No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Miracle child' Mitchell Agude vying for spot with Detroit Lions years after accident

Dave Birkett
    Detroit Free Press

Paywall Freep article.

Grace Agude still doesn’t know how she got to the hospital.

Agude was with a client, supervising a new nurse for her home healthcare business, when she got a call from her husband, Sunday, that the youngest of the couple’s five children, Mitchell, had hurt his head in a skateboarding accident.

Mitchell was 8 at the time, in an ambulance on his way to the trauma center at Loma Linda University Medical Center in California. Grace was frantic. She hopped in her car and called 9-1-1, running red lights on her way to the emergency room. When she got there, a doctor pulled her aside and told her Mitchell was in a coma with swelling on his brain and to expect the worst.

Mitchell Agude at 11 years of age.jpg

“He said 'I want you to prepare for your life changing, because this is it,” Grace recalled. “ 'He’s not going to come out of this. He’s going to be a vegetable for life.' ”

An intensive care unit nurse before she became a business owner, Grace watched doctors cut Mitchell’s shorts so they could put a warming blanket on his cold body.

Her pastor joined her at the hospital, as did a prayer group from her church. She prayed in the ICU and in the privacy of a bathroom, and to this day she only has one explanation for what happened next.

Mitchell Agude awoke from his coma with no signs of the trauma that doctors feared would end his life.

He spent three days in the hospital, walked out under his own power and, roughly 17 years later, will play his third preseason game with the Detroit Lions against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday, as he fights for a spot as a backup pass rusher on the 53-man roster.

“When it happened I couldn’t have even imagined that we’re talking about life and talking about football,” Grace said Thursday. “You can only see that when you believe in miracles and that’s just a miracle for us. My husband calls him a miracle child.”

A birthday gift

Mitchell Agude still remembers what happened that day. Not the hospital part; he has no recollection of that. But he knows he went to a skate park with a friend and fell backwards with no helmet on as he tried to drop down a pike.

“We played like ‘Skate 2’ or something like that, just the video game, and he was a skater so I was like, ‘I’ll try it,’ not thinking it was hard, just thinking it was a video game-type thing,” Mitchell told the Free Press this spring. “So I took my turn, fell down, hit my head and then … Yeah, went down that, thinking (expletive) was sweet, and (expletive) was not sweet. (Expletive) was not sweet.”

Mitchell Agude and his mother Grace Agude.jpg

Mitchell said his memory is blank from the moment he hit his head until he left the hospital three days later, but Grace remembers her son being intubated, doctors giving him IVs to try to reduce the swelling on his brain and telling her she needed to talk to a social worker to prepare for the next steps.

“Whenever anybody asks me about him, I always cry because it’s too emotional,” she said. “I couldn’t even explain it to anybody, except anybody who is a believer that knows that God can do and undo because (a doctor) telling somebody that their child is going to be a vegetable, came out three days later, nothing. No residual. Nothing. Here today. Still today. Not even a headache, not even anything.”

Mitchell said he had to go for regular CT scans and MRIs in the years following the accident, and his parents wouldn’t let him play contact sports.

Mitchell’s older brother, Nnamdi, started playing high school football around that time, and Mitchell watched with envy, wanting to try the sport himself.

“I would sneak outside — after school, middle school, right, I would go to the park, cause all my friends was at the park and I just wanted to be a regular kid cause that’s how I felt,” Mitchell said. “So like I would go to the park and all I hear is, ‘Mitchell,’ just yelling and then I see my mom running, like, ‘No, I’m just trying to play.’ So after like a year or two went by and she was like, ‘OK.’ I was like, ‘I just want to be a kid,’ so she allowed it.”

Mitchell actually snuck his way onto his first football team around the time he was 13, when he asked his older sisters to sign the permission slip he needed to play.

His mom found his football bag a few weeks later, and he copped to playing the sport behind her back.

“This is what he has been wanting to do, just like his brother,” Grace said. “So I said, ‘OK, since you’ve been doing it without me knowing, go ahead and now you can play. You can just play.’ Because if I keep on denying him the opportunity to do what he wanted to do, then who knows? But I didn’t want to stop him anymore. I said, ‘OK, fine, you can play.’ That was my 13 years gift for his birthday.”

Mitchell Agude 5-10-2024.jpg

‘Being alive is enough’

For Mitchell, that’s turned out to be the best gift he could have asked for.

He signed to play football at Riverside City College out of high school and spent two seasons at UCLA before finishing his college career at Miami.

Last year, he joined the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in the spring and was waived as part of final roster cuts at the end of the preseason before signing to the Lions’ practice squad in September. After a season of sharpening his pass-rush moves against All-Pro right tackle Penei Sewell in practice, Agude had an impressive spring and has continued his strong play with four tackles in each of the Lions’ first two preseason games this summer.

“I see growth,” Lions coach Dan Campbell said. “We like Mitch. Mitch, he's another guy, just busts his rear, he gives you everything he's got out there, and he's got some rush ability.”

A natural defensive end, Agude played some strong-side linebacker this offseason and in training camp as the Lions try and figure out how he can impact their roster.

Aidan Hutchinson and Marcus Davenport are expected to start at the edge-rush positions this fall with Derrick Barnes playing strong-side linebacker in three-linebacker sets. Agude is competing for one or two backup spots with the likes of James Houston, Isaac Ukwu and Mathieu Betts.

Campbell said Agude has “made the most of” his time at strong-side linebacker, which comes as little surprise to his mother after all he’s been through.

“The story of Mitchell is a story that needs to be on the archives because I’m telling you, Mitchell is alive today,” Grace said. “He always tells me, ‘Mom, being alive is enough for me,’ because they already said he’s going to be a vegetable for life.”

Mitchell said he believes “there’s a purpose for my life” after making it through his accident healthy.

He returned with his mother to her native Nigeria to take part in mission trips during his high school and college years, and he said he’s blessed to have traveled the road he did, from starting football late because of the accident, to going undrafted and spending last year on practice squad with the Lions.

“I think it’s written perfectly, honestly,” he said. “Like I wouldn’t change anything. Honestly, I would want to be drafted, but I can feel — I can feel the story being written perfectly, how it should be. So I think I just have high hopes for what’s to come.”

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on X and Instagram at @davebirkett.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions film review: Taking a deeper look at Hendon Hooker's preseason finale

Justin Rogers
        Aug 26

Hendon Hooker vs. Pittsburgh Steelers_8-24-2024.jpg

In an ideal world, Detroit Lions quarterback Hendon Hooker won’t take another snap in 2024, outside of potentially checking in for the final minutes of a blowout.

The developing backup got the start and played into the early stages of the fourth quarter in the team’s preseason finale, leading a 14-point rally in the 24-17 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Overcoming a rocky start, which saw him eat five sacks and lead the Lions to zero points their first four possessions, Hooker settled into a grove toward the end of the second quarter, resulting in three touchdowns his final five series.

Since the remainder of Hooker’s development this year will presumably take place behind the scenes, let’s take a closer look at the film to see what he did well and where there’s continued need for growth.

As always, it’s simpler to go through things drive by drive:

First drive, six plays, 0 yards, fumble

Things started well enough for Hooker, who delivered a clean ball to running back Zonovan Knight in the right flat for 8 yards, showing patience for a window to open as the Steelers rushed five.

Hooker kept his early momentum going by converting third-and-1, showing poise by stepping up in the pocket to avoid an unblocked blitzer before connecting with tight end Shane Zylstra in stride on a crossing pattern.

But things unraveled quickly. Hooker was sacked on three consecutive plays and I thought he had Tom Kennedy — his first read — open for a quick throw on the first two snaps.

Now facing third-and-a-mile, Hooker was looking for something deep. Instead, edge rusher Nick Herbig was able to successfully bend the edge around right tackle Colby Sorsdal and knock the ball free from the QB’s grasp as he stepped up and reared back to fire downfield, where he appeared to have a window to hit receiver Daurice Fountain on a deep dig.

Second drive, three plays, 0 yards, punt

The possession opened with a couple of Jermar Jefferson runs netting 0 yards after Zylstra whiffed on his blocking assignment on the second, resulting in a loss of 3.

On third-and-10, Detroit’s young, backup offensive line failed to pick up defensive tackle Montravius Adams, who was running a stunt. Unblocked, the 304-pounder forced a rushed throw where Hooker was unable to follow through, causing the QB to fire the ball at the feet of Donovan Peoples-Jones, who had a step on the coverage while running a shallow cross.

Third drive, six plays, 13 yards, punt

Facing another potential three-and-out, we see Hooker use his feet for the first time on third down. Recognizing immediate pressure up the middle from another poorly blocked stunt, the QB rolled right, saw his remaining read was well-covered and continued upfield for 9 yards.

The downside, which showed up regularly in this contest, was Hooker showed no interest in sliding and took a decent hit in the open field.

The chains wouldn’t move again as Hooker took another sack on the next snap when the play-action pass with only deep options left him with no check down when those reads were covered.

A risky throw into traffic on second down, where Peoples-Jones appeared to make a business decision instead of getting lit up, followed by another urgent scramble when his deep options couldn’t create separation on third down, resulted in another punt.

Fourth drive, three plays, -3 yards, punt

Like many mobile quarterbacks, the Lions will regularly call a play-action rollout to get Hooker into space, with a tight end to that side as the primary read. They went to that look on second-and-8, but the QB unnecessarily hurried his throw, which also lacked touch, resulting in an incompletion to Zylstra.

Third-and-long became third-and-longer after Giovanni Manu jumped early. The rookie offensive tackle compounded the problem by getting beat on the next snap, forcing Hooker to step up into a collapsing pocket for a fifth sack before his receivers even reached the top of their routes.

Fifth drive, 12 plays, 72 yards, punt

This drive had every reason to go sideways early as tight end James Mitchell dropped one of those designed play-action rollouts, and Peoples-Jones also put a catchable ball on the ground, when Hooker impressively fit one around a hard-charging cornerback to the receiver’s back shoulder.

On the plus side, Hooker’s protection held up well against an overload rush to his right, allowing him to move to his second progression and quickly pull the trigger on a crosser to Kaden Davis for a first down.

That was followed by a slick route release by rookie Isaiah Williams, running a slant. Hooker maximized the play with another in-stride ball, netting 17 yards on the gain.

The dual-threat quarterback put the Lions in position to finish in the end zone with another good decision to run, stepping up to avoid blitzing safety Damontae Kazee before taking a lane up the middle for a 19-yard gain to the 2-yard line.

Hooker put the finishing touches on the scoring drive two snaps later with a patient throw to running back Jake Funk in the right flat, doing a nice job to avoid defensive end DeMarvin Leal, who was squatting in the passing lane.

Sixth drive, five plays, 33 yards, touchdown

Taking over after a fumble recovery, Hooker had his best throw of the first half to kickstart a second consecutive touchdown drive.

After faking a handoff, the QB saw his first read, Peoples-Jones running a corner pattern, was blanketed. With pressure bearing down, Hooker moved to his second progression, took a shot in the pocket, but delivered a strike to Davis in the middle of the field for an 18-yard pickup.

Hooker added another first down with his feet, making the smart decision as opposed to forcing a ball into a tight window in the end zone. That set the Lions up first-and-goal at the 4-yard line and Jefferson punched it in after a couple of tries.

Seventh drive, 14 plays, 58 yards, missed field goal

Yeah, there were times Hooker should have gotten the ball out sooner instead of taking a sack, but if there’s one play he’ll be kicking himself over after this game, it will be a missed connection on a deep shot to Fountain.

After a quality, under-pressure connection to Zylstra to open the half, Hooker had Fountain for a touchdown after the big-bodied receiver got behind the coverage on a go route from the left slot. Unfortunately, the ball ended up woefully underthrown, and despite the receiver's attempt to adjust, it wound up incomplete.

The quarterback had to do more with his legs as the series progressed due to some poor play by his offensive line. On one snap, Manu got bulled deep into the pocket, forcing Hooker to bail. On another, a wide shotgun snap proved too difficult to handle, resulting in the quarterback aborting the designed handoff for a 14-yard scramble up the gut after he scooped up the loose ball.

The clunky drive still managed to move deep into Pittsburgh territory before stalling. It should have resulted in points, but kicker Jake Bates missed a 30-yard try.

Eight drive, two plays, 3 yards, interception

While I can’t say with any certainty, since both accepted blame for the error after the game, I believe the Steelers' zone coverage showed Williams made the correct decision to slow his route across the middle.

Instead, Hooker threw a leading ball, which ricocheted off the receiver’s fingertips after he tried to reaccelerate. That deflection was then picked off by former Lions cornerback Cam Sutton.

Regardless of who was right or wrong, this is the type of communication error that often gets weeded out with increased reps.

Ninth drive, seven plays, 73 yards, touchdown

Hooker capped his day with another touchdown drive, once again highlighting some of his good and bad traits displayed throughout the offseason.

On the negative side of the ledger, his two completions to Maurice Alexander both had subpar placement. He put the ball behind his receiver on an out route — which has resulted in a couple of interceptions during training camp practices — and Hooker was high and behind his target, forcing a leaping grab on a deep dig across the middle.

Of course, the dual-threat ability continues to bring added value. He avoided pressure for a 10-yard gain early in the possession and scored another 12-yard pickup when he couldn’t find an open receiver.

Hooker added a final 8 rushing yards, down to the 11-yard line, when tight end Sean McKeon stumbled on his route and Fountain was taken away by Pittsburgh’s zone coverage. That set up Jefferson’s go-ahead touchdown from 7 yards out.

Conclusion

Honestly, it was about what you’d expect from a young QB with Hooker’s skill set. There were some wow plays — mostly with his feet, but at least a couple with his arm — and some continued concerns about his ball placement and ability to get rid of the ball quickly to avoid sacks.

Overall, he made clear improvements, not only in this game, but throughout his first, full NFL offseason.

Email: jrogers@detroitfootball.net

X: Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions Release Donovan Peoples-Jones
          Detroit Lions releasing veteran wide receiver.

Christian Booher | 12 Minutes Ago

With Tuesday set as the deadline for teams to trim their roster to 53 players, the Detroit Lions made their first round of roster cuts.

Detroit is reportedly set to release wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones and waive wide receiver Kaden Davis, according to reports.

Peoples-Jones had struggled to find his footing throughout training camp. After being believed to be a potential successor to Josh Reynolds, the Michigan product was unable to assert himself amidst Detroit's wide receiver competition.

The Lions initially acquired Peoples-Jones in a trade deadline deal last season. He made five catches for 58 yards with the team last season. In his career, he has totaled 122 receptions for 1,895 yards and eight touchdowns.

Davis was initially a rookie minicamp tryout player who impressed and earned a contract. He was viewed as another one of the competitors for the vacancy at wide receiver, and caught a 61-yard touchdown from Nate Sudfeld in the second preseason game.

Players with three or fewer accrued seasons are subject to the waiver wire, meaning teams around the league can place claims on them. Those who have four or more seasons hit free agency and could re-sign with the Lions, either on the active roster or the practice squad.

Should the waived players go unclaimed, they could return to Detroit on its practice squad. The Lions can begin building their 16-player practice squad Wednesday at Noon.

Detroit could also add a 17th player to their practice squad through the NFL's International Player Pathways program, which allows teams to add a player born outside of the United States and Canada without counting against the 16-player limit.

Published 14 Minutes Ago|Modified 4:23 PM EDT
          Christian Booher
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Deb beat me to it.

They need to do something at WR. Houston will likely cut one of Robert Brooks or Noah Brown, those could be options.

Comment

• What a disappointment (the performance not the release) with Peoples-Jones
              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                What a disappointment (the performance not the release) with Peoples-Jones
                Yep. It certainly wasn't a surprise. HIs play was listless and sloppy over the preseason.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                  What a disappointment (the performance not the release) with Peoples-Jones
                  Yeah, I was hoping that maybe it was just a function of the Cleveland situation, but he is who he is. Outside of that one year he had a bunch of big plays, he's never figured it out in college or the NFL.

The other thing that POD guys pointed out is that he just doesn't look all that athletic out there. For a guy that was a specimen and known for big plays, he wasn't separating or standing out on the practice field.

Comment

• Tim Patrick wouldn't be the worst option.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Yep. It certainly wasn't a surprise. HIs play was listless and sloppy over the preseason.
                      Kinda what the Browns fans were saying when Detroit made the trade...he just hasnt been the same player he was his first 3 years.

Comment

• More cuts:

DE Mitchell Agude (source)

RB Zonovan Knight (source)

CB Rachad Wildgoose (source)

OL Bryan Hudson (source)

TE Shane Zylstra (source)
                        "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• From what I've read, Agude is a surprise and Zylstra was on the bubble.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Agude is a sub-250 edge player, so that probably means Houston made it as the designated pass rusher. Also probably means Ukwu (who’s 270) will make it as a backup DE.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
                              How do you go 72 yards and then punt?
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Agude also likely to make it to the PS.

Comment

Working...
                                X