Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Campbell saying that bothered me too. Sounds fatalistic.
    You've seen game threads. Every 3rd down is fatalistic around here.

Comment

• Campbell has talked about it before, his second year in the league he went to the Superbowl and lost. He was a young player and he thought he would be there multiple times. He never really got back, his last year he was on the Saints IR all season when they won.

It wasn't fatalistic, it was realistic and I'm sure his talk with the players was to drive home the point that nothing is promised and they are going to have to work even harder to win next year. We hope they become the next Patriots or Chiefs but that's extremely hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        You need like a 24 hour rule or one week rule. Emotions are raw at the end of a season.
        Exactly
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
          Hutch said they might be doing an anti-super bowl party because he’s not sure he can stand to watch it.
          Me as well. There’s no way I can even give a f about this years. We should have been there
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Long time Chief fan as of about 10 days ago. Let's goooooooooo!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Me as well. There’s no way I can even give a f about this years. We should have been there
              I will watch the game, but for the first time I have no interest in seeing any of the Superbowl week bullshit. I don't like most of the hype, but I usually enjoy listening to The Dan Patrick Show during this week. This year? I just have no interest.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I will watch it. In fact will make sure I am up a couple hours earlier to make stuff up for my folks and me. Haven't decided but for sure this will be on the menu.

Cheeseburgers
                Chips
                Popcorn
                Salads

Maybe a raw veggie tray....maybe some grilled cheese?

Desert will be SF floats using Diet Faygo Orange Pop.
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  You need like a 24 hour rule or one week rule. Emotions are raw at the end of a season.
                  Florio’s takes aren’t that nuanced.
                  3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                  10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                    My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Paywall article.

Nate Burleson: Detroit Lions 'exorcised some of the demons' that have haunted them for years

Dave Birkett
                        Detroit Free Press

LAS VEGAS — For his first Super Bowl broadcast, Nate Burleson thought for sure he was going to be joined by his old team.

Burleson, the former Detroit Lions wide receiver, will wear a number of hats for CBS during Sunday's Super Bowl 58 between the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs.

He'll analyze the game in his regular role on the pregame show. He'll host an alternate broadcast of the game on the children-themed station Nickelodeon, which is owned by CBS parent company Paramount. He'll talk about the game again Monday on "CBS Mornings."

And had the Lions beaten the 49ers in the NFC championship game, Burleson said he would have been doing it all through Honolulu-blue colored glasses.

"My heart was racing thinking about the idea of me having the Super Bowl with the Detroit Lions playing in it," Burleson told the Free Press earlier this week. "I knew if that happened, I was going to have to add a few more responsibilities cause I’m a homer all the way. I’m working for the Lions at that point. I almost — I almost called and tried to get on the roster so I can get a ring."

Burleson, who played four seasons for the Lions in 2010-13, is one of several alums of the team who said this week they felt a sense of pride watching the Lions win their first two playoff games since 1991 and reach the NFC championship game for the second time in franchise history.

The Lions lost to the 49ers, 34-31, one win short of the Super Bowl.

"This is a great young team and organization and hats off to Coach (Dan) Campbell and Brad Holmes, what they’ve been able to do, and Sheila (Hamp)," Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders said. "And now I think you kind of have a little bit of a blueprint what it takes. It’s not an accident that you see a lot of these teams playing in this game, a lot of the franchises. So I think we’re learning that."

"We weren’t able to do it when we were there, but for me I look at it as we laid the foundation," former Lions linebacker Tahir Whitehead said. "We showed what it could be when you really get that time to put something together and they have something. What Campbell’s done with the guys and with the team, it’s commendable."

Burleson said this season was the next step in one day reaching a Super Bowl for the Lions, who have improved from 3-13-1 to 9-8 to 12-5 in three seasons under Campbell.

This year, the Lions won a division title for the first time since 1993 and led the 49ers, 24-7, before stumbling in the second half of the conference title game.

"I think this is, it’s an important stage to be here and if they can build on this, I think the Lions are going to be just fine," Burleson said. "I mean, the division is theirs."

While the Green Bay Packers with Jordan Love at quarterback, the Chicago Bears with the No. 1 overall pick and the Minnesota Vikings, if Kirk Cousins returns, might have something to say about that, Burleson said he considers this season a success for a team that made one playoff appearance and went a combined 27-37 in his four years in Detroit.

"Detroit Lions had one hell of a year," Burleson said. "People are talking about the Lions and they’re saying, 'Oh, what a disappointment.' I don’t see it that way. Such a good season, everything that Dan Campbell is trying to do to help turn this program around, it worked. I think if you look at it optimistically, they exorcised some of the demons that we’ve been trying to for decades now, or the team was dominant. There were moments where they were the best team in football."

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• I mean... it was both a hell of a season and a disappointment.

They were a little fortunate that they got as far as they did with the sort of talent holes they had (if you were to say to the random NFL expert that a defense with one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL and one of the worst coverage ratings in the NFL would be 3 points from a Super Bowl, they would have laughed at you), and frankly the "Lions blew it" narrative is overdone (they really lost to the more complete and talented team than any bad breaks)... that they did get as close as they did and were 30 minutes from the Super Bowl does kinda create a pit in our stomachs.

The two sentiments really don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Comment

• "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                                I mean... it was both a hell of a season and a disappointment.

They were a little fortunate that they got as far as they did with the sort of talent holes they had (if you were to say to the random NFL expert that a defense with one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL and one of the worst coverage ratings in the NFL would be 3 points from a Super Bowl, they would have laughed at you), and frankly the "Lions blew it" narrative is overdone (they really lost to the more complete and talented team than any bad breaks)... that they did get as close as they did and were 30 minutes from the Super Bowl does kinda create a pit in our stomachs.

The two sentiments really don't have to be mutually exclusive.
                                Agreed 100%. After the 9-8 strong finish I think we all thought we were a year away. It hurts that we didn't sneak in a year early but MCDC et al have us right on schedule. If, before the season, you told me we'd lose the conference championship in heartbreaking fashion, I know I would've taken that in a heartbeat and I think we all would've because at that point we were the SOL.
                                "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                                Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Working...
                                X