Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
    That's different than what Wolfe says in The Right Stuff. Where did you learn that?
    Tom Wolfe's book relied heavily on Chuck Yeager's interviews and opinions.

Thanks Dean.

Comment

• Gene Kranz's book is really good. Certainly a man I'd love to meet.
      AAL Quintez Cephus
      If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Read Deke Slaytyon's autobiography. A real page turner.

I always thought Krantz would have made an excellent astronaut

Comment

• Tom Wolfe's book relied heavily on Chuck Yeager's interviews and opinions.
          True but not about the actual stuff at the cape. Pete Conrad seems to have been one of his sources
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
            True but not about the actual stuff at the cape. Pete Conrad seems to have been one of his sources
            I'm sure Wolfe interviewed all living former astronauts when writing his book. I'm pretty sure Wolfe made a conscious decision to only include what he wanted to include. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his book but he has been criticized for not including ALL points of view.

Next on my reading list is Andrew Chaiken's book, A Man on the Moon. He interviewed ALL astronauts involved in the Apollo missions. I'm sure Pete Conrad's interviews were HIGHLY entertaining

Comment

• RIP Mr. Carpenter.
              GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• You know Ed Lauter, even if you don't recall his name. Passed away Oct 17 at his home in Los Angeles Wednesday after battling mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer

Known for his bald pate and stern demeanor, throughout his career Lauter played a series of authority figures and villains including generals, policemen, mobsters and fathers and was in demand right up until his death.

RIP

Comment

• RIP Ed. I knew him as a role player in a lot of things I have watched.
                  I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• RIP, Ed.
                    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Marcia Wallace, star on Newhart show and 'The Simpsons,' dies

By Melissa Gray, CNN
                      updated 4:44 PM EDT, Sat October 26, 2013

Marcia Wallace, whose four-decade television career included playing secretary Carol Kester on "The Bob Newhart Show" and the voice of Bart's fourth-grade teacher on "The Simpsons," has died, her agent said Saturday.

HIDE CAPTION

'Simpsons' voice artist Wallace dies

<<
                      <

>
                      >>

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
                      • Wallace played Bart's 4th-grade teacher on 'The Simpsons'
                      • She also played Bob's secretary on 'The Bob Newhart Show' and again on 'Murphy Brown'
                      • Wallace guest-starred on many TV shows in the 1970s and 1980s
                      • She was also a mainstay of game shows like 'The Hollywood Squares'

(CNN) -- Marcia Wallace, whose four-decade television career included playing the secretary on "The Bob Newhart Show" and Bart's fourth-grade teacher on "The Simpsons," has died, her agent said Saturday.
                      Wallace was 70, according to imdb.com. Her cause of death were not immediately confirmed.
                      Wallace starred for six seasons as Carol Kester on "The Bob Newhart Show" in the 1970s and reprised the role in the 1990s on "Murphy Brown."
                      But it was her Emmy-winning role as Edna Krabappel, Bart Simpson's teacher with the snarky laugh, that may have earned her the most fame in recent years. It was a part she held since the show's premiere in 1990.
                      Photos: People we lost in 2013

"I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace," executive producer Al Jean of "The Simpsons" said in a statement. "She was beloved by all at 'The Simpsons' and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character."
                      Jean said rumors that the show had already planned to retire Wallace's character are not true, he added.
                      "Marcia's passing is unrelated and again, a terrible loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her," Jean said.
                      Wallace was a regular guest star on a host of popular TV shows in the 1970s and 1980s, from "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" to "Gimme a Break!", "ALF," "Night Court," "Charles in Charge" and "Magnum, P.I."
                      She was also a mainstay of TV game shows such "The Hollywood Squares," "Password" and "The (New) $25,000 Pyramid" and starred in numerous stage productions including a touring production of "The Vagina Monologues."
                      In recent years, Wallace also advocated for awareness of breast cancer, a disease she battled herself. Her 2004 book, "Don't Look Back, We're Not Going That Way," in part chronicled her fight with breast cancer
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• lou reed passed today :(

Comment

• Now he's on the wild side

Comment

• Sad day for Rock and Roll

[ame]http://youtu.be/JUsUI-txQbM[/ame]
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Bummer news after seeing such fun NFL action today.

I saw him at the infamous AMNESTY INTL CONSPIRACY OF HOPE L.A., CA show circa 1986 (?).

Another legend passes.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• RIP Lou.
                                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X