X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
    Haha!

Amon-Ra St. Brown Pays off Bet to Julian Okwara
    Amon-Ra St. Brown wore a costume after practice.Amon-Ra St. Brown surprised reporters Thursday by conducting his weekly media availability in a leprechaun costume.

Detroit's third-year wideout was donning his outfit as the result of a lost "agreement," between he, a USC product, and Notre Dame alum Julian Okwara.

Notre Dame knocked off the previously unbeaten USC 48-20 on Oct. 14, resulting in St. Brown having to dress up.

"We don't do bets in this facility, we made an agreement," St. Brown said. "Made it outside the facility, I called (Okwara), FaceTimed him and said, 'If USC wins, he's gotta be Tommy the Trojan. If Notre Dame wins, I've gotta be, whatever this green thing is.' So yeah, we made an agreement outside the facility and that's that."

He played it off nicely, commenting about how poorly he felt about his attire.

"I mean, this material's trash, everything about this is trash. But it is what it is," St. Brown added.

Detroit's top wideout is having a solid start to his third season. He's coming off new career-high totals in receptions and receiving yards last week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He's developed superb chemistry with quarterback Jared Goff, who was named the NFC's Offensive Player of the Week for his performance Sunday.

St. Brown had high praise for his passer Thursday, explaining what makes Goff so steady and reliable for Detroit's offense.

"He's been a beast. He just keeps getting better every week. So poised, so calm, doesn't throw many picks but when he does, he moves on so quickly," St. Brown said. "For a quarterback, I feel like that's a trait every quarterback wished they had. He has that and is just able to move on to the next series, whatever it is, next. For an offense, that's huge. When a pick does happen, it's probably, a turnover is one of the lowest points for an offense. He's able to just flip the switch, move on to the next series. It gives us the confidence as an offense to keep going and finish the game how we want. Because one play is not gonna define the whole game."

Better watch out...The NFL might consider that "gambling" and suspend them both......

Comment

• The Lions are excelling on the road, with their fans on hand to witness it all

Sewell Hi-Fiving Lions fans in Tampa 10-15-2023.jpg

By Colton Pouncy
      7h ago

It’s a Sunday afternoon in October, and kickoff is just minutes away. Players are standing in the tunnel waiting for the signal to run out onto the field. They’re taking in the moment, appreciative of a city that has rallied around them. During their trot to the sideline, they stare up at a sea of Detroit Lions fans in Honolulu Blue, proud to cheer on a team that’s finally giving them an on-field product they can believe in. And then, it hits them.

Oh, right. We’re on the road.

“We’ll be on the field and it’ll be loud as hell,” Lions defensive tackle Alim McNeill said. “I’ll forget we’re not at home.”

“Most of these stadiums, you’re getting booed when you run out,” linebacker Derrick Barnes added. “Even through our tunnel, it was just a bunch of Lions fans. You look out to where our sideline was, it was nothing but blue, man. That was amazing to see. It felt like we were at home. Seriously.”

This is the new norm for the Lions. They’re 5-1 this season, but perhaps even more impressive, a perfect 3-0 on the road. What you’re seeing is a Lions team finally built to win, being supported by a fan base that has been waiting patiently (sometimes not so patiently) for a squad precisely like this. All they’ve wanted for years — decades, even — was a team that wouldn’t disappoint them in oh-so-typical fashion, one that wouldn’t be the laughingstock of the league, one that, just maybe, could give them something good to root for.

These Lions have done that. And they’re seeing the support every time they hit the road.

“There’s kind of a takeover here,” Lions coach Dan Campbell said Monday, after his team’s 20-6 win over the Buccaneers in Tampa. “It feels that way. … This is just another game you walk out and it’s a sea of blue. And then by the time the third quarter hits, you can hear them because we get up, we’re making plays. … And man, that’s something else. I mean, seriously, this is pretty awesome.”

The process of getting here has been a slow burn, not an overnight success. Campbell and the Lions were winless on the road in 2021 — his first season in Detroit — going 0-8-1. That continued early into 2022. The Lions lost to the Vikings, Patriots and Cowboys to start 0-3 on the road. All the while, Campbell felt his team was close. It was simply a matter of time before it would figure things out, and it finally happened in November.

The Lions went to Chicago, rallied from a 24-10 fourth-quarter deficit and beat the Bears. Road wins over the Giants, Jets and Packers soon followed. Since that 0-11-1 road start, Campbell’s Lions are 7-1 in their last eight away games.

So, then, why the turnaround? It starts with draft and development. Look at the players the Lions have added. Not just from a talent perspective, but the way they’re wired.

Penei Sewell and Amon-Ra St. Brown are team captains with impeccable work ethics. Aidan Hutchinson is well on his way, and while at the University of Michigan, played in front of college crowds bigger than what he sees on Sundays. Kerby Joseph was born with sky-high confidence. Jahmyr Gibbs and Jack Campbell are even-keeled, somewhat stoic personalities. Sam LaPorta exudes golden retriever energy. Brian Branch started for Nick Saban as a true freshman. The Lions have built a roster of players who’ve either played in big games or aren’t easily rattled. It’s very much intentional.

The veterans who were already here when Holmes and Campbell arrived, and the ones they’ve acquired over the years, have helped set the tone, too. The core members of this offensive line were here for losing seasons, and have been rejuvenated by the team’s success. Quarterback Jared Goff has found new life in Detroit. Alex Anzalone was brought in from New Orleans to establish a new culture. John Cominsky and Craig Reynolds came from Division II programs and had to fight for every look they received. They do the dirty work that often goes unnoticed. Isaiah Buggs was a practice squad player with the Raiders before signing with the Lions. Cam Sutton has been a steadying presence for the secondary.

There’s something to be said of a team that’s unfazed in certain environments and can consistently win in someone else’s building. Last season, only three of the 14 playoff teams had a losing record on the road. In 2021, only one did. The Lions, meanwhile, are one of two teams with a spotless 3-0 record on the road this season (the Chiefs are the other) and have won seven of their last eight road games overall. They’ll look to make it eight of nine Sunday in Baltimore, taking on the 4-2 Ravens, with their confidence at an all-time high.

“Send us anywhere,” Goff said late last month. “We’ll be ready. That’s the way we’re built.”

That has been especially true this season. The Lions are averaging 384.3 yards per game at home and 383 on the road — nearly identical production. Their 25 points per game on the road ranks seventh in the NFL and their 31 points per game at home ranks fifth. Defensively, Detroit allows 265.7 yards per game on the road (sixth in the NFL) as opposed to 306 yards per game allowed at home. The Lions have been producing wherever they’ve played.

It started in Kansas City, on banner night. The NFL chose the Lions as a sparring partner for the defending champions. Arrowhead is one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. Chiefs fans flock to the parking lots to tailgate the minute the gates open, then pack the stadium to create a deafening environment. But you wouldn’t know it by the end of the game.

The Lions escaped with a 21-20 victory to kick off the season. When the game was over, Lions fans stuck around and made their presence felt. It was the first time, but certainly not the last, they’d take over a stadium.

Next up was a trip to Green Bay in Week 4. Lambeau Field is the NFL’s most iconic stadium. Equipped with a college-town feel and a rabid fan base that loves its Packers, it’s not easy winning there, contrary to what the Lions would have you believe. A dominant 27-3 first half took the life out of the home crowd. By the fourth quarter, Packers fans headed for the exits in droves. Lions fans, meanwhile, leaned back, propped their feet on the coffee table and made themselves at home.

And just this past weekend, more of the same. Raymond James Stadium isn’t known as a hostile environment, and Florida being a hotbed for Michigan residents certainly didn’t help the home team. But Lions players and coaches took the field for pregame warmups and knew what was coming.

Players on defense noticed Tampa Bay’s offense was having trouble communicating with each other. Campbell saw it, too, and said if he were in their position, he might’ve had his offense move to a silent cadence. There was no need for that on Sunday, though. Late in the fourth quarter, “Let’s go, Lions” chants rang throughout the Bucs’ stadium.

This is something Campbell and players have hinted at over the years, knowing this was possible, knowing it was on them to ultimately provide something to cheer for. They’ve gotten off to the type of start that turns doubters into believers. Slowly but surely, they’re working to rewrite decades of narratives about this franchise. When you see the way Lions fans travel and make stadiums their own, you can’t help but wonder if this team has awakened a sleeping giant.

“We know if you want to be a good team in this league, you have to win on the road,” Campbell said. “We know that, they understand that and I think they look forward to it. I really do. I think we enjoy playing on the road. I think there’s something about it.”

“It’s only gonna get better, too,” McNeill said. “The crowds are only gonna get bigger in away games. Especially when we play our divisional opponents, that’s gonna be crazy.”

Some teams lose their identity when they hit the road. These Lions discover theirs, with the help of a fan base that can finally roar.

“We gotta keep this thing going,” Barnes said. “We know Lions fans are so faithful and so loyal to us, we highly appreciate them. They are a big part of who we are and what we’re doing this year.”

Colton Pouncy is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Detroit Lions. He previously covered Michigan State football and basketball for the company, and covered sports for The Tennessean in Nashville prior to joining The Athletic. Follow Colton on Twitter @colton_pouncy

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• 3. Detroit Lions

Detroit has built itself into a legitimate Super Bowl contender, starting the regular season with a 5-1 record. Over the last few years, the front office has been stellar at the NFL Draft, bringing aboard players like Aidan Hutchinson, Penei Sewell, Jameson Williams and Amon-Ra St. Brown. While it's still early in their careers, the 2023 draft class also has the makings of a special group headlined by Jahmyr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, and Brian Branch. And that's not even mentioning the potential quarterback of the future in Hendon Hooker. You'll be hard-pressed to find that type of high-end young talent core anywhere else in the league at the moment.

While Jared Goff may not have the individual ceiling of other elite quarterbacks, he is playing at a high level so far this season within Ben Johnson's offense. Currently, Goff -- who is signed through 2024 -- is on pace for a career-high in completion percentage and passer rating. As we mentioned, the team also has a possible replacement for Goff if they decide against extending him in the future in Hooker, meaning there are options at that key position.

Detroit also has the seventh-highest amount of salary cap space next offseason, meaning they'll be able to add even more talent onto this roster. They also have all of their meaningful draft picks for the foreseeable future.

The key concern going beyond 2023 will be the possible brain drain at the coaching positions. Offensive coordinator Ben Johnson and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn will likely be hot commodities as head coaching candidates over the next few years, so it remains to be seen how Dan Campbell's team could be impacted by their departures.​
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• ‘They moved the goalie’: Lions’ Jameson Williams learns a lot at first Red Wings game

Nolan Bianchi
          The Detroit News

Allen Park — Jameson Williams hasn’t announced himself as a multi-sport athlete just yet, but in the last week, he’s scored a touchdown for the Detroit Lions and lit the lamp for the Detroit Red Wings.

Quick disclaimer: Williams, who sealed a 20-6 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday with his second-half touchdown reception from Jared Goff, didn’t actually score for the Red Wings in a 6-3 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday night.

But he did enjoy life as a popular NFL star when the hockey team invited him down to Little Caesars Arena to press the goal horn pregame, a new tradition at LCA as the Red Wings debut their “classic Hockeytown goal horn” this season.

Williams, a St. Louis native, said he attended the game with two family members.

"It was a lot of fun. It was my first hockey game I've ever been to and I just had a great experience with the fans," Williams said, smiling at his locker Thursday.

There was no shortage of comedic moments during Williams’ adventure to his first hockey game.

For starters, he was interviewed on the big screen at LCA, a standard procedure for a big guest. But the interview just so happened to coincide with TNT’s nationally televised, mid-period interview with Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman, so Williams’ enlarged face sat right over Yzerman’s shoulder during the TV hit.

Then, he took to Instagram to document his travels, most notably his wonder at the fact Pittsburgh “moved the goalie” (or rather, pulled their goalie to get an extra attacker).

“It’s no goalie, so you can get free goals,” Williams said. “That’s just like no safeties, cover zero.”

During the video, Detroit added an empty-net goal to seal the win, and he got a high-five from the woman sitting in front of him while saying, "send them boys back home to wherever they from."

"We was just talking throughout the game. She was a Detroit Red Wings fan. She heard me trying to figure out the game, so she turned around and tried to explain it to me a couple of times, but when we were scoring, everybody was getting up, so we was just high-fiving," Williams said.

It may have been his first hockey game, but from the sound of it, it won't be his last.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @nolanbianchi

My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Position coach shares how Lions LB Malcolm Rodriguez is handling reduced defensive role

Justin Rogers
                The Detroit News

Allen Park — When the Detroit Lions drafted Jack Campbell in the first round last April, most initially assumed it would push Derrick Barnes to the bench. Instead, it's been Malcolm Rodriguez, a fan favorite and 15-game starter as a rookie in 2022, who has seen his defensive role whittled to nothing the past few weeks.

The decline in playing time has been due to a confluence of factors. Beyond the addition of Campbell, Barnes' vastly improved performance has created a nearly even-split timeshare at middle linebacker between the two. And with that pair filling the middle of Detroit's defense, it's allowed the team to shift every-down linebacker Alex Anzalone to the weak side, which happens to be the best fit for Rodriguez's skill set.

Despite his personal change in fortune, Rodriguez isn't pouting. In fact, he's impressed his coaches with his upbeat attitude.

"Honestly, I think it hurts me more than it hurts him," linebacker coach Kelvin Sheppard said. "I feel a guilt every game, especially these last two weeks, when I look up and I see he had no defensive snaps. But then I go have a personal one-on-one conversation with him — which I know he’s comfortable with me sharing — he has a huge smile on his face. He’s like, 'We won, man.' He’s like, ‘What are you talking about?’ I’m good, Shep.'"

Without a role on defense, Rodriguez has found other ways to contribute. He's become one of the team's top special-teams contributors, and his 111 snaps with those groups have already exceeded how many he saw as a rookie last season.

"He’s turned into one of the better special-team players in this league," Sheppard said. "And when you talk about a football player, that’s what he is. You ask him to do something, he’s going to do it. And I’m fortunate as a coach to have guys like that who are selfless."

That tracks with comments Rodriguez made during training camp, when the first signs of a reduced defensive role were becoming a reality.

"Yeah, any chance I have to get out there and perform, be me, be around the ball, it's good," Rodriguez said. "Wherever I play, I'm going to go out there and give it my all."

And, as we've seen all season, being on the bench one week is hardly predictive of future contributions with this Lions team. Whether performance-related or due to the injury bug ravaging the depth chart, Detroit's reserves have played a big role in the team's early season success.

"We have a very open and transparent room, so there’s never a time where he feels like he’s been done wrong or an injustice or anything," Sheppard said. "He just understands the nature of the beast right now. We have a lot of guys playing at a high level, and he just happens to fall fourth in the line of them right now. But that player, I can guarantee you, will help us win football games, which he already has, but more so on the defensive side of the ball moving forward. We’re gonna need that player at some point this year, and he’ll be ready to go."

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @Justin_Rogers

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Dan Campbell: I trust Detroit Lions GM Brad Holmes 100% on NFL trade deadline maneuvering

Dave Birkett
                  Detroit Free Press

The Detroit Lions are tied for the best record in the NFL six weeks into the season, but when it comes to upgrading their roster at this year's trade deadline, Lions coach Dan Campbell said he's leaving those decisions to general manager Brad Holmes.

"Whatever does or does not happen, I trust Brad 100 percent," Campbell said Friday. "It’s going to be for the better of us, betterment of our team."

Holmes has built one of the NFL's best and most complete rosters, largely through trades and the draft.

The Lions (5-1) have won four straight games by double digits and have been able to withstand myriad injuries on both sides of the ball.

Defensive backs C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Emmanuel Moseley, two of the Lions' top free agent additions this spring, played in one game each before suffering likely season-ending injuries; the offensive line has started five different combinations in six games; and top offensive skill players Amon-Ra St. Brown, David Montgomery and Jahmyr Gibbs have missed time with injuries.

Montgomery is dealing with his second injury of the season and will not play in Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens (4-2) because of torn cartilage in his ribs.

With the NFL's third-ranked offense and seventh-ranked defense, the Lions do not have a glaring weakness on either side of the ball. They are, however, thin in the secondary, where they do not have a proven outside cornerback behind starters Cam Sutton and Jerry Jacobs, light at receiver while they try and determine what Jameson Williams can add to the group, and perennially in search of more pass rush.

Most NFL teams have two games remaining before the Oct. 31 deadline — the Lions play the Ravens on Sunday and host the Las Vegas Raiders on Oct. 30 on Monday Night Football — to decide whether they will be buyers, sellers or stand pat.

Holmes made one deadline deal in his first two seasons as Lions GM, sending tight end T.J. Hockenson to the Minnesota Vikings for a swap of draft picks last November.

Hockenson is tied for second this season among tight ends with 36 catches, but the Lions used the draft pick compensation they received in that deal to take Hendon Hooker in April's draft, and filled Hockenson's shoes by drafting Sam LaPorta in the second round.

Asked on Thursday if he felt his defense was lacking anything it might be able to acquire at the deadline, Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn said those questions were better left to Campbell.

Campbell said Friday he and Holmes talked "briefly in passing" about trade deadline possibilities on Thursday.

"You know him, he’s always looking," Campbell said. "He’s looking, he’s seeing if something’s out there, if something that makes sense. But ultimately, that’s — I trust him. He’s going to handle it and if it’s something that’s serious, he’ll bring it to me, otherwise, I just — I handle my business, getting this team ready to play the next week."

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him@davebirkett.
                  My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell: 'You always guard yourself against' sign-stealing

Dave Birkett
                    Detroit Free Press

Dan Campbell said the Detroit Lions and most other NFL teams try to guard against sign-stealing operations like the one involving the Michigan football program by regularly changing their audibles.

“You always guard yourself against them, and that’s probably the name of the game,” Campbell said Friday. “I think everybody’s looking for any advantage they can get, so you just have to have enough dummy signals and dummy audibles and things of that nature to where you keep them honest, they don’t entirely know what’s coming.”

Michigan football is under NCAA investigation for violating rules against off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents.

Connor Stalions, an analyst in the team’s recruiting department whose job duties include deciphering opponents’ signals, according to ESPN, was suspended Friday as part of the investigation, the university announced.

Stalions graduated from the United States Naval Academy and was a captain in the Marine Corps before joining Michigan’s staff in 2022, the network reported.

In the NFL, teams regularly send pro scouts to watch their future opponents play, and their reports are incorporated into game plans. But signal stealing is less of an issue in the NFL because teams use headset communication devices to relay offensive and defensive play calls.

Campbell said the Lions and other NFL teams do spend time trying to decipher audibles that are picked up on television microphones during the broadcast of games.

“We all look at that,” he said. “I mean that’s a — we have a number of guys that look at TV copies and everything else, just like they do. I mean they’re doing the same, every team’s doing it. See if you can pick up any little nugget, code words, quarterback says something, linebacker’s making a call, O-line, D-line. And so, any nugget you feel like you can pick up, you would like to use. But there again, there’s always — you’ll always sprinkle in, on both sides of the ball, dummy calls and that’s part of it.”

To keep opponents honest, Campbell said the Lions tweak their audibles weekly, but “not everything.”

The Lions (5-1) play the Baltimore Ravens (4-2) on Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

“There’ll be just a few things that we change every week,” he said. “Not everything, but enough to where if we feel like somebody’s getting a beat on us, we will, on both sides of the ball.”

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• A belated Happy Birthday to a Lions legend:

My friend Ken L

Comment

• In 2011 we were also 5-1, in year 3 of the Schwartz. Schwartz and Mayhew inherited 0-16.

I know we already know all this, just posting for comparison.

The Lions had finished strong in 2010 heading into 2011, and started 2011 strong. But by this time that whole regime had already peaked and the organization was heading downhill never to recover again under Schwartz.

What I notice that's different about 2023 vs 2011 is that 2011 was pretty bipolar. They blew teams out and got themselves blown out also. They managed to salvage some blowout losses into epic comebacks by going off script. The current Lions are much better on script than the 2011 Lions. The 2011 Lions lack of a run game was what ultimately doomed the whole thing.
                        "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                        Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Detroit Lions' X-factor isn't a player, or a coach, you may be thinking about: Dave Fipp

Jeff Seidel
                          Detroit Free Press

You can’t help but smile around Detroit Lions special teams coach Dave Fipp.

“That's my man,” Lions cornerback Chase Lucas said, sitting at his locker and breaking into a wide smile. “I love Fipp. He's just a high, energetic person. He’s gonna be the same way on Mondays as he is on game day. He's ready to go man.”

If Brad Holmes is the brains of the Lions organization, and Chris Spielman is the soul, and Dan Campbell is the heart, then Fipp is a full can of Red Bull optimism.

Because he is a fun, energetic, charismatic, infectious, music-lovin’, wisdom-droppin’, storytellin’ dude.

“He loves ball,” linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez said. “You can tell he loves his job. He's one of the best. He knows what he's talking about. He's a smart guy.”

While so much focus has been on the Lions' versatile, multipronged offense and its improved defense, the special teams unit, at some point, is going to be the difference in a huge game.

There is reason to be optimistic that Fipp’s unit can flip a game at a clutch moment. It might be Jack Fox pinning the ball deep. Half of Fox’s 22 punts have pinned teams inside their own 20-yard line, which is tied for fifth in the NFL.

Or it might be Kalif Raymond busting a huge punt return. Raymond has averaged 11.7 yards per punt return since 2021, which ranks fourth in the NFL.

Or it might be the kickoff coverage unit making an impact on field position — Detroit is holding opposing kickoff return teams to the 22.9-yard line, best in the NFL.

Or it might be putting linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin in position to make a hit — he has seven special teams tackles, second most in the NFL.

"Fipp has a lot of information in his head," Reeves-Maybin said. "He's able to draw on that, and I think it helps him. He sees stuff on the field and he can predict how the play is going to play out."

Or maybe it will be pulling out a trick play — the Lions are 7-for-8 in fake punts under Fipp.

But there is reason for a level of caution because the Lions lack a strong-legged kicker. Placekicker Riley Patterson has proved to be consistent from close range (7-for-7 from inside the 40) but he hasn’t made anything longer than 38 yards. Shoot, he has only attempted one kick beyond 40 and he missed it, last weekend against the Bucs.

At some point, in a close game, the lack of a big leg could hurt the Lions.

And that is even more obvious this week because the Lions are playing the Baltimore Ravens, who have Justin Tucker, Mr. 66-Yard Doinker — just an incredible threat who changes how the Ravens approach the middle of the field.

“Special teams is important,” Fipp said. “When you get into these bigger games, man, it’s going to take all three phases and at some point you’re going to have to come through and make some plays."

​'A great coach'

When you study the timeline, there is no coincidence on when Fipp was hired.

The Lions announced Campbell was hired on Jan. 20, 2021. Six days later, in one of his first moves, Campbell hired Fipp, who came to Detroit, after eight seasons in the same job with the Philadelphia Eagles, with the reputation of being one of the best special teams coordinators in the league; He has done nothing to change that image.

“He's a great coach,” Fox said. “He's a grinder. People might not know that. He's like one of the hardest workers that I've seen in the building.”

As a special teams coordinator, Fipp is the one person on the coaching staff, other than Campbell, who is involved with players across the entire roster.

He uses players from both offense and defense. But Fipp also has an interesting perspective about other teams because he studies the back end of every roster.

His take on the Ravens?

"They’ve got a bunch of guys with good skill sets and they’re all a little bit different,” Fipp said.

Fipp talks about having elite skills. If you aren't elite-level fast, you'd better be elite-level physical.

And the Ravens have players who can fly. And some others who are powerful.

Which makes Sunday's matchup for the Lions so difficult.

X-factor for success

Once a week, Fipp talks to the media, and those appearances have turned into must-see events. A discussion about a single play can morph into a discussion about the Marines, which can morph into a discussion about country music.

"I love music, man," Fipp said. "My favorite part of music is the stories. It’s the same thing I love about these players, all these stories.”

His own story is interesting. How he went from a walk-on at Arizona to coaching in the NFL.

But he still carries the attitude of a walk-on.

Full of humility and motivation. Never taking anything for granted.

“He’s hilarious,” linebacker and special teamer Anthony Pittman said. “He brings the juice every day. He's always got a random story to tell. But there is always a lesson behind it, too. The lesson is just being grateful for where you are. Never take anything for granted. Remember where you came from."

Much has been made about the new culture around the Lions.

But it was created in a series of moves that all add up.

Like the moment Campbell brought in Fipp.

He’s one of the X-factors that has changed everything. And his unit is an X-factor on how this season will play out.

"Ultimately, man, we’re here, blessed, and feel good about it, so we’re excited," he said Thursday. "This is really why you coach, there’s an opportunity to go play against Baltimore in a big game where they’re good on special teams and all that stuff, so it should be fun."

And when Fipp wrapped up his remarks on Thursday — when he was basically pulled off the mic by a PR staffer who had to set an alarm to end it — all the reporters kind of exhaled and sat back.

And smiled.

Yes, everybody was smiling.

Contact Jeff Seidel at jseidel@freepress.com or follow him @seideljeff.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
                            In 2011 we were also 5-1, in year 3 of the Schwartz. Schwartz and Mayhew inherited 0-16.

I know we already know all this, just posting for comparison.

The Lions had finished strong in 2010 heading into 2011, and started 2011 strong. But by this time that whole regime had already peaked and the organization was heading downhill never to recover again under Schwartz.

What I notice that's different about 2023 vs 2011 is that 2011 was pretty bipolar. They blew teams out and got themselves blown out also. They managed to salvage some blowout losses into epic comebacks by going off script. The current Lions are much better on script than the 2011 Lions. The 2011 Lions lack of a run game was what ultimately doomed the whole thing.
                            Jim Schwartz' teams were very passionate and played with alot of emotion, but were very undisciplined....They had awful penalties all the time...This team really doesnt do that.

Comment

• Punchless Lions routed by Ravens in heavyweight matchup of division leaders

Justin Rogers
                              The Detroit News

Baltimore — In a battle of division leaders, you could have reasonably expected a heavyweight slugfest. Instead, you got a Mike Tyson fight from the late 1980's. The Baltimore Ravens delivered the equivalent of a violent, first-round knockout, jumping out to a 28-0 lead before the Detroit Lions even mustered their initial first down, cruising to a 38-6 win at M&T Bank Stadium on Sunday.

From the jump, the Lions (5-2) had no answer for quarterback Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense. The home team needed just seven plays to drive 75 yards for a touchdown with the game's opening possession. Establishing a pair of themes that persisted throughout a dominant opening half, Jackson struck with both his feet and big throws downfield.

On the game's third snap, Jackson sat calmly in the pocket and dropped a long throw to rookie receiver Zay Flowers across the middle, between layers of Detroit's zone coverage. The shifty slot receiver more than doubled the damage after making the grab before he was brought down in the red zone after a 46-yard gain.

Jackson used his dual-threat ability to cap the scoring drive, keeping the ball after faking a handoff on a fourth-and-1 play, racing around the left edge of his line as multiple Lions defenders collapsed on the running back.

It wasn't quite as efficient on Baltimore's next possession, but the result was the same. Jackson again used his feet and his arm to take his offense down the field, converting an early third-down with a 16-yard pass to receiver Rashod Bateman before scrambling to convert a second. Then, on third-and-3 in the red zone, the Lions collapsed the quarterback's pocket, but he calmly broke contain, rolled to his right, squared up and connected with receiver Nelson Agholor for a 12-yard touchdown and a 14-0 lead, following the extra point.

As Detroit's offense continued to flounder, Baltimore's couldn't be slowed. Despite getting pinned at their own 8-yard line, they needed just eight plays to return to the end zone for a third straight possession. Jackson connected on throws of more than 20 yards to Odell Beckham Jr., Flowers and fullback Patrick Ricard before hitting tight end Mark Andrews on a 11-yard catch-and-run out of motion that extended the Ravens' early lead to 21.

That turned into a 28-point edge a little more than five minutes later when the Ravens (5-2) racked up 56 yards on three runs to open their next drive. That set up a 22-yard completion to Andrews down to the 2-yard line, and two plays later, running back Gus Edwards plowed across the goal line.

Detroit finally managed to pick up a first down midway through the second quarter, but faltered near midfield and turned it over on downs.

The Ravens proved the only ones capable of stopping them in the first half was themselves, giving it back to the Lions on a botched handoff that was recovered by Aidan Hutchison. But after driving into field-goal range, Detroit was driven back by intentional grounding and holding penalties, allowing the Ravens to maintain their shutout going into the half.

Through two quarters, Jackson completed 17 of his 21 throws for 255 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing for 26 yards and a score as the Ravens outgained the Lions, 357 yards to 97. He was pulled late in the fourth quarter having thrown for 355 yards and three touchdowns with a just-shy-of-perfect 155.8 passer rating.

The Lions put together their best series coming out of the locker room, but again came away with zero points after quarterback Jared Goff had three straight incompletions from the Baltimore 6-yard line, resulting in a second turnover on downs.

The Ravens, meanwhile, continued to pour it on with their opening possession of the second half as Edwards leaked out of the backfield uncovered on play-action and took a short throw from Jackson 80 yards down the right sideline. Two snaps later, Andrews got free on a post pattern for an 11-yard score, his second of the day.

Detroit finally managed to get on the board early in the fourth quarter after rookie running back Jahmyr Gibbs got around the left side of his formation for a 21-yard touchdown run, the first of the first-round draft pick's career. A failed two-point conversion left the lopsided score 35-6 with 13:59 remaining.

An unsuccessful onside kick led to a final score for the Ravens, this time in the form of a 32-yard Justin Tucker field goal.

Even with the loss, the Lions remain in control of the NFC North division. They'll look to get back on track next Monday night against the Las Vegas Raiders before heading into the team's bye week.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @Justin_Rogers

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions come crashing down against unstoppable Baltimore Ravens

Jeff Seidel
                                Detroit Free Press

BALTIMORE — Ugh.

As in, that was ugh-ly.

The Baltimore Ravens crushed the Lions on Sunday, 38-6, snapping the Detroit Lions’ four-game winning streak, putting a sharp pin in all the hype and excitement and bringing them back to Earth.

Of course, the Lions couldn’t even do that right.

This felt like a crash landing.

The Ravens played with emotion and precision; the Lions made mistakes all over the place.

The Ravens were tough; the Lions couldn’t do anything right.

The Ravens were simply unstoppable; the Lions couldn’t get out of their own way.

What an embarrassment for the Lions.

What an amazing performance by Baltimore quarterback Lamar Jackson, who was the best player on the field.

Jackson completed 21 of 27 passes for 357 yards and three touchdowns, ran it nine times for 36 more and a touchdown, turning it into a rout.

In the first half.

One play summed it up: Jackson dropped back to pass and put on his invisible blanket, making him all but disappear.

He pushed forward into the pocket and it kind of collapsed around him. But the Lions couldn’t find him, much less grab him or even stop him.

So Jackson sprinted out of the pocket, rolling to his right, showing all kinds of patience. Because, well, he was still invisible.

The play felt like it lasted 20 seconds — or longer — but it was closer to 10.

And it’s nearly impossible to cover receivers that long.

Jackson slammed on the brakes and then found Nelson Agholor in the back of the end zone.

Touchdown, Ravens.

The Lions had no answer to stop Jackson, even though they tried a little bit of everything. They sat back in a zone. That didn’t work.

They brought pressure. But that didn’t work either.

Only Baltimore stopped Baltimore.

Detroit's defense had nothing to do with it.

When the Lions rushed three with Jack Campbell as a spy assigned to stop Jackson, this Superman quarterback simply sat back and picked apart the defense.

Another time, the Lions brought the house, rushing six. And Jackson threw to his house — 28 yards to Patrick Ricard, all 6 feet 3 and 305 pounds of him, who was so open it was crazy.

At times, it almost didn’t seem fair. Like the Ravens were just messing with the Lions' defense.

Jackson sprinted to the right, with a whole bunch of blocking in front of him.

A run? Right?

The Lions defense came flying up, hoping to tackle him.

But Jackson stopped and flicked the ball to tight end Mark Andrews who was wide open and picked up 22 yards, setting up the Ravens' fourth touchdown of the first half.

It was so bad, so dominant, that when the Lions finally go their first first down midway through the second quarter, a Lions fan wearing an Aidan Hutchinson jersey stood up and celebrated wildly.

This was a day to celebrate small achievements.

And even those were rare.

One of the few times the Lions actually reached Jackson, Hutchinson was flagged for roughing the passer on a low hit.

The halftime stats were almost absurd.

First downs: Ravens 18, Lions 4.

Total yards: Ravens 355, Lions 97.

Yards rushing: Ravens 100, Lions 13.

Great plays: Jackson, too many to count; Lions zippo.

Meanwhile, the Lions made mistake after mistake.

Late in the second quarter, the Lions started to move the ball but an intentional grounding penalty, followed by a hold, killed the drive. The Lions got into the red zone early in the third quarter but couldn’t convert on fourth down.

So how should you view this?

It would be crazy to think the Lions could go into Kansas City, Tampa, Green Bay and Baltimore and sweep all of them.

And every team has a bad game.

But this?

This was so bad, so ugly, so absurd, that it was hard to remember that the Lions still have a winning record.

Still have a great shot to make the playoffs.

As long as they can learn from this.

Contact Jeff Seidel at jseidel@freepress.com or follow him @seideljeff.

My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X