My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Too many good players...a nice problem to have.

Comment

• Paywall article from today's News.

Lions training camp observations: Sloppy play results in reminder from Dan Campbell

Nolan Bianchi
            The Detroit News

Allen Park — Here are some notes and observations from Lions' training camp practice on Thursday.

▶ The Lions followed up two intense days of padded practices with a lighter "jog-through" on Wednesday, and it appears getting back into the normal swing of things was a little more difficult than anticipated. Thursday's practice was highlighted by sloppy play, most notably on the offensive side of the ball.

In addition to a pair of false starts (with one coming in a fourth-quarter situational drill), the frustration culminated midway through the practice with an attempt to rush the offense off the field for a field-goal attempt. They appeared to mess up the timing of the operation, which possibly contributed to a missed field goal from kicker Jake Bates at extra-point range — objectively his worst miss of camp so far. Head coach Dan Campbell stopped the practice to express his frustration.

"We got to be smart. Doesn't matter how hot it is, how late it is, how tired we are, how humid, we got to be able to compete," guard Kevin Zeitler said afterward, relaying Campbell's message. "Average might have been good a couple years ago, but that's not what we care about right now. We have bigger goals."

▶ Ifeatu Melifonwu isn't going down without a fight. The second-team safety on Thursday had one of his better practices, making a handful of impressive plays. One of the more notable pass breakups came against Sam LaPorta in a one-on-one drill and the other was against Brock Wright on a fourth-and-5 in a situational drill.

The first-team corners came to play; their best sequence came in an early red-zone drill. Terrion Arnold broke up a throw to Craig Reynolds while Carlton Davis III was locked in on the next two reps to prevent completions. Davis was later called for defensive holding while trying to defend a deep ball to Jameson Williams.

Ennis Rakestraw Jr. took reps with the first, second and third team and had his second interception of camp Thursday when a misstep between quarterback and receiver ended up putting the ball right into his hands.

▶ Injured defensive tackle DJ Reader made his first appearance in a practice jersey and could be spotted working with trainers off to the side along with running back Zonovan Knight, who missed practice for the third day in a row.

After some lackluster performances in recent days, rookie Sione Vaki started off with one of his more promising sessions of training camp. He went 4-0 in one-on-one tackling drills, with his two offensive reps coming against linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez and his two defensive reps against Jake Funk. Unfortunately for Vaki, the last blow caused him to leave practice and he was evaluated with a shoulder injury, results pending.

Brian Branch only participated in walkthroughs for the first week, but he returned to live action for the first time since being laid up with an ankle injury over the offseason. Branch didn't take part in any of the tackling one-on-ones at the start of practice, so it appears the Lions are still taking it a little easy, but the fact he was on the field for team drills is an encouraging sign. He and Davis were involved in a pass breakup during the situational drill.

Rodriguez also left practice briefly after a red-zone drill, but the reason is unknown, as he returned shortly after.

▶ Sixth-round rookie defensive tackle Mekhi Wingo got his day off to a hot start with the second team. He had a sack of Nate Sudfeld on the first rep of second-team 11-on-11, then added another on the first rep of a second-team situational drill near the end of practice. The Levi Onwuzurike hype train isn't slowing down any time soon. After Campbell said Wednesday Onwuzurike was clearly one of "the best" in camp, he displayed some excellent power in the one-on-one drills and then had a sack during the situational drill, although they did not adhere to the result and allowed the offense to move forward with a completion to LaPorta.

▶ Linebacker Mitchell Agude and defensive lineman Nate Lynn were two big standouts Thursday. In one sequence alone, they teamed up for a sack, and two plays later, Agude beat Dan Skipper for another. Later on, Lynn added a sack of Hendon Hooker during red-zone drills.

▶ We'll probably get more clarity on where Hooker and Sudfeld stand after the first preseason game, but the backup quarterback battle has been somewhat tight to this point.

Sudfeld threw the interception to Rakestraw on the first play of red-zone drills but rebounded nicely by throwing three consecutive touchdowns to Jahmyr Gibbs, Kaden Davis and Shane Zylstra. Hooker, too, rebounded after a sack by running for a touchdown — thanks to a great block by Jalon Calhoun on Mathieu Betts — and then dropping a dime to Donovan Peoples-Jones in the end zone for a touchdown.

Sudfeld's situational drill attempt — 23-20 game, 44 seconds left, starting at the opponent's 48-yard line — ended in just four plays without anything spectacular. Hooker, meanwhile, had 1:31 to work with in a 28-21 game but started at his own 30. He threw one of his best passes in a practice uniform down the seam to Zylstra for a gain of about 30 yards to get things started, but a few plays later, he telegraphed a throw to Zylstra that was intercepted by Malik Jefferson.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

@nolanbianchi

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• ""We got to be smart. Doesn't matter how hot it is, how late it is, how tired we are, how humid, we got to be able to compete," guard Kevin Zeitler said afterward, relaying Campbell's message. "Average might have been good a couple years ago, but that's not what we care about right now. We have bigger goals.-----------------------------Yep!
              GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Anxious to see Hooker in preseason...Will be disappointing if he cant beat out Sudfeld.

Comment

• The Detroit native seemed like an obvious choice to fill the void of departing receiver Josh Reynolds. But so far, he hasn't grabbed the brass ring.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Paywall article from today's News.

Lions training camp observations: Kicker Jake Bates hits a wall

Nolan Bianchi
                    The Detroit News

Allen Park — Here are some notes and observations from Lions' training camp practice on Friday.

▶ The Lions turned Friday’s practice into a scrimmage, giving us the closest look at live-action football this year. It’s set to be the last practice before the team heads out for joint practices with the New York Giants.

Head coach Dan Campbell said he wanted it to feel like a preseason game.

“That’s really what it should feel like. I mean, this should be competitive, they should be hot, and they should be scratching and clawing for everything they’re going to get out there,” Campbell said. “I’d be shocked if it’s not. I mean, these guys are going after it. So who’s going to win the rep and then who’s going to — I mean, you get put in these pressure situations or you get in these moments where, man, you’re fatigued, it’s hot, and, ‘Man, I just went eight reps in a row.'

“Who is going to be able to focus and mentally do their job?”

▶ After struggling in Thursday’s session, kicker Jake Bates had his worst practice of training camp. He started shaky, going 6-for-9 in a long sequence of kicks with makes from 33, 38, 43, 48, 51, and 59 yards and misses from 46, 54 and 64 yards. But then the wheels fell off entirely.

Bates made just one of his final five attempts — and missed an extra point — with his only make coming from 29 yards. His final misses came from 51, 46, 46, and 40 yards.

If kicker Michael Badgley hadn’t tore his hamstring in the early stage of camp, he’d almost certainly be a lock to win the job.

▶ Ennis Rakestraw Jr. continued his ball production with his third interception of the week. Once again, it was a poor throw that put him in position to make the play, but the fact he has wasted very few opportunities to turn the ball over is extremely encouraging. Rakestraw also showed off his instincts when receiver Jalon Calhoun was stopped in his tracks after catching a screen pass.

As a unit, the defensive backs impressed with their blitzing and run-stopping ability. Emmanuel Moseley had a tackle-for-loss of David Montgomery on the first play of the scrimmage and later forced a throw out of the end zone with pressure off a blitz. Second-year corner Steven Gilmore had a sack off the edge.

▶ The linebackers were also playing on the front foot pretty effectively. Jack Campbell and Derrick Barnes stepped up for a run stuff on Montgomery early and Campbell had a sack against the second-team offense. Barnes later teamed up with Aidan Hutchinson for a sack while Mitchell Agude, one of Thursday’s standouts, sacked Nate Sudfeld near the red zone and had a tackle-for-loss on Craig Reynolds.

▶ Whatever production Jahmyr Gibbs has in 2024 won’t be at the expense of Montgomery. As he did last season, Montgomery took a majority of the reps to start each series, and while the run defense was giving the offense fits, Montgomery showed a complete return to the player he showcased last season. The dude runs like a bull.

Reynolds may have started the summer in a good position for one of the final running back spots, but Jermar Jefferson has certainly made it a competition. Following what was arguably Jefferson’s best practice of camp, he broke a 50-yard touchdown run against the first-team defense. He got to the second level and then cut for the edge, beating Brian Branch and making it all the way into the end zone. Reynolds provided some moments, too. He ripped off a handful of chunk plays and was effective on pitches.

▶ The full Hendon Hooker experience was on display, but most notably so during a situation near the end of practice where the offense started on the fringe of the red zone. On consecutive passes, Hooker underthrew a ball to Tom Kennedy on an out route that was picked off — he’s struggled to make this specific throw all camp — and then dropped in a dime to Sione Vaki off a wheel route against perfect coverage from Jalen Reeves-Maybin, which resulted in a touchdown.

▶ Friday’s practice gave every indication that Alim McNeill and Hutchinson mean business this year. Hutchinson had the tandem sack with Barnes, then put such a nasty spin move on second-team offensive tackle Colby Sorsdal that he accidentally crushed Hooker (Kyle Peko was also there for the sack). Hutchinson sacked Jared Goff while also drawing a holding flag on Taylor Decker and then shed a defender to get to Montgomery on a run for no gain.

McNeill’s day was highlighted by beating Penei Sewell to blow up a run play. James Houston recorded three pressures with the second-team defense.

▶ Daurice Fountain did not budge from the first-team offense all week, and he continued the success on Friday. His day was highlighted by a touchdown catch from Goff, the first score of the day, and a 15-yard diving catch over the middle with Terrion Arnold in coverage.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

@nolanbianchi

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Another paywall article from today's News.

'Iron sharpens iron': Stacked Lions roster only helping teammates improve

Nolan Bianchi
                      The Detroit News

Allen Park — The Detroit Lions have one of the most complete rosters in the NFL, with kicker being the only obvious hole on a squad that has Super Bowl aspirations.

Whereas the offense and defense can sometimes trade "wins" in training camp because of one unit is simply having a bad day, the victor in Lions camp has often been the side that is imposing its will on the other.

Coaches and players have mentioned daily how the opposite position groups are giving them the best possible chance to get better before the season.

"I mean, shoot, they all causing me problems. G-- damn. I'm stressing out there," Carlton Davis said.

"It's great competition. I love it. I need to be pushed. I need that competition level, man. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't out there trying to be the best version of myself against those guys. If I wasn't, they would kind of kick my ass. So I'm out there pushing them and they're pushing me. It's been great."

These feelings are playing out all over the field, including from the receivers about the cornerbacks. That hasn't always been the case in seasons past. The Lions had a top-five offense in 2022 and 2023, while the defense simply didn't quite match the domination. The receiving talent in Detroit's offense was far-and-away better than the cornerbacks in last year's camp, even with the infusion of talent from Brian Branch, C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Cam Sutton.

Earlier this week, Lions receiver Jameson Williams said competing against rookie corner Terrion Arnold takes them back to their college days at Alabama: Just two guys getting each other ready for war.

"We go at it every day. One-on-one, team, seven-on-seven, we going at it all day, just trying to make each other better, though. Just how we did in school, we would do the same thing," Williams said. "We were always going against each other. He would call me out. I'm right there, I ain't duckin'. I'm right there. That's how we do it, though. Just get each other better."

The Lions have had an elite offensive line in the years that their offense took off, which has provided some good competition for a budding D-line group over the years. When the season comes, it's hard to imagine they'll find another group as daunting as the one they've lined up across from all summer.

"It's very beneficial," defensive tackle Alim McNeill said. "Those are some great guys over there, great group of guys chemistry-wise. They block well together. And that's one of the best groups in the league — the best group, in my opinion. So it's great to get work against. It just makes everybody better.

"Iron sharpens iron."

Campbell said there's a noticeable difference in all phases of Detroit's defense, which is paying dividends for an offense that could use every competitive snap it can to improve on outstanding performances from the last two seasons.

"With the DBs, man, you feel us challenge, we're challenging on the perimeter and they're covering pretty good down the field, so when you do that, you can't help but get better," Campbell said.

According to the Lions coach, this can also benefit the coordinators.

"It's only going to make you better...from a physical standpoint, but also schematically. You're trying t figure out ways to beat your own defense ... 'How do we scheme this up, how do we do some of this stuff?'" Campbell said.

"So, it forces you to think, it forces you to (think), 'How do I get a leg up on these guys?' ... When you're the head coach, that's what you want. You want this constant chess match going on where you're getting tested and you're trying to find weaknesses in each other because that's how you get better, you just keep doing this as you're raising the bar.

"But I think physically it's going to help those guys, it helps those guys up front. We feel pretty confident about this O-line we've got, but when they get tested the way they're getting tested right now, it's only going to make them better and they can't let off the gas. It's a good place to be in."

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

@nolanbianchi
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Paywall article from today's Freep.

Forget the hype of Detroit Lions' secondary. It's the big fellas' turn now.

Shawn Windsor
                          Detroit Free Press

Hey, we got carried away, alright? Of course the focus was going to be on the secondary. And how the new defensive backs looked.

The Detroit Lions’ pass defense was among the worst in the NFL last season. That’s being kind. Or not. (Is the truth ever unkind?)

In any case, the Lions’ brass saw the same truth you did, drafted two cornerbacks with their first two picks, signed a nickel back, traded for a reasonable facsimile of a shutdown corner, welcomed back another corner coming off injury and shifted last year’s rookie revelation from slot corner to safety.

Who didn’t want to see that when camp began? Or comment on it? Or write about it?

The revamped secondary was the story of the first week of training camp.

Now, though, it’s time to move up front, where the big fellas are the new talk of camp.

That’ll happen when the pads come on, and suddenly the quarterback doesn’t have so much time to throw, and the running backs don’t have so much room to run.

Funny thing, time and space — wind up with a bit less of them, and that pretty little offense ain’t so pretty anymore. Now now, the Lions’ offense is proven and could — should — be even better than it was last season, when it was among the game’s best.

It’s just that the offense isn’t having its way in Allen Park like it has recently, because the big fellas are causing trouble.

Or violence, as Dan Campbell put it. Disruptive was another word he used Wednesday morning. So excited has the Lions head coach been at the sight of all this mauling he’s been giddily talking with defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn about the new vibe in the air.

Yes, vibe.

“I can feel the defense,” he said. “I feel our front. We're in a good place.”

The offensive line can feel it too, literally.

"They all seem to be (standing out)," said center Frank Ragnow, who knows a bit about blocking. "I think the new coach (Terrell Williams) has been great for them and they all seem to be a little bit more twitchy, a little bit more dynamic. I think (it's) playing and less thinking. That's just from what I've seen, but they've all been really impressive."

OK, a caveat: It’s August, barely. The first preseason game is still a week away. Nothing counts for real right now. But patterns are patterns, and if the coaching staff is noticing a difference, and if one of the most formidable offensive lines in the NFL is noticing a difference, then there’s a chance the teams on the schedule this fall will notice a difference, too.

Now that depends on a few things, health chief among them. And that’s a big variable. But if Marcus Davenport, for example, can stay healthy, then he brings the kind of size, speed and strength to the edge opposite Aidan Hutchinson that the defensive front lacked a year ago.

Davenport came from the Vikings. He’s coming off a severe ankle sprain and deltoid tear. He has battled injuries for several seasons. Yet when he’s right, he can go get a quarterback, he can set an edge.

“Silent killer,” is how Alim McNeill described him last week. Someone who enjoys running through people’s faces.

Davenport, not surprisingly, wasn’t too keen to talk about his injury history when he met with reporters Tuesday after practice.

“I’ve got to start having more fun,” he said. “Y’all be stressing me out ... I’ve been stressing myself out. I'm just trying to be more present. If I can be more present, I can breathe.”

And if he can breathe? Well, who doesn’t perform better with a little air?

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound defensive end hadn’t put on pads since early last season. Felt good, he said. Felt just as good, though, to watch so many other defensive linemen make plays, too.

“We’ve got a lot of ballplayers,” he said. “We've got a lot of names that aren’t being said enough, appreciated enough.”

Any name in particular?

“The whole line,” he said.

Ah, a nice, political answer, and who can blame him? He’s one of the newbies. His coach, however, has been here a few years, and hasn’t been shy all summer about the improved play of Levi Onwuzurike.

“This started in the spring,” Campbell said, “we mentioned him, he’s earned it.”

And now, as the calendar approached August?

“It’s clear he’s one of the best,” he said. “He plays with violence, he’s stout, fundamentally better than he’s ever been. Showing he has versatility. He feels good.”

In the past, Campbell said, Onwuzurike lacked confidence because his body wasn’t right. He had back issues.

“That's a hard place to be in,” Campbell said. “Now ... his confidence is going sky high.”

As for the rest of the line?

“All of those guys have grown and gotten better across the board,” he said.

And now they’ve got more guys in Davenport and D.J. Reader, a defensive tackle who slots as the starter, but whose replacements in camp are clearly pushing for playing time as Reader’s quad heals. All of it is tantalizing to Glenn and Campbell — the depth, the versatility (despite the loss of John Cominsky).

No wonder Campbell feels the defensive line in a way he hasn’t during his time in Detroit. He’ll feel it even more if he sees this fall what he is seeing — and feeling — right now. And if he sees what Onwuzurike said he likes to do the night he was drafted in 2021:

“I like to (expletive) people up.”

Based on (very) early returns, the rest of the line does, too.

Contact Shawn Windsor: swindsor@freepress.com. Follow him@shawnwindsor.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Yet another paywall article from today's Freep.

Some subtle signs point to why Detroit Lions are legit Super Bowl contenders

Jeff Seidel
                            Detroit Free Press

Let me tell you a quick story about coach Dan Campbell.

Because it’s one of the reasons why I believe the Detroit Lions will go to the Super Bowl.

The story starts on Thursday morning, as Campbell was putting his team through several interesting situations. Here was one of them: The Lions faced third-and-2 from the 16 with 20 seconds on the clock.

But there was more to the situation. The players were beat up — it was their third contact practice in four days. And it was miserably hot — the sun beating down. Everybody was sweating. Shirts were drenched. Bodies aching. And it brought to mind a moment from 2022's "Hard Knocks," when Campbell explained why he was putting his players into tough, physical, mentally stressful situations.

"I’ve got a plan," Campbell told his team, back then. "I swear to you. All I think about is you guys. That’s all I think about, man. That’s all I (expletive) think about is you guys and how I set you up for the best (expletive) possible, the best possible advantage I can give you to have a season. I swear to you. I just need you to trust me. Please."

This moment on Thursday felt like one of those trust me moments. He was making it hard so they would be ready for the season.

Jared Goff was at quarterback, but the offense failed to pick up a first down and Campbell screamed for a field goal. The field goal unit came onto the field but one of the linemen was slow to leave the field, which messed up the timing.

The field goal was no good — wide right — and Campbell was furious.

His team had failed the test.

He stopped the practice and screamed at his team. While I am not allowed to quote him — directly quoting what coaches say during practice is a no-no — suffice to say, he used colorful language to encourage his players to exhibit more focus, pay more attention to details and to do the little things right. Even on a hot, sweaty day.

Because those little things will separate winning from losing, or a long playoff run from a one-and-done.

Now, it’s not unusual for head coaches to flip out during a training camp practice — I’ve seen it countless times.

But this felt different.

Because of the situation and what it revealed.

At that moment, it would have been easy for Campbell to shrug it off and think: Oh well, it’s just one player making a mental mistake. It’s a hot, miserable, exhausting practice.

It would have been easy to let it go and think: We were a playoff team last year, with almost everybody returning this year. We can do it again.

But he didn’t.

Nope.

He went ballistic.

And it illustrates the standard that he has created.

Fans often judge a coach on clock management or late-game decisions. But that’s only a small part of what makes a successful coach. And in that moment, Campbell showed how he has turned around this organization, as well as the standard being set.

No. Let me rephrase that.

The standard he demands.

How coaches challenge vets

Now, let me tell you another reason why I think this team is going to the Super Bowl.

This coaching staff is clicking.

“This staff — I’m shocked that the staff is put together almost exactly the same as it was a year ago,” offensive coordinator Ben Johnson said. “These guys were at the next level of coaching. (running backs coach) Scottie Montogomery and (tight end coach) Steve Heiden, they’re not having to learn, ‘Hey, what are you ...' no, no, no. They’re taking it and running with it. So, I think from a coaching perspective, we’re better than we’ve ever been.”

Now, that's easy to say. But there is something subtle going on under the surface.

These coaches are obsessed with finding creative ways to teach the youngsters while challenging the veterans.

“Jared Goff needs to be challenged," Johnson said. "(Lions WR Amon-Ra) St. Brown needs to be challenged, because if they just come into the building every single day and they hear the same thing that they heard two years ago, then that gets stale very quickly. So we’ve tried to challenge them while still keeping a good balance of what our identity is to where these young guys can come along, and I think that’s where you see a lot of mistakes popping up, because some of the young guys are still swimming a little bit, and as the installs start to thin out, I think their play speed is going to pick up and they’ll (have) a little bit of more confidence.”

There are so many lessons inside that statement.

It says how this team is making the veterans grow and get better. Refusing to accept the status quo.

And that’s incredibly important.

Praise from the other side

One last reason? It's actually a huge reason.

The Lions' new and improved defense has made things tough on the Lions' offense.

“Yeah, shoot, I think our defensive front’s going to be pretty darn good is what I think," Johnson said. "It’s probably, after two days, we’ve had more run stuff than what we have had in the past few training camps.”

Let that statement sink in. The Lions' offense, which has two tremendous backs and a veteran offensive line filled with talent, is struggling to move the ball.

That's beyond encouraging.

“I think it’s across the board to be completely honest with you," Johnson said. "Upfront, (Lions DE) Aidan (Hutchinson) and (Lions DL) Alim (McNeill) as you would think. Shoot, we tried to double-team Alim the other day, we could barely move him off the ball. He’s got a low center of gravity and did a really nice job on us. The second level, those guys are all coming back."

But the biggest improvement, according to Johnson, has been the secondary.

"Honestly, the biggest adjustment has been these corners," Johnson said. "They’re coming up, they’re pressing us, they’re challenging us, and we need that type of work. The more one-on-ones we can get in practice with the pads on are going to be helpful for our guys releasing vs. press, but these guys are fearless, they have a swagger, and some mistakes that they were making early in camp, we got them on a few deep balls before the pads got on, they’ve cleaned that stuff up, so you see improvement every day from the back end.”

Man, there are just so many things to like about this team right now.

A coach who demands excellence.

A coaching staff that is completely in sync.

Veteran players who are being challenged to get better.

Talented playmakers.

And a vastly improved defense that is making the offense get better.

Everything is set up perfectly — one might say everything is "super," if you catch my drift — and the games can't get here soon enough.

Contact Jeff Seidel: jseidel@freepress.com or follow him @seideljeff.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• The Carlton Davis Q&A was interesting -- but got really fun when Terrion Arnold basically hijacked it and they had a back and forth.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
                                Yet another paywall article from today's Freep.

Some subtle signs point to why Detroit Lions are legit Super Bowl contenders

Jeff Seidel
                                Detroit Free Press

Let me tell you a quick story about coach Dan Campbell.

Because it’s one of the reasons why I believe the Detroit Lions will go to the Super Bowl.

The story starts on Thursday morning, as Campbell was putting his team through several interesting situations. Here was one of them: The Lions faced third-and-2 from the 16 with 20 seconds on the clock.

But there was more to the situation. The players were beat up — it was their third contact practice in four days. And it was miserably hot — the sun beating down. Everybody was sweating. Shirts were drenched. Bodies aching. And it brought to mind a moment from 2022's "Hard Knocks," when Campbell explained why he was putting his players into tough, physical, mentally stressful situations.

"I’ve got a plan," Campbell told his team, back then. "I swear to you. All I think about is you guys. That’s all I think about, man. That’s all I (expletive) think about is you guys and how I set you up for the best (expletive) possible, the best possible advantage I can give you to have a season. I swear to you. I just need you to trust me. Please."

This moment on Thursday felt like one of those trust me moments. He was making it hard so they would be ready for the season.

Jared Goff was at quarterback, but the offense failed to pick up a first down and Campbell screamed for a field goal. The field goal unit came onto the field but one of the linemen was slow to leave the field, which messed up the timing.

The field goal was no good — wide right — and Campbell was furious.

His team had failed the test.

He stopped the practice and screamed at his team. While I am not allowed to quote him — directly quoting what coaches say during practice is a no-no — suffice to say, he used colorful language to encourage his players to exhibit more focus, pay more attention to details and to do the little things right. Even on a hot, sweaty day.

Because those little things will separate winning from losing, or a long playoff run from a one-and-done.

Now, it’s not unusual for head coaches to flip out during a training camp practice — I’ve seen it countless times.

But this felt different.

Because of the situation and what it revealed.

At that moment, it would have been easy for Campbell to shrug it off and think: Oh well, it’s just one player making a mental mistake. It’s a hot, miserable, exhausting practice.

It would have been easy to let it go and think: We were a playoff team last year, with almost everybody returning this year. We can do it again.

But he didn’t.

Nope.

He went ballistic.

And it illustrates the standard that he has created.

Fans often judge a coach on clock management or late-game decisions. But that’s only a small part of what makes a successful coach. And in that moment, Campbell showed how he has turned around this organization, as well as the standard being set.

No. Let me rephrase that.

The standard he demands.

How coaches challenge vets

Now, let me tell you another reason why I think this team is going to the Super Bowl.

This coaching staff is clicking.

“This staff — I’m shocked that the staff is put together almost exactly the same as it was a year ago,” offensive coordinator Ben Johnson said. “These guys were at the next level of coaching. (running backs coach) Scottie Montogomery and (tight end coach) Steve Heiden, they’re not having to learn, ‘Hey, what are you ...' no, no, no. They’re taking it and running with it. So, I think from a coaching perspective, we’re better than we’ve ever been.”

Now, that's easy to say. But there is something subtle going on under the surface.

These coaches are obsessed with finding creative ways to teach the youngsters while challenging the veterans.

“Jared Goff needs to be challenged," Johnson said. "(Lions WR Amon-Ra) St. Brown needs to be challenged, because if they just come into the building every single day and they hear the same thing that they heard two years ago, then that gets stale very quickly. So we’ve tried to challenge them while still keeping a good balance of what our identity is to where these young guys can come along, and I think that’s where you see a lot of mistakes popping up, because some of the young guys are still swimming a little bit, and as the installs start to thin out, I think their play speed is going to pick up and they’ll (have) a little bit of more confidence.”

There are so many lessons inside that statement.

It says how this team is making the veterans grow and get better. Refusing to accept the status quo.

And that’s incredibly important.

Praise from the other side

One last reason? It's actually a huge reason.

The Lions' new and improved defense has made things tough on the Lions' offense.

“Yeah, shoot, I think our defensive front’s going to be pretty darn good is what I think," Johnson said. "It’s probably, after two days, we’ve had more run stuff than what we have had in the past few training camps.”

Let that statement sink in. The Lions' offense, which has two tremendous backs and a veteran offensive line filled with talent, is struggling to move the ball.

That's beyond encouraging.

“I think it’s across the board to be completely honest with you," Johnson said. "Upfront, (Lions DE) Aidan (Hutchinson) and (Lions DL) Alim (McNeill) as you would think. Shoot, we tried to double-team Alim the other day, we could barely move him off the ball. He’s got a low center of gravity and did a really nice job on us. The second level, those guys are all coming back."

But the biggest improvement, according to Johnson, has been the secondary.

"Honestly, the biggest adjustment has been these corners," Johnson said. "They’re coming up, they’re pressing us, they’re challenging us, and we need that type of work. The more one-on-ones we can get in practice with the pads on are going to be helpful for our guys releasing vs. press, but these guys are fearless, they have a swagger, and some mistakes that they were making early in camp, we got them on a few deep balls before the pads got on, they’ve cleaned that stuff up, so you see improvement every day from the back end.”

Man, there are just so many things to like about this team right now.

A coach who demands excellence.

A coaching staff that is completely in sync.

Veteran players who are being challenged to get better.

Talented playmakers.

And a vastly improved defense that is making the offense get better.

Everything is set up perfectly — one might say everything is "super," if you catch my drift — and the games can't get here soon enough.

Contact Jeff Seidel: jseidel@freepress.com or follow him @seideljeff.

Was it Bates who missed from the friggen 16?
                                "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                                Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Working...
                                X