No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like CJGJ isn’t happy about his rotational role. Sounds like he worked his ass off to get back and wants more. I hope he plays so well they have to give him his spot back. Not sure what he’s wanting with how well Iffy has played
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I maintain, if anyone should be getting told to sit, it'd be Joseph. Dude has been nearly the entire ass in coverage this year.
      Last edited by chemiclord; January 6, 2024, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
        Sounds like CJGJ isn’t happy about his rotational role. Sounds like he worked his ass off to get back and wants more. I hope he plays so well they have to give him his spot back. Not sure what he’s wanting with how well Iffy has played
        I always thought iffy should've stayed at corner ... but he's been great at safety lately. The only solution to get the best players on the field the most ... well they're not shifting iffy back to corner I guess
        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• The problem is CJ, Iffy and Branch are effective in a similar role. Their big splash plays are close to the LOS as a box safety/pseudo LB. None of them are the single high free safety that Joseph is. The closest is Iffy and he filled in for Joseph but he probably isn't as good. He was most culpable on the Fields TD pass in Chicago getting caught flat footed.

As far as CJ, you should want everyone to want to get more snaps and it's admirable that he worked hard to get back. But STFU, they are easing you in. Iffy has been one of the best defenders in the last month. That guy worked his ass off when he was on the bubble. He ain't going back to bench after playing like that. And Branch was out playing CJ n training camp pushing him out of the nickle position.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post

I always thought iffy should've stayed at corner ... but he's been great at safety lately. The only solution to get the best players on the field the most ... well they're not shifting iffy back to corner I guess
            The logical solution is more dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              The problem is CJ, Iffy and Branch are effective in a similar role. Their big splash plays are close to the LOS as a box safety/pseudo LB. None of them are the single high free safety that Joseph is. The closest is Iffy and he filled in for Joseph but he probably isn't as good. He was most culpable on the Fields TD pass in Chicago getting caught flat footed.

As far as CJ, you should want everyone to want to get more snaps and it's admirable that he worked hard to get back. But STFU, they are easing you in. Iffy has been one of the best defenders in the last month. That guy worked his ass off when he was on the bubble. He ain't going back to bench after playing like that. And Branch was out playing CJ n training camp pushing him out of the nickle position.

Man I wish Joseph would get his game back. He was so perfect last year but again that’s when Hutch had someone opposite him beating up the other teams QB. Someone has to emerge from those DE.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Joseph has been a lot better this last month, I don't have access to weekly grades but his PFF average has climbed from around 51 to 58.

Comment

• Must be why the Leos jumped up a couple in your power rankings?
                  Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• The Lions have been pretty stable in my power rankings($). The Rams are going up the rankings with a bullet.

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            The problem is CJ, Iffy and Branch are effective in a similar role. Their big splash plays are close to the LOS as a box safety/pseudo LB. None of them are the single high free safety that Joseph is. The closest is Iffy and he filled in for Joseph but he probably isn't as good. He was most culpable on the Fields TD pass in Chicago getting caught flat footed.

I think it kinda took the Lions (and most of us) by surprise just how good Branch was so quickly. I think they kinda envisioned him taking on Will Harris's role as a flex nickel/safety watching and learning... then astonishment as he just outright beat out arguably one of the best nickle corners in the league right out of camp. And it wasn't like CJGJ was dogging it or anything from what I've heard, Branch was simply better.

So Deuce gets bumped to safety, and it seemed he was fine with that... only now he's coming back just as Iffy started blowing up. So now he feels squeezed out again, and he's bristling at that. So I get it, especially since as it stands right now, a 100% CJGJ is probably a better player than a 100% Iffy. But the big question for me, is CJGJ really 100%? It doesn't seem like the Lions are convinced of that.

Comment

• Lions’ defense starts to find its groove, with reinforcements on the way

By Colton Pouncy
                              Jan 6, 2024

Lost in the aftermath of Saturday night’s drama was a strong defensive effort by the Detroit Lions, one that should give them confidence heading into the postseason.

The Lions (11-5) held a Dallas offense averaging nearly 40 points a game at home this season to just 20. They got off the field when they needed to, forced two turnovers, recorded three sacks and held the Cowboys’ rushing offense to 61 yards on 21 attempts. A performance like that — against that offense, in that building — is nothing to gloss over.

“The guys played hard, fought to the end,” coach Dan Campbell said after the 20-19 loss. “We knew it was going to come down to the wire, but I thought our defense played really well today.”

Don’t look now, but the Lions’ defense is starting to put it together. The last three weeks, the Lions are first in average time to sack (2.62 seconds), tied for second in takeaways (seven), third in QB hits (25), tied for fourth in defensive splash plays (77), sixth in goal-to-go efficiency (57.1 percent), eighth in pressure rate (40.5 percent), tied for ninth in sacks (9.0) and 12th in points per game (20.3), per TruMedia. This is far from a perfect unit, but the defense has managed to pick itself off the mat — right before the playoffs.

And help is on the way.

Let’s take a look at the reinforcements set to return, and how they can add to a defense that’s starting to find its groove.

Defensive tackle Alim McNeill

When the year began, McNeill had his sights set on a career season.

He cut weight. He changed his diet. He was lighter on his feet, moving faster. He looked like a different player. The goal was to position himself to grow with a roster that hoped to clinch a division title and make noise in the playoffs.

McNeill accomplished all of that and more, despite a knee injury that has sidelined him the last month. But now, just a week before the playoffs begin, McNeill will come off injured reserve and play Sunday in the regular-season finale against the Minnesota Vikings.

Before going down, McNeill was having one of the better seasons by a defensive tackle. McNeill’s run defense grade of 77.9 ranks fifth among all defensive tackles, per Pro Football Focus. He was on pace for roughly 47 pressures, which, to put into context, would’ve ranked 10th among defensive tackles a year ago. He’s taken a step forward in both aspects of his responsibilities, leading to an all-around game and a breakout year.

Getting a player of his caliber back only strengthens Detroit’s defense ahead of the playoffs.

C.J. Gardner-Johnson is back.jpg

DB C.J. Gardner-Johnson

When the Lions signed Gardner-Johnson, he was viewed as one of the final pieces to the puzzle for a defensive turnaround. He had familiarity with Aaron Glenn’s defense, was a proven winner coming off a Super Bowl appearance and could help instill confidence in a young secondary.

Then, he was gone by Week 2, out with a torn pectoral muscle.

The Lions have managed without him, but they’re better with him in the mix. Gardner-Johnson tied for the NFL lead in interceptions a year ago with the Philadelphia Eagles. When we talk about splash plays, Gardner-Johnson is plenty capable of providing them. He’s also a willing tackler and pairs preparation with strong natural instincts. That’s never a bad piece to add to a playoff roster. However, the Lions might have to get creative here.

Kerby Joseph — the second-year ballhawk — has had a bit of an up-and-down season. But when he’s right, he can bait quarterbacks into throws they think are open, only to use his closing speed to pick off passes and create turnovers. He’s started every game he’s been healthy for and is up to four interceptions this season, which leads the Lions.

Brian Branch has been excellent as a rookie defensive back playing nickel. That’s the spot most assumed Gardner-Johnson would play, considering he starred there when Glenn coached defensive backs with the New Orleans Saints, but Branch forced the staff’s hand and emerged as a starter as a rookie. He’s been an impactful player for this defense.

Then there’s Ifeatu Melifonwu. The third-year defensive back has been an integral part of the defense in recent weeks. He’s made a difference in pass coverage and as a pass-rusher. The Lions love to move him around the field, and he’s versatile enough to impact the game in more ways than one. They finally believe he has a firm grasp of the defense and the ways in which they’d like to use him.

The Lions have four starting-caliber players at the nickel/safety position, but only three can start. They’re looking at a rotation, and it’s something they’re working with Gardner-Johnson to accept.

“I don’t wanna seem like I’m selfish or an a–hole, but, I ain’t get back early to be able in a rotation,” Gardner-Johnson said in the locker room Friday.

“Look, (Gardner-Johnson is) a pro at the end of the day,” Campbell said. “He wants to play. He wants to be a part of it and doesn’t mean that he has to like it, but he’s going to go out there and when he’s on the field, he’s going to give what he’s got. And that’s the most important thing. So, I think as long as we’re all open and direct with each other and they know where we’re coming from and we know where they’re coming from, you don’t have to like it, but you respect it.”

Pass rusher James Houston

The offensive line told coaches that Houston was ready around midseason last year, after making their lives hell on the practice squad. Each week, he gained more and more trust, until the Lions felt comfortable unleashing him. He rewarded them with remarkable production down the stretch.

The Lions would love nothing more than a similar impact, as the postseason — and Houston’s return from a fractured ankle — approaches.

“My job is to go out there and get sacks,” Houston said toward the end of last season. “That’s what I do.”

From Weeks 1-11 last year, the Lions ranked 27th in sacks with just 17. Enter Houston. When he made his Week 12 debut, Detroit’s pass rush changed. From that point on, the Lions ranked third in the NFL in sacks with 22. Houston was responsible for eight of those. His win rate of 19.3 ranked ninth among all edges, per PFF.

When we talk about speed rushers and how the Lions desperately need one, this is the vision. Houston takes on a chip by the running back, has the athleticism and bend to take care of the tackle in short order and, as seen in the video above, the strength to finish the job against Josh Allen — no small task. Aidan Hutchinson is the only player on the roster capable of doing this. And Houston might be more of a natural at it.

The question will be how the Lions use Houston, and how effective he’ll be when he returns. It’s unclear if he’ll be 100 percent, and it’s looking like his first game back would be the wild-card round at the earliest. It sounds like the Lions are tempering expectations, not knowing if he’ll be able to produce at a level that will get him regular snaps. Houston himself said he just wants to help in any way he can. If he continues to progress in the next week or so, there’s a chance he could play and provide a boost, much like others working their way back.

There’s a bit of a balancing act, though.

“When Mac comes back, when Houston comes back, when (Gardner-Johnson) comes back, all those guys, the thing is that you want to make sure that you don’t go too crazy to where guys end up having issues remembering, memorizing,” Glenn said. “You want to be more concept-based. But we do a really good job defensively to make sure that happens.”

If the Lions can push the right buttons with their group of reinforcements, their defense might just be ready for the postseason.

Colton Pouncy is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Detroit Lions. He previously covered Michigan State football and basketball for the company, and covered sports for The Tennessean in Nashville prior to joining The Athletic. Follow Colton on Twitter @colton_pouncy

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Are they saying Houston will have 8 sacks in the first game? Sign me up
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X