No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uriah Heep or Spinal Tap? You be the judge.

[youtube]m4o--q6xuvs[/youtube]

[youtube]u0iuaxvkXv4[/youtube]
    Last edited by CGVT; January 24, 2008, 10:37 AM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Can I guess the Bee Gees?????

Comment

• A 10 year old with two years of lessons plays a better guitar than Mick Box.
        I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
          A 10 year old with two years of lessons plays a better guitar than Mick Box.
          Ha! That may be true, but we sure thought they were good in 1975

They still beat the shit out of Disco
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
            You don't have to like millen to be a fan of the team........most everyone in here is a fan in spite of the big fella.

And your 20/20 hindsight (not to be confused with insight) gets old. If you knew the team was going to fall apart any second.....why not show up here and make that claim? But no, (as expected) you ran and hid only to show up after the melt-down and claim you knew it was going to happen all the time.
            Tee hee hee.... BUSTED!
            Apathetic No More.

Comment

• Feel free to make yourself feel as though that is true.

Its not.
              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Can the rest of us also feel free to make ourselves feel as though that was true?
                I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Any of you can feel free to make yourself believe your own lies.

The truth and a single PM to a trusted poster before the big freefall give me a free conscience.

Comment

• Oh the memories...Uriah Heep, GFR, Foghat, Humble Pie, Black Foot... But my favorite was Sweet.

So you think you'll take
                    another piece of me
                    to satisfy
                    your intellectual needs.

[youtube]H4GXV-lCGJ8&rel=1[/youtube]

PS Gonz ...Brother I didn't get the PM
                    Dopeler Effect: The Tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly. - Author unknown

Comment

• This staph infection stuff is scary bad...

Roy Scheider, Actor in ?Jaws,? Dies at 75

By DAVE KEHR
                      Published: February 11, 2008

Roy Scheider, a stage actor with a background in the classics who became one of the leading figures in the American film renaissance of the 1970s, died on Sunday afternoon in Little Rock, Ark. He was 75 and lived in Sag Harbor, N.Y.

Roy Scheider, right, with Richard Dreyfuss in ?Jaws? (1975). Mr. Scheider played the police chief of a resort town menaced by a shark.

Mr. Scheider had suffered from multiple myeloma for several years, and died of complications from a staph infection, his wife, Brenda Siemer, said.

Mr. Scheider?s rangy figure, gaunt face and emotional openness made him particularly appealing in everyman roles, most famously as the agonized police chief of ?Jaws,? Steven Spielberg?s 1975 breakthrough hit, about a New England resort town haunted by the knowledge that a killer shark is preying on the local beaches.

Mr. Scheider conveyed an accelerated metabolism in movies like ?Klute? (1971), his first major film role, in which he played a threatening pimp to Jane Fonda?s New York call girl; and in William Friedkin?s ?French Connection? (also 1971), as Buddy Russo, the slightly more restrained partner to Gene Hackman?s marauding police detective, Popeye Doyle. That role earned Mr. Scheider the first of two Oscar nominations.

Born in 1932 in Orange, N.J., Mr. Scheider earned his distinctive broken nose in the New Jersey Diamond Gloves Competition. He studied at Rutgers and at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., where he graduated as a history major with the intention of going to law school. He served three years in the United States Air Force, rising to the rank of first lieutenant. When he was discharged, he returned to Franklin and Marshall to star in a production of ?Richard III.?

His professional debut was as Mercutio in a 1961 New York Shakespeare Festival production of ?Romeo and Juliet.? While continuing to work onstage, he made his movie debut in ?The Curse of the Living Corpse? (1964), a low-budget horror film by the prolific schlockmeister Del Tenney. ?He had to bend his knees to die into a moat full of quicksand up in Connecticut,? recalled Ms. Siemer, a documentary filmmaker. ?He loved to demonstrate that.?

In 1977 Mr. Scheider worked with Mr. Friedkin again in ?Sorcerer,? a big-budget remake of Henri-Georges Clouzot?s 1953 French thriller, ?The Wages of Fear,? about transporting a dangerous load of nitroglycerine in South America.

Offered a leading role in ?The Deer Hunter? (1979), Mr. Scheider had to turn it down in order to fulfill his contract with Universal for a sequel to ?Jaws.? (The part went to Robert De Niro.)

?Jaws 2? failed to recapture the appeal of the first film, but Mr. Scheider bounced back, accepting the principal role in Bob Fosse?s autobiographical phantasmagoria of 1979, ?All That Jazz.? Equipped with Mr. Fosse?s Mephistophelean beard and manic drive, Mr. Scheider?s character, Joe Gideon, gobbled amphetamines in an attempt to stage a new Broadway show while completing the editing of a film (and pursuing a parade of alluring young women) ? a monumental act of self-abuse that leads to open-heart surgery. This won Mr. Scheider an Academy Award nomination in the best actor category. (Dustin Hoffman won that year, for ?Kramer vs. Kramer.?)

In 1980, Mr. Scheider returned to his first love, the stage, where his performance in a production of Harold Pinter?s ?Betrayal? opposite Blythe Danner and Raul Julia earned him the Drama League of New York award for distinguished performance. Although he continued to be active in films, notably in Robert Benton?s ?Still of the Night? (1982) and John Badham?s action spectacular ?Blue Thunder? (1983), he moved from leading men to character roles, including an American spy in Fred Schepisi?s ?Russia House? (1990) and a calculating Mafia don in ?Romeo Is Bleeding? (1993).

One of the most memorable performances of his late career was as the sinister, wisecracking Dr. Benway in David Cronenberg?s adaptation of William S. Burroughs?s ?Naked Lunch? (1991).

Living in Sag Harbor, Mr. Scheider continued to appear in films and lend his voice to documentaries, becoming, Ms. Siemer said, increasingly politically active. With the poet Kathy Engle, he helped to found the Hayground School in Bridgehampton, dedicated to creating an innovative, culturally diverse learning environment for local children. At the time of his death, Mr. Scheider was involved in a project to build a film studio in Florence, Italy, for a series about the history of the Renaissance.

Besides his wife, his survivors include three children, Christian Verrier Scheider and Molly Mae Scheider, with Ms. Siemer, and Maximillia Connelly Lord, from an earlier marriage, to Cynthia Bebout; a brother, Glenn Scheider of Summit, N.J.; and two grandchildren.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• RIP Mr. Scheider

Comment

• Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69

March 4, 2008, 3:39 PM EST

The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans, many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as January, she said.

"It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them," Gail Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures with the help of complicated rules. The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that's still growing in popularity.

Born Ernest Gary Gygax, he grew up in Chicago and moved to Lake Geneva at the age of 8. Gygax's father, a Swiss immigrant who played violin in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, read fantasy books to his only son and hooked him on the genre, Gail Gygax said.

Gygax dropped out of high school but took anthropology classes at the University of Chicago for a while, she said. He was working as an insurance underwriter in the 1960s, when he began playing war-themed board games.

But Gygax wanted to create a game that involved more fantasy. To free up time to work on that, he left the insurance business and became a shoe repairman, she said.
                          Gygax also was a prolific writer and wrote dozens of fantasy books, including the Greyhawk series of adventure novels.

Gary Sandelin, 32, a Manhattan attorney, said his weekly Dungeons & Dragons game will be a bit sadder on Wednesday night because of Gygax's passing. The beauty of the game is that it's never quite the same, he said.

Funeral arrangements are pending. Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by six children, and a level 55 Ranger with Uber-Hit points.
                          The only logical explanation is:
                          I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Never played the game but I think it's cool to hear about people quitting their jobs to do something they love and then making it successful like that
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by six children, and a level 55 Ranger with Uber-Hit points.
                              LOL! I enjoy the computer games quite a bit, but the "live" version seems like more trouble than I like.
                              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• This guy is just someone that earned 15 minutes of fame by dying in a very stupid, unnecessary way.

Man Dies When Wind Flips Mattress He Was Moving
                                *Thursday, March 06, 2008

MOUNT JULIET, Tenn. ? High winds are blamed for the death of a man who died when a mattress he was sitting on was blown off the back of a pickup truck.

Police said Doyle Smith, 42, a public works employee, was helping move the mattress Monday.

The wind flipped the mattress and Smith fell and hit his head on the road. He died at Maury Regional Hospital.

Mount Pleasant Police Chief Tom Wilson said the death would be classified as weather-related.

*Mom, tell us about Dad again? Well, yur daddy wasn't a very bright man, but he luvd ya'll very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X