No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did it have to be quick hitter or a fade to the corner better option?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
      Why was throwing it the right call?
      It was 3rd down on the half yard line. You throw the ball there

1) If you run the ball there is a good chance that is the last play of the game

2) If you pass there you will have (more than likely) one more play.

3) The play had worked all year for them and the wideout was open when Wilson looked his way. Butler jsut made a great play.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

It was 3rd down on the half yard line. You throw the ball there

1) If you run the ball there is a good chance that is the last play of the game

2) If you pass there you will have (more than likely) one more play.

3) The play had worked all year for them and the wideout was open when Wilson looked his way. Butler jsut made a great play.
        According to the espn play by play it was 2nd down and they still had one timeout
        Last edited by mason reese; September 13, 2023, 02:53 PM.
        "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Yeah I know they had 1 more down before 4th.

Comment

• C.J. Gardner-Johnson hopes Lions fans don ski masks for home opener: 'It's part of us'

The Detroit News

C.J. Gardner Johnson, in his first year as a defensive back with the Detroit Lions, got a taste of what his team's fans can bring to a game, in last week's season-opening victory over the Kansas City Chiefs in raucous Arrowhead Stadium.

He liked what he saw.

"From what I've seen the crowd," Gardner-Johnson told reporters, "we got probably the most ruthless fans in the game, so I think from talking crap, they feed off of us, they yell the loudest, and that was a home game for K.C. They just love their Lions team, so I think the more we win, the more we're going to see true Lions fans."

They turned out in droves against the Chiefs, even in enemy territory. It's be ratcheted up tenfold for the Lions' home opener Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field, And, if Gardner-Johnson has his way, a majority of those fans will be wearing blue ski masks like the one he donned in Kansas City.

"You're gonna see on Sunday," he told reporters. "Blue ski masks everywhere."

That request appears to have set online orders ablaze, with some outlets reporting the ski mask being sold out on Amazon. They were available as of Wednesday afternoon.

Gardner-Johnson stoked the request on social media, posting on X on Tuesday evening: "If you gone have a ski mask on Sunday quote this."

He added on Wednesday in a subsequent post that he's not "promoting violence," and that it's "football related."

"We villians, right?" Johnson told reporters Tuesday. "It's part of us. It's the culture. I'm changing it."

"We taking what's ours."

Kickoff Sunday is at 1 p.m.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• C.J. Gardner-Johnson asks Detroit Lions fans to wear blue ski masks for home opener

C.J. Gardner-Johnson asked all Lions fans to show up to Detroit’s home opener against the Seahawks with blue ski masks to show the culture has changed.

Jared Ramsey

Detroit Free Press

Don’t be alarmed if you see many of the Ford Field crowd donning blue ski masks Sunday for the Detroit Lions’ home opener.

C.J. Gardner-Johnson, the hard-hitting and loud-talking Lions safety, asked all Lions fans to show up for the game vs. the Seattle Seahawks with blue ski masks to show the culture in Detroit has changed.

“You’re going to see on Sunday, blue ski masks everywhere,” Gardner-Johnson told reporters Tuesday

Gardner-Johnson wore a blue ski mask in the locker room following last week's win over the Kansas City Chiefs in the season opener, declaring “it’s not the same Detroit” on Instagram live in reference to the “Same Old Lions” mantra that existed for decades and included fans wearing brown paper bags to games during down years.

Gardner-Johnson then followed up the quote with reporters with a tweet, asking Lions fans to reply with pictures of the ski masks they would be wearing Sunday.

The initial call to action from Gardner-Johnson struck a chord with Lions faithful, who flocked to online vendors to purchase their blue masks: The masks reportedly sold out in the hours after Gardner-Johnson’s tweet but are available again now on Amazon.

A few hours later, Gardner-Johnson gave another public service announcement on social media, assuring the call for ski masks had no ill intent: "I'm not promoting violence this football related !!!"

The two tweets gained a lot of traction, with Lions fans replying with receipts for ski masks or anticipation for the atmosphere for the opener. Fans are salivating for Lions games in Detroit, selling out season tickets for the first time in Ford Field history and traveling in droves to Kansas City for last week's opener.

Head coach Dan Campbell said he expects a raucous atmosphere in Ford Field and now many of the screaming fans could be rocking blue balaclavas thanks to Gardner-Johnson.

"I know what Arrowhead is, and it was loud," Campbell said Monday. "I expect it to be louder than that, I really do. I just know our fans. And it’s going to be — it’ll be to the point where you can’t hear yourself think. For them, anyway."

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
                C.J. Gardner-Johnson hopes Lions fans don ski masks for home opener: 'It's part of us'

The Detroit News

C.J. Gardner Johnson, in his first year as a defensive back with the Detroit Lions, got a taste of what his team's fans can bring to a game, in last week's season-opening victory over the Kansas City Chiefs in raucous Arrowhead Stadium.

He liked what he saw.

"From what I've seen the crowd," Gardner-Johnson told reporters, "we got probably the most ruthless fans in the game, so I think from talking crap, they feed off of us, they yell the loudest, and that was a home game for K.C. They just love their Lions team, so I think the more we win, the more we're going to see true Lions fans."

They turned out in droves against the Chiefs, even in enemy territory. It's be ratcheted up tenfold for the Lions' home opener Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field, And, if Gardner-Johnson has his way, a majority of those fans will be wearing blue ski masks like the one he donned in Kansas City.

"You're gonna see on Sunday," he told reporters. "Blue ski masks everywhere."

That request appears to have set online orders ablaze, with some outlets reporting the ski mask being sold out on Amazon. They were available as of Wednesday afternoon.

Gardner-Johnson stoked the request on social media, posting on X on Tuesday evening: "If you gone have a ski mask on Sunday quote this."

He added on Wednesday in a subsequent post that he's not "promoting violence," and that it's "football related."

"We villians, right?" Johnson told reporters Tuesday. "It's part of us. It's the culture. I'm changing it."

"We taking what's ours."

Kickoff Sunday is at 1 p.m.

Screenshot_20230913-205938_Chrome.jpg
                We finally have a team we don't have to wear paper bags for and this guy wants us to put a mask on.
                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• That's the first thing I thought too.
                  Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Ultimate Bloody Marys, truffle fries and local eateries highlight new foods at Ford Field

Susan Selasky

Detroit Free Press

Sept 13, 2023

Brisket burgers topped with a garlic herb aioli and served with Parmesan truffle fries. Smokey barbecue ribs and jackfruit vegetarian nachos. Eggrolls filled with smoked tender corned beef.

Add an Ultimate Bloody Mary to celebrate the Lions' 90th season to the playbook and a new pizza partner, and Ford Field is ready with a slew of new food options for Lions fans come Sunday’s home opener against the Seattle Seahawks.

Levy Restaurants, the food and beverage partner at Ford Field, along with the Detroit Lions, on Tuesday unveiled new food and beverage offerings to the media (myself included) this season at Ford Field.

Throughout the stadium, fans can expect a focus on more vegetarian offerings, rotating menu items and more grab-and-go options. The grab-and-go items feature touchless checkouts supported by technology to avoid waiting in lines and missing the game.

Fans can expect a diverse collection of food offerings with a focus on local and minority-owned restaurants.

Cyrus Walker, Levy’s director of operations, said Ford Field hasn’t changed its history of working with restaurant partners.

“We haven’t changed that philosophy in 21 years,” Walker said. “We have focused more so recently on working on a lot more local metro Detroit restaurant partners, minority-owned specifically."

Most of the restaurants Ford Field has partnered with this year are within 5 miles of the stadium.

A big change this year is that Ford Field will now feature Coca-Cola products instead of Pepsi. The Coca-Cola product even shows up in one of Levy’s newest food items – Coca-Cola pulled pork nachos.

Another change is that Little Caesars is the new Detroit Lions pizza partner, and it's also the official pizza of the NFL.

Matthew Coleman is Levy’s new executive chef at Ford Field. While he hails from Las Vegas, Coleman said he grew up as a Lions fan through his dad, who lived in the Coolidge and 10 Mile area.

“It’s like a family homecoming, it’s exciting to be back here,” Coleman said. “Having grown up in Las Vegas and not having sports teams, we were raised on the Lions, Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings.”

Coleman detailed new offerings of rotating “wow” items created to give a cool experience, more plant-based options, and items to celebrate the Lion's 90th season, including souvenir drink cups.

Once again, Ford Field’s “Power Hour” returns with special pricing before the game. Ford Field is expecting a bigger crowd than for Sunday's home opener. Doors will open for ticketholders at 10:30 a.m., 30 minutes earlier than usual for a 1 p.m. game. The Power Hour will run from 10:30 a.m. to noon for Sunday’s game. Special pricing includes $7 Bloody Marys, $4 beers and cocktails, $3 for pop and water and $3.50 for hot dogs.

New this year is a 3% cash back in Lions Loot bonus when you use a Lions Perks Card. The cards are free to those with a Detroit Lions app and a Ticketmaster account. Lions Loot can be used on every purchase in the stadium.

What’s new with food:

Grab a Lions Perks Card (they’re free to those with a Detroit Lions app and a Ticketmaster account.) When you use the perks cards you get 3% in Lions Loot to use on every purchase in the stadium.

King of the North Burger: A lot goes into this burger. There’s a beef patty, Chicago-style Italian beef, seared Spam slice, cheese curds and grilled onions on a Brioche bun.

Bert’s BBQ: A decades-old Eastern Market restaurant, Bert’s has four concession areas at Ford Field. Bert’s is dishing up its famous smokey barbecue including ribs with sides of mac and cheese and cole slaw. For vegetarians, Bert’s has pulled pork nachos made witj Jackfruit.

Crack & Sizzle: Al Wilson brings sizzling hibachi from his Jefferson Street restaurant offering beef, chicken and vegetarian flavors. The options are served with rice and grilled vegetables.

On the Roll Next Level Eggrolls: Corned beef egg rolls are a Detroit thing. Crispy-fried egg roll wrappers are filled with smokey corned beef, Gouda and Swiss cheese. There’s also a vegetarian option with Beyond Meat.

Great Lakes Burgers: This Detroit burger spot brings a hearty, meat burger to Ford Field. It’s a brisket blend burger with Angus beef with typical fixings’ and topped with a garlic herb aioli and served with Parmesan truffle fries.

Coca-Cola pulled pork nachos: Crispy tortilla chips loaded with Coca-Cola-infused pulled pork, creamy nacho cheese. The nachos are served topped with a tangy Coca-Cola barbecue sauce, sour cream and green onions.

Vegan crunchwrap: This large flour tortilla features soy chorizo, vegan cheese, refried beans and salsa verde.
                    Item of the Game: Each home game will have a different loaded French fry that reflects ingredients inspired by the opposing team.

Beverage options

90th Season Ultimate Bloody Mary: This is the signature beverage celebrating the Lions 90th-anniversary celebration. And it’s a meal in itself. The Bloody Mary is topped with a slider and cheese curds, garnished with celery, olives, cheese, pepperoncini, and a meat stick used like a straw, and served with a shot of beer.

Drink of the Game: A specialty-themed cocktail is in store for every Lions home game this season.

Craft Beer: All home games feature a wide variety of unique, limited-edition craft beers.

Contact Detroit Free Press food and restaurant writer Susan Selasky and send food and restaurant news and tips to: sselasky@freepress.com. Follow @SusanMariecooks on Twitter.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions' Jared Goff not worried about INT-less streak: 'I'm just trying to win games'

Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press

Sept 13, 2023

Jared Goff swears he isn’t thinking about his interception-less streak, except when someone asks him about it. And as hard as he tried, the Detroit Lions quarterback couldn’t dodge questions about it Tuesday.

“You guys are talking about it way too much,” Goff said when the topic came up for a fourth time in his eight-minute media session. “I haven’t thought about it once.”

Goff has gone 359 straight pass attempts without a pick dating back to a Week 9 win over the Green Bay Packers last November, and his turnover-free play is a big reason the Lions have transformed into one of the best teams in the NFL.

He currently ranks third on the NFL’s all-time list of attempts without an interception, and he needs 44 turnover-free throws Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks to break Aaron Rodgers’ all-time record (402).

Seven-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady is the only other player with more consecutive passes without an interception (399).

“It’s cool,” Goff said of being in the same company as Rodgers and Brady. “It’s a cool thing to look back on it one day, but if you told me it kept going and we lost games, I don’t care. I’m just trying to win games and that being a part of that formula, sure, it’s helped, but it’s not, by any means, the focus.”

Lions coach Dan Campbell said Monday that Goff has made significant strides in his fundamentals, and that has played a big part in making him a more efficient quarterback.

He trusts his feet, gets through his progressions quicker than he did early in his career and has done a good job keeping the ball out of harm’s way.

Goff, who struggled with turnovers during his five seasons with the Los Angeles Rams and early in his tenure with the Lions, said he’s found a balance that was tough to achieve as a young quarterback, a balance of being “careful with the football and not careless, but at the same time, being aggressive when the shots are there and making those plays that we have to make.”

“I think as you get older, you realize when the shot is there and when it’s not and I think that’s something that I’ve kind of learned as I’ve gone through the last handful of seasons,” Goff said. “Just cause the shot’s called, doesn’t mean it’s shot taken. But then also knowing when it’s there and pulling the trigger and making those tight windows close and finding that balance and as you get older, I think it’s something that you learn.”

Goff completed 22 of 35 passes for 253 yards in the Lions’ season-opening win over the Kansas City Chiefs. He ranked near the bottom of the league in aggressive throws, which measures throws into tight windows with a defensive back within 1 yard of the intended receiver, according to the NFL’s NextGen stats, but was tied for eighth in average completed air yards per throw.

“Elite,” Lions receiver Josh Reynolds said. “Cause even Week 1 you’re seeing quarterbacks throwing three, four picks a game, or even just one. It’s big. It can be the difference between a win and a loss, so for him to be able to do that, man, it’s underrated. A lot of people are not talking about it until it’s like, ‘All right, he’s stacked up eight weeks of not turning the ball over.’”

NFL quarterbacks combined to throw 25 interceptions in Week 1, with some of the game’s best passers — Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence and Tua Tagovailoa — tossing picks. Allen and Ryan Tannehill each threw three interceptions as their teams lost games.

Reynolds said the Lions are conscious of Goff’s streak, but added, “It ain’t like we’re just sitting there looking at the stat book.”

“It’s something you can feel as games go,” he said. “It’s big for the team. Turnovers are one of the easiest ways to lose a game so not giving the ball up is always big.”

To Goff, that’s the bottom line.

Early in his career, he sometimes cost the Rams games because of his sloppy play. He had three straight seasons with double-digit interceptions in 2018-20 and had 23 turnovers in his first 22 games as a Lion.

More recently, his ball security keyed the Lions’ eight-wins-in-10-games streak to close last season and was crucial to last week’s upset of the Chiefs.

Goff said he considers his interception-less streak a team stat that’s a function of his skill players making plays, the protection he gets from the offensive line and the benefits derived from playing with a good defense.

“It’s been a lot of things,” he said. “Obviously, we’ve been playing well, taking care of the ball and then there’s a lot of luck in it. We have balls batted that hit the ground, that doesn’t always happen. So yeah there’s a lot of a few different things, but if I’m taking care of the ball, we usually win games, so I’ve got to keep doing that.”

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Next up: Seahawks

Matchup: Lions (1-0) vs. Seattle (0-1).

Kickoff: 1 p.m. Sept. 17; Ford Field, Detroit.

TV/radio: Fox; WXYT-FM (97.1).

Line: Lions by 5½.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• I absolutely love CJGJ but I don’t think the blue ski mask thing is a good look for our fans. I can see this going badly
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• But I slip into my leather mask with zipper mouth and it's, "sorry perv you can't wear that in Ford Field and you have to wear something under those chaps."
                          Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
                            But I slip into my leather mask with zipper mouth and it's, "sorry perv you can't wear that in Ford Field and you have to wear something under those chaps."
                            I usually smuggle my gimp into the game in the ice cooler. Need a ride?
                            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• That Pulp Fiction scene is one of the best
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Still a better love story than Twilight.
                                "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                                Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Working...
                                X