The Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
    Well, there’s a scenario where the French team could be pushing the US as the favorite in 4 years - Wemby could be the best player in the world by then, combine that with the recent influx of top drafted talent from France, it could get real interesting. The one thing France didn’t really have was a dynamic guard, but there’s a top PG prospect from France in next year’s draft.

The US will always have the deeper pool of talent to choose from, but at the end of the day it’s really about the top 6-8 guys for each team that matters in a short, single elimination tournament.
    France will be ready to unleash their secret weapon in 2028: Killian Hayes, the revenge.

Comment

"I've watched that Nuit, Nuit shot about 30 times. Steph said he even impressed himself with that shot." "Throughout the tournament KD was telling teammates that you have patience to wait for him to free himself open. Steph requested the LeBron PNR where Steph was the screener because that's what LeBron would do to him in the finals. Great shit."
      ---------------------------------------Nuit??? PNR???
      GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

I was genuinely sad watching the closing ceremonies. Mike Tirico put together an Olympics summary and when it finished with the lights going out on the Eiffel Tower and the final turning off of the Olympic Rings, I teared up.

It felt like the best Olympics I've ever seen. For 2 weeks, it felt like the world could get along.

My favorite moment of the Olympics was in the Women's Beach Volleyball gold medal match. At about 11-8 in the 3rd and deciding set to 15, the Brazilian & Canadian teams got into a heated argument and wouldn't drop it despite the official coming down to intervene. The DJ at the event started playing "Imagine" and it totally changed the mood. The players quickly reconsidered what they were doing and started to genuinely smile and apologize to each other. Again, I'll emphasize that this was the closing moments of a gold medal match.

Unfortunately, the NBC youtube clip of the match not only cuts out most of this interchange, but the announcer did possibly the worst job of talking about it, including not having any idea what song was playing. The entire sequence went over the NBC announcer's head.

If you haven't seen the closing ceremony, it was pretty good. The handoff to Los Angeles was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DanO View Post
          "I've watched that Nuit, Nuit shot about 30 times. Steph said he even impressed himself with that shot." "Throughout the tournament KD was telling teammates that you have patience to wait for him to free himself open. Steph requested the LeBron PNR where Steph was the screener because that's what LeBron would do to him in the finals. Great shit."
          ---------------------------------------Nuit??? PNR???
          Nuit means night in French, so Nuit Nuit is a rough translation of "Night Night"

Here's the sequence

Comment

Stinking China caught up to us in Gold medals
            image.png
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

They clean up in ping-pong and diving.

Comment

And PNR is Pick 'n Roll.

Comment

Originally posted by edindetroit View Post
                  Stinking China caught up to us in Gold medals
                  image.png
                  Technically, China was leading until we caught up to them with the Women's BB gold medal on the last day. Women's indoor Volleyball lost their match -- their best player was out sick after playing sick in the semis.

That Women's BB game was something else, btw. France played out of their minds and had some home cooking from the officials. France's Gabby Williams hit a last second prayer shot, but her foot was on the line so was only a 2-pt shot and USA won by a point.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    They clean up in ping-pong and diving.
                    I don't get why NBC devotes 30min in primetime to every diving event. China completely dominates and the only drama is who is going to win the bronze -- and the US is rarely competitive. I would seriously prefer to watch any other event than diving.

Comment

• Diving has historically been a big draw on TV. Don’t know if that has changed much since China has dominated or not but I assume NBC has numbers to back it up.

But that was what was so great about Peacock - you pretty much could watch whatever you wanted, when you wanted. Streaming services are the perfect delivery mechanism for the Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post

I don't get why NBC devotes 30min in primetime to every diving event. China completely dominates and the only drama is who is going to win the bronze -- and the US is rarely competitive. I would seriously prefer to watch any other event than diving.
                        That prime time coverage isn't for sports fans. It is for people that want to see the stories more than the events. It is to draw a different demographic than the hardcore sports fan. That is why it is so heavy on gymnastics coverage in the summer and figure skating in the winter
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The US used to be pretty good at diving, but it's been a while from those days. The main NBC feed always going to be a mix of gymnastics, swimming and track because it's the ratings draw. Diving kind of tags along with swimming.

Peacock was the full realization of the NBC Triplecast 32 years later. I just wish Peacock was faster, it is so slow to get a stream up compared to the other streamers. But it aced the Olympics just like it aces the EPL.

One of my favorites was watching the final day of Women's rugby 7's. Eight 15 minute games, the sport has some promise.

Comment

• Curry announced in multiple languages

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post

Me either. I change the channel. It's boring. They might just as well give the gold to China.
                              GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

Working...
                              X