No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lions will have to bring in a OLinemen, a cb or safety and possibly an RB at this point if they want to make a run

continual attrition will eventually create losses.
    Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
      Jim Harbaugh 'proven right': Detroit Lions' Aidan Hutchinson deserved No. 1 NFL draft pick
      Gabriela Carroll
      USA TODAY NETWORK

Aidan Hutchinson is already one of the NFL's best defensive players — in Year 2 of his career.
      Detroit Lions fans won't begrudge his draft spot after he fell to No. 2 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, after the Jacksonville Jaguars drafted Georgia's Travon Walker No. 1.
      But Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh has kept receipts. He reminded everyone Monday, one day after Hutchinson made an athletic interception against Panthers quarterback Bryce Young, that his former star defensive end deserved to be the top pick in the draft.

“I did comment that Aidan Hutchinson should be the No. 1 pick in the Draft," Harbaugh said. "I think I was right on that one as well. Did you see that interception he made on the screen pass? That one-hander? Wow! So proud of him and the amazing job he's doing. Statistics reflect very well, too, in what he's added to the Lions. Darn exciting to be a football fan in Michigan right now.”​

It’s too bad Jim Harbaugh’s former 49ers GM Trent Baalke didn’t listen…
      Jim Harbaugh says Aidan Hutchinson is going to be the No. 1 pick 👀 | #shorts#ESPN #Heisman #NFLDraft✔️Subscribe to ESPN+ http://espnplus.com/youtube✔️ Get ...
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

It’s too bad Jim Harbaugh’s former 49ers GM Trent Baalke didn’t listen…
        https://youtube.com/shorts/5ByVd_45J...VvZTDfXK8YYTP9
        I'm glad that Baalke is in Jacksonville instead of Detroit.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
          My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Did you see Craig Reynolds trying to sub out at the goal line and they wouldn't let him? They wanted him to get that TD.

Comment

• Didn't notice that NOL. That's cool.
                  GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Does Isaiah Thomas ever age? That man still looks like he could play and he has to be close to 60.....

Comment

• The Ringer just published an article evaluating the NFC Superbowl contenders

There is an writer for The Ringer who consistently poorly evaluates Goff and the Lions, but it is not this writer. (When I say poorly evaluates I mean it in both senses. He gives Goff poor marks because he poorly understands how good Goff is.). However, The Ringer staff in general has taken time to figure out that the Lions are legit. This article is probably the first where they officially acknowledge it.

Anyway, I recommend reading the whole article if you have the time. He discusses the 4 legit NFC contenders (Dallas, SF, Philly & Detroit) and evaluates how they match up with one another.

Detroit Lions (4-1)

I saved Detroit for last because this is the team I understand least of this group. And that’s more of an exposure problem than anything else. We just haven’t seen the Lions play a big game late in the season. Nor have we seen this iteration go up against the other NFC contenders. They did give the Eagles a competitive game in the 2022 opener, but this Detroit team is not the same as that one.

On paper, Detroit is the most balanced team in the conference. The Lions are the only NFC club that ranks in the top five in offensive and defensive DVOA. Not even the all-powerful 49ers can make that claim. And EPA metrics paint a similar picture. The Lions rank seventh in EPA per pass and seventh in EPA per run, according to TruMedia. The defense is ninth against the run and 14th against the pass.

That pass defense is a worry that needs to be addressed by the trade deadline if the Lions are going to make up ground on the 49ers and Eagles. Detroit has the draft capital to swing a trade for a cornerback—general manager Brad Holmes should be calling Denver about Patrick Surtain II every single day until the Week 9 deadline—and if they do, we might have to get used to a world in which the Lions can realistically make a Super Bowl.

Hell, we might already be there thanks to offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, who has proved that his breakout campaign in 2022 was no fluke. Johnson continues to add layers to his scheme, which has helped him (and Jared Goff) stay a step ahead of defensive coordinators. There’s a little bit of everything here: The Sean McVay influence has been clear for some time, but there’s also some Sean Payton in there, a hint of Mike McDaniel, and even a bit of Matt Canada—though Johnson’s version of Canada’s plays actually works. Johnson isn’t afraid to copy other coaches’ homework, and that’s what makes him such a great play caller.

But play-calling can take you only so far when you’re chasing Philly, San Francisco, and Dallas in the talent department. Even if, on paper, the Lions have the running game to play with the 49ers, the passing game to exploit the weak spots of the Eagles defense, and the pass rush to disrupt the Cowboys offense, we still haven’t seen those elements in practice. Detroit and Dallas are scheduled to play in December—but we’ll have to wait until January to see how the Lions match up with the NFC’s two best teams.
                      Note: Yes, he fails to recognize the importance of the Packers game to close the 2022 season. Like I said, they've been clueless about the Lions as a staff, but are knowledgeable overall.

Comment

• Yo be honest that’s because Green Bay is not even in the same ball park as San Fran or Philadelphia.
                        The Packers, Vikings, and Seahawks were going to be exposed. The Lions exposed Green Bay before any other team got the chance.
                        As much as I would like to dream I still can’t see the Lions beating a health 49er team on the road.

Comment

• I think the Lions can beat Dallas on the road in late December this year if healthy.
                          I can see Lions beat Philly if playing in Detroit and maybe even in Philly.
                          But San Fran, no, I don’t see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                            I think the Lions can beat Dallas on the road in late December this year if healthy.
                            I can see Lions beat Philly if playing in Detroit and maybe even in Philly.
                            But San Fran, no, I don’t see it.
                            If San Fran is vulnerable to anything, it's getting dominated at the line of scrimmage and getting worn down defensively. The Lions can do that.

Offensively, it's a matter of getting pressure on Purdy without having to blitz. Again, the Lions can do that.

Would I consider them a favorite against the Niners? Oh hell no. But they'd have a puncher's chance against even them. They'd at least put up a better fight than Dallas.

Comment

• A hypothetical matchup with the Niners in the playoffs heavily relies on where the game is. Also who is healthy. The Lions can't afford to give up winnable games. They have one of the weaker schedules for the rest of the season, if they are going to compete against the Niners or Eagles, make them come to Ford Field.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

If San Fran is vulnerable to anything, it's getting dominated at the line of scrimmage and getting worn down defensively. The Lions can do that.

Offensively, it's a matter of getting pressure on Purdy without having to blitz. Again, the Lions can do that.

Would I consider them a favorite against the Niners? Oh hell no. But they'd have a puncher's chance against even them. They'd at least put up a better fight than Dallas.
                                Strong disagree on the Niners. They sub in and out all day and that’s a line full of first rounders. They are nasty and keep coming and coming. Bosa for example can play much less snaps than Hutch (who plays too many for my liking).

They are not an easy team to wear down, especially in the D line.

Comment

Working...
                                X