X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niyo: Lions’ trade deadline statement: We’re good

John Niyo
    The Detroit News

Allen Park — They bought, but didn’t splurge. And after the Lions were done shopping at the NFL trade deadline, well aware they’d been outspent by some of their NFC rivals in the playoff chase, Dan Campbell had a simple retort.

“Good for them,” he shrugged.

That was the Lions’ stance as they headed into their bye week, and whether you agree with it or not, they sure seem comfortable with who they are and what they’ve got. And not just where they stand, but also where they’re headed.

While San Francisco, Philadelphia and Seattle loaded up on defense ahead of Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline, adding former Pro Bowlers to bolster their Super Bowl hopes, Detroit made only a minor deal, acquiring receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones from the Cleveland in exchange for a 2025 sixth-round pick.

And though general manager Brad Holmes was busy making and taking calls about other trade possibilities in recent days — “Trust me, he did his work,” Campbell said — nothing else came together. No help for a secondary that already has lost two projected starters in C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Emmanuel Moseley. Not another pass rusher to help Aidan Hutchinson and a defensive front seven that’s finally starting to bare its teeth.

The Lions didn’t stand pat, per se, but they are staying the course.

“Brad and I said from Day 1, we have a plan in place that we don't want to alter,” Campbell said. “We don't want to mess with that. And we're in Year 3 of this right now, the beginning of Year 3. Everything had to be right. I just go back to it had to be the right player, it had to be the right fit, and it had to be the right price. All three of those. And that's not an easy thing to do. That's how we look at it.”

Sitting pretty?

As for the rest of us? Well, they should know this sort of unrest is part of the deal now that the Lions aren’t just a playoff hopeful but a virtual lock to make the postseason, barring some catastrophic injuries.

They’re an overwhelming favorite to win the NFC North, with the Vikings (4-4) pinning their hopes on newly-acquired quarterback Joshua Dobbs — a guy who was on the Lions’ practice squad last December — after Kirk Cousins suffered a torn Achilles in Sunday’s win at Green Bay.

Beyond that, the Lions have a legitimate shot at earning home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. They own the second-best record in the NFC at 6-2 overall, sitting a game behind the Eagles and a half-game ahead of the Seahawks. But Campbell’s team also has arguably the easiest remaining schedule of the top NFC contenders. Five of their final nine games are against division opponents, and just one team left on their schedule (Dallas) currently has a winning record.

All of which adds to the argument some of us were making for the Lions to take a more aggressive approach at the deadline. Something like what San Francisco did Tuesday in sending a third-round pick to Washington for defensive end Chase Young. Or what Seattle did Monday in trading away second- and fifth-round picks to the New York Giants for defensive tackle Leonard Williams. Or what Philadelphia did last week in dealing a player and two Day 3 picks to Tennessee to add safety Kevin Byard.

The Lions had an extra third-round pick in 2024 to barter with, and I still think they may end up regretting not adding a cornerback here, if only for insurance purposes.

But Young and Williams are both in contract years, making them either costly rentals or major salary-cap expenses moving forward for the 49ers and Seahawks. Ditto the other high-profile pass rusher that Washington moved at the deadline, trading Montez Sweat to the rebuilding Chicago Bears for a second-round pick. So keep that in mind as well.

The Lions have a talented young roster and a championship window that’s just beginning to open here, but they also have cap considerations that surely played a factor here. If all goes well, there’ll be new extensions coming before too long for the likes of Jared Goff and Jonah Jackson, as well as the core of Holmes’ initial 2021 draft class in Detroit.

“Every team has a different plight and every team is in a different place, a different phase with their team building,” Holmes said Tuesday. “But there's nothing that we leave un-turned or ignored or anything. We look at every position, we look at everything.”

Receiving reinforcements

Not everything is what it seems, either, which probably helps explain why only eight trades materialized Tuesday despite all the rumors that’ve been flying around for weeks.

“You know, a lot of these names that you might see pop up, they look good in the media and they are names,” Holmes said. “But often it’s just not reality. Those same names that you see pop up, you start getting into conversations and it just doesn't work out.”

The one that did for Detroit was born of necessity, really. The abrupt departure of veteran receiver Marvin Jones Jr. two weeks ago left a hole in the Lions’ roster that Holmes and Campbell felt more comfortable filling from outside right now.

And in Peoples-Jones, the fourth-year pro out of Michigan, they feel like they’ve found another versatile, big-bodied wideout to complement the quartet of Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds, Jameson Williams, and Kalif Raymond. The former Detroit Cass Tech star, who also adds some return ability, was coming off a career-best season for the Browns in 2022 (61 catches, 839 yards), but he had just eight receptions for 97 yards through seven games this year.

“I think you always feel like you’re one injury away and that was a position that we felt like if we can find a steady, reliable guy that fits us, that can play outside, that was something that we wanted to look and see if we can acquire,” Campbell said. “And DPJ we felt like really fit us.”

The fit, of course, is something both Holmes and Campbell have continually stressed since they arrived in Detroit in early 2021. And it’s not just lip service when Campbell says, “We’re not going to mess with the vibe of this team." Or when his GM reiterated Tuesday, “That’s every single move we make.”

So, about those moves the other NFC teams made? Good for them.

And as for how Campbell feels his team matches up with them?

“Yeah,” he nodded, “I feel really good.”

john.niyo@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @JohnNiyo

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Jared Goff will be the best QB that DPJ has ever played with, by a sizable margin.

I've always liked him and felt that he outperformed the offenses he's played in. I'm optimistic that he will work out to be more than just a depth receiver here.

Comment

• Peoples-Jones, not a bad trade. I wanted him over Cephus in the draft years ago. I never understood how we didn’t draft him at that slot. DPJ is fantastic with his contested catch and you’re probably looking at the new return man which he’s electric at.

I am a bit surprised that we didn’t give up a 3rd for Young. I get not parting with a second rounder for a rental but a 3rd for his kind of production? That’s puzzling.

Even more puzzling is why the Bears are so stupid to trade a 2nd rounder for Sweat. Chicago is a cool city and they have loads of cap space but even with drafting a franchise QB next year they’re still years away. Their 2nd rounder is a really valuable pick. That might be one of the dumbest trades I’ve ever seen
          Last edited by jaadam4; November 1, 2023, 01:33 AM.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
            Jared Goff will be the best QB that DPJ has ever played with, by a sizable margin.

I've always liked him and felt that he outperformed the offenses he's played in. I'm optimistic that he will work out to be more than just a depth receiver here.
            It also puts Jameson Williams on notice that if he doesn't get his act together, that he might be gone very soon, maybe even next year either prior to the NFL Draft or during the NFL Draft.
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• If DPJ comes in and sees immediate touches JaMo has definitely got problems. Truthfully I think he was added more for special teams and the cost for the type of player was hard to turn down. He did have 800 yards receiving last year.

Hell maybe Holmes made the deal because the cost was so low and he needed to make at least one move. Either way we’re a better team for the deal but I felt a CB should have been in the mix.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

Guess we added another Reynolds to the mix? lol

“We look at every position,” Holmes said. “A lot of these names that you might see pop up, they look good in the media, and they are names, but that’s often — it’s not reality. Those same names you see pop up, when you start getting into conversation, it just doesn’t work out for the best for us. So every team has a different plight, every team is in a different place, different direction, different phase in their team building. But no, there’s nothing that we leave unturned or ignored or anything. We look at every position, we look at everything and this was the best one for us.”

Holmes said Peoples-Jones essentially fills the backup receiver spot left open when the Lions cut Marvin Jones last week. Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds and Kalif Raymond are the Lions’ starting receivers, and Jameson Williams and rookie Antoine Green have played as their top backups.​
                  I'm good with what the Lions did at the trade deadline. I don't think anyone who was reasonably available to them pushes them into the Super Bowl this year.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

Guess we added another Reynolds to the mix? lol

I'm good with what the Lions did at the trade deadline. I don't think anyone who was reasonably available to them pushes them into the Super Bowl this year.
                    Having that extra 3rd will allow Holmes to move up and down in the draft specifically in the 2nd round. Holmes has been great so I can’t bet against him
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dsred View Post

I listened all day today and I don't recall him talking about Anzalone once. He did however talk about a cheap pass rushing DE... and he's right.
                      No he was saying that shit in the spring, he was criticizing then for not upgrading Anzalone.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsred View Post

That's the future. What about this year while the window is fortuitously wide open? A send or a third is a nothingburger in the grand scheme of things.
                        You have had a lot of bad posts this trade deadline and this isn't the worst of it, but I want to start by looking at the Holmes second and third round picks. I have been a little cavalier with draft picks in the past. The NFL as whole I think over value's draft picks, because realistically count matters more than position specially after the first and getting known players with clear and easy to hit expectations waaay out weigh most picks that tend to not work out. This has made it even harder as a Lions fans because we were lucky to get one useful player in the draft and even our second round picks were the of the Rodrigo variety. A guy who came in, played better than most available on the team but basically were at best and rarely that JAG level. But after 3 drafts, how could a second or third be a nothing burger? With how Holmes has been rolling the dice, you want him to put his hot hand down? These players, the way Holmes has been drafting has been cornerstone players. Not to mention he has pulled out already one of those things I say almost never happens so stop pretending every pick is a potential superstar. He got a so far absolutely great, not just value, but straight up great player in Amon-Ra, that would be a top 15 pick if we repicked that 2021 draft.

Levi Onwuzurike RD-2
                        Alim McNeill​ RD-3
                        Ifeatu Melifonwu​ rd-3

Josh Paschal​ RD-2
                        Kerby Joseph​ RD-3

Sam LaPorta​ RD-2
                        Brian Branch​ RD-2
                        Hendon Hooker​ RD-3
                        Brodric Martin​ RD-3

Now I will admit I think this last draft blinded me a bit. I was expecting a bit more considering how many great players we have gotten in our drafts so far. But a few things pop out. 1. They are spending these picks in those same area's that you want them to fill with a rental. 2 That some of these players were slow developers, but they are starting to make their marks right now and we have them for a few more seasons and have upside that generally a player that a team is willing to trade a player away mid season is going to have (there is a reason everyone thought Wash was willing to give up on Young). This season Sam and Brian have played to a nearly PB level. Mcneill just stamped his mark on the Raiders. Joseph has been our best coverage safety in terms of Turnovers which are by their natures game changers. ​

I had a friend that was so certain that the Lions should trade for the Henry. So certain that Monty would get injured again if he came back. No chance Gibbs could carry a game. My responce back was you make a move for Henry, you have to feed Henry. If you are feeding Henry, it means Monty is seeing his carries go down significantly. Do we have Gibbs playing at all. If Henry is just a rental because you don't sign a big contract to a 29 year old RB, how does this effect the RB room going forward, specially if Monty doesn't go down again. You have a starter replaced on a very temp injury. You have potential explosive player that doesn't get to see the offense at all going into next season for no other reason then you were getting worried.

Turns out why he wants this move. Is because this is "THE" year and he is so certain that is our best chance to win it all. Going all in when you think is your best chance is something I get. But on the reverse side of it. It is our first chance. Our best players are ours. We have a few offseason deals for talent. But our best players outside analonze and Goff are guys we drafted. We are young and our core of young players aren't just good, they have been great so far. This isn't the best chance, its the first chance, and we will get more and this is not the season to be cutting out the legs out of the future.

So all the Carter lovers. The Gibbs haters. The make a splashy move at the trade deadline. If you think the Lions have a chance to go deep this year. It's because of the person you think is screwing up by not making one move or making the other move you hated. Give it a break. Even the Jamo pick. He sucks right now. It's unlikely we ever see the value Holmes had in his eye when he picked him. But he has made soooooo many more moves and decisions that have worked out. That we don't really have anything to say about it except the congratulations for the success of the team going forward.
                        Last edited by Topweasel; November 1, 2023, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

No he was saying that shit in the spring, he was criticizing then for not upgrading Anzalone.
                          I can't believe anyone listens to that putz.

Anytime anyone has posted a clip here, I check it out and just shake my head. The fucking guy is a moron. He knows nothing but spews bullshit as if he knows what's up, but in reality he is as reactionary and as wrong as the rest of the armchair GMs

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post

You have had a lot of bad posts this trade deadline and this isn't the worst of it, but I want to start by looking at the Holmes second and third round picks. I have been a little cavalier with draft picks in the past. The NFL as whole I think over value's draft picks, because realistically count matters more than position specially after the first and getting known players with clear and easy to hit expectations waaay out weigh most picks that tend to not work out. This has made it even harder as a Lions fans because we were lucky to get one useful player in the draft and even our second round picks were the of the Rodrigo variety. A guy who came in, played better than most available on the team but basically were at best and rarely that JAG level. But after 3 drafts, how could a second or third be a nothing burger? With how Holmes has been rolling the dice, you want him to put his hot hand down? These players, the way Holmes has been drafting has been cornerstone players. Not to mention he has pulled out already one of those things I say almost never happens so stop pretending every pick is a potential superstar. He got a so far absolutely great, not just value, but straight up great player in Amon-Ra, that would be a top 15 pick if we repicked that 2021 draft.

Levi Onwuzurike RD-2
                            Alim McNeill​ RD-3
                            Ifeatu Melifonwu​ rd-3

Josh Paschal​ RD-2
                            Kerby Joseph​ RD-3

Sam LaPorta​ RD-2
                            Brian Branch​ RD-2
                            Hendon Hooker​ RD-3
                            Brodric Martin​ RD-3

Now I will admit I think this last draft blinded me a bit. I was expecting a bit more considering how many great players we have gotten in our drafts so far. But a few things pop out. 1. They are spending these picks in those same area's that you want them to fill with a rental. 2 That some of these players were slow developers, but they are starting to make their marks right now and we have them for a few more seasons and have upside that generally a player that a team is willing to trade a player away mid season is going to have (there is a reason everyone thought Wash was willing to give up on Young). This season Sam and Brian have played to a nearly PB level. Mcneill just stamped his mark on the Raiders. Joseph has been our best coverage safety in terms of Turnovers which are by their natures game changers. ​

I had a friend that was so certain that the Lions should trade for the Henry. So certain that Monty would get injured again if he came back. No chance Gibbs could carry a game. My responce back was you make a move for Henry, you have to feed Henry. If you are feeding Henry, it means Monty is seeing his carries go down significantly. Do we have Gibbs playing at all. If Henry is just a rental because you don't sign a big contract to a 29 year old RB, how does this effect the RB room going forward, specially if Monty doesn't go down again. You have a starter replaced on a very temp injury. You have potential explosive player that doesn't get to see the offense at all going into next season for no other reason then you were getting worried.

Turns out why he wants this move. Is because this is "THE" year and he is so certain that is our best chance to win it all. Going all in when you think is your best chance is something I get. But on the reverse side of it. It is our first chance. Our best players are ours. We have a few offseason deals for talent. But our best players outside analonze and Goff are guys we drafted. We are young and our core of young players aren't just good, they have been great so far. This isn't the best chance, its the first chance, and we will get more and this is not the season to be cutting out the legs out of the future.

So all the Carter lovers. The Gibbs haters. The make a splashy move at the trade deadline. If you think the Lions have a chance to go deep this year. It's because of the person you think is screwing up by not making one move or making the other move you hated. Give it a break. Even the Jamo pick. He sucks right now. It's unlikely we ever see the value Holmes had in his eye when he picked him. But he has made soooooo many more moves and decisions that have worked out. That we don't really have anything to say about it except the congratulations for the success of the team going forward.
                            Great post, thanks for taking the time to put it out there. Totally agree.
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

Great post, thanks for taking the time to put it out there. Totally agree.
                              Deb, I've posted the latest news on former Lions great Lem Barney in the Former Lions section.
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions are a playoff lock, but how will they handle these 5 roadblocks ahead?

Dave Birkett
                                Detroit Free Press

Their focus has been on winning the division, because as many an NFL coach has said, if you get in the tournament anything can happen.

But the Detroit Lions’ playoff spot feels secure enough now, with the rest of the NFC North tumbling towards top-10 picks, that even head coach Dan Campbell was thinking about something bigger after Monday night’s 26-14 win over the Las Vegas Raiders.

“I mean, it’s a good spot to be in,” Campbell said when asked about his team’s 6-2 record, the Lions’ best start since 2014. “Wins are hard to come by in this league and anything is up for grabs in the NFC right now and our focus right now is our own division and so we get another win, and we help our own cause.”

Everything in the NFC is up for grabs right now, and more specifically, within the Lions’ reach.

An NFC North title. The No. 1 seed in the conference. Homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. A spot in the Super Bowl.

The Lions need a lot to go right in their final nine games to turn those dreams into reality, and as they hit their bye week with the NFL trade deadline in the rearview mirror, there are five issues they need to navigate to make this a truly special season.

Hutch's helpers

The Lions’ strong faith in their defensive line goes back to the spring, when they passed on pass rush help with their first five picks of the draft, and it doesn’t seem to have waivered in-season. They did not make a move for a defensive end at Tuesday’s trade deadline and were not believed to be in on the top pass rushers dealt, Montez Sweat and Chase Young.

The Lions have had games of seven, five and six sacks this season, so they’ve been able to generate good pass rush at times. But their lulls getting to the quarterback have been worrisome — they have one or no sacks in five of their eight games — and they don’t have a game-wrecker at the second defensive end spot opposite Aidan Hutchinson.

I would have liked to see the Lions add a top-tier pass rusher Tuesday, but the best edge players mentioned as trade candidates — Brian Burns and Danielle Hunter — stayed put. Alim McNeill is coming off a two-sack game and the Lions have been able to apply pressure with blitzes. Still, their mediocre sack rate (7.47%, tied for 18th in the league) could come back to bite them unless they get contributions from Charles Harris, Julian Okwara, or James Houston down the stretch.

Good QBs a' coming

The Lions haven’t exactly played a murder’s row of quarterbacks this season — Desmond Ridder, Baker Mayfield, Jordan Love, Bryce Young, Jimmy Garoppolo — and they haven’t fared great against the two top-10 QBs they’ve faced. Sure, they beat Patrick Mahomes in Week 1, but Mahomes was magnificent in the pocket, didn’t have Travis Kelce and didn’t get any help from his receiving corps, and Lamar Jackson made a case for league MVP when he led the Baltimore Ravens to a Week 7 win over Detroit.

Fortunately, the Lions don’t have many top-tier quarterbacks left on their schedule. They play Justin Herbert after the bye, then face borderline NFL starters every other game except for Week 17 when they visit Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys. The playoffs will be a different story, however, when more capable quarterbacks await on the NFC side (Jalen Hurts?) and potentially in the Super Bowl (take your pick).

The Lions let too many receivers run open behind them in wins over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Raiders that opposing QBs just flat-out missed. That won’t happen in the playoffs. They're thin at cornerback with Emmanuel Moseley out for the season with a knee injury, and there are questions at safety with C.J. Gardner-Johnson out indefinitely with a torn pectoral muscle. If Cam Sutton or Jerry Jacobs misses time with an injury, the Lions' depth in the secondary becomes even more dire.

Lucky No. 7

The Lions have one of the NFL’s best offensive lines when healthy, but they’ve started seven different combinations in eight games this year. That type of turnover is not conducive to a long playoff run.

There’s good news on the way as the Lions should get starters Jonah Jackson (ankle) and Frank Ragnow (calf) back after the bye, but Halapoulivaati Vaitai appears to be on his last legs, and the Lions already lost swing tackle Matt Nelson for the season.

Hank Fraley has done a good job developing young backups Colby Sorsdal and Kayode Awosika, but the Lions, like most teams, will only go as far on offense as their line takes them. They’re a run-first team and Jared Goff looks like a different quarterback when protected. In order to reach their potential, they need their starting five — Ragnow, Jackson, Graham Glasgow, Taylor Decker and Penei Sewell — healthy for the playoffs.

Golden goals

Place kicking has been a thorn in the Lions’ side for three years running, but at least they didn’t spend a third-round pick on a kicker only to have the same problems again.

Riley Patterson made his first two 40-plus-yard kicks of the season Monday, but he missed a 26-yarder wide right and his 52-yarder barely cleared the crossbar.

Riley Patterson kicking vs. Raiders_10-30-2023.jpg

Patterson is a respectable 11-for-13 on the season, and he did make a 36-yard field goal as time expired to win a playoff game for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. Kicking in the clutch isn’t his issue, but his limited range could leave the Lions in a bind in late-game situations.

At this point, the Lions better hope they don’t find themselves in a situation where they’re playing outdoors, in the elements, with a 50-yard field goal to win it.

Home, sweet home

I think it’s absolutely critical to the Lions’ Super Bowl hopes that they play as many home games as possible in the postseason. Not only do the Lions have one of the best homefield advantages in all of football, but their team seems much more tailored to play indoors.

Goff has been a different quarterback at Ford Field (72.2% completion percentage with 8 TDs and 3 INTs) than on the road (65%, 4 TDs, 2 INTs). He played his worst game of the season outside at Baltimore, when windy conditions affected some of his throws. The offense averages nearly 10 points fewer per game on the road (20.3) than at home (29.8). And playing in the elements is another potential hindrance to the kicking game.

I don’t like the Lions’ chances of winning a playoff game at Philadelphia or San Francisco, but if they take care of business — given the 49ers’ recent struggles and the Eagles’ upcoming schedule (vs. Dallas, at Kansas City, vs. San Francisco, at Dallas and at Seattle) — they have a clear path to the No. 1 seed.

Dan Campbell said he doesn’t mind playing anyone, anywhere at any time. But it’s in the Lions’ best interests to stay warm and snug at Ford Field in the postseason.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Next up: Chargers

Matchup: Lions (6-2) at L.A. Chargers (3-4).

Kickoff: 4:05 p.m. Nov. 12; SoFi Stadium, Inglewood, California.

TV/radio: CBS; WXYT-FM (97.1).

Line: TBA.

My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X