No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeke was an asshole, but he was our asshole. Yzerman was the epitome of class. Both were great in their own ways.
    Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• well said FVD
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• And you should also remember how he led the team to two titles. He was The Captain, without him the franchise stays a backwater team.

Again, you were arguing like Yzerman was the only one who should be called The Captain because it was some kind of moniker that was only applied to him. It was applied to Thomas before him. It was applied to Lidtrom after him. Lidstrom was very classy and The Captain moniker was appropriate.

Comment

• Nick was the captain, sans caps
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• So given that backdrop, and Henrik having only worn the C for one year, it seems premature to give him the highest full honorific as the team leader. Just my opinion of course.
            Fact of the matter is, wearing the C makes him the Captain and performances like he had in this series is what may make him a legendary Captain.

He has had great performances in the playoffs before now, he just was not wearing the C.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• meh

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                And you should also remember how he led the team to two titles. He was The Captain, without him the franchise stays a backwater team.

Again, you were arguing like Yzerman was the only one who should be called The Captain because it was some kind of moniker that was only applied to him. It was applied to Thomas before him. It was applied to Lidtrom after him. Lidstrom was very classy and The Captain moniker was appropriate.
                No, it wasn't appropriate for Lidstrom. Yzerman earned the moniker after years and years of being captain of the Wings. Lidstrom was only captain for a few years. Not long enough for The Captain moniker. When I think of Lidstrom I'll always remember the 'A' on his jersey.
                Last edited by CaptainBlue; May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• I thought Jeter was The Captain?
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• in baseball, yes

Comment

• I hate to break it too you guys (and gals) but the term "The Captain" refers to the member of the team that is elected/appointed to lead the team and be the go between with the players, coaches and officials. All of the major sports teams have one (some two) and it is not a term of endearment or an exclusive label (other than in most cases, there is only one on each team).

Yzerman will always be referred to by Wings fans as The Captain and rightfully so. He held the title longer than any other Wing and backed up his leadership expectations with his play.

Clinton will always be called Mr. President even though he doesn't come close to accomplishing what Roosevelt did.

........and despite the fact there is a current Mr. President.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptainBlue View Post
                        No, it wasn't appropriate for Lidstrom. Yzerman earned the moniker after years and years of being captain of the Wings. Lidstrom was only captain for a few years. Not long enough for The Captain moniker. When I think of Lidstrom I'll always remember the 'A' on his jersey.

This means I'm really right.

Comment

• It was totally appropriate for Lidstrom. People freely used the term for him during his captaincy and it wasn't out of place. He led the team remarkably, was the first European captain to hoist the Stanley Cup and was one of the greatest players in the history of the NHL. So theres that.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            It was totally appropriate for Lidstrom. People freely used the term for him during his captaincy and it wasn't out of place. He led the team remarkably, was the first European captain to hoist the Stanley Cup and was one of the greatest players in the history of the NHL. So theres that.
                            Wrong. Lidstrom didn't have to do anything leadership wise. That team still had strong roots from the Yzerman era. Lidstrom was a great player and the first European captain to hoist the cup, but that doesn't make him a great leader and it doesn't make worthy of being called The Captain. That is something you earn over a 10-20 year span.

Comment

• so I think we should settle on Captain Zee...kinda has a nice comic book ringt to it...Malto I am serious, the quote button is gone...In advanced reply all the emoticons are missing and where people have attached pics, I simply have an attached pictures frame.....I must have accidentally hit some setting that I know nothing about....

BTW...How was business for mother's day?

Comment

• BTW...How was business for mother's day?
                                Brisk, thanks for asking.

Looks like we will be able to eat this week.;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X