• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
      Someone called into 97.1 this afternoon and made an interesting and understandable case -- he did NOT want the #1 seed because he wanted the Lions to start the playoffs with an easier game at home and finally win a playoff game. This was a younger fan who had never seen the Lions win a playoff game before.

Honestly, I can't blame him. But to me, I still want that #1 seed because not only would the team get a week to heal up, but the first playoff game would likely be against the Cowboys at home. Cowboys on the road really aren't much better than the other playoff teams.

It got me to thinking -- I'm with Chemic in that the season is not a full success unless the Lions win a playoff game. BUT, now I'm willing to make the exception that if the Lions earn the #1 seed but lose that first game, I'd still consider that a full success. That's because it probably means that we had to earn the #1 seed by winning our upcoming game against Dallas on the road, which is really like winning a playoff game.
      The #1 seed would make it to the second round, which ya know... I'm fine with saying that would count as a playoff win. Sure!

But for what it's worth, I think winning the division is a solid and successful step forward for this team. Being a contender or winner in the division is where you want a team to be in Year 3 coming from the basement (if anything, they're a bit ahead of schedule being right in the thick of the 1-seed).

It's the "Same Ol' Lions" narrative that can only die with a playoff win. There have been "good" teams in Detroit before. And it really hasn't helped them when it is one-and-done.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

The #1 seed would make it to the second round, which ya know... I'm fine with saying that would count as a playoff win. Sure!

But for what it's worth, I think winning the division is a solid and successful step forward for this team. Being a contender or winner in the division is where you want a team to be in Year 3 coming from the basement (if anything, they're a bit ahead of schedule being right in the thick of the 1-seed).

It's the "Same Ol' Lions" narrative that can only die with a playoff win. There have been "good" teams in Detroit before. And it really hasn't helped them when it is one-and-done.
        I call bullshit.

For you fuckers SOL will never die.

There are people on this board that can't wait for the Lions to lose so they can proclaim, SOL!

And...who the fuck are you to determine when they are not SOL?

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

I call bullshit.

For you fuckers SOL will never die.

There are people on this board that can't wait for the Lions to lose so they can proclaim, SOL!

And...who the fuck are you to determine when they are not SOL?
          WOW. Speaking of bullshit, NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, wants to smell the rotten stink of SOL ever again. That said, if you don't like his OPINION of what does or does not constitute SOL you really won't like mine!

Your OPINION does not determine when they are not SOL either. As a long time poster on this forum and its predecessors and a long time Lions' fan you should know better.

Apathetic No More.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsred View Post

WOW. Speaking of bullshit, NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, wants to smell the rotten stink of SOL ever again. That said, if you don't like his OPINION of what does or does not constitute SOL you really won't like mine!

Your OPINION does not determine when they are not SOL either. As a long time poster on this forum and its predecessors and a long time Lions' fan you should know better.
            I am not the judge of when SOL should die neither is he. I guess that is up to each fan, but I think the SOL cry is very much akin to "You're not a true fan"

You don't think that there are people on this board are, if only subconsciously, waiting for the Lions to lose so they can feel justified in their doubt and proclaim, "Same Ol' Lions?

All you gotta do is read the comments. It's all there.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Well, that's a consequence of 60 years of coming up short in so many different and inventive ways.

"Same Ol' Lions" has come to mean different things to different people, and it's really more a coping mechanism than anything. I can promise you the team that actually does the shit on the field doesn't give a fuck.

Comment

• I’m the judge of when SOL is dead. I’ll let you guys know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                  I’m the judge of when SOL is dead. I’ll let you guys know.

I knew it!
                  Apathetic No More.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

I am not the judge of when SOL should die neither is he. I guess that is up to each fan, but I think the SOL cry is very much akin to "You're not a true fan"

You don't think that there are people on this board are, if only subconsciously, waiting for the Lions to lose so they can feel justified in their doubt and proclaim, "Same Ol' Lions?

All you gotta do is read the comments. It's all there.
                    Ready? IMO, killing SOL once and for all isn't something that can or will be done with one successful season. We've seen the up/down/up/down movie before. Making the playoffs and winning a playoff game or 2 in consecutive years would go a long way.
                    Apathetic No More.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsred View Post

Ready? IMO, killing SOL once and for all isn't something that can or will be done with one successful season. We've seen the up/down/up/down movie before. Making the playoffs and winning a playoff game or 2 in consecutive years would go a long way.
                      It is never going to die, because any time the Lions fuck up, no matter what previous success they may have had, that when it happens there will be a lament of Same Ol' Lions. Christ, it comes up between drives in the game day threads. Ha!

Comment

• So... in the spirit of proper balance, roughly 50 some odd years of winning seasons should balance it out?
                        Last edited by chemiclord; December 27, 2023, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• I guess I'm busted. The only reason I have watched the Lions for close to 50 years and spent countless hours reading this forum is to get as many sol posts in as possible.

Now CGVT can take his drunk ass to bed thinking he knows everything.

Comment

• Good night

Comment

• Think it all goes back to Panoptes’ “Show me, don’t tell me” sig.

Show everyone. Force those people with SOL tats to the laser treatment surgery.
                              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                                Force those people with SOL tats to the laser treatment surgery.
                                No need. It'll just have a different meaning. It'll be like....

"Oh, and there it is. Division winners again. Same Ol' Lions!"
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X