Future Shocks 2: Terror in the trenchs?: Day 2 of the NFL Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Shocks 2: Terror in the trenchs?: Day 2 of the NFL Draft

Thrilled with Arnold. Now let's shore up the trenchs.

The Big Board

Safety
    Tyler Nubin

OT
    Blake Fisher
    Kiran Amegadjie
    Caeden Wallace
    Patrick Paul

DT
    T'Vondre Sweat
    J Newton
    Brandpn Fiske
    Kris Jenkins

LB
    Junior Coulson

WR
    Ladd McConkey
    Malachi Corley
    Tony Franklin
    Adonai Mitchell
    Roman Wilson

IOL
    Jackson Powers-John
    Cooper Beebe (guard only)
    Zak Zinter
    Christian Haynes
    Sedrick Van Pran-Granger​
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

For Day 2, we desperately need to draft an quality O-Lineman, or if not that, then someone on the defense.

For Day 3, maybe take a flyer on another wide out. It worked the last time that we needed a wide receiver in the late rounds with the selection of Amon-Ra St. Brown in the 4th Round back in '21.

I know that we don't have a 4th round pick, but Brad Holmes might package what he has left in '24 draft capital just to move up into the 4th and get a wide out.
    "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

Great title! Holmes will probably trade back in the 2nd for more picks but If he doesn’t I hope they go OL. Grab Zinter and be happy
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

As I said in the other thread, I want Holmes to trade back from 61. Normally, you can get two 3rds or a 3rd and 4th.

The picks usually around 61 don't really align to the Lions needs, so trading back a dozen picks will often result in picking the same player.

Not to mention that this is where Holmes can take advantage of his scouting -- go and get two players who can contribute quickly.

I'd prefer OL & WR depth on day 2. There are several nice safeties & edges that should fall to day 3.

Comment

An example trade back using drafttek values:
          pick 61 = 292
          Atlanta's picks 74 +109 = 220 + 76 = 296

With 74, Jalen McMillan or Devontez Walker might be available. Devontez was a top-30 visit.
          With 109, Zak Zinter or Layden Robinson might be available.

Comment

I would be happy with Zinter/ and or a trade back. A little bummed out that we only have one pick to look forward to today. At the same time, at least the usage of 3rd RD picks helped answer our stinky outside CB question.

Guess it’s time to enjoy the NFL draft based on the perspective of what other teams do….
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Want to see them move around get more capital. But I think Brad is feeling himself and he's going to move up again - he's going to have a guy he wants and he's going to go get him. Thinking OL but who knows.

Comment

I’d prefer the Lions to stick with quality than quantity. Draft Zinter, Frazier, Kool Aid, Isaac, Keon Coleman, Beebee.

Take one of them and call it a day
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                  I’d prefer the Lions to stick with quality than quantity. Draft Zinter, Frazier, Kool Aid, Isaac, Keon Coleman, Beebee.

Take one of them and call it a day
                  My point is that if you're patient, you'll get both. You'll get the same player in the 70s that you get at 61.

The Arnold trade-up was smart because 24 was the end of a draft-tier. You would get a downgrade of player quality waiting to 29

61 is towards the front of a tier for the Lions, if you trade back to the back of the tier, you get the same quality AND you get another player in the next tier (or maybe a second guy in that same tier).

Comment

The Athletic paywall NFL Draft article.

Best available players for Detroit Lions in NFL Draft: Cooper Beebe, Keon Coleman

By Colton Pouncy
                    Apr 26, 2024

It’s Day 2 of the NFL Draft, and after some wheeling and dealing in Round 1, the Detroit Lions, as things currently stand, are slated to have a light day.

Their only pick of the evening comes in the second round, No. 61 overall. Offensive line, edge, defensive tackle and wide receiver would all make sense, though their options might be limited by the time they’re slated to pick. After moving up for Alabama CB Terrion Arnold, it’s possible the team trades down to acquire extra capital. But it’s the draft, and you never know what could materialize.

Let’s review the best players available.

Early Day 2 fits

Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois

Newton, with whom the Lions met at the combine and brought in for a top-30 visit, is a complete defensive tackle who provides upside as a pass rusher and run defender. If they chose him, the Lions could create one of the most feared interior defensive line rooms in the league with Alim McNeill, DJ Reader and Newton.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, C/G, Oregon

A powerful, athletic lineman with few holes in his game, Powers-Johnson would be an excellent fit for the Lions. He has Pro Bowl upside as a center and is versatile enough to play guard if needed.

Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia

A former state wrestling champion and a football junkie who assembled his own home gym in middle school. A finisher at center who might have the chops to play guard, Frazier feels like a strong fit for the Lions.

Marshawn Kneeland, edge, Western Michigan

A high-effort, bull-rush edge who was a menace in the MAC. Kneeland must continue refining his pass-rush repertoire but he can help a defensive line room immediately.

Kingsley Suamataia, T, BYU

A former five-star recruit and Penei Sewell’s cousin? Sounds like a Lion, should Detroit be in the market for an athletic tackle with upside. The question is where?

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

Everything you look for from a potential No. 1 receiver. Size, explosion, separation, speed. Some have questioned his effort, but Mitchell is too talented to last too long in the draft.

Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

He’s not the typical X receiver many have linked to the Lions, but McConkey can separate with the best of them, which gives him the look of a high-floor prospect. The Lions have proven they don’t need the big-bodied, go-up-and-get-it type.

Other Day 2 fits

Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State

Beebe could be lower than others at his position because he lacks positional versatility and won’t wow anyone with his movement skills, but he’s dependable and steady, with the look of a ready-made guard.

Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

Coleman won’t be for everyone, but he has a skill set the Lions lack on their roster. On the outside, he could win with his athleticism and leaping ability, and as a big slot receiver, he could routinely bully nickels with his ability to break tackles and underrated YAC skills. He plays faster than his 40 time suggests, and a team like the Lions could unlock the best in his game.

Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

Wilson could add more speed to the Lions’ receiver room. He’s more of a slot WR at 5-foot-10, but the Lions could make it work. Detroit hosted Wilson for a top-30 visit and he attended the team’s local day.

Christian Haynes, G, UConn

Brings strength, finishing ability and football IQ to any offensive line room he joins. Would be a good replacement for Kevin Zeitler in 2025, should he not return, and good insurance in 2024.

Chris Braswell, edge, Alabama

How about another ‘Bama prospect. An edge with a quick first-step who knows how to convert power to speed, Braswell has the look of a Day 2 talent while he continues to develop his pass-rush moves.

Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State

No defensive tackle helped his stock at the combine more than Fiske. While Fiske has below-average length (31-inch arms), he makes up for it with elite athleticism.

Ja’Lynn Polk, WR, Washington

If the Lions would rather wait on a WR, a prospect like Polk makes a lot of sense. He plays with great body control and can make contested catches.

Adisa Isaac, edge, Penn State

Isaac is another edge with traits and twitch. He recorded 27 tackles for loss in his final 26 games and is generally viewed as a top-50ish prospect. He has some freelance tendencies, but that could be worked out of his game with NFL coaching.

Michael Hall Jr., DT, Ohio State

A long-armed, quick-twitch athlete with high motor is the sort of combination that will get you a look early. Hall fits the description and could go higher than most think. One of the youngest players in the class.

Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson

Orhorhoro didn’t play football until his junior year of high school, but he’s gotten better and better with each passing year. His combination of tools (34-inch arms, 4.89 40 at 6-foot-4 and 292 pounds) and versatility (lined up from zero to nine-tech) makes him an intriguing option for a team looking to add to its defensive line room.

Devontez Walker, WR, North Carolina

Lions’ OC Ben Johnson is a Tarheel, and the team met with Walker at the combine. He has work to do as a route runner, but he can stretch the field and could add another weapon for Jared Goff.

Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest

A competitor with range for days against the run, Mustapha would be a solid fit if the team trades down and is looking to add another safety to the mix.

Dominick Puni, G/T, Kansas

A versatile lineman who could potentially play guard, tackle or center at the next level. An early backup with starting potential.

Austin Booker, edge, Kansas

An inexperienced, but not quite raw, edge prospect with a good set of tools with which to work. Booker could be a sub-package rotational player as a rookie, while growing into a starter.

Bralen Trice, edge, Washington

Trice is a hard-nosed, high-effort edge who won’t wow athletically but can add a physical presence a defensive line rotation.

Christian Mahogany, G, Boston College

Mahogany isn’t flashy, but he’s powerful and has the look of a 10-year starter once he wins a gig.

Colton Pouncy is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Detroit Lions. He previously covered Michigan State football and basketball for the company, and covered sports for The Tennessean in Nashville prior to joining The Athletic. Follow Colton on Twitter @colton_pouncy

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                    My friend Ken L

Comment

Im expecting a trade down today most likely...Their next pick after 61 is 164 iirc....I could see dropping 10-20 spots and trying to pick up a 4th or 5th, maybe even a late third if the situation presents itself.

Comment

Hard part about a trade down is finding a trade partner. I'm fine with whatever Holmes does, of course, but speaking strategically, I want Holmes to make enough quality picks to fill a few more crucial gaps in our roster.

OL, DE, WR, S & KR depth/player to develop would make me feel better about our roster and future.

My Day 2 prediction is that he does find a partner and picks up a mid 3rd and early 4th. To hard to predict exactly who they'll draft, but best OL at whatever pick they have today. Maybe WR or DE, but less likely.

Comment

DDD_Drumline.jpg
                          DDD_Passing.jpg
                          DDD_Stage1.jpg
                          DDD_HartPlaza2.jpg

Comment

I hope we target the player we want and trade up.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Nice! Let the day 2 fun begin. Go Lions!

Honorary Michigan color commentator Joel Klatt brings up a great point. O/U Michigan players that Harbaugh’s Chargers draft with their 8 remaining picks… 🤔 The line might be 3.5 Michigan players for the Chargers. Perhaps Jenkins, Sainristil, Colson, or Corum at #37.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                              X