Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need a prime Matt Prater

Comment

Ghandi, if you feel Campbell won’t have confidence to make a 40 yard fg with Bates , cut him now. There is no way we can go into the season in the same boat we were in in the NFC championship when Campbell passed up on a 46 and 48 yard field goal- Ultimately losing his chance to go to the Super Bowl.
      Yes, I am still hurt and angry over this and it’s gonna take me a few years to get over it.

I’m all for Bates - he’s fine.

Comment

Dan going for it instead of a 40-yard field goal is something he is going to regardless of the kicker on the roster.

Buckle up and wear a diaper.

Comment

Halftime and end of games is where Bates will have the most value. There are always those games where time is short and a booming FG try is the play. On those kicks the miss almost doesn't matter cuz the game or half is over ... but having a guy with near 70 range is huge. If Bates can display decent accuracy otherwise I'm good with him. Those gambles Dan takes actually makes Bates better for the Lions ... they're not FG dependent
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Hey chemi I am just sayin he has to trust his kicker .

if he goes to Bates behind closed doors and days I don’t care if your name is Justin Tucker , I am going for it from 40 yards here cause this is my philosophy , then fine.

All this crap about ruining the kids confidence is not an issue then

Comment

Originally posted by Dan V View Post
              Hey chemi I am just sayin he has to trust his kicker .

if he goes to Bates behind closed doors and days I don’t care if your name is Justin Tucker , I am going for it from 40 yards here cause this is my philosophy , then fine.

All this crap about ruining the kids confidence is not an issue then
              And I'm telling you that it doesn't matter how much he trusts his kicker. In most 4th and short situations, he's going to trust his offense more, and he's probably not going to be wrong.

Comment

Just always assumed that he was so aggressive because the defense was bad and often the kicker was also, so going for it was the best play.....Now the stakes are much higher.

Comment

Make the clutch kicks and I’m fine with Bates.

If I was allowed to thoroughly discuss college kickers, would say that the FSU kicker looks great. However, the Cade York situation made me look like a fool… so far… maybe he wins the Washington job and bounces back.

Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                  At min you keep 5 WR on the roster. He fits Raymond's spot as both a slot guy and a returner. So you have a backup for both services, and Dan already said they if they could avoid it they wouldn't over work Kalif. So keeping Williams seems like a no brainer, then basically throw a dart at the wall for whatever under performing big body you you think might work.
                  Ideally, the Lions would probably want 4 or 5 WRs on their regular season roster once everything is final. I’m just not sure there are more than 3 WRs that have earned a spot with this group. Williams is right on that bubble. He looked good at times, but I’m not sure. They will probably keep 4 WRs on the initial 53 on Tuesday as a guess.

Me personally? I would only keep 3 on the initial 53. Cut/ waive everyone else. Bring back some on the practice squad. Trade for or claim a WR from another team.

Based on what I have heard about the Panthers here in the southeast, maybe they could target. Trade James Houston for Terrance Marshall Jr. as an idea perhaps? or watch out for this Jalen Coker WR dude.​​ Panthers fans want to keep him, but that would involve having 7 WRs on their 53.​​
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                    Just always assumed that he was so aggressive because the defense was bad and often the kicker was also, so going for it was the best play.....Now the stakes are much higher.
                    No he is a very analytical coach that views punts, FG on low yardage, basically anything where converting has a 50% higher chance of completion vs kicking it, he will go for it. The analytics say when you kick you are leaving points on the table.

Till Bates he has almost completely avoided kickers who can get over 50 yards because he was never going to kick those kicks. It was either punt to back the other team up, or go for it. So consistency mattered more. If they are at the 30 and it's 4-10, then fine kick it. So consistency on the kicks is what matters.

Bates brings one thing to the table and one thing only and that is for end of half, end of game, and overtime long distance attempts where the penalty for failing is low, the reward is at its max. Basically like the Tucker kick against us, time gone and it's either a Tucker kick or a hail Mary. Problem is even then Campbell isn't going to want leave other points on the table for those rareish happenstance. The chance to kick a once in a life time 70 yarder isn't worth keeping a guy that is costing you 1-4 points a game on stuff that's supposed to be higher percentage.

What happens with any numbers game like the one Campbell is playing at is there is no 100% answer. So sometimes the percentages check out but you go through a period where the it doesn't work out. I had this fun process on web roulette where I stayed with a color (always bet on black), put $10 down, if I won bet $10 again, if I lost put $20, lost that $40, and so on always once it came up on black I would be up $10. The point is I would need enough to cover any stretch where it didn't land on black, could be 4, could be 7 times, could be 10 times. 10 times is really really unlikely, but it's still possible. That's all that happened in the NFCCG, Campbell played the numbers and turned out we didn't happen to have enough banked to cover for when it didn't land in our favor.

Though in fact if Campbell played to the numbers and not his heart on the short FG before the end of the half and went for it instead like the numbers suggested then maybe we still might have been there in the end of the game. If anything that's probably something Dan has to work on, he has been steadfast typically in going with the numbers, but in reality it only works when you follow them completely. You tend to fuck up the analytics when you make decisions with heart/head.
                    ​​​​​
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                      Make the clutch kicks and I’m fine with Bates.

If I was allowed to thoroughly discuss college kickers, would say that the FSU kicker looks great. However, the Cade York situation made me look like a fool… so far… maybe he wins the Washington job and bounces back.

Ideally, the Lions would probably want 4 or 5 WRs on their regular season roster once everything is final. I’m just not sure there are more than 3 WRs that have earned a spot with this group. Williams is right on that bubble. He looked good at times, but I’m not sure. They will probably keep 4 WRs on the initial 53 on Tuesday as a guess.

Me personally? I would only keep 3 on the initial 53. Cut/ waive everyone else. Bring back some on the practice squad. Trade for or claim a WR from another team.

Based on what I have heard about the Panthers here in the southeast, maybe they could target. Trade James Houston for Terrance Marshall Jr. as an idea perhaps? or watch out for this Jalen Coker WR dude.​​ Panthers fans want to keep him, but that would involve having 7 WRs on their 53.​​
                      Will they turn over the 2-3 WR as some player becomes available sure probably. But even if I Williams goes from the ~3 spot to the 5th. He has done what pretty no other of those other options did, he performed in camp, practice, and in the games. I don't see them cutting him just for body size reasons, I don't see him not making the team, later in the season if we trade or grab a guy, chances are its because a wr went down. The only reason I could see otherwise is if does poorly when given a chance to play during reg season.

Comment

Might have to make more “clutch” kicks if you’re missing 30 yarders and extra points on the regular.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                          Might have to make more “clutch” kicks if you’re missing 30 yarders and extra points on the regular.
                          Go for two!!
                          "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            Wow. Golden Tate is pretty terrible, isn't he? Ha!
                            I believe ChatGPT was filling in for Tate while he was paying Russell's wife a visit.
                            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                              lol a fumble due to pushing the Steelers LT and the QB hits his own player’s back. Nice bull rush by Ukwu.

Yeah. Gio Manu is basically going to be the Brodric Martin of last year. Redshirt season for someone the Lions think has potential.

I hope the Lions let Hooker play the entire game. Starting to settle in. Nobody needs to see Sudfeld.
                              I'd rather see Sudfeld. Not seeing him means he's a roster lock.
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

I remember when Al Kaline first started broadcasting Tiger games with George Kell.
                                Even as a little kid I was kind of like man this is not good

Comment

Working...
                                X