No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paywall article from the Freep concerning the new uniforms and Dan Campbell.

How Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell helped bring black jerseys back

Dave Birkett
    Detroit Free Press

Black is back, and Dan Campbell helped make it happen.

The Detroit Lions unveiled their new uniform combinations at a season ticket holder event Thursday at Ford Field, making subtle changes to the jerseys they last updated in 2017 and adding a black alternate jersey — at Campbell’s request — for the first time in nearly two decades.

The Lions will have four jerseys for the 2024 season: An updated white home jersey with blue block lettering and blue and silver stripes on the sleeves; a “redefined” Honolulu blue road jersey with white numbers and silver and white stripes on the sleeve; a new black jersey with blue numbers and blue and silver stripes; and their traditional plain blue and silver throwback jerseys.

All three new jerseys can be worn with multiple pant combinations and have an inside blue collar to symbolize Detroit’s blue-collar ethos and a second inscribed ode to the city. The city’s area code, “313,” is written on the inside collar of the white jerseys, “Motor City” is on the inside collar of the black jerseys and the team’s “One Pride” slogan is inside the blue jerseys.

“I think they’re sweet,” tight end Brock Wright said this week. “I’m excited.”

Lions president Rod Wood said Campbell, who played for the Lions in 2006-08, suggested bringing back black alternate jerseys three years ago near the end of his first set of draft meetings as head coach.

The Lions first introduced a black alternate jersey in 2005 that featured Honolulu blue numbers with silver and white trim. The jerseys lasted just three seasons, and the Lions removed black as an accent from their color scheme in 2017.

“So we’re in the draft room, literally months into his tenure and he wore the black when he was here and we’re in the draft room, he said, ‘Hey Rod, when can we get the black jerseys back?’” Wood said. “And I said, ‘I’ll make a deal. When you win the division, I’ll bring the black jerseys back.’ And so I went out on a limb and thankfully he delivered. That’s a true story.”

The Lions won their first division title in 30 years last season, going 12-5 and reaching the NFC championship.

The team started the design process more than two years ago, and Wood said he was aware the black uniforms conjure up “a little (negative) history."

Former Lions president Matt Millen introduced the black jerseys in 2005, in an era that was associated with some of the losingest teams in Lions history.

“I’m well aware of it, but we’re a new team, new leadership, new players and I think the past is the past,” Wood said. “I think it reminded (fans) of a time they want to forget, but hopefully this is a time they always want to remember.”

Asked why Campbell favored bringing back black jerseys, Wood said, “He loved them cause when he was here he wore them and I think it was kind of the team’s favorite at the time.”

“He just kind of pined for it again,” Wood said. “For him it’s a throwback cause it was when he was a player. And I think they’ve dressed up even better than when he was here with the pants combos. It’s a better look than the silver pants we wore at the time.”

The Lions will decide which jerseys to wear in which games after the schedule release next month, but the black jerseys will be paired either with a black pant or the team’s blue pants.

Both the blue and white jerseys can be worn with silver, blue or white pants. The white jerseys have the word “Detroit” across the chest, and all game-worn jerseys will have an inside label that Wood compared to a suit label that honors former Lions owner William Clay Ford.

The Lions removed the “WCF” lettering on the sleeves of last year’s jerseys and will wear a permanent logo on their helmets.

“We wanted to keep something special for Mr. Ford,” Wood said. “It’ll be a very elegant, like I said suit label with his signature on it and it’s just kind of a nod to the current players to remember who was important to bringing the team to where it is now and put the logo on the back of the helmet for those that are going to see it, but I think the players will have a special kind of reminder of the family and Mr. Ford in particular.”

The Lions updated their alternate blue helmet with their current logo, but will not have a third helmet in 2024, something the NFL is allowing teams this year for the first time.

“We were probably too late in the process and it really didn’t fit with what we were rolling out,” Wood said. “Maybe next year we’ll add something and have a little twist on something, but right now there was a lot going on so we did what we did and we’ll deal with the third helmet next year.”

Lions players Kerby Joseph, Alim McNeill and Sam LaPorta helped unveil the uniforms at Thursday's event in front of more than 5,000 fans.

Joseph said the uniforms were a hit with players.

"I love the new uniforms, especially the all black ones," he said. "Honestly, blue is my favorite color but I feel like this blue is unique. I think it's really something about the richness of it, like it really pops. So I know when we go out there on the field it'll really pop and really stick out."

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on X and Instagram at @davebirkett.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Paywall article from yesterday's News.

Wojo: Brad Holmes just might turn Lions’ draft into a surprise party

Bob Wojnowski
      The Detroit News

Allen Park — Brad Holmes wants to get this out of the way, just in case: He’s sorry.

Sorry for what he might do, or might not do, with the Lions’ first pick in the draft next Thursday night in front of a couple hundred thousand rabid fans in downtown Detroit. Sorry if he trades out of the first round, disappointing those who waited all night to greet the pick at No. 29, and sorry if he trades up and makes an unpopular selection.

He’s sorry, but not sorry. Can’t afford to be.

The Lions stopped worrying about public-relations optics pretty much the moment Holmes and Dan Campbell arrived three years ago. They went 12-5 plus two playoff victories and an NFC championship game appearance last season for a multitude of reasons. One reason: Holmes trusts his plan, his scouts and his own instincts, and doesn’t care what conventional wisdom or mock drafts say.

After three excellent drafts by Holmes, I have a feeling that fans, media, NFL peers, and maybe even certified draft mockologists will measure their reactions carefully. No verdict will be immediately rendered and no apology will be requested. Holmes already has proven he’ll try everything and be ready for anything, so whether trading up or down or staying at 29, he won’t worry about the national TV audience or the throngs at Campus Martius.

“I’m so excited about the draft being in Detroit,” Holmes said Thursday. “I know the perfect storm is, OK, get to the stage area, they’ve been waiting all night, make the pick and everybody’s happy. … But say we get an offer that we can’t really turn down and it makes sense. We’ve got to do the right thing and hopefully our fans will forgive us. I’ll just do a PSA public apology later and we’ll roll.”

This counts as his public-service announcement, although if the pattern continues, it won’t be necessary. The Lions made unconventional moves each of the past three drafts, and how has that worked out? Considering they’ve risen from perennial also-rans to the brink of the Super Bowl, I’d say just fine.

Feeling the draft

This is where Holmes and the Lions do their best work, which allows them to avoid massive free-agent contracts. That bothers some people, who want immediate help for a team smack in the middle of its Super Bowl window.

Well, two things. Holmes doesn’t do windows, as he reiterated Thursday when he said he doesn’t base decisions on perceived “windows” of contention. And second thing, the Lions have gotten as much immediate impact from the draft as any team in the league.

Twenty-two of their 23 picks since 2021 are on the roster, many in huge roles. It’s not just the obvious ones either, like Aidan Hutchinson and Penei Sewell, who have made the Pro Bowl. So have three others, including Amon-Ra St. Brown and last year’s breakout rookies, running back Jahmyr Gibbs and tight end Sam LaPorta.

Holmes repeatedly emphasizes he drafts for talent and signs free agents for need. When you’re 5-11, as the Lions were when Holmes arrived, you can find a need at every position. When you’re 22-7 the past season-and-a-half, including 2-1 in the playoffs, fewer holes must be filled.

I asked Holmes if his draft strategy has changed since the roster has improved. If I interpreted his answer correctly, it was something like — no, sorry not sorry.

“When we first got here, we had a ton of needs, so we could go for the most talented guy, the guy that really fit the most,” Holmes said. “We could have gone in so many different directions, and that resulted in a lot of young players having to play early and get a lot of experience. With where the roster is now, I actually think you have even more flexibility to not be anchored into a need. … We feel we did a great job in free agency and we’re in a position to go whichever direction we want. We’ve always said ‘best player,’ but it’s more emphasized now.”

Listening to the 'lone wolf'

It’s been evident in his picks that appear controversial at first, until you recognize their unique skill. Remember last spring, when no one could believe the Lions grabbed Gibbs at No. 12, higher than projected? Or that he took linebacker Jack Campbell at 18? Or that he selected LaPorta early in the second round despite gnawing needs on defense? LaPorta merely set an NFL record for receptions by a rookie tight end with 82.

Holmes offered a glimpse into the strategy with an interesting tidbit Thursday about the occasional “lone wolf” in the team’s draft room. He gravitates toward that lone scout or coach who’s strong enough in his convictions to defy the room consensus. He said on one particular pick last year, Holmes and Campbell turned out to be the lone-wolf guys, while others wanted a different player at the same position.

Holmes said his and Campbell’s opinions prevailed, but wouldn’t give specifics. I’m guessing he wanted LaPorta, while others perhaps eyed Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer, who went to the Raiders with the next pick.

“People naturally just want to be a part of the tribe, they want to agree and be likeable,” Holmes said. “It takes work to go against the grain. That’s why I have always had a lot of respect for the lone wolf.”

No strategy is infallible, and Holmes has missed on a few, such as oft-injured defensive end Levi Onwuzurike in the second round in 2021. The lone wolf isn’t always right, but you can bet he’ll be heard.

This year, the Lions need a cornerback and an edge rusher more than anything, and also an offensive lineman to reinforce the team’s strength. Their recent history suggests they’ll trade up. Or perhaps trade down. Sorry, but Holmes has alternated the tactic effectively.

He traded down from No. 6 to 12 last year and got the dynamic back he wanted all along, Gibbs. In 2022, he traded up to 12 to land receiver Jameson Williams. It wasn’t necessarily a need, and Williams’ knee injury at Alabama delayed his impact. But late last season, we began to see the elite speed that could make him a game-breaker.

Most mock drafts have the Lions taking a cornerback or offensive lineman in the first round, which makes sense. Landing a cornerback is vital, but Holmes has expressed his conviction that a winning team is built through the draft and the offensive line. Whatever he does, Holmes promises he won’t feel pressure from Camp Consensus, or Campus Martius. And there’s a little leeway picking at 29 instead of, say, 2, isn’t there?

“I don’t want to say it’s any less pressure because you’ve got to get every single pick right,” Holmes said. “At least that’s the standard we hold ourselves to whether it’s at 29, or seven or six or two.”

With the team so close to the top, everyone craves the next step, and it starts with the next pick. Whoever it is, and whenever it happens, it’s safe to say Holmes will make it for sound reasons, not loud reasons.

bob.wojnowski@detroitnews.com

@bobwojnowski

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• I love the home unis. Return to more of a classic Honolulu Blue, the blue face mask, the improved font(es) - I dig it all. I don’t understand the need to muddy up the front of the road whites with the “Lions” text above the number. The black gives me PTSD, but whatever. That freaking helmet, though…what the hell is that? I have intense dislike for that blue helmet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
          So they just slapped WCF on the helmet? Wood was making it sound like they did something creative and totally new.
          That’s what I was thinking
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I love all the uniforms. Those calling for the 90’s version were absolutely right. They look f’ing awesome.

I’ve always been down for them bring the black uniforms back and I’m glad they did. I like the helmets with them as well but I love the blue ones from last year, I think they’d look better with that metallic blue. Those are sweet.

All in all it’s a huge thumbs up. I’ll prob buy the blue ones for sure
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by NewOrleansLion View Post
              I don’t understand the need to muddy up the front of the road whites with the “Lions” text above the number..
              “Detroit” on the whites and “Lions” on the blacks, but agreed it just sort of muddies it up. Keep it clean.

Also don’t understand the point of hanging One Pride and Motot City inside the collar either.

Mostly nitpicks though, they kept it pretty simple and classic otherwise, which is good.

Comment

“Detroit” on the whites and “Lions” on the blacks, but agreed it just sort of muddies it up. Keep it clean.

Also don’t understand the point of hanging One Pride and Motot City inside the collar either.

Mostly nitpicks though, they kept it pretty simple and classic otherwise, which is good.
                There’s also a WCF signature stitched inside the jersey for the chef’s kiss.
                3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• I like them. Pretty clean and simple, but I do agree that the “Lions” and “Detroit” being on the away and alternates in that larger font seems unnecessary. But, again, I like them overall. You can tell the players love them. The black ones on a prime time night game will be awesome.

Apparently they could have rolled out a third alternate helmet this year, but Rod Wood said they felt like they had enough going on this year with the updated uniforms and alternates, so they’ll probably roll that out next season. I think a white helmet with a blue logo could look cool with the white aways.
                  Last edited by BJK; April 19, 2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                    My friend Ken L

Comment

So they just slapped WCF on the helmet? Wood was making it sound like they did something creative and totally new.
                      Typical corporate Pablum.
                      ​​
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I wanted it on an ass cheek

Comment

• The black uni's gotta go, ugly and Matt Millen tried this and failed with better looking uni's.
                          Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                            I wanted it on an ass cheek
                            HA! That seems fitting
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
                              Paywall article from yesterday's News.

Wojo: Brad Holmes just might turn Lions’ draft into a surprise party

Bob Wojnowski
                              The Detroit News

Allen Park — Brad Holmes wants to get this out of the way, just in case: He’s sorry.

Sorry for what he might do, or might not do, with the Lions’ first pick in the draft next Thursday night in front of a couple hundred thousand rabid fans in downtown Detroit. Sorry if he trades out of the first round, disappointing those who waited all night to greet the pick at No. 29, and sorry if he trades up and makes an unpopular selection.

Oh man that's hilarious that they addressed this in the media. I will say that this is the one year of living overseas that I'm super stoked about the draft time. Normally I have to set my alarm to wake up at 2-3am for our pick. Now I can wake up normally at 6-7am and it'll be just in time for the Lions pick (or the trade)
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Black....blue....iridescent vermilion...just please get that WCF off the damn equipment. Also call all (M)edium sizes, (L)arge. Just in case the universe sees the M and thinks Millen.
                                Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                                X