• Show
Clear All

• Meet Sione Vaki S, Lions 4th round B

By Lance Zierlein
    NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
    Round 6

Overview

Gamer who does whatever is necessary to help his team win. Vaki carries a thick frame with good upper-body power and heavy hands. He took on carries to help his team when it was stung by injuries, but he’s not an NFL running back. He’s a conscientious tackler who is careful to center up and launch his attack only when he’s in realistic striking position. He is overmatched in coverage and struggles when plays roll downfield. Vaki’s below-average athletic traits and lack of positional fit might create a limited path forward. Strengths
    • Productive tackler with a nose for the ball on coverage teams.
    • Works eyes from quarterback to the route as split safety.
    • Heavy hands send jarring punch into blockers’ attempts.
    • Comes to balance and makes himself wide as open-field tackler.
    • Patient to launch tackle tries only when he has target locked in.
    Weaknesses
    • Backpedal is sluggish and fails to gain enough ground.
    • Struggles to flip hips and run in phase with the route.
    • Can be exploited when tasked with man coverage duties.
    • Short arms and limited athleticism shrink his range as a tackler.
    • Has very little margin for error playing in big spaces.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

lol I remember watching that Utah vs USC game when Vaki went off. RB3/ RB4 job drama! Uh oh… Reynolds, Knight, and Jefferson.

Didn’t expect the Lions take a RB this high, but interested to dig into Vaki information.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

So a special teamer who can provide backup utility on both sides of the ball. Could give you more roster versatility I suppose.

Comment

I don’t know why we insist on giving up picks for guys who we could get in the 6th-7th round.

Comment

You have no idea if they'd be available then.

Comment

Originally posted by Edison View Post
              I don’t know why we insist on giving up picks for guys who we could get in the 6th-7th round.
              It think this is where you throw away picks more often than not. You want value in the top 3. Later you just want to make sure you get the guys you like. 4-7 might as well be one big tier and you can lose out on everybody you are eyeing by trying to wait it out and those picks aren't worth anything if you are just throwing darts, ala "fuckin just draft Calhoun", because the it turns out other teams valued the same player you did.

Comment

Vaki was generally projected for the 5th round and some people had him much higher, so not really a reach.

Comment

He found some good players in these rounds in the past...I guess he doesnt feel confident he can do that anymore? OR maybe the roster is stacked enough that these guys wont make the team anyway?

Comment

As Holmes and Campbell like to say, Vaki is just a football player. Smart, hard nosed kid who’ll play wherever they need him. Fits who they are, so I like it.

Comment

Well, for 50 years I've been waiting on a front office that gets it beyond the no-brainer 1st rd picks.
                      Holmes knows what this team needs. His drafts have been off the charts - unprecedented in Lions history in my lifetime.
                      That and this team really doesn't need alot - which if you've followed this team for the last 50 years there have been few times that has ever been able to be said.

Comment

Holmes does seem to have his own version of Les Snead’s “F them picks!” mentality in that he’s very willing to give up future picks, value charts be damned, to move around to get the guys that they love. It doesn’t seem like the most prudent way of doing things, but his draft results are hard to argue with so far.

Comment

Amen.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Who is saying these guys are 6th and 7th rounders? That is the question you need to answer.
                            Brad Holmes wants that player at that spot - he goes and gets them. He doesn't stop and ask Kiper and the myriad of drafticologists first.....

Comment

Vaki wasn’t lasting until the 6th or 7th.

Comment

Working...
                              X