have roster slots. Yzerman deserves the criticism for this, he shouldn't have signed Walman to that extension. It was a mistake, it was bad job by the GM. Same thing goes for the Kostin deadline deal.

If you aren't going to play the guy, you shouldn't be paying him. Free agency is in a week and they have to sign Gostisbehere before that. The point in moving him now is the draft is Friday. I'm sure San Jose wanted to use the pick Friday.

​​​

Comment

• My bad. There were two moves made the same day, one with Nashville and one with San Jose, and I got them mixed in my head.

Comment

• As for the question, if you trade a player for nothing, there better be a pretty good reason for doing so.

Right now, the only reason I see is salary dump. Maybe when all the dust settles, that dump will prove to be necessary, but knowing Chris I's miserly ways... I am EXTREMELY doubtful it will be.

Comment

• It was a salary dump in the same way the Kostin trade was a salary dump. I'm sure when Yzerman speaks he will say that like he did with the Kostin trade. If he couldn't afford to be paying Kostin 2 million a year to not play as Yzerman stated at the time, the same logic goes for Walman. If a guy can't see the ice in the most important week of the season, you have to get rid of him in a capped system. These are poor reflections on the general manager, the salary cap management hasn't been great.

Chris Ilitch is a miser, but it's a lot different in hockey than baseball. Last year the Wings only had about 4 million in cap space. They have 32 million now, but they only have 12 guys on the roster. If they are 7-10 million under the cap during the season, I will agree with you. As it is now, I will consider this as normal shit that happens during the off-season before free agency starts.

Comment

• Wings take someone who projects to be a top-six forward two-way player. Book on him says he's effective, a good defensive forward that can score, but is never going to wow any highlight reels.

I'll take that.
                        Last edited by chemiclord; June 29, 2024, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Sounds pretty good from what I've seen of him. Great shot
                          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• * SUPER THANKS ARE AVAILABLE NOW! Feel free to support the channel*Name : Michael Brandsegg-NygardÂge : 18Birthplace : Oslo, NorwayHeight : 6'01Weight : 198 ...

From the WJC. Yeah pretty good
                            WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Is Trouba to Det happening?
                              AAL - Glover Quinn

Comment

• I'm ready to be disappointed.

Chris I. hasn't failed me yet on that score.

Comment

Working...
                                X