Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear Deb but totally get it. I feel bad because I always forget to use the Amazon link here when I buy shit. I would also be willing to pay an annual fee it helps to cover the maintenance costs.

But does this mean I have to be nice Jaadam? That might be a dealbreaker.

Comment

Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Bored GIF
      Aw man......, That was a funny blast from the past.

LOVE Judge Smails
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Not to doubt Jadaam, but I’m starting to think about a backup plan should this place come to an end. I’d rather not lose all contact with you fucks and since we’re all old as dirt I assume most of us have Facebook accounts…
        "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

Originally posted by mason reese View Post
          Not to doubt Jadaam, but I’m starting to think about a backup plan should this place come to an end. I’d rather not lose all contact with you fucks and since we’re all old as dirt I assume most of us have Facebook accounts…
          No doubt Mason.
          GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

Originally posted by mason reese View Post
            I found CGVT on Atari 2600. We stay in touch, although he keeps pounding his chest and throwing barrels at me.
            Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

I can’t bring myself to post my full name on a searchable webpage (old school paranoia), but if anybody wants to message me their names I’ll friend ‘em on Facebook.
              "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

If we don't hear any good news for Jaadam soon, I'll go set up a temporary forum for us on proboards so we don't lose touch as well.

The old W/C Tigers forum set up a group on Facebook. I don't think that is a viable answer though
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

If nothing pans out with Jadaam and you guys want a forum that’s similar to this one, I can set one up but I’d need some $$$. I hope this can be transferred though to keep all the posts.
                  Last edited by Sanders Fan; May 15, 2024, 12:21 PM.
                  3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                  10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

I don't have facebook. I don't want facebook.

If that's the only option, I'll consider it and that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      If we don't hear any good news for Jaadam soon, I'll go set up a temporary forum for us on proboards so we don't lose touch as well.
                      I think that is a good plan.I ran a few years ago and they were fine. Like everything else they might suck now-but I think it would be the best option at least temporarily. It won't be fancy and you won't be able to host pictures directly or do fancy YouTube links but they are similar in general user format. Worth a try...

I passed the ones I started on to others and a couple died out and the main one was eventually moved to a updated site that cost $.

The worst things I remember were spammers and towards the end proboards started inserting ads (not pop ups). It got to the point we had to manually approve the new joiners which can take time and is not fool proof.
                      There "was" an option to pay like 5 bucks to remove the ads for a determined amount of page clicks. $5 usually covered a month, but that forum only had a few hundred members and only about a dozen that were regular contributors.

Comment

Do it foxhopper

Comment

I have Facebook, but it's mostly tied to my writing work (which means I present myself a lot differently, I'm actually cordial and nice).

As I like to think my acerbic tone is part of my charm, I dunno... sure, I guess?

Comment

Jeez, didn’t log in for a couple of weeks and saw this.

Fully understandable though Deborah and I certainly appreciate your efforts down the years.

There will definitely be a way to relocate to a low cost server - keep us posted Jaadam.

We can’t all abandon ship as we are legitimate Super Bowl contenders, this isn’t how the story ends!

Comment

it might be worth considering a couple payment options to see what members would be comfortable with. The total could help determine what type of forum we might be able to afford.

example: vbulletin offers a cloud hosted option for 20/40/75 paid monthly. Paid yearly is discounted at 15/30/60 per month. Each tier is for a different amount of bandwidth. No idea how much bandwidth we use. Im not sure if this is the entire cost, or if we could migrate any content to the cloud service. We could ask.

We could also pay for a server, domain name, and the vbulletin software if we wanted to host ourselves. This is what Deb provided and we are all in debt. Im guessing 15 per month for the domain name, $75 for hosting, and $160 for the vbulletin software paid once. Deb can keep me honest. I think she mentioned costs at the beginning.

Im guessing these would be the most expensive options.

Anyway how many folks would consider a fee? Are folks comfortable with $1, $5, or other per month?

No idea how it would scale with new users. Doubt many would pay for something they never had access to.
                              AAL - Glover Quinn

Comment

The domain name can be anywhere from $10 to $25 a year, depending on where you go to get one. GoDaddy is $25. You can migrate the database of this forum but if you go to the cloud, there’s a fee of at least $119 up depending on what your level is. If you don’t stay in the Cloud, vBulletin has an annual fee of $79.

I’ve been running a forum using Xenforo for the last seven years that has about 300 active members a day and I pay less than $30 a month for hosting. It’s not a hog on servers like others so that’s why I recommend it.
                                3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                                10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

Working...
                                X