No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He was also the first I ever heard say that two words that don't go together are "military" and "intelligence."
    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
      Carlin will be missed.

RIP

No offense to MR. Russert, but Carlin is the guy the media should be doing hour-long tributes to.
      I agree, nick. loved Carlin
      Please address the D!!!!!!

Comment

• Yep.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
        GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• The insight of George Carlin:

"The real owners are the big wealthy business interests that control things and make all the important decisions. Forget the politicians, they're an irrelevancy. The politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own and control the corporations. They've long since bought and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the statehouses, the city halls. They've got the judges in their back pockets. And they own all the big media companies, so that they control just about all of the news and information you hear. They've got you by the balls. They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying – lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want; they want more for themselves and less for everybody else."
          "But I'll tell you what they don't want. They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them. That's against their interests. They don't want people who are smart enough to sit around the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting fucked by a system that threw them overboard 30 fucking years ago. You know what they want? Obedient workers – people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork but just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shittier jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, reduced benefits, the end of overtime and the vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it. And, now, they're coming for your Social Security. They want your fucking retirement money. They want it back, so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street. And you know something? They'll get it. They'll get it all, sooner or later, because they own this fucking place. It's a big club, and you ain't in it. You and I are not in the big club."
          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I prefer his humor.

Comment

• I was in my mother's belly as she sat in the waiting room of the abortionist's office. Dr. Sunshine was his code name. I was fifty feet from the drainpipe, and she saw a painting on the wall that reminded her of her mother, who had recently died. She took that as a sign to have the baby. That's what I call luck. -- George Carlin
              The only logical explanation is:
              I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by ColoradoLion View Post
                I prefer his humor.
                I was gonna say. That's damn depressing.
                I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• I prefer his humor.
                  I agree, I didn't like his political stuff.
                  AKA Dave Lubin

Comment

• Truth is often depressing. However, like George said, most people have been bought off with the latest gadgets, so that they don't pay attention anymore. So if the truth depresses you, go shopping!
                    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Take some of the salty language out and it sounds like a Ralph Nader stump speech.

All I'm saying is Ralph Nader would have a tough time in "Last Comic Standing".

Comment

• HBO to re-air classic George Carlin concerts

HBO is presenting a series of encore presentations, including his last concert, George Carlin: It's Bad for You, on Friday, June 27, at 9 o'clock (ET) on HBO (the main channel). The show debuted in March. But that's not all.

HBO has gone into the vault and will present 11 George Carlin specials. They'll air on HBO2 over two nights: on Wednesday, June 25 from 8 o'clock p.m. to 2 o'clock a.m., back to back, they'll show: George Carlin at USC (1977); George Carlin Again! (1978); Carlin at Carnegie (1983); Carlin on Campus (1984); and Playin' with Your Head (1986).

Then, on Thursday, June 26, starting at 8 o'clock p.m.: What Am I Doing in New Jersey? (1988); Doin' It Again (1990); Jammin' in New York (1992); Back in Town (1996); You Are All Diseased (1999); and, finally, It's Bad for Ya (2008).
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• NBC airing first episode of SNL as a Carlin tribute - VIDEO

Posted Jun 25th 2008 12:45PM by Joel Keller
                          Filed under: Saturday Night Live, Video, Celebrities, Reality-Free

Of the many achievements George Carlin had in his long career, one that gets underplayed a bit is that he was the guest host on the first-ever episode of Saturday Night Live -- then called NBC's Saturday Night, thanks to Howard Cosell -- in 1975. Not a bad choice, I'd have to say; since the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players" were only a part of that first episode (there was a lot of music and odd Muppets about ... the show took some time to find itself), they needed Carlin to carry a lot of the comedic load. And that he did, giving the audience a number of his best routines from that time period.

As a tribute to the recently-deceased comedy legend, NBC will air the entire premiere episode of SNL this Saturday night. For those who have never seen the premiere before (it's on a DVD set of the complete first season), it'll be interesting to see how different the first episode is from the SNL format they know and hate-love today. I'll be DVRing it; will you?
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Thanks Deb. I'll definately be TiVo'ing that SNL special.
                            Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• The HBO special is a half hour from now. I might flip over from the Tiger game.
                              ------------
                              <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Bravo recently ran a repeat of Carlin on Inside the Actor's Studio. It was really great to see. Kind of poignant at the end when he got philosophical about the future of our society. He said he was glad he was closer to death than birth because he thinks we're close to a cataclysmic event.
                                "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

Working...
                                X