X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niyo: Lions' NFL 'takeover' just getting started

John Niyo
    The Detroit News

Allen Park — It’s not just that the Lions are sailing into uncharted territory here, though each week we do get a raft of statistical reminders telling us just how rare all this winning is for the franchise.

No, it’s the way the Lions and their fans are plundering and pillaging these NFL cities along the way —metaphorically, at least — that stands out as much as anything in a 5-1 start to this season.

And it was fitting, really, that this latest scene in Tampa came with a replica pirate ship at Raymond James Stadium, where an estimated 25,000 Lions fans flooded the Buccaneers’ home and turned it into a sea of Honolulu blue Sunday afternoon.

By the time Dan Campbell’s team had put the finishing touches on another dominant effort — winning their fourth consecutive game by 14 points or more for the first time since 1969 — about all that remained were Detroit fans. Nearly an hour after the clock expired, the stadium concourse still was filled with folks in Lions jerseys celebrating a 20-6 victory. And that sort of thing is beginning to feel strangely commonplace. Almost like a tradition.

The Lions, who have finished with a winning road record just twice since 2000, are now 3-0 on the road this season, with Thursday night prime-time victories at Kansas City and Green Bay — the two toughest places to play in the NFL over the last five years — followed by Sunday’s win in Tampa, where they took down another first-place team. And when Lions head coach Dan Campbell was asked Monday to explain all that newfound success away from home — his team has won four straight road games, and seven of its last eight, dating to last November — he offered a clever caveat.

“Well, first of all, they're not really road games,” Campbell said, breaking into a huge grin. “That’s what it feels like, anyway.”

It sure does, and strange as it might seem, that feeling is going to be hard to shake from here on out. How many times have we said this over the years, when talking about the Lions and their loyal fans? Can you imagine what it’ll be like if they ever get good? Well, now we’re seeing it, and so is the rest of the league. The national pundits are talking about it. Marveling at it, even, while the Lions’ players and coaches simply revel in it.

'Our fans have been awesome'

“Our fans have been awesome,” receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown said — again — after Sunday’s bruising win in Tampa. “It kinda felt like a home game for us. They were making some noise.”

It was loud at the end in Kansas City, where all this fun started this season. It was louder still in Green Bay, where the Lions embarrassed a divisional rival on the field and in the stands. Then on Sunday, it reached a new level in Tampa.

The kind of level few franchises in this league ever hit with this sort of rabid repetition. Teams with a rich history of success are at the top of that list: Pittsburgh, Dallas, Green Bay and San Francisco all have a legion of fans that show up to support their team in various cities on the road.

But when I asked Campbell, who once played for the Cowboys, if he’d ever seen anything quite like what he has seen this past month, he shook his head.

“Not like this,” he said. “No, not like this. Dallas travels well, of course. But not like this. I mean, over these three road games, there's kind of a takeover here. It feels that way. I mean, this was just another game where you walk out and it's a sea of blue. And then by the time the third quarter hits, you can hear ’em.”

That last part, of course, is a direct result of his team’s play. It’s easier to drown out the home fans when they’re heading to the parking lot because their team is down by a couple touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

But it’s really not an exaggeration when Campbell and some of the Lions’ defensive players talk about the crowd noise being in their favor late in some of these road games.

“I said this last night: Their offense is out there and I swear they're about to go to silent cadence in their own home, because it's so loud,” Campbell said. “Man, that's something else. Seriously, this is … it's pretty awesome.”

Hidden advantage

It’s a hidden advantage, certainly. And we’ll see how well it travels again this week in Baltimore, where a banged-up Lions team will face another first-place team in the 4-2 Ravens, who are coming off a trip to London and haven’t played a home game since Sept. 24. But win or lose Sunday, there are bound to be more true-blue takeovers the rest of the way.

There’s a Nov. 12 road date against the Chargers in Los Angeles, where visitors always find a home, and a Dec. 3 trip to New Orleans that many fans probably booked before the season. Then come divisional games at Chicago and Minnesota, two teams that may already be in the tank by then.

And for a fanbase that has been deprived of a home playoff game for three decades, there’s no telling the lengths they’ll go to make that happen. They may not be welcomed as the loveable losers they once were, but that’s fine. That’s another sign of progress for this new Lions regime.

“I do think just the energy that it presents … that's what you want, man,” Campbell said. “You want the fans to feel like they're riding the wave with us, you know? And we're on the high side right now. They are all in and they're a part of it.

"I mean, I get texts all the time from friends and family and they refer to things like, ‘Our receivers did a helluva job.’ You know, it's ‘our.’ And I feel like that's where our fans are. ‘This is ours,’ you know? And ‘our guys are doing this. … That's what it's about.”

And from the Lions' perspective, it's about time the rest of the NFL sees it, and hears it.

john.niyo@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @JohnNiyo

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Last edited by whatever_gong82; October 16, 2023, 09:14 PM.
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

I love those clips. This one was great to me because of Lomas Brown's reaction to the block.
              Last edited by CGVT; October 16, 2023, 09:29 PM.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

I love those clips. This one was great to me because of Lomas' Brown's reaction to the block.
                Thanks.

I like finding this stuff, and posting anything from the Freep, Detroit News, and the Athletic, along with a few articles here and there from the LA Times, Boston Globe, or Washington Post whenever those papers say anything nice about the Detroit Lions.
                My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions next opponent: Harbaugh's Ravens struggling to be top-tier team

(This article is courtesy of the Detroit News via the Baltimore Sun, so that the Forum can have the other team's viewpoint. whatever_gong82.)

Mike Preston
                  Baltimore Sun

It’s hard to tell where the Ravens fit in the NFL picture because there are few good teams.

Maybe there are four, but three would be a safe bet right now. The San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs are the top teams, and then there is a significant drop-off.

The Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills might be in the next tier, and then there is another drop-off.

Where are the Ravens? It’s yet to be determined heading into Sunday's game against the Lions at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore (1 p.m., Fox/97.1).

Right now, they are nomads in search of an identity. They have potential, but with the exception of the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals, so do 28 other teams.

How good the Ravens look depends on the half. They totaled 242 yards of total offense and scored on their first four drives against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, and then the offense disappeared in the second half before the team held on for a 24-16 victory.

“Well, right now it’s a process,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said after the game. “At this point in time, it’s an early season. No championships are won in Week 4, Week 5 or Week 6. We’re kind of looking in terms of what we are capable of becoming. We lost some games we should have won. We played good football in stretches, but we made mistakes. We’ve shot ourselves in the foot way too many times.

“What success looks like right now is heart, the ability to overcome adversity, keep fighting till the end, find a way to win, make plays when it counts and to keep improving. We keep improving, at some point in time you get over the top, you break out and you start winning by larger margins. That’s what we’re going to try to do.”

That’s the goal, but the Ravens haven’t been able to put together a full 60 minutes of football in two years. Since the start of last season, they are tied with the Las Vegas Raiders for the most blown double-digit leads with five.

In the NFL, a lot of teams break out of their pregame huddles by saying the word “win.” With the Ravens, it’s “when,” as is when is this team going to finally put it together? The Ravens gave up 10 third-quarter points Sunday to allow the Titans to pull within 18-13, but they should have been up by a lot more.

The Ravens have already lost to teams they should have beaten easily in the Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers, so it brings me back to my earlier question: When?

It’s early in the season and the Ravens are supposed to be making progress, but it’s hard to see. There are almost as many questions now as there were when training camp opened in late July.

The injuries to starters are understandable because that’s a part of the game, but this lack of concentration from one half to another is certainly not.

Right now, the Ravens can win against a lot of the teams in the NFL, but it’s a mystery why they can’t dominate teams they should beat, or why they lose in the first round of the postseason.

Maybe they just aren’t good enough.

They spent a lot of money in the offseason bringing in free agent receivers Nelson Agholor and Odell Beckham Jr., and so far they’ve added little – certainly not their money’s worth. They hired coordinator Todd Monken to put new life into the offense in February and then gave quarterback Lamar Jackson a five-year, $260 million contract two months later.

This offense, though, is in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde mode.

One half it shows up, and then the next it disappears. Jackson has made progress, but his only consistent weapons have been rookie receiver Zay Flowers and tight end Mark Andrews.

Defensively, the Ravens’ front seven can play with almost any team in the NFL, but they haven’t played a quality or healthy quarterback all season. The health of safety Marcus Williams still appears to be in question and cornerback Marlon Humphrey is better on the inside than the outside.

Outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney is having a strong season, but there are concerns about the 30-year-old’s longevity after 10 years in the league. There are times when you wonder whether the Ravens can keep pace with high-powered offenses such as those in Kansas City with quarterback Patrick Mahomes or in Buffalo with signal-caller Josh Allen or in Miami with its abundance of speed.

On Sunday, it seemed as if Harbaugh finally started to move away from his usual aggressive philosophy. Instead, he sent out the best kicker in NFL history in Justin Tucker to attempt six field goals.

That probably won’t get it done in the postseason, but it was enough to beat the Titans instead of relying on Jackson and an erratic offense. The Ravens were still 1-for-6 in the red zone and had only 118 yards of total offense in the second half.

This can’t continue.

“It’s just another win, but it was the most important win because it was the opportunity that we had today,” Beckham said. “I think our group of people knows exactly where we’re at and where we’re supposed to be. There’s always that goal to keep working and keep climbing.”

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• it’s absolutely magical to watch this and it’s spot on.

McAfee had a direct hit of a quote about this team. “The Detroit Lions players are playing FOR the guy next to you not playing WITH the guy next to you”

This is so much fun

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I'm wondering when the Lions sign Leonard Fournette. He's the perfect addition to pain with Gibbs while Monty recovers. At worst they can bring Benny Snell back but Fournette has upside.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

Nice 👌
                            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• The Detroit Lions provided behind-the-scenes footage of Brad Holmes, Ray Agnew and the rest of the front office reacting to Amon-Ra St. Brown’s and Jameson Williams’ TDs vs. the Buccaneers.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Okudah needed a fresh start but he’s one I wish the Lions would have kept around for this last year.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X