No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that green thing sticking out of Brian Branch's helmet?

Nolan Bianchi
    The Detroit News

Allen Park — At long last, we finally have an answer to why Detroit Lions rookie Brian Branch has a green mouthpiece sticking out of his helmet.

Branch, the No. 45 overall pick in April's NFL Draft, explained Tuesday that he's kept the green mouthpiece in one of the holes of his helmet since college.

"Just really like, I'll put it up there because I can't really breathe with it in," Branch said. "The green, I've always pretty much wore a green mouthpiece. It has a deeper meaning, but I can't really share."

Lions fans started to take notice of the mouthguard early on in his tenure, but it grabbed national attention as of late, starting with his pick-six of Kansas City quarterback Patrick Mahomes in the opener, and became the calling card of his on-field aesthetic. It's likely to only pick up more steam, as Branch continues to establish himself in the league. Last Sunday against Atlanta, he had a game-high 11 tackles with three for loss.

There is nothing about the look that Branch likes, specifically. It's just where he likes to put it.

"Shoot, I guess that's probably gonna be my little trademark about something," Branch said.

Asked if he ever wears the mouthpiece, Branch said not really. He said he sometimes wears it more against running teams, when he knows he's going to be hitting a lot. Or that would be the plan, anyway.

"I thought I was going to put it in this week because they ran the ball a lot," Branch said. "But nah, if I didn't put it in this week, I probably won't put it in. Yeah, that was a running team, so, I guess not."

Fans have started to imply that it could be an antenna for knowing where to make the plays. He didn't deny it.

"It could be," he said.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

X: @nolanbianchi

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• I honestly thought it was supposed to be ... ya know ... A BRANCH
      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Wear your jock strap on your head as long as you keep blowing up running backs.
        Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I guess it would depend on what they have to give up to get him. He is special for sure.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• He already wants out of Oakland?

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                He already wants out of Oakland?
                Oakland isn’t a team
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                  Have you guys looked at that contract!?!? Hell no

its cool that we’re a destination though! When the hell have you ever seen that with the Lions!
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Adams is amazing, and even though he turns 31, I think his game will age very well. Spotrac has his dead cap hit at $54M this year, that seems entirely untenable for the Raiders, but maybe there is some cap voodoo that can be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Oakland isn’t a team
                      Neither is Las Vegas.
                      "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                      Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• He’s due 25 mil next year and 40 mil each of the next 2 years that he’ll never see but that dead cap money will be legit
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Have you guys looked at that contract!?!? Hell no

its cool that we’re a destination though! When the hell have you ever seen that with the Lions!
                          There's an out after year 3 (2025) that makes it not as terrible as it seems. The 26/27 years where his cap hit is $44M will never happen. Any team that trades for him will change that.

Comment

• If it’s a second rounder and he reworks that shit, I’d probably do it. Our team is legit and he’s a game changer. Push the chips in on this year.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

He’s due 25 mil next year and 40 mil each of the next 2 years that he’ll never see but that dead cap money will be legit
                              but if we trade for the guy doesn't LV eat the dead cap on the signing bonus (and the "restructure bonus")? Adams' next year's salary is guaranteed at 16.8m (which is a steal for a guy like Adams).

It depends what they'd want in return....but yeah.

Comment

• But it looks to me like the raiders would take a 48m dead cap hit (which they could probably cut in half and pay half next year)

Comment

Working...
                                X