Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game week thread - SNF Rams @ Lions - Sunday, Sept 8, 8:20 pm eastern - LFG!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard something als othat the Rams OL is a bit in disarray also? Jonah starting at center and I thought I heard their starting LT is suspended for 2 games?

Comment

Ok, I'm ready. Kick the damn ball.

BTW, I bought my very first piece of lions merch (a sweatshirt).

Long boring story alert:

When I was around 18-19 y.o. (1975?) when i was at an event that had Russ Thomas as a guest. After hearing him talk about football turned me off the Lions management until now. I told myself that I wouldn't give this organization a dime of my money until they become a serious football organization.
      Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

Dear wives of NFL players,

We don't care about your opinion of our city.

Thank you for your attention,
        El Axe

Comment

Pride of Detroit Direct
          by Jeremy Reisman

This is from Friday. Sorry about posting it late, but it's still in time for tonight's Rams game. whatever_gong82

We made it to Week 1. It may have been the shortest Detroit Lions offseason by actual length, but, man, did it feel like it was longer than ever. I suppose that’s what happens when a season ends so tragically and abruptly, combined with the following season being so anticipated.

It’s a new season of Pride of Detroit Direct, and so I’m going to playing around with some new and improved additions to the newsletter. Of course, every preview edition like this will now include our First Byte podcast preview with an opponent guest. But I’m also playing around with a neat idea that will give you insider access to the Lions’ gameplan for each week.

But before we get into either of those, let’s set the table.

It’s time to be comfortable being comfortable

If you followed us last year, you know I became a bit obsessed with the phrase “Let’s get comfortable being uncomfortable.” The motto was uttered by the incomparable Dan Miller in his epic pre-game speech before the Lions’ 2022 Week 15 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings. If you want to get all fired up again, I highly recommend watching the entire thing again, but here’s the money quote:

“Let’s get comfortable with being uncomfortable because you know what uncomfortable is? It means you’re good. It means you have expectations upon you–and now this team does.”

That motto helped carry my anxiety for all of last year. Everything was new to us, and like most Lions fans, I didn’t trust the success. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I figured the Vikings would make a late-season run and rip the division from our hands. I had deep anxiety that Matthew Stafford would shatter the dreams of Detroit in the cruelest of ironies that seemed tailor made for this franchise’s tragic history. But throughout it all, I clung to “comfortable being uncomfortable” like a security blanket. This is what all good teams go through, and the Lions are good.

It’s time to grow up and ditch the blankie.

The Detroit Lions are Super Bowl contenders. Full stop. If that makes you uncomfortable to read or say out loud, stop right here and say it again. Say it with your chest.

The Lions Super Bowl predictions are coming in hot and heavy, whether it be an ESPN simulation, respected national analysts like Robert Mays, Sports Illustrated, a slew of Boston Globe writers, a pair of NFL.com writers, a couple SB Nation writers, and countless others to come in the next 48 hours or so–it’s real. It’s all real.

And while I understand that this next step in the franchise’s progress is scary, deeply look inside yourself and ask yourself this simple question: Do you really have any doubts about the legitimacy of this franchise right now? What more do they actually have to go out and prove?

Worried about playing with such high expectations? How quickly you forget last season. They were heavy favorites to win the division, and what did they do? They ran away with it… then shocked everyone by nearly making the damn Super Bowl in their first year of a realistic competitive window.

Worried about Jared Goff still not being one of those elite guys? Do I need to pull out this pair of tweets again? In case you’re too lazy to click through, here’s the reminder: Since Thanksgiving of 2021, Goff ranks in the top 10 among NFL quarterbacks in:

Completion percentage (8th)

-Yards (3rd)
          -Yards per attempt (4th)
          -Touchdown passes (4th)
          -Interceptions (6th fewest)
          -Passer rating (5th)

This is no longer a blip on the radar. We’re talking about a 39 game sample here. Goff is legit.

Do you really have any doubts that being the “hunted” instead of the “hunter” is going to make a difference with this team? Certainly, you don’t have any doubts about Dan Campbell getting this team motivated anymore. He’s had this team ready to knock the Packers out of the playoffs. He proved the national stage of opening week in Arrowhead was not too daunting. He showed the weight of 30 years of postseason failure and the overwhelming pressure on a quarterback to stick it to his own team would not cause this team to buckle.

Certainly you’re not worried that offensive coordinator Ben Johnson isn’t going to figure out a way to move this offense without a clear WR-X. If you are, may I remind you that the corpse of Marvin Jones played in six games last year (starting four), and Detroit went 5-1 over that time while averaging 28.0 points per game. Or need I remind you that the Lions’ offensive turnaround in 2021 happened with Tom Kennedy regularly getting over a dozen snaps a game down the stretch.

Okay, maybe you’re worried about the defense, then. There’s at least a little bit of an argument there. The Lions have certainly been held back by their defense in each season under defensive coordinator Aaron Glwnn.

Of course, you’d be ignoring the fact that Detroit finished with the No. 2 run defense last year. You’d also be overlooking that they got as far as they did last year with the 23rd ranked defense by scoring.

Certainly you can’t look at their 2024 roster and feel like they’re in a worse spot. Plus, it’s hard to ignore the growing number of stars in that defensive lineup: Aidan Hutchinson, Alim McNeill, DJ Reader, and Brian Branch have already established themselves. Meanwhile, you throw in the young, untapped potential of Levi Onwuzurike, Jack Campbell, and Terrion Arnold, and we’re already talking about seven of 11 players on that side of the ball. It may not be perfect, but it doesn’t have to be. The 2022 Chiefs ranked 16th in points allowed before winning the Super Bowl. The year before that, the Rams ranked 15th. That’s a certainly attainable goal, and–quite frankly–I’d be disappointed if Detroit’s defense finished that low. I think they’re capable of being a top-10 squad.

What I’m trying to tell you is that any reservations about this team not being a Super bowl contender is coming from a place of irrationality. That’s fine. Most fears are completely irrational. I won’t knowingly walk under a seagull, because I’m convinced they aim their poop at human heads.

But you’re going to enjoy this season so much more if you leave that anxiety behind. Because if you give into those fears, the minute the Lions hit a bit of turbulence–and they will–you’re going to jump into SOL territory.

Instead, bask in the fun of heightened expectations. Enjoy the extra attention from national analysts, and the fun film breakdowns from experts who have never given the Lions an extra thought over the past three decades. And more importantly, enjoy every step of this season, because we know what the other side looks like.

I’m not going to promise you the Lions are going to win the Super Bowl. I can’t even promise you the division. But this team is immensely talented, well coached, managed by a brilliant personnel evaluator, and ran by a devoted owner who has shown throughout her professional career that she knows how to build a successful organization. Don’t you see how lucky we are? Don’t you know how long we’ve waited for this?

If you can’t sit back and just enjoy that for a few months without fearing what’s next, you’ve come to the wrong place. We’re going to have ourselves one fucking great year, y’all.

A Quick Chat, featuring LB Derrick Barnes

This year, I’m going to try to use this weekly section to have a quick chat with a Lions player in the locker room. I figured there are ways to utilize my access that I haven’t in the past, and what better way to share that than with you loyal subscribers. So my plan is to have a quick Q&A with one Lions player every week about their season, their upcoming opponent and anything else that comes up.

We kick off the series with the extremely-easy-to-talk-to Derrick Barnes. Enjoy.

[Note: The interview has been lightly edited for clarity sake]

Jeremy: The SAM linebacker position seems tailor made for you. What do you like about it?

Barnes: “I think it just allows me to show my true skill being versatile, whether that’s setting the edge, rushing, being in coverage, being able to be stacked in some scenarios. It’s just an all-round position that you want a guy who’s versatile to play in, and I’m blessed and honored that coaches believe I’m the guy for that position. I’ve been loving it. Obviously, it’s a good opportunity to make plays at that position, so I’m excited.”

Jeremy: Does this feel like a perfect marriage of your college skills (pass rusher) and NFL skills (off-ball linebacker)?

Barnes: “Yeah, 100%. I think it’s definitely a combination of both. Like I said, I’m super excited about the position. It’s a lot of plays to be made at that position, a lot of moving parts, things that I can handle, and I just appreciate the coaches trusting me to get that job done.”

Jeremy: What’s your favorite and least favorite parts of Week 1 games?

Barnes: “I’d say my favorite thing about Week 1 is just the intensity. I know Ford Field is going to be crazy, definitely against a team like this who we played in the playoffs. I know it’s going to be rocking. So I think the atmosphere is definitely my favorite part about it. The worst part for myself, I’ll probably say it’s just getting back into it. The first game of the season. Obviously first game jitters, but once you hit the pads once, all of that goes away.”

Jeremy: Outside of Stafford and Nacua, who stands out most on the Rams offense when watching the tape?

Barnes: “I would definitely say the running back, number 23 (Kyren Williams). Good running back, man. Dynamic, runs the ball super hard, looking to get north and south. Obviously, he’s going to break any arm tackles. So you definitely have to wrap that guy up and run your feet. Just watching his film he’s just a game I respect throughout the week, and I know that’s one guy we can’t sleep on.”

Jeremy: Does going against David Montgomery all summer help?

Barnes: “For sure. That’s the thing about it, we go against our offense–from the line to the running back to the quarterback to the receivers. We go against the best every day. And I believe we have one of the best offenses in the league. We go against them every day, and that kinda prepares you for games throughout the season and facing opponents with good receivers, good offensive line, good running backs.”

Jeremy: Do you have any personal goals for the year?

Barnes: “I got a lot of those, man. I would just say be better than I was last year. Obviously, I’ve got set goals for myself, and for me, it’s to help my team get to where we want to go, and do my job and contribute in the best way that I can. Obviously, I’ve got my personal goals, I’m going to keep those to myself.”

Jeremy: I know you love getting to the quarterback, any sack goals?

Barnes: “Yeah, yeah. I’ve got a number in mind. I’m thinking my goal is about 8 to 10. Obviously, (I’ve got) a high standard for myself. Super excited to go out there. Coaches will put me in the best position to try to get that done, but at the end of the days, it’s about each guy doing their job and helping this team get to where we want to go.”

First Byte: Lions vs. Rams preview with Turf Show Times’ Blaine Grisak

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
          My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

FB_IMG_1725801122328.jpg
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Barnes at SAM just makes sense. 8-10 sacks would make a big impact

Comment

Originally posted by El Axe View Post
                    Barnes at SAM just makes sense. 8-10 sacks would make a big impact
                    You must have missed his sack attmept on Dak Prescott last year...probably cost the Lions that game as it went from being a sure safety to a TD for the Cowboys because Barnes couldnt tackle....I've never seen a player try to take down a QB by chicken-winging him.

Comment

Originally posted by ghandi View Post

You must have missed his sack attmept on Dak Prescott last year...probably cost the Lions that game as it went from being a sure safety to a TD for the Cowboys because Barnes couldnt tackle....I've never seen a player try to take down a QB by chicken-winging him.
                      That was a crazy play. I don't think he realized that Dak had the ball and he was trying to run through him because he sure didn't try to tackle him
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Originally posted by CGVT View Post

That was a crazy play. I don't think he realized that Dak had the ball and he was trying to run through him because he sure didn't try to tackle him
                        That was one of the wierdest plays I have ever seen...You are right he must have thought the ball was thrown already and didnt want to get a late hit.

Comment

The excuse Barnes gave for missing that sack was even weirder: because Dak earns more than him.

Comment

Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
                            The excuse Barnes gave for missing that sack was even weirder: because Dak earns more than him.
                            Really!
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                            X