Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forsh View Post
    The Brodric Martin of 2024

I give Brodric Martin a shot in hell at making something of himself. I just can’t understand this pick in the 4th but this is Brad Holmes MO. He’s a genius, then goes off the rails for a few picks and back to genius.

And it’s way better than just being off the rails like every other GM we’ve had so I’m not complaining
    Last edited by jaadam4; April 28, 2024, 03:16 PM.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Worst reaches per CBS

1. British Columbia OT Giovanni Manu, Detroit Lions

CBS Sports prospect ranking: 359 | 2024 draft selection: 126

The Lions made quite the surprising pick in the fourth round, and it was surprising in more ways than one. Detroit traded a future third-round pick to move up the board and select international prospect Giovanni Manu at No. 126 overall. Manu was CBS Sports' No. 359 prospect in this class.

Manu possesses epic size at 6-foot-8, 350 pounds, but he is definitely more of a project. Trading a future third and spending the No. 126 overall pick here makes this a reach.

CBS Sports Draft grade: D+

"Mountain of a man with flashes of incredible burst at his size, but overall flexibility and athletic profile is lacking. Of course will take time to translate to the stronger competition level but the length and burst make him a fascinating project. But long-term developmental type. Hand work needs to improve and not overly aware of complex blitzes." -- Chris Trapasso

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

FWIW

In Holmes press conference, he said (a) both he and Campbell came into the 3rd day wanting to draft Manu and (b) other GMs let him know that he was on their board and it wasn't a reach.

Comment

People compare him to Jordan Mailata. Another beast of an athlete who was drafted late and took a couple years before becoming a all-pro level tackle.

Comment

The size and athleticism just us something you can't teach.. He needs serious, serious coaching. 11-12 teams interviewed him, so there was serious interest.

If he hits no one is going to care Detroit parted with a 25 third rounder to get him.
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

🤔

Comment

Originally posted by BJK View Post

🤔
                I wonder if that's more of a short-term thing. Teach him to play guard first and then transition him to tackle if it goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by El Axe View Post

I wonder if that's more of a short-term thing. Teach him to play guard first and then transition him to tackle if it goes well.
                  That has to be the thinking. No one drafts a 6-8 guard unless its the NBA. If Martin and Manu end up being something I'm pretty sure Brad Holmes is one of the best GM's ever.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

My guess is that at least in the short-term, they'd like Manu to be a G/T flex type for depth, and figure Sewell compliments his skill set best.

Comment

Originally posted by El Axe View Post

Certainly possible.

Comment

Guard is an easier position to learn and his physical traits project to a guy who can pull and trap very easily. I think I said earlier if we see him any time this season it will be in the Skipper/Nelson swing tackle who moonlights as the 6th offensive lineman. Having Goff as the quarterback allows them to have a 6'7 guy play guard. It's a case of seeing how raw he is.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          Guard is an easier position to learn and his physical traits project to a guy who can pull and trap very easily. I think I said earlier if we see him any time this season it will be in the Skipper/Nelson swing tackle who moonlights as the 6th offensive lineman. Having Goff as the quarterback allows them to have a 6'7 guy play guard. It's a case of seeing how raw he is.
                          It makes sense that A.) You don't get over invested in a 4th round pick with some expectation of turning them into a starting tackle. B.) You don't want to say you found a solution to possibly having Decker leave or get cut for cap space a couple years early, specially not a 4th round pick. C.) You give Manu a easier hurdle to jump. He only needs be better then most cost effective FA signings at G when Zeitler leaves to start. D.) Maybe he only ever plays RG. Getting a OG that can play RT still gets you the same uber flexible type of player that the Lions like on the line. If Decker gets injured Sewell covers for Decker, Manu plays RT. In the short term any chance of starting is at OG and long term the only time he would go to RT is if we can't find a way to keep Decker, who doesn't seem to want to price his way out of Detroit. So why set your sights on him filling a spot that may never need to be filled. Get him ready and prepaired for where he could eventually play sometime soon and if worry about the other spot when and if you need to.

If he can play nearly enough to be a backup this year they can cover the entire line with basically one backup (with Ragnow and Sewell able to shift to spots Manu can't cover). Even if he can't it seems like a it would be the worst case scenario, Manu would give them a backup in the future that would makes it easier move around the rest of the line.

Comment

TL;DR

Comment

The knock I have heard on him is that he moves forward very well, side to side not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I give Brodric Martin a shot in hell at making something of himself. I just can’t understand this pick in the 4th but this is Brad Holmes MO. He’s a genius, then goes off the rails for a few picks and back to genius.

And it’s way better than just being off the rails like every other GM we’ve had so I’m not complaining
                                He was hyped up kinda like this guy, then we saw him play (barely)...He was so bad they were even signing players who had been out of the game and were not even in football shape instead of playing Martin......Just because he has the size, people assumed he could play the part....Doesnt always work out that way....We will see how it goes with this guy too.

Comment

Working...
                                X