X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chara won the Lidstrom trophy? Damn.

Comment

• Gordie Howe: Cut Crosby some slack on handshakes

TORONTO — Mr. Hockey says people should cut Sid The Kid some slack.

Hockey legend Gordie Howe doesn’t believe Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby intentionally failed to shake hands with some Detroit players after Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Howe said Crosby’s natural shyness combined with getting caught up in the emotion of winning an NHL championship resulted in Crosby getting in line to shake hands after some Red Wings had left the ice.

“He got caught up,” Howe said Thursday after serving as the Queen’s Plate honorary drawmaster at Woodbine Racetrack. “He will mature.

“He’s a good kid.”

During a chaotic post-game scene on the crowded Joe Louis Arena ice following Pittsburgh’s 2-1 victory, Crosby was ushered to several live television interviews, hugged some teammates and was presented the Stanley Cup by commissioner Gary Bettman.

Crosby was celebrating when Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom, assistant Kris Draper and some other key Red Wings went to their dressing room. Crosby did get into line to shake hands with Detroit players, including head coach Mike Babcock and goalie Chris Osgood.

Draper later ripped Crosby, accusing him of snubbing Lidstrom during post-game handshakes.

But Howe, 81, defended Crosby, saying the Penguins superstar is really very shy. In fact, during a recent visit with Crosby, Howe added the Pittsburgh captain didn’t say a word.

“He’s too damn shy,” Howe said. “He never said a word, never blinked.

“During the five minutes I talked to him I basically said, ‘Don’t let anything bother you, just keep on the right road. You’re on the right road and you’re doing a hell of a lot of good jobs and good luck.’ He just stared at me, turned around and walked away.”

And that brought a smile to Howe’s face.

“I just grinned and said, ‘That takes me back to the days where I used to hide,’” Howe said. “That’s because I was afraid I might say something wrong.

“I was the same way. I’d go into the washroom and take about a half-hour shower and they (reporters) would get sick of waiting and leave. I was afraid of saying something wrong and I think he’s in that same situation, he doesn’t know what to say, what is right and what is wrong?’”

Howe — whose wife Colleen died in March at age 76 of Pick’s disease, a degenerative brain disorder — also remembers superstar Wayne Gretzky initially being very shy.

“The first time I met Wayne Gretzky ... he never said anything back,” Howe said. “The second time, we couldn’t shut him up.

“It’s just kids. We all have to learn.”

As for Crosby’s ability as a hockey player, Howe said there’s plenty to be impressed with.

“I’m not going to say he knows everything, but he’s getting there fast,” Howe said. “A couple more years if he stays healthy, who knows?”

Howe said during his glory days with the Red Wings in the 1950s and ’60s, the rivalries between teams were very intense, to the point where it was hard to shake hands after a series ended.

“When we had it you lined up at the blue-line and just banged hands,” he said. “You’re punching them in the nose and five minutes later you’re going to shake his hand?

“To hell with that. Maybe they shouldn’t even have the players out there.”

The Detroit-Pittsburgh final was an exciting one which saw the Penguins rally to capture the Stanley Cup by winning the final two games of the series. But Howe says he didn’t see it.

“Since I retired I’ve had to work,” he said with a chuckle.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• ?During the five minutes I talked to him I basically said, ?Don?t let anything bother you, just keep on the right road. You?re on the right road and you?re doing a hell of a lot of good jobs and good luck.? He just stared at me, turned around and walked away.?
        Shy? He probably walked away muttering "who the hell was that old, white-haired guy".

Comment

• “During the five minutes I talked to him I basically said, ‘Don’t let anything bother you, just keep on the right road. You’re on the right road and you’re doing a hell of a lot of good jobs and good luck.’ He just stared at me, turned around and walked away.”
          Mr. congieniality eh? Really knows how to handle compliments.
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Wow rock!!! That is some new pic!!

Its taken me awhile to come back to this thread. It still hurts.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I inserted her during Game 7, but she wasn't able to coax the boys to victory. I believe the Wings would have won had they not been a walking MASH unit, but injuries are part of the game. Thank the Ducks and Blackhawks for that.

Comment

• She's really helping me forget
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                  I inserted her during Game 7, but she wasn't able to coax the boys to victory. I believe the Wings would have won had they not been a walking MASH unit, but injuries are part of the game. Thank the Ducks and Blackhawks for that.
                  ....no. Thank the Coach for not going with the guys that got them to the Finals but the guys he felt should make a legacy for themselves. He had the firepower, he just used the wrong personnel.

I understand why he did what he did but, I believe he learned a lesson.

Comment

• You're assuming that the young guys would have played better. I would have gone with them too, but there's no guarantee that it would have turned out differently had they played. Injuries were definitely a factor that couldn't be overcome.

Mark, didn't you ask me to post a picture of a girl with big boobs if you were wrong about something? I can't find the post, but I obliged you anyway.

Comment

• Stevie Y in the HOF. Well deserved.

Comment

• LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC ROBATAILLE into the HOF as well.

He deserves it as one of the best ever LW's.

I dug his game all those years he was an LA King (first time)
                        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Too bad he had to go to Detroit to win the cup.
                          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

You're assuming that the young guys would have played better. I would have gone with them too, but there's no guarantee that it would have turned out differently had they played. Injuries were definitely a factor that couldn't be overcome.

Mark, didn't you ask me to post a picture of a girl with big boobs if you were wrong about something? I can't find the post, but I obliged you anyway.
                            It's kinda tough to say that because in this case... the young guys, especially Leino and Abelkader, did play better, and in that very Final at that. A lot of this series hinged on Pittsburgh simply winning the majority of those "hustle" and "energy" plays, the very things those young guys were providing.

Once again, it's a decision made in retrospect. You can certainly understand Babcock's reasoning, and 9 times out of 10 is going to be the right call. It just seems this case was that 1 time it wasn't.

It really is time to cast Maltby away at least. I'm trying to remember the last time he had any impact on a playoff series. The dude is worthless at this point. At least Draper can still win faceoffs.

Comment

You're assuming that the young guys would have played better. I would have gone with them too, but there's no guarantee that it would have turned out differently had they played. Injuries were definitely a factor that couldn't be overcome.

Yes I did and thank you!

Comment

• All hail the Lords of the Rink: Stevie Y, Brett Hull, Luc R. Congrats, men.

Comment

Working...
                                X