No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Lions did get a touch full of themselves, so maybe loss helps them down the road

Shawn Windsor
    Detroit Free Press

Sometimes it's best to lean into the clichés. They’re there for a reason. Mostly because they offer truth, and the truth is that what Dan Campbell told his team after a brutal loss to Seattle Sunday is right:

The Detroit Lions didn’t deserve the win.

“I thought he said it great after the game,” said Jared Goff, who agreed with his coach. “We didn’t deserve that one. We might have gotten away with it at the end there … (but) they earned that win and we kind of earned the loss.”

Not a bad way to put it. Or to think about Seattle’s 37-31 overtime win. To think about the space between earning a win and earning a loss in the NFL. The difference is so often minimal.

A dropped pass, or a mistimed route. A hurried throw, perhaps, or a loose angle of pursuit; give a fella like Geno Smith a proper lane and he’ll always know what to do with it.

How about a gamble that doesn’t work, like Campbell’s fourth-down call late in the third when the Lions needed 2 yards from their own 45. They didn’t convert. Seattle scored nine plays later.

Pick up those 2 yards and maybe the march down the field goes the Lions way, and they jump back up by 11 points, and that changes how the fourth quarter unfolds — a single play can do that.

A few single plays can do a lot more. This is the narrow margin, the tight spaces where games are won or lost. Lose those few plays or, worse, lose the ball a couple times, and your fans are walking out quietly.

“We’re not good enough to turn the ball over,” said Campbell.

This is true for most teams, except for the most talented teams, and the Lions aren’t there yet. Sunday was another reminder.

Now, you might argue that they played sloppily and still had a chance to win. If someone is making that argument, do they have a point?

Sure, if you’ve loved a normal NFL franchise all your life.

If you loved the Lions?

It's easier to swap that ski mask for a paper bag. Though I don’t think anyone is at that level of despair just yet, other than the few outliers who want a regime change because of the failed fourth down conversion.

Somewhere in between should be the realization that these Lions have lots of good players. Just not lots of star players. And that Seattle’s players, especially offensively, are on par, if not a little better, than what the Lions have.

Again, they look like a good team. A solid team. And to get where they want, they’ll have to win their share of games against good-to-solid teams.

Like Atlanta, a team that’s 2-0 and looks better, too. That won’t be easy this Sunday. It’ll be a game won — or lost — in the margins, like usual.

And the best way to win in the margins is to — brace for another cliché — focus. And the best way to focus is to forget about what everyone else is saying.

“I know it stings and those guys are disappointed,” said Campbell. “I’m disappointed, the staff is, but my gosh man, this is good. We’ll get a little humble pie here and we’ve got a real good opponent coming in next week and they run it as good if not better than those guys and they have better weapons just all around.”

Did he just take a shot at Seattle?

Or is he just giving early props to Atlanta?

Sounds like both, to me. But the most important words in his last sentence are these: “humble pie.”

Who on earth thought we’d be talking about the Lions needing humble pie so quickly? Well, they got it Sunday on the field, and then got it again after the game when a Seahawk donned a ski mask as his teammates whooped and hollered in the locker room.

The Lions deserved the troll, and they deserve their coach talking about humble pie.

Is it just another cliché?

Yes, but Campbell meant it, and surely sensed it in the runup to the game the last 10 days. Remember, his guys knocked off the defending champs, on the road, at night, and they did it not playing their best ball.

That’s what the players said, anyway, which tells us they were feeling it a little bit. This doesn’t mean they weren’t focused or preparing with enthusiasm and professionalism, not at all.

It just means when you start feeling yourself a little bit, the peripheral vision can narrow, and something sneaks in and disrupts things in a way you might normally catch.

In that sense, Campbell wasn’t crushed by the loss. In fact, he thinks he can use it to the team’s benefit.

“Inadvertently it always — it gets your focus back on,” he said. “We’re on one track now. Here’s what it is: it’s Atlanta, it’s getting back to what we do, it’s cleaning up all the little things, and forget everything else because if we’re not all collectively — me included — all of us just focused on what’s right in front of us, then we’re not all on the same page and I just think that’s what happens with a loss. It stinks, it stinks to lose, it does, but this is not a sprint. It’s a marathon, and I know this … we’ve got to get cleaned up in a hurry. We’ve got some good opponents we’ve got ready to face coming in.”

Ah, the good old getting things cleaned up. Another cliché. But also, the fundamental truth of football. As Campbell said, from here forth it's about the single track, which is really just coach speak for remembering your identity.

The Lions got a tad full of themselves this past week. Perhaps not consciously, but it was lurking in the subconscious all last week, causing a touch of trouble.

That shouldn’t be a problem in the runup this week. The Lions know they are good, but they also know they aren’t so good that they can make the kind of mistakes they made and beat a solid team.

After Sunday, they won’t have a hard time remembering their margin for error is thin, and that most NFL games are won in the margins.

Contact Shawn Windsor: 313-222-6487 or swindsor@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter@shawnwindsor

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions were built to outscore Seattle, not stop them. And that didn't happen in crunch time

Jeff Seidel
      Detroit Free Press

The Detroit Lions were built for this moment.

Less than 2 minutes to play. Down 3. Ball at the 50. First down.

Go down and score, boys. You were built for this.

This was a chance for the Lions to unveil all of their explosive weapons on Sunday afternoon, get a touchdown and steal a win against the Seattle Seahawks.

This is why, at least in theory, the Lions used a first-round pick on Jameson Williams — but he wasn’t even in uniform, serving a six-game suspension.

This is why they used a first-round pick on Jahmyr Gibbs. They dreamed of using his explosiveness to get him locked up in mismatches — who could cover him? But on the most important drive of the game, at the end of regulation, all they did was dump the ball to him over the middle for 4 yards and then again for 3 more.

This why they drafted tight end Sam LaPorta but he didn’t even touch the ball down the stretch.

And the Lions settled for a field goal to force overtime.

Now, I’m not blaming those players. They are still young and will improve, and Williams, one day, might actually contribute.

I’m just trying to put everything into perspective — both offensively and defensively. Because all these decisions are connected.

The Lions loaded up on offense, thinking they could outscore people, but could manage only a field goal at the most important time.

Meanwhile, the Lions defense is improved, but it looked like a sieve in overtime.

If you laud the Lions for building up their offense, even if they didn’t fully utilize their young weapons with the game on the line, you have to remember who they didn’t take.

They didn’t draft a pass rusher this spring, at least not high, and they didn’t get a linebacker who could cover.

Jack Campbell might one day be a fine linebacker. But he wasn’t on the field during overtime.

And Seattle quarterback Geno Smith had all kinds of time in overtime, carving up the Lions defense, mainly throwing to tight ends, abusing the Lions linebackers.

Meanwhile, Lions quarterback Jared Goff didn’t even get a chance in overtime, as Seattle won, 37-31.

“It’s kind of always the worst-case scenario as a quarterback or offense is, get to overtime, lose a toss unfortunately, and don’t get to touch the ball, so credit to them,” Goff said. “They got the ball in their hands and finished the game with it. You’d like to have a chance there, but yeah.”

If you find some solace that the Lions scored 31 on Sunday — the fourth-straight home game they have topped 30 — thanks to those explosive weapons, just remember they lost.

While I firmly believe this Lions team has improved, Seattle’s winning drive is a massive cautionary flag about this season. The defense is better but still the weakest unit on this team.

In my opinion, it’s why Dan Campbell is so aggressive offensively — he’s acting like a coach who knows he has to score every chance he can get, even if he has to play Gamblin’ Dan. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it doesn't.

A painful gut punch

Listen, it stinks the Lions lost this home game, in front of such an amazing crowd.

But it’s dang hard to win when you fumble on your first possession of the second half, setting up a Seattle a touchdown; and it’s even harder to win when you throw a pick-six.

“We’re not good enough to turn the ball over,” Campbell said. “I know it was three but it was really two criticals, and win the game.”

The Lions didn’t deserve to win this game. They made a bunch of mistakes — correctible mistakes, I should add.

“We’ll get a little bit of humble pie here,” Campbell said. “I don’t want to say we weren’t ready I just — man we have to make those plays in the moment and not just assume it’s going to turn into the game you want it to. We wanted to go in, we attacked it a certain way and it didn’t go that way and that’s OK, because now you know you’ve got to close it out at the end, and we weren’t able to do that. So, look we’ll regroup and we’ll get this stuff cleaned up, and I’ll be better with the coaching staff and we’ll be great.”

This loss shouldn’t derail the season. While it might temper the excitement level, bringing it back to Earth, it shouldn’t erase it.

As long as they can learn from it.

As long as Goff and Gibbs can get on the same page.

They weren’t on Sunday, at a critical moment that flipped this game, when Goff threw to one spot and Gibbs cut to another.

Seattle cornerback Tre Brown picked it off and turned it into a touchdown — it was far too easy.

“It's tough,” Goff said. “It’s on me and I gotta take care of the ball there.”

You want to know why the Lions finished so strong last season? You want to know one of the main reasons why they beat Kansas City?

It was because Goff went 383 throws without throwing an interception.

But on his 384th throw, Goff threw behind Gibbs.

“I thought he ran a fine route,” Goff said. “I was getting hit, or it was about to get hit, threw it before he broke.”

Showing resilience

On a positive note, this team didn’t give up. It showed resilience, fighting back.

They had a chance to win it in regulation but squandered it.

Goff pointed to one play in particular. On second-and-6 from the Seattle 23, he threw incomplete over the middle to Amon-Ra St. Brown.

“I wish I would have hit St. Brown on the in-breaker,” he said. “You know, that kind of put us behind the sticks a little bit. You know, maybe I get through my progression on some of those other ones to get a little bit further down the field. Get us in a bit a little bit better strike zone to kind of take that shot at the end zone. But yeah, it ultimately we just didn't get it done.”

No, they didn’t.

That will be his lesson.

Maybe, go for a big play. Maybe, use those weapons.

In the end, Goff had a fine day statistically: 28 of 25 for 323 and two touchdowns.

And he got this team to overtime.

But Geno Smith was better. In overtime, Seattle's quarterback completed 6 of 7 passes, including a 6-yarder to Tyler Locket for the game-winner.

Some of that, maybe most of that, was the Lions' defense. They couldn’t get pressure on Smith and couldn’t stay with the receivers long enough.

If there is one scary thing about this game, if there was a giant red flag, it was that drive. The Lions just couldn’t get a stop when it mattered the most. Couldn’t get pressure on Smith. Couldn’t get it done in crunch time.

And all the Lions' explosive players were sitting on the bench.

Contact Jeff Seidel at jseidel@freepress.com or follow him @seideljeff.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions game balls & goats: Josh Reynolds, Sam LaPorta show up; pass rush toothless

Dave Birkett
        Detroit Free Press

Free Press sports writer Dave Birkett highlights the best and worst performances from the Detroit Lions' 37-31 overtime loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Ford Field.

Game balls

WR Josh Reynolds

Amon-Ra St. Brown’s place at the top of the Lions’ receiver hierarchy is secure, but Reynolds has strung together two nice games to start the season. On Sunday, he had five catches for 66 yards and caught touchdown passes of 22 and 4 yards. Reynolds held onto his first TD despite a big hit from Quandre Diggs, and his second pulled the Lions within one score with 3:08 to play.

“Reynolds is really playing big for us right now,” Lions coach Dan Campbell said. “He’s been a trusted target, reliable guy since he’s really been here. He just had some injuries last year that slowed him down a little bit at times but man, when he’s healthy and he’s going, he’s somebody we have a lot of faith in.”

TE Sam LaPorta

LaPorta had five catches for 63 yards Sunday, and two of his grabs came on the Lions’ final touchdown drive. He caught a 12-yard pass on third-and-12, with Seahawks cornerback Coby Bryant draped on his back, to keep the drive alive, and he spun off tackles from a pair of Seattle defensive backs on his 23-yard gain later in the period.

A second-round pick out of Iowa, LaPorta has some serious run-after-catch ability for a tight end. He had a mixed day blocking. He whiffed on a block on David Montgomery’s fumble, then made the key block on Montgomery’s touchdown run. But two games into his NFL career, he looks like a keeper.

Goats

Lions pass rush

The Lions thought enough of their pass rush that they passed on defensive linemen with their first five picks in April’s draft, but two games into the season they have exactly one sack — by linebacker Alex Anzalone late in Sunday’s fourth quarter.

Playing against a Seattle Seahawks team starting backups Stone Forsythe and Jake Curhan at the tackle spots and that lost center Evan Brown for a period early in the game, the Lions couldn’t muster enough pressure with their four-man rush on a day Geno Smith threw the ball 41 times. The Seahawks were careful about taking shots downfield, but the Lions defensive front didn’t register a single quarterback hit. They need the unit to be better collectively going forward.

RB David Montgomery

Montgomery has been one of the Lions’ best offensive players through two weeks. He ran for 67 yards on 16 carries Sunday and gave the Lions a short-lived 21-14 lead with a 4-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. But Montgomery also had a costly fumble on the first snap of the second half, at a time when the Lions appeared to have the Seahawks on the ropes.

The fumble wasn’t solely Montgomery’s fault. LaPorta’s missed block gave Uchenna Nwosu a clean shot on Montgomery in the backfield. But it fueled Seattle’s hopes on a day where things didn’t appear to be going the Seahawks’ way early. And if his thigh bruise is serious, it could be a week or two before Montgomery returns to the field and gets a chance at redemption.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him @davebirkett.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• 3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
          10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Detroit Lions didn't lose any ground in NFC North division despite loss to Seahawks

Jared Ramsey
            Detroit Free Press

The dreams of a perfect start to the season for the Detroit Lions are over following Sunday's 37-31 overtime loss to the Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field.

The good news for the Lions and their fans: The rest of the division struggled this week too. Every NFC North team lost in Week 2, meaning the Lions are still tied with the Green Bay Packers atop the division standings with 15 games remaining.

The Lions mounted a fourth-quarter comeback but turnovers and consistent defensive issues cursed the Lions in the home opener. Turnovers from Jared Goff and David Montgomery in the second half, combined with allowing over 300 yards passing to Geno Smith, were too much to overcome. It’s the third straight season the Lions have lost to the Seahawks, who exposed problems with the Lions defense once again.

Here’s how the teams in the NFC North look after two weeks:

Detroit Lions

The Lions are 1-1 after starting the season against two teams that made the playoffs last year. Detroit validated the offseason hype in its opening win over the Kansas City Chiefs, but Week 2 revealed it still has plenty of growing to do to be a true contender.

The loss drops the Lions to 1-1 on the season, and they will look to bounce back against the 2-0 Atlanta Falcons this Sunday at Ford Field. The Falcons are fresh off a comeback 25-24 win over the Packers, led by rookie running back Bijan Robinson (124 rushing yards on 19 carries). Atlanta stuffed Carolina in Week 1, 24-10, so this will be its first road test of the young season.

Green Bay Packers

As mentioned, Detroit’s main rival also lost on Sunday on the road against the Falcons. The Packers had a 12-point lead heading into the fourth quarter but gave up 13 unanswered points in a 25-24 loss.

New starting quarterback Jordan Love had another solid performance, going 14 of 25 for 251 yards and three touchdowns. Former MSU standout Jayden Reed had a big day, scoring his first two NFL touchdowns. The Packers host the New Orleans Saints in their home opener in Week 3, then four days later host the Lions on Thursday Night Football.

Minnesota Vikings

Last year’s NFC North champion find itself in a hole two weeks into the season. The Vikings are 0-2 with losses to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (20-17) and Philadelphia Eagles (34-28). The Vikings lost both games by one score, flipping the luck after their 13-win season filled with one-score triumphs last year.

Minnesota has a negative-six turnover differential through two games, worst in the NFL. Minnesota in Week 3 is back home against the Los Angeles Chargers (0-2), then in Week 4 plays at Carolina.

The Lions and Vikings don't meet until Week 16 on Christmas Eve in Minnesota, then play again two weeks later in the regular season finale at Ford Field.

Chicago Bears

The Bears through two games look to be in contention for the first overall pick for the second straight year. Chicago is 0-2 after getting blown out by the Packers in Chicago, 38-20, in the opener, and losing handily at the Buccaneers on Sunday, 27-17.

The Bears have given up 65 points through two weeks and Justin Fields has struggled, throwing three interceptions compared to two touchdowns so far. It doesn’t get any easier for Chicago next week, with a visit to the Chiefs with Travis Kelce and Chris Jones back in the lineup.

Detroit plays Chicago for the first time in Week 11 at Ford Field on Nov. 19, and pays a visit to Soldier Field in Week 14 on Dec. 10.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions' Penei Sewell: 'I didn't do a good job' filling in for Taylor Decker at LT

Dave Birkett
              Detroit Free Press

Penei Sewell's first game at left tackle in nearly two years didn't go the way he planned.

Sewell, the Detroit Lions' Pro Bowl right tackle, said he was not happy with his performance in Sunday's loss to the Seattle Seahawks, when he started at left tackle in place of the injured Taylor Decker.

"I didn’t do a good job and I feel like that starts with the example, so got to be better there," Sewell said Monday. "Clean it up, just like you said. Very dirty across the board and just got to be better."

Sewell allowed just two pressures on 37 drop backs, according to Pro Football Focus, and the Lions topped 100 yards rushing for the second straight week. But the third-year offensive lineman said he came away from Sunday's game — his first start at left tackle since Week 8 of the 2021 season — with "a lot of technical things" to clean up and "blocks that I should have made."

A college left tackle at Oregon, Sewell has played primarily on the right side in the NFL.

He started eight games at left tackle as a rookie when Decker was sidelined with a finger injury, but played exclusively right tackle last season and worked only sporadically on the left side in training camp.

"It’s not an excuse," Sewell said. "Coach depends on me, everybody on this team depends on me so there’s no difference (no matter what position I'm playing). But when it comes to what I need to work on, those attention to details, I’m like a yard away from making that important block and I just got to get off the ball faster or stay on the block with Jonah (Jackson) more, or just communication like that."

Decker's availability for this week's game against the Atlanta Falcons is uncertain, though Lions coach Dan Campbell said Decker is making progress in his return from a sprained ankle.

If Decker can't play, the Lions will be down ⅖ of their starting offensive line after Halapoulivaati Vaitai injured his left knee in Sunday's second half.

Vaitai, who missed all of last season with a back injury, could miss multiple weeks with his knee injury.

"As a teammate, I hate it for him just because he just got back from that really bad back injury so just to see him go down like that it just hurts," Sewell said. "I know how much he wanted it, especially for this year. Y’all know, you talk to him. I hate it but just like you said, we got to keep going and wait for him to get back."

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions' Campbell breaks down pass-rush struggles, seeking more from team's top players

Justin Rogers
                The Detroit News

Allen Park — The ineffectiveness of the Detroit Lions' pass rush has been one of the team's biggest early-season disappointments, directly contributing to an inability to slow down the Seattle Seahawks and quarterback Geno Smith in Sunday's 37-31 overtime loss.

Smith was highly efficient, completing 78.0% of his passes for 328 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions. Much of that success came because the Lions couldn't get to him. Despite the Lions throwing more than a dozen blitzes at the veteran QB, he easily evaded pressure throughout the contest. The Lions didn't manage to get a hand on him until linebacker Alex Anzalone sacked Smith in the final two minutes of the contest, only after Smith had danced around the pocket, avoiding multiple defenders.

This wasn't how things were supposed to go this season. The Lions seemingly turned a corner with their pass rush a year ago, behind the additions of Aidan Hutchinson, John Cominsky and James Houston, ranking top 10 in pressure rate and middle of the pack with 39 sacks. And with those three returning, and Charles Harris, Romeo Okwara and Josh Paschal back at full health after dealing with injuries a year ago, the young group was poised to take the next step.

And while two games hardly define a season, those expectations have not come close to fruition so far, with the Lions struggling to get home against Smith, and versus Patrick Mahomes in Week 1.

Asked about the lack of an effective pass rush, Lions coach Dan Campbell highlighted a number of issues, some physical, some mental.

On the physical side of the equation, Campbell said the team is doing a poor job on play-action, shifting from the mindset of stopping the run to getting after the QB after the run-fake is diagnosed.

"We have to transition much quicker," Campbell said. "Our urgency has to go up there, and our violence has to go up to shed those blockers. That will go a long way."

He also noted that the defenders aren't doing a good enough job of winning in one-on-one situations.

From a mental standpoint, Campbell criticized his group for not being assignment-sound, which includes trying to do too much, not trusting your teammates to do their job and vacating the designed rush lanes.

Finally, while not naming names, Campbell said the team is expecting more out of its best players.

"I just think defensively, we need our most reliable players to be reliable," Campbell said. "That was a big thing that came out of that game. ...I just expect more. I expect more reliability out of those guys. They know who they are and we just hold them to high standards."

The Lions will look to get the pass rush on track this week against the Atlanta Falcons, who gave up four sacks in their season opener, but just one last Sunday in a victory over the Green Bay Packers.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @Justin_Rogers

My friend Ken L

Comment

• 'Stop the bleeding': Lions emphasizing turnover battle after Week 2

Nolan Bianchi
                  The Detroit News

Allen Park — The Detroit Lions made the most of the turnover battle in their season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs, and in the end, it made all the difference in a one-score victory.

The Seattle Seahawks made the most of the turnover battle in the Lions’ home opener, and in the end, it made all the difference in a one-score victory.

Along with a litany of problems on the defensive side of the ball, one big takeaway from Sunday’s 37-31 loss at Ford Field was — well, the lack of takeaways. But it wasn’t the Lions’ biggest problem relating to turnovers Sunday.

Detroit coughed up the ball twice on its own side of the field Sunday, including a fumble by David Montgomery on the first play of the second half — ultimately erasing a seven-point halftime lead — and a pick-six in the fourth quarter thrown by Jared Goff that gave Seattle a 10-point advantage.

Lions head coach Dan Campbell on Monday said it was a little reminiscent of the start to last season, when the Lions started a turnover-happy stretch early in the season — 10 turnovers over three games from Weeks 5-7 — as it raced out to a 1-6 record.

“It’s a little bit like we started last year, man. It just becomes contagious in the wrong way,” Campbell said. “We gotta stop the bleeding and get back to where, man, everybody’s gotta think of the football as — your life depends on it. You've got to think of it that way. Your teammate’s life depends on it.

Every game of football will have the “what-ifs” attached to it, but the Lions have missed a few chances to make gold. C.J. Gardner-Johnson — who tied for the league lead in interceptions (six) last season — dropped a pair in the opener before the Chiefs’ receiving corps put the game on ice by their lonesome.

Safety Kerby Joseph had the opportunity to make a big-time pick on third-and-goal from Detroit’s 7-yard-line in the third quarter of Sunday’s game; it was an undoubtedly tough play to make, but he was a step late and couldn’t hang on to a ball that might have gone for points the other way.

“Whether it’s a strip attempt, punching the ball out, finishing on the tackle, finding the ball in the air, making plays and not letting those innocent balls hit the ground … just bring those to fruition (is key),” Lions cornerback Cam Sutton said.

“We’ve been in good situations thus far, but we really just gotta keep bringing the havoc, keep getting after teams, keep attacking teams and not being on that back end of reading and reacting … instead of going on the hunt.”

Lions head coach Dan Campbell on Monday said interceptions will come, but the defense generally needs to be more intentional about forcing takeaways.

“Look, everybody says you gotta catch the ones that come to you, but to me, it’s more about us forcing them. And the way we hit, we bite the ball, we gotta get strips. We have to make a conscious effort. And again, if you want it, you gotta emphasize it in practice.

“What we’re emphasizing (as a coaching staff) is not being emphasized, so we gotta go back and there’s got to be a different way to do it. I’ve gotta do that with the coaches, the coaches have to do that to the players, and it can’t just be a go-through-the-motions (type of thing). You have to force takeaways. The picks will come.”

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @nolanbianchi

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

I worked on a high school football staff
                    Being the janitor and cleaning out the locker room doesn’t count bro. We all know your football knowledge is on the limited side but we still like having you around.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Knowing that CJGJ had a torn pec but still continued to play is insane. That’s one tough sob.

I couldn’t help but agree with a few people on here saying he wasn’t backing up his talk but that tells a different story.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• If you have a stupid penalty that gives them new life on a drive, the hero ball stuff with a torn oec doesn't matter. You've already been Lionized.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          If you have a stupid penalty that gives them new life on a drive, the hero ball stuff with a torn oec doesn't matter. You've already been Lionized.
                          Yeah i forgot about that penalty when I posted that. It was really really stupid
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• It sucks.
                            Despite that knucklehead penalty by CJGJ, I would still consider him a top 10 important player on the team. The vocal leadership he brings and overall production. Hopefully the injury bug stops bleeding for the Lions in the near future. Thankfully it’s not as dreadful as what the Browns went through last night.

I said before the season that the Lions pillars to success when it comes to injuries are: Goff, Decker, Sewell, Ragnow, St. Brown, and Hutchinson. Thankfully those players are fine going forward… Losing CJGJ hurts, but it could be worse.

TRYING to stay positive… The Lions starting safeties at the end of last season were rookie Kerby Joseph and Iffy Melifonwu. DeShon Elliott in and out.
                            2nd year Kerby Joseph and Tracy Walker are a step up from that.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                              It sucks.
                              Despite that knucklehead penalty by CJGJ, I would still consider him a top 10 important player on the team. The vocal leadership he brings and overall production. Hopefully the injury bug stops bleeding for the Lions in the near future. Thankfully it’s not as dreadful as what the Browns went through last night.

I said before the season that the Lions pillars to success when it comes to injuries are: Goff, Decker, Sewell, Ragnow, St. Brown, and Hutchinson. Thankfully those players are fine going forward… Losing CJGJ hurts, but it could be worse.

TRYING to stay positive… The Lions starting safeties at the end of last season were rookie Kerby Joseph and Iffy Melifonwu. DeShon Elliott in and out.
                              2nd year Kerby Joseph and Tracy Walker are a step up from that.
                              Here's some positive spin:

It is good to have injuries early. That way the players can get healthy for the stretch run.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• CJGJ running hot isn't exactly a new thing, that's sort of what you buy into with an emotional guy like that. Though I think somebody did an analysis and he's actually been pretty clean the last 2-3 years on dumb penalties. You wonder if Glenn maybe let him get a little too loose during the preseason trying to infuse that energy into the rest of the defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X