• Terrorizing the wideouts: Terrion Arnold CB, Lions FIrst Rounder

By Lance Zierlein
    NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
    Round 1

NFL Comparison
    Marshon Lattimore

Overview

Twitchy man-cover corner with outstanding athletic ability and the skill set to bring in ball production at the professional level. Arnold possesses average size but plays with a desired level of aggression and competitiveness in both phases of his job. He’s fast and agile to match up against a variety of receiver flavors on the outside or in the slot. Arnold could squeeze routes tighter from off coverages and limit the yards after catch with a slightly different approach. His closing burst allows him to meet throws at the catch point with a natural feel for playing angles and attacking the receiver’s hands. Arnold will make mistakes with positioning and lose focus at times, but the athletic traits and nose for the ball create quality upside for him to be positioned as a CB1 within a couple of years.

Strengths
    • Sits under receiver’s chin and plays tight press man from snap to whistle.
    • Agile feet and slippery hips accommodate challenging cross-face transitions.
    • Smooth coming to balance and shadowing comebacks from side-shuffle.
    • Very good top-end speed with above-average burst to close.
    • Urgent ball-challenger, competing hard for both space and the ball.
    • Standout ball production over two-year span as a starter.
    • Jars throws loose with heavy strikes and is aggressive in run support.
    • Works through blockers and gets after it as a tackler.
    Weaknesses
    • Feet become indecisive when hit with release fakes.
    • Lacks eye balance, losing sight of play development around him.
    • Offers excessive cushion for easy catches from off-man and quarters.
    • Room for improvement on jump-ball play and positioning.
    • Needs to do a better job of dropping pad level and wrapping to tackle.
    Sources Tell Us

“Kool-Aid (McKinstry) is more reliable and consistent than Arnold, but I think Arnold has more pure cover talent.” - NFC regional scout​
    Last edited by Whitley; April 25, 2024, 10:12 PM.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Does Goodell need help reading?

Comment

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

I tentatively called a trade up for Mitchell/Arnold, but I thought it would have been in the mid teens.

Comment

From The Ringer

DETROIT LIONS

Grade: A

Lions GM Brad Holmes does it again. This is an excellent pick for Detroit, who grab my top-ranked corner (and no. 11 overall player) in Arnold here with the 24th pick. Arnold fell a bit, I would guess, because he ran a disappointing 4.50-second 40-yard dash at the combine. But he makes up for a lack of elite speed with high-end instincts and ball skills in coverage—and gives the Lions a plug-and-play starter for their cornerback-needy defense. It didn't come cheap for Detroit, who surrendered their third-round pick (while getting back a seventh-rounder next year) to move up five spots. But I think Arnold is good enough to justify that cost.

SHADES OF DARIUS SLAY

BALL-HAWKING COVER CORNER WHO EXPERTLY POSITIONS HIMSELF to make plays downfield and consistently gets his hands into the catch point to knock down the pass.
          • Smooth Footwork
          • Refined Technique
          • Coverage Chops
          SCOUTING REPORT BY DANNY KELLY

Arnold has a tapered, muscular frame with long arms. He’s a fluid athlete who changes direction effortlessly and plays all over the defensive secondary, with experience both outside and in the slot. In press looks, he plays in a low, balanced stance, showing loose, flexible hips to turn to run with receivers. He’s always deliberate with his footwork and has plenty of speed to carry receivers downfield on vertical routes. He stays in phase, in an opponent’s hip pocket, and flashes a good feel for looking back at the right moment to make a play on the ball. He punches and slaps through the catch point, knocking down passes and making it difficult on receivers to hold on to the ball. Arnold is comfortable in half-turn technique in off-coverage looks, keeping his head on a swivel in zone to anticipate and pick up routes into his area. He shows good spatial awareness to split the difference between receivers when defending flood concepts, keeping him in position to make plays on the ball. He breaks on passes before they’re even thrown. He racked up five interceptions in 2023, which ranked tied for third nationally. He turns 21 in March.

Arnold is aggressive when playing downhill against both the run and screens. He ducks under and around block attempts to make the tackle. He tallied 18 stops in 2023, according to PFF, and consistently puts himself in position to make plays. He takes good angles in pursuit and is mindful of not overrunning the play.

Arnold can be susceptible to hook routes and comebacks, either giving up too much space or taking a few too many extra steps to stop in order to get back to the ball. He’s very grabby in coverage downfield and may need to rein his aggression in a little at the next level. He’ll occasionally give up too much cushion when playing in the slot, allowing for yards after the catch.

WHY HE COULD RISE

Arnold’s a stingy defender who consistently makes plays on the ball; he has a tenacious on-field demeanor.

WHY HE COULD FALL

He’s very grabby in coverage and may need to play more disciplined downfield.

BACKGROUND AND STATS BY DANIEL COMER
          • A redshirt sophomore and a five-star prospect out of Tallahassee, Florida. Was ranked the third-best cornerback recruit in his class and the no. 51 player overall.
          • Redshirted in 2021 but was a consistent contributor for the Crimson Tide in 2022. Played 11 games (seven starts) and totaled 45 tackles (one for loss), eight pass breakups, and one interception. Was named to the All-SEC freshman team by league coaches and was a semifinalist for the Shaun Alexander Award, which honors the best freshmen in the country.
          • Was a first team AP All-American in 2023 after totaling 63 tackles (6.5 for loss), 12 pass breakups, five interceptions, one sack, and one forced fumble.

FUN FACTS
          • Coined Crimson Tide team motto “LANK” (Let All Naysayers Know) with Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe. The term went viral after ESPN broadcaster Rece Davis referenced it on College GameDay.
          • Has a close relationship with Nick Saban’s wife, Miss Terry. Arnold has referred to her as a “second mom.”
          ​​
          image.png
          Last edited by El Axe; April 25, 2024, 10:38 PM.

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

Detroit Lions traded up five spots in the first round of Thursday’s 2024 NFL draft to take Terrion Arnold, an Alabama cornerback, with the 24th pick.
              My friend Ken L

Comment

FROM ESPN
                24. Detroit Lions (from Dallas) -- Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama

Why they picked him: Lions general manager Brad Holmes said he would select the best player available -- regardless of position -- and this move seemingly upgrades Detroit's defense immediately. This pick also addresses one of its biggest needs -- the secondary -- by adding an All-American, who is viewed as one of the top cornerbacks in this class after the team released Cam Sutton this offseason.

Biggest question: Was this the right CB? Sometimes Arnold can be a little too physical on the field, but if that's his biggest knock it's a good problem to have. Or should the Lions have drafted an edge rusher? There's not much of a con with this pick other than if it was the right defensive position, as defense was certainly where the Lions need to improve. -- Eric Woodyard
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

Fantastic pick. He’s one of my favorite players in the draft.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Comment

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

Honestly didn’t really look into Arnold too much due to thinking he was gone in the teens. Didn’t Arnold make that near INT vs JJ on the first play of the Rose Bowl?
                            This isn’t a negative. Think he looks a little Okudah-ish as a draft prospect based on preliminary review. Okudah, the #3 overall draft prospect in 2020 that would have had a different career trajectory if he didn’t suffer the killer achilles injury. I was a fan of the Okudah pick in 2020 BTW. Long speed question, gritty playmaking, and awesome short area quickness/ twitch in coverage at the college level. The difference is the Lions get Arnold at #24 overall in this bizarre draft. Can we also have a 1st RD CB that doesn’t tear their achilles early on please? Some luck? Westbrook, Okudah…

I’m excited. Brad Holmes truly lived up to addressing CB this offseason. The situation would have looked a little better too if not for the unexpected Sutton situation. The idea of pushing Sutton down to CB#2 and giving him one last opportunity to bounce back. Oh well.​

EDIT: Nope, it was Caleb Downs in the Rose Bowl. Not Tavion Arnold.
                            Last edited by Cody_Russell; April 26, 2024, 06:35 AM. Reason: Fact Check
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

A good prospect and a good fit, a discount Devon Witherspoon essentially. The lack of people grumbling about a CB that only ran 4.51 speaks to trust in Holmes. I don’t like trade ups but was fully expecting this type of move. Really want to see them turn 61 into a couple more picks, if they can get a 4th out of dropping back 10-12 spots that would be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X