No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three and Out: Lions shouldn't stand pat after Hutchinson injury and Sunday's ruthlessness should be added to identity

Justin Rogers
    Oct 14

Potential temporary 2024 replacement for Aidan Hutchinson.jpg

Here are three observations after a second viewing and a night to ponder the Detroit Lions’ 47-9 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Reinforcements (probably) needed

From the jump, the Lions haven’t shied away from proclaiming their 2024 aspirations. There’s a preferred route to get there, including a second consecutive NFC North crown, but the goal after falling just short a year ago is the franchise’s first Super Bowl championship.

That dream took a significant hit in Sunday’s dismantling of the Cowboys when superstar edge rusher Aidan Hutchinson suffered a broken leg. Outside of quarterback Jared Goff, there’s not a more significant loss the roster could have suffered, accentuated by an already concerning lack of depth at the position.

In the immediate aftermath, the Lions will rally the troops and diligently assess the situation. Josh Paschal, a former second-round pick, has stepped up the past couple of weeks, while Levi Onwuzurike has operated well when lined up on the edge. Still, the team will likely need reinforcements.

Two young players figure to get an early crack at being part of the patchwork solution, linebacker Trevor Nowaske and undrafted rookie defensive end Isaac Ukwu. The latter has more of a three-down build to handle the rugged requirements of playing the edge in Detroit’s defensive scheme. Plus, he acquitted himself well in his season debut, playing significant snaps in Hutchinson’s stead during the second half against the Cowboys.

Context must be considered, obviously. The opponent was one-dimensional given their deficit, but Ukwu is physical, plays with violent hands, and has decent bend despite his boxy frame, showing improved lane integrity after struggles overrunning the QB during the preseason.

Of course, betting on Ukwu, or James Houston returning from the dead, is a risky bet. There’s a reason everyone is waiting with bated breath to see if GM Brad Holmes can pull a rabbit out of his hat via the trade market.

The social media and talk radio buzz will be centered around the biggest names, but bringing Maxx Crosby back to Michigan might be a pipe dream. I'm not saying you don't make the call. Of course Holmes should, but a more realistic target might be Trey Hendrickson, who has been one of the league’s top sack artists in recent years. He spent time with coach Dan Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn in New Orleans, has a reasonable cap figure, and is under contract through 2025.

Hendrickson wants a new deal, which could be a mild deterrent. He asked to be traded this offseason, but the Bengals, as they typically do, didn’t cave to player demands. And to his credit, Hendrickson didn’t hold out. Additionally, after winning Sunday night, the Bengals are only a game out of the AFC playoff picture, so there’s no reason to think they’d be sellers, despite a less-than-stellar start.

But let's say their ship doesn't get righted the next few weeks, ahead of the Nov. 5 trade deadline. If Hendrickson finds his way to the block, and Cincinnati's ask is a second-round pick (and maybe even a little more), that's a justifiable price to pay, right?

Floundering Jacksonville, on the other hand, likely wouldn’t mind unloading some talent for draft equity. It feels doubtful they’d be willing to part with the man selected ahead of Hutchinson in the 2022 draft, Trayvon Walker, but like Crosby, it’s worth asking. Alternatively, what about Arik Armstead, who the Lions liked in free agency a couple of offseasons back, before the Jags offered him more money?

I’m admittedly spitballing a bit, still gobsmacked by the situation. I thought the Lions had enough juice on the edge when Hutchinson was healthy. No one was thinking about having to replace the Pro Bowler. But I do agree with the majority; if the Lions want to retain their status as a legitimate Super Bowl contender, standing still is a chance not worth taking.

From good to elite

Under Ben Johnson’s stewardship, the Lions have had one of the league’s better offenses since 2022, but they’ve never had a two-game stretch like this. Not only is this the first time the franchise has scored 40 points in back-to-back games going back to at least 1962, but they’re producing at an unbelievably efficient clip.

Against the Cowboys, the Lions scored on nine straight possessions to open the contest. That offensive explosion comes a week after they went five-for-five in the red zone against the Seahawks. In those matchups, they've averaged a staggering 7.5 and 7.8 yards per play, respectively, two of the best single-game rates of Johnson’s three-season tenure as coordinator.

The national media was incredulous regarding Johnson’s decision to return to Detroit after he was the hottest candidate in the latest hiring cycle, yet his resume is only getting stronger thanks to what’s looking to be the most complete unit he’s led.

It’s remarkable when you think about that. Detroit's ground game is as dynamic as any in the league, Jameson Williams is finally fulfilling his potential and then some, and the Lions have found a legitimate replacement for Josh Reynold in Tim Patrick. Pair all that with the all-star talent of Amon-Ra St. Brown and Sam LaPorta and it's a nightmare for opponents to try to prepare for and defend.

With the 89-point outburst in the past two games, the Lions are now No. 1 in scoring. That’s hardly a mirage. In fact, I’d contend their ability to both wear you down with physicality and overwhelm you with speed makes this the NFL’s best offense, with only the 49ers and Ravens having a claim to the contrary.

Embracing Sunday’s ruthlessness

One thing I’ve grown to appreciate about the Lions, maybe even love, is the team’s competitive pettiness. They internalize slights and are willing to make you pay, often in overtly humorous ways.

This game epitomizes that attitude. Last year’s loss to Dallas, no matter how frustrating it was to be robbed by an officiating error, truly had no bearing on this year’s matchup. Tell that to the Lions, who came in and were not only seeking a measure of revenge, they wanted the whole damn enchilada.

From having Dan Skipper and Taylor Decker both report eligible multiple times to throwing a pass to Decker in the end zone to Johnson unloading his bag of tricks, including a hook-and-ladder try to Sewell with the game well in hand, the Lions made a statement that they don’t forget and they won’t be bullied.

No, they're the bully.

Had it not been for the Hutchinson injury, fans would have been talking about this as the most fun they’ve had watching this team -- not just in recent memory, but maybe ever.

Pettiness is fun, but the Lions were equally ruthless. It’s not easy to find that extra gear, but it’s an attribute worth trying to bottle and infuse into the team's pre-established identity. Even at their best under Campbell, they’ve never gone for the jugular the way they did on Sunday, looking for downfield shots until they were up so big in the fourth quarter they were able to pull multiple starters.

That’s energy worth keeping.

Email: jrogers@detroitfootball.net

X: Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• After the offensive explosion these past 2 games, Lions now leading the league in scoring (30.2 per) and are 3rd in total YPG, 4th in passing, and 4th in rushing.

Comment

• BTW, Peko injured his pec yesterday. He was starting to come on and was playing well.

Another blow to the defense
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Any word on Martin? I’m not high on him being a helpful player but it’s been radio silence as far as I can tell. Shouldn’t he be in the evaluation period now, coming off the 4 week IR?

Comment

• Haven’t heard anything about Martin. Hopefully get him going in the coming weeks.

Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
            After the offensive explosion these past 2 games, Lions now leading the league in scoring (30.2 per) and are 3rd in total YPG, 4th in passing, and 4th in rushing.
            Everything is clicking. The offense pretty much looks like best case scenario based on our offseason wishlist.

Really need it to show vs Brian Flores and his feisty Vikings defense. Huge game. Can’t let the Sam Darnold Vikings get to 6-0….
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Having a productive Tim Patrick is doing wonders to the offense (81 PFF grade yesterday). In the weekly interview on 97.1, Goff had mentioned Allen Robinson is really coming on as well. Having two big receivers is something that will pay off over the season even if they won't have ridiculous stats
              ​​​

Comment

• Yep, exactly what we were hoping for with Patrick. The same thing happened when Reynolds came on board part way through year 2 - once he got acclimated, that's when the offense and Goff really took off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                  Any word on Martin? I’m not high on him being a helpful player but it’s been radio silence as far as I can tell. Shouldn’t he be in the evaluation period now, coming off the 4 week IR?
                  I suspect there was no reason to particularly push Martin considering how well the DT rotation was doing. With Peko hurt, we're gonna find out real quick where Martin's at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                    Any word on Martin? I’m not high on him being a helpful player but it’s been radio silence as far as I can tell. Shouldn’t he be in the evaluation period now, coming off the 4 week IR?
                    MCDC was asked about him on his way out of the presser on Thursday, I believe. He gave the standard, he's progressing, we like where he is", statement.

Comment

• Comment

• 3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                        10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• That's a start with Thomas, hopefully 1 or 2 more are on the way.

Comment

• Is Football Zeke any good?

Comment

• He’s a 25 year old 7th round draft pick that hasn’t played in a game in since 2022 and was riding the practice squad for a team desperately in need of pass rush help. So odds aren’t great.

But NFL GMs have lists of guys around the league they keep their eye on for these types of situations - their pull in case of emergency moves. He fits the Lions profile of big, long DEs. Because they signed him off another teams practice squad he has to stay on the Lions 53 man roster and can’t be moved to their practice squad.
                              Last edited by Mainevent; October 15, 2024, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Well, Thomas isn't Myles or Max, but it is a start.

Who knows, if Brad and Dan like his motor, he will probably end up the sack leader in the NFL this year.
                                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Working...
                                X