No announcement yet.

Game Day! Week 2 - Bucs @ Lions - 1 pm eastern on Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of the problem (and I think part of what defenses have "figured out") is that the running game and Goff kinda both like to utilize the same part of the field (short, intermediate middle). Both the Rams and the Bucs have used that against the Lions; plugging the middle of the field with defenders that can crash down quickly in response to a running play.

You'll notice that the best plays the Lions have run so far have been to the edges or the sidelines. Play action can also eviscerate that strategy, but it requires Goff hitting his target, which he hasn't been doing very well these first two weeks.

Comment

• The hope is these two teams are just tough matchups. Both the Bucs and Rams were playoff opponents and they've each played Dan Campbell three times. Both games, the linebackers played very well but both teams have good line backing crews.

Their is an element of teams knowing what the Lions want to do, but that's the case with every established contender. This is big boy stuff now. There is no sneaking up on anybody.

Comment

• The Cardinals whomping the Rams makes me a bit concerned that the Lions could not move the ball very well against that same defense.

Comment

• Not sure if anyone can agree with this perspective, maybe I’m just old but
          when the team was bad you always looked at the good teams and wondered why the Lions couldn’t be like that.
          Now you see, or least I do, once you do play well and have above average players how much work it took to get there and how much work it’s going to take to stay there.
          I have more respect for the organizations that have continually success over many years.
          The Lions are well run now but it’s going to take continued hard work and progress in talent just to stay there.
          Most games are dog fights even for the best teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Maybe the Lions should play the starters a bit in pre-c

This. Not only so the starters have some recent game experience, but also so the coaches have some recent experience coaching the starters lol.

Originally posted by ghandi View Post

I watched a Jared Goff highlight reel from 2023...I was really surprised how often the big plays were to Josh Reynolds. If you just look at the numbers it is nt impressive, but when I saw the plays and how often they were on film, especially the first half of the season or so, Josh R was a bigger part of the offense than people realize. Myabe he isnt that great of a player, but he is someone that Goff felt very comfortable with and that he is missing that this year.
            Yes! They miss Reynolds and I think they're also missing Jonah Jackson.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              The Cardinals whomping the Rams makes me a bit concerned that the Lions could not move the ball very well against that same defense.
              I also have that concern, but I think some of the offensive problems the Lions had with the Rams was they were losing the TOP battle. In regulation the Lions only scored 20 points, but they also only had 9 possessions when the NFL average for a game is 11 possessions. They only had 59 plays in that game.

The optimistic take on yesterdays game was they won the TOP battle, had 83 offensive plays, had 11 offensive possessions and 7 trips into the red zone that only resulted in one score. Just bad plays, weird coaching at the end of the halves and bad quarterback play that had them lose to a team that only gained 216 yards . Comparing this game to what we've seen from the Lions since November 2021 until now this seems like an aberration. But it's the ultimate reminder that the NFL is the ultimate shit happens league

Comment

• But that begs the question why they couldn't maintain drives against a defense that looked like tissue paper against Cards.

For now, I'm just chalking this up to to a little rust they are still knocking off on offense and new roles in some spots. But I do think until they can prove they can consistently threaten teams outside the numbers and down the field, we are going to see teams pack the middle and force Goff to beat them without throwing his favorite routes.

Comment

• Rams were depleted. Just like the Lions that Sunday opener was physical and emotional.
                  Lions will have tough time defending Murray.

I think the Lions are going to have to make next game into a low scoring going it out game to win.
                  I don’t believe Lions are at the point when they are going to be putting 40 points on someone yet.

Comment

• The Rams had the TOP and more plays on offense. If the Lions had more possessions I believe they would have scored in the 30's.

Yesterday, they won TOP and had 83 plays yet only scored 16 points. Yesterday was a bigger concern even if they move the ball in between the 20s with a certain amount of ease
                    Last edited by froot loops; September 16, 2024, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Look at the box score. Some things stand out.

lions:
                      5 yards per rush
                      over 100 on ground
                      over 300 passsing
                      double the first downs compared to bucs
                      passing 16, 7 rushing. Vs 7 pass 3 rush for tampa
                      3 4th conversions
                      Double offensive plays
                      1 pick
                      5 sacks

bucs:
                      2 converted third downs all game
                      Did stop lions on 2 4ths late
                      2 picks (1st was PI but resulted in 3)

Cambell botched the end of half. Lost points.

Its probably harder to score 16 or less with those advantages. Shows how many opportunities were missed.

Defense was good. Goff was not. Watching the game Detroit looked behind. Loss is on Goff and the offense

AAL - Glover Quinn

Comment

Working...
                      X