Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
    40 fucking years too late for each of them...
    That's not very nice, CG.
    ------------
    <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• True. But disco sucked that bad.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I liked their pre-disco stuff. Kinda Beatle like.

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY&ob=av2n"]Bee Gees - Stayin&#39; Alive [Version 1] (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIcjNa1cqQ"]Bee Gees - Lonely Days [Promo Clip 1970] - YouTube[/ame]
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I liked Lonely Days and Run To Me. It's been a long time since I even thought about those songs. I'm sure there's a couple of more that I liked from that era.
              ------------

Comment

• But SNF destroyed any goodwill they had. The falsetto or what ever it is sound of Barry is still cringe worthy
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Yeah, their format change didn't really make sense to me. They went from ballads to dance music. It made em a fortune, so fuck me, what do I know.
                  ------------

Comment

• A moment of silence for a true innovator and hero to us all.

Inventor of the TV remote dies

By John D. Sutter, CNN
                    updated 7:48 PM EDT, Tue May 22, 2012 | Filed under: Innovations

Channel surfers everywhere owe a debt to inventor Eugene Polley, who died this week.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
                    • Eugene Polley, inventor of the wireless TV remote, dies at 96
                    • Polley worked for Zenith when he created the "Flash-Matic" remote
                    • "It used a flashlight-like device to activate photocells on the television," Zenith says

(CNN) -- The inventor of the TV remote, Eugene Polley, died on Sunday at 96.
                    After his death was announced on Tuesday, the Internet paused -- get it? -- to remember the man and the wireless television remote control, which ushered in the era of channel surfing and couch potatoes.
                    Some tributes were humorous. Others were fawning.
                    "Gush all you want about Facebook, Twitter and other recent tech innovations. I'd stack Polley and his TV remote against all of them," wrote David Lazarus at LATimes.com. "After all, which would you be more willing to give up -- Facebook or your remote? ... Thought so."
                    Polley, who died of "natural causes," according to a news release, invented Zenith's "Flash-Matic" wireless remote control, which was introduced in 1955 and was heralded as the first of its kind. "It used a flashlight-like device to activate photocells on the television set to change channels," the Zenith news release says.
                    In the 1950s, the mechanics of using a remote were a little clunky:
                    "The viewer used a highly directional flashlight to activate the four control functions, which turned the picture and sound on and off and changed channels by turning the tuner dial clockwise and counterclockwise," Zenith says.
                    Rosa Golijan from MSNBC writes that eccentricities always have been part of the remote control and its odd history:
                    "Because the remote shined visible light, TVs could be confused by other light sources. In spite of its quirkiness, the Flash-Matic was a revolution, and the reason Polley was bestowed with humorous titles ranging from 'the founding father of the couch potato' to 'the czar of zapping' to 'the beach boy of channel surfing.' "
                    And an advertisement from that era underscores just how new this invention was.
                    "A flash of magic light from across the room (no wires, no cords) turns set on, off or changes channels," one ad says, "and you remain in your easy chair!"
                    Born in Chicago, Polley had a long career as an engineer at Zenith, where he worked his way up from the stockroom. His inventions, mostly in the field of television, earned 18 U.S. patents.
                    Technology analysts, commentators and remote users are using the occasion of Polley's death to celebrate his invention and tease a bit about its legacy.
                    "Thanks for the belly Eugene," someone wrote on the tech blog Gizmodo's Facebook page. "Just kidding. Great invention."
                    Others chose to focus on the way Polley, who won a Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for his creation, changed the world with the invention.
                    The TV remote was the precursor to interactive entertainment -- and it's part of the reason we're able to navigate digital content so freely, says The Atlantic's Alexis Madrigal.
                    "The new device meant people could change channels quickly and easily from the comfort of their sectionals, and that affordance meant that television stations could not continue to sell advertising or deliver programming the way that they had before when it was more difficult to change the channel," he writes. "I do not think it is an accident that we started channel surfing (1986) before we started surfing the Web."
                    As if taking a cue from that thought, one Twitter user wrote:
                    "R.I.P. Eugene Polley, inventor of the TV remote control. Please honor the man by reading this tweet for at least 5 seconds before scrolling."
                    Gizmodo also muses on the post-remote world:
                    "Cordless control allowed audiences a vastly new experience of consuming television: For the first time ever, they could switch programs without getting up to turn the dial. No longer were programs endured simply because they were too lazy to get up off the couch. Commercials could be avoided by switching channels, or muted, with just the press of a button. 'Channel surfing' become a thing."

Comment

• Thank you, Eugene, for your magnificent contribution. RIP.
                      ------------

Comment

• Thanks for the extra 10 pounds. RIP.

Comment

• Thought i heard the ghost of robin gibb in my herb garden. But when i went to check, it was just the chive talking......

RIP Robin, saw you on a chat show once....., great sense of humour buddy,..... , gonna get my arse booted from Tony, but you'd have laughed at that ^^^^, for sure!
                          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                            I do not consider Rap music.

I consider it lyrics to a meter. No melody or counter melodies involved. Only primal inspired tempo with objectionable word smithing.
                            primal inspired tempo?
                            "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Heh, heh.

Ya, a tempo very similar to drum beating by primal clans and cultures.
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• So in other words....music.
                                Last edited by mason reese; May 25, 2012, 07:31 AM.
                                "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

Working...
                                X