Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I guess you could say Harbaugh

Comment

That’s the big reason why it seems highly unlikely. When has a relatively young NFL coach moved on from a good situation? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Saban was mediocre with the Dolphins.

I think Texas A&M is capable of taking shots at anyone for their opening. Dabo Swinney, Deion Sanders, Dan Campbell, etc.
      It’s within their capacity to offer the richest football head coach contract in history. As the Pistons just did for Monty Williams. Texas A&M just scoffed at making a $76M problem go away. Now we did just see a similar situation with the Broncos (Walmart family) willing to pay any amount for a head coach. They ended up getting Sean Payton to come out of retirement.

Perhaps it just leads to Campbell getting a nice extension soon with the Lions! He’s a good coach and we would all like that.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
        I’m already starting to see Dan Campbell mentioned as a Texas A&M wishlist candidate​​​​​​. You stay away from our HC!!

I won’t say it’s not going to happen because there’s some logical reasons. Such as Campbell being a Texas A&M alum... Possible lifestyle changes reasons (moving from Michigan to Texas).. Texas A&M has the money to offer the richest head coaching contract of all time … You can look at examples of NFL coaches jumping to college football for $$$. Nick Saban.

But yeah, don’t you dare try to go after Campbell, Texas A&M. Campbell is an awesome NFL head coach. No need to interrupt that.
        I want the Brad Holmes/Dan Campbell bromance to continue, at least until we win some Playoff games and pick up a few Super Bowl championship trophies.
        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

That’s the big reason why it seems highly unlikely. When has a relatively young NFL coach moved on from a good situation? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Saban was mediocre with the Dolphins.

I think Texas A&M is capable of taking shots at anyone for their opening. Dabo Swinney, Deion Sanders, Dan Campbell, etc.
          It’s within their capacity to offer the richest football head coach contract in history. As the Pistons just did for Monty Williams. Texas A&M just scoffed at making a $76M problem go away. Now we did just see a similar situation with the Broncos (Walmart family) willing to pay any amount for a head coach. They ended up getting Sean Payton to come out of retirement.

Perhaps it just leads to Campbell getting a nice extension soon with the Lions! He’s a good coach and we would all like that.
          The Ford family has the cash to offset the Texas A&M threat.

Plus, Dan Campbell played for the Detroit Lions back in the day, including the infamous 2008 0-16 season.

Making this franchise a legitimate Super Bowl contender is a personal dream of Dan Campbell's.

I don't think that he'll go back to Aggie land as their Head Coach.
          My friend Ken L

Comment

Time to work on that extension…

randy marsh moving GIF by South Park
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Time to work on that extension…

randy marsh moving GIF by South Park
              And keep Texas A&M away from Dan Campbell, since they fired Jimbo Fisher yesterday, and that Mr. Campbell played for the Aggies from 1995-98.

The Fords have the $$$ to offset the Aggie cash, so go to it, Mrs. Sheila Ford Hamp!!
              My friend Ken L

Comment

#birdsarentreal

Comment

I'm confused. Texas A&M wins 51-10, then fires the HC the next day?
                  "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                  Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

#birdsarentreal

Comment

Players taking notes. "Ok let me write this down... one asscheek and three toes... got it."

Comment

the look on Goff's face is priceless
                        "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

I find it interesting that MCDC gives so much credit to Sean Payton.

It traces back to Bill Parcells. Parcells was a "negative" motivator. He often belittled his players. For example, after one game he emptied a trash can on a linebacker's head and called him trash. They later won the Super Bowl and in response the Gatorade coach dunk was born as "revenge" for that. We see that Belichick, who came from the Parcells tree, is also a negative motivator, as was our Fatty Matty Patty. Sean Payton is also from the Parcells tree and is a negative motivator.

But MCDC is nothing like that, so it's interesting that he gives so much credit to Payton. I get being respectful in a relationship league is important, but all I really see that MCDC got from Payton is the willingness to be aggressive and take risks. Maybe also special teams emphasis. I can't believe he runs the team in the same way because Payton's Saints were finesse and we're physical, so it's difficult to believe that the same logistic side of team management is being deployed. Sean Payton is just an unlikable asshole. It's hard to say that MCDC learned what not to do because Payton had success with the Saints.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
                            I find it interesting that MCDC gives so much credit to Sean Payton.

It traces back to Bill Parcells. Parcells was a "negative" motivator. He often belittled his players. For example, after one game he emptied a trash can on a linebacker's head and called him trash. They later won the Super Bowl and in response the Gatorade coach dunk was born as "revenge" for that. We see that Belichick, who came from the Parcells tree, is also a negative motivator, as was our Fatty Matty Patty. Sean Payton is also from the Parcells tree and is a negative motivator.

But MCDC is nothing like that, so it's interesting that he gives so much credit to Payton. I get being respectful in a relationship league is important, but all I really see that MCDC got from Payton is the willingness to be aggressive and take risks. Maybe also special teams emphasis. I can't believe he runs the team in the same way because Payton's Saints were finesse and we're physical, so it's difficult to believe that the same logistic side of team management is being deployed. Sean Payton is just an unlikable asshole. It's hard to say that MCDC learned what not to do because Payton had success with the Saints.
                            He won the only Super Bowl that he's won with Bounty Gate. Otherwise, Payton's Playoff record is way overrated.

As much as I despise Belichick, his teams had a great Playoff record. Even though the Patriots lost 3 Super Bowls under Belichick, all 3 were close games, within a TD or less. Eli Manning will eventually go to the Pro Football Hall of Fame because he was the Kryptonite to Tom Brady in his 2 Super Bowl wins, similar to our team when we have been playing Seattle lately.

But, like you said, Bill Parcells is the linchpin to all the successful Head Coaches that we've talked about that aren't from the Bill Walsh tree. Heck, Andy Reid came from the Walsh tree himself via Mike Holmgren, and both Mike Holmgren, Reid, and Bill Walsh are from the Sid Gillman coaching tree, and that goes back a long ways in the history of football.

Overall, I love what MCDC has done so far with the Detroit Lions. Hoping that he'll be like the best of Parcells, Belichick, and Payton combined, and that he'll be our Head Coach for a long time, just like Belichick or Andy Reid.
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

Every coach's message eventually gets stale. I'm just hoping for a single playoff win before we start talking about the 10 Super Bowls it would take to outdo all 3 of those guys combined.

Comment

You can’t be a carbon copy of another coach and be successful. You have to do it your way. MCDC took bits and pieces from those guys and adds his own personality and what he learned as a player in the NFL, which I don’t think any of those other guys did, if I’m not mistaken.
                                3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                                10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

Working...
                                X