No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is Jared Goff worth? The Lions need to figure that out.

This is from yesterday's Washington Post. I took a day off from the Detroit Lions and I'm posting it here right now.

By Jason La Canfora

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

A cynic, or someone unaware of Jared Goff’s midcareer renaissance, might look at his ugly pick six Sunday as the reason the Detroit Lions lost at home to the underdog Seattle Seahawks.

Others would note that it was actually the first interception Goff has thrown in nearly 400 passes dating back to last season, and point out that the Lions’ rebirth is very much of his making, with Goff arguably the most impactful player in uniform at Ford Field Sunday. And had the Lions’ defense been able to hold Seattle to a field goal in overtime, there was every reason to believe that the 28-year-old Goff would have eventually won it himself. Because while Goff’s errant fourth-quarter pass behind rookie back Jahmyr Gibbs — coming right after the Seahawks had scored a go-ahead touchdown — put his team down 10 with slightly more than eight minutes to play, what he did after that epitomizes the paradox the Lions face moving forward.

Goff, the NFL’s sixth-highest rated quarterback since the start of the 2022 season with the league’s best touchdown-to-interception ratio in that span (4.1, more than twice the NFL average, with Jalen Hurts next at 3.4), was masterful in getting that game to overtime. He immediately orchestrated a 75-yard touchdown drive after his mistake, and completed 8 of 10 passes for 86 yards his final two possessions. He finished the game a sterling 28 of 35 for 323 yards with three touchdowns, the huge interception (ending a streak of 383 attempts without one) and a rating of 121.8.

It is perhaps fitting that he joins Matthew Stafford — the Rams QB for whom he was “traded” in 2021 (Goff’s inclusion was viewed by rival teams as essentially as a contract dump at the time) — and Kirk Cousins, who several executives see as a potential Goff salary comparison, as the only men to throw for at least 250 yards in each of the first two weeks of what’s been an ugly start for NFL passers. While we can debate how transcendent he is, whether he’s merely a “system guy,” and if the Lions should have already extended him during an offseason of soaring QB contracts, all can agree that Goff has greatly outperformed what’s remaining on his contract, casting an intriguing backdrop to a Lions season that’s already far more interesting than the two dozen or so preceding it.

“I keep hearing they really want to get something done with him,” said one general manager, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is restricted from discussing players on other rosters. “They want to keep building around him. I know he’s played well for them, but I don’t think I could pay what it’s going to take to get that done. That’s a tricky one. How good is he? It’s like Cousins, right? He’s going to put up a lot of numbers and you’ll win enough in the regular season, but can you win a Super Bowl with him?”

One longtime NFL executive who negotiates contracts and is under similar restraints said: “With where quarterback salaries are now, I wouldn’t do it. I’d have already drafted one or be looking to draft one. It’s getting too expensive to keep these kind of guys now.” (This executive’s team has a QB on a rookie salary.)

A contract negotiator for another NFL team that has a QB on a rookie deal, said: “That one’s not for me. I’m biased because I’ve never thought much of Goff. No thanks.”

Of course, that’s easy for them to say. It’s not their problem, with Goff now standing just 16th among QBs in average salary ($33.5 million), 16th in 2023 total compensation ($21.65 million), and, you guessed it, right in the middle of the pack in cash owed in 2024. This after Joe Burrow pushed the new stratosphere to $55 million a season, and Patrick Mahomes got a restructured deal with more than $210 million guaranteed over the next four years. So, what’s Goff really worth?

“Good question,” said someone who has been involved in negotiating quarterback contracts for decades. (This person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he does not represent Goff.) “If top of the market is now $52-$55 [million per season], I’d say mid-to high 40s.”

The GM said: “As much as I wouldn’t want to pay him, the agent has to ask for $45 [million], right? You have to be prepared to pay that number if you go into this with them, I think. And, like I said, I hear [the Lions] want to get this done.”

Indeed, Goff’s value is difficult to quantify.

Rams wunderkind coach Sean McVay, of all people, handpicked him first overall in 2016 and quickly reached a Super Bowl with him, before the Rams paid him more than many thought they had to (a four-year, $134 million deal with steep cap ramifications). McVay’s Rams ate much of that to ship him out and upgrade to Stafford, who made more than $200 million in Detroit without a playoff win and immediately delivered a Lombardi Trophy to La-La Land.

Goff lacks the mobility and athleticism so prized in top quarterbacks these days. He was seen as a franchise albatross not that long ago and has a muted persona — he won’t be lifting your Q ratings with national commercials or fiery speeches and antics. He arrived in Detroit with Coach Dan Campbell before the 2021 season with the franchise again in the dumpster, quietly took his lumps and absorbed a bevy of huge hits in that 3-13-1 campaign. Last year, he joined Stafford (four times) and Charlie Batch as the only quarterbacks to have a winning season in Detroit since 2000.

Since the Lions assembled what’s now considered a top offensive line before last season, Goff has been excellent. Through two games in 2023, he is third in the NFL in passer rating (109), and already beat the reigning champs in Kansas City in Week 1. His 33 touchdown passes since the start of 2022 rank fifth and he’s fourth with 5,014 passing yards (though his air yards/attempt are below the NFL average). And Goff been a perfect fit for his environment, which features young coordinator Ben Johnson’s dynamic offense — built on multiplicity in the run game and play-action efficiency — and Ford Field’s controlled climate and fast track, which encourages precision short passing to maximize yards after the catch.

Jared Goff's past 2 seasons_2021 and 2022.jpg

Goff leads the NFL with a 124.8 rating on play action passes since Week 1 of 2022. He is also the NFL’s leader in passer rating at home in that span (110.8). The young Lions tend to be stuck in close games, and Goff is among the top-rated QBs in the fourth quarter since 2022 (100.1; 86.4 is average). While Johnson’s probing run game sometimes bogs down inside the red zone as the field shrinks, Goff’s 24-1 TD-INT ratio there since the start of last season is also among the best in the league.

Consider also that the Lions currently have one proven impact pass catcher on the roster in Amon-Ra St. Brown, with 2022 top pick Jameson Williams limited to six total games due to injury and a gambling suspension. And recall they dealt Pro Bowl tight end T.J. Hockenson, now the league’s highest-paid player at his position, to the rival Vikings at midseason, just as the offense was starting to evolve.

They should have just paid Hockenson, that was stupid,” the GM said. “He should be Goff’s favorite target right now. That was the time to start spending money, not trading high-end starters on their rookie deals.”

Again, this is complicated to quantify, especially with how Stafford prospered when the Lions finally opted to let him go, and how bleak Detroit’s history has been. Goff is four years younger than Smith, who got a decent bridge deal from Seattle this offseason but lacks Goff’s draft stature and postseason pedigree. He’s seven years younger than Cousins, who has repeatedly parlayed short-term deals into premium compensation and lines up as the prize of the 2024 QB free agent class. Teams are generally reluctant to let quality starters get to their “walk year,” and the price of quarterbacks is always going up.

Merely reaching the playoffs might feel like a Super Bowl to the lowly Lions, but that’s not the stuff that title chases are made of. A Goff extension is the kind of first-world quarterback quandary this franchise has rarely faced, and it will be the first substantial test for a new front office.

Jason has covered the National Football League and its franchises for nearly 20 years, for The Washington Post, NFL Network and CBS Sports. https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• It’s a tough one. I never liked Goff when LA drafted him but I’m a fan now. I don’t know if he’s worth 45 mil per year but I don’t think the Lions will let him walk.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The Goff situation is interesting. I was never a fan but, he has been really good in detroit. I thought of him as a bridge QB. With the 2025 rebuild looming, do they ride with Goff until the rebuild and trade him for another injured draft pick? I guess it depends if Homes is out for the rebuild.
        Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

• When you get a quarterback you need to keep the quarterback. That article brings up Cousins and it's a decent comparison. Washington fucked around not wanting to pay Cousins and ended up letting him go to Minnesota. Who the hell has Washington's quarterbacks been since they made that brilliant decision?

The article also brings up Stafford. The same nonsense was said about Stafford and his contract in Detroit. You can't win with that guy. That brilliant argument was destroyed less than 12 months after he was traded.

People are in love with the qb rookie contract as if that is some magical elixir. If the quarterback doesn't pan out you can cut bait and draft another quarterback. The Cardinals and Jets deployed this brilliant strategy.

Comment

• It's funny too that, short of getting the Lions to/winning a Super Bowl, the Goff narrative is fixed nationally. Simmons was talking on his show about the Lions game and he was like "the Lions were in control, then Goff started doing Goff things". Yes, the pick six sucked, but he was the reason they were actually in the game and had a chance to win.

He may revert at some point and not be as efficient and mistake free as he has been for the last year, but for now there are much bigger glaring issues on this team than Jared Goff.

Comment

• Lions win multiple playoff games based on how Goff is playing if the Lions defense ever sniffs top 10. Last season, this season, next season. Pretty obvious what’s going on here.

Paying attention to what’s going on with other QBs across the NFL… pretty amazing what Goff has done.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Right now, there is at least 2 problems with the Detroit Lions, and both have nothing to do with Jared Goff:

1) We don't a bookend to help out Hutchinson at all, and that's why he's been double and triple teamed so far this year.

2) Aaron Glenn's defense is shockingly bad against mobile quarterbacks or teams with a solid offensive line, and I'm starting to think that he either needs to adjust his schemes to account for that, or that Dan Campbell needs to find another Defensive Coordinator in the offseason.

I know that Wade Phillips is a Head Coach in the XFL, but his defenses historically have been stout and usually in the top 15 in the NFL. He won a Super Bowl as the Defensive Coordinator of the Denver Broncos nearly a decade ago, and took the Rams to the Super Bowl with Goff. Plus, they only gave up 13 points in the game that Goff struggled to score 3 in. I'm inclined to offer him a 2 year contract starting next year, draft another defensive lineman to help Hutch out, and have Phillips mentor someone on the current staff so that person can learn from him.

As it currently stands right now, I'm tired of Glenn's defenses, and I desperately want someone running the defense that is way better than his puzzling schemes.
                "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                My friend Ken L

Comment

• The problem with his schemes is that they aren't puzzling. About the only question opposing coordinators have to ask themselves is, "Are these DBs sitting 10 yards off the line of scrimmage gonna be playing man or zone?"

Comment

• Goff is fine. They need to keep him.
                    3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                    10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• I'd love for Wade Phillips to be DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                        It's funny too that, short of getting the Lions to/winning a Super Bowl, the Goff narrative is fixed nationally. Simmons was talking on his show about the Lions game and he was like "the Lions were in control, then Goff started doing Goff things". Yes, the pick six sucked, but he was the reason they were actually in the game and had a chance to win.

He may revert at some point and not be as efficient and mistake free as he has been for the last year, but for now there are much bigger glaring issues on this team than Jared Goff.
                        Also in that podcast they were talking about the quarterback who puts up great stats but the team doesn't have success. They said the previous champ was Matt Stafford, but then he won a Super Bowl. Duh, maybe reevaluate how you think about quarterbacks. They were talking shit about Stafford for his whole career and the instant he was on a really talented team, he did what he always did in Detroit with the comeback victories.

To win a Superbowl you need:
                        1. A really good quarterback
                        2. Playmakers on both sides of the ball
                        3. You have to stay healthy

The thought that there is a quarterback out there that can will a thin team to a title is ridiculous. It doesn't happen. The times that it kind of happened it was with Joe Flacco and Eli Manning playing out of their fucking mind.

It's strange, the Lions made a good trade with Stafford and it's like Goff has taken on all the same bullshit baggage Stafford had here.
                        Last edited by froot loops; September 20, 2023, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• You see it on a lot of this forum, even. The degree that the "average" viewer seems to think that the NFL is basically a glorified game of 1 on 1 between two quarterbacks with 20 other people who just have really, really good seats.

Comment

• I remember all through Stafford's Lion career, it was a constant stream of the "who would you rather have?" Stafford or the newest flavor of the week. Most of those quarterbacks aren't in the league or are hanging on. Meanwhile Stafford is old and people want him to retire and he is making some rookie who sounds like he should be playing at Norwich City look like an All Pro.

Comment

• I always thought the “head to head” talk was ridiculous as well. People pointed out how Stafford routinely lost to the elite QBs in the NFL. But it’s like they ignored the fact that those elite QBs were picking apart the Lions crappy defense and he had to try and make up for it (against a routinely better defense) which led to turnovers and other mistakes.

On another note, I’m glad Goff’s streak of passes without an INT is over. Not throwing INTs is nice but sometimes I think QBs fall in love with that and stop taking risks which can lead to playing it too safe.

Comment

• It still can not be denied though - You can't win against Goff with Mahomes. Fact.

I don't think Goff gave a shit about the streak.
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X