No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to dust down the optimigos thread?

I even sense some hope in some of the most jaded and gnarled Lions fans on this forum!

Comment

• They have everyone believing. All they have to do now is win
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Quite an in depth schematic article about Ben Johnson, Goff and the Lions. Excellent.

Enjoy him while he’s here - he’s a gangster.

The Detroit Lions’ unheralded offensive coordinator had an unlikely rise to becoming Detroit’s play caller. Now, he’s crafting one of the league’s most interesting offenses while resurrecting Goff’s career in the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
          Is it time to dust down the optimigos thread?

I even sense some hope in some of the most jaded and gnarled Lions fans on this forum!
          Yes.
          Poor injury luck is the only factor that will holdback this season from being a success. This roster is strong and heading in the right direction.​

Not saying this as an oblivious sports fan. Saying this as someone that wants to be accurate.
          I predicted 3-14 in 2021. (https://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...31#post1747431)
          Predicted 8-9 in 2022. (https://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...34#post1797734)
          Leaning 11-6 in 2023.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Observations: Branch Records Interception, Bridgewater Makes Debut Detroit Lions Day 14 training camp observations.

JOHN MAAKARON13 MINUTES AGO

The Detroit Lions are now embarking on a new week of training camp, with another team set to visit Allen Park for a series of joint practices.

While an illness has swept the team over the weekend, a new veteran backup quarterback has the strong potential to be the cure to alleviate any anxiety regarding who is playing behind veteran quarterback Jared Goff.

Monday marked the practice debut of Teddy Bridgewater, a veteran the coaching staff clamored to add to the roster earlier in camp.

The veteran was brought in to be a steadying back up behind Goff and has arrived with much fan fare.

Dan Campbell laid out the plan for the veteran signal-caller moving forward throughout training camp.

"The plan is, and T.B. knows this, let's get him in. He's gonna get some reps today, he's been grinding on the playbook," said Campbell. "Let him go through individual, let him get a few reps and then Jacksonville -- let's get him worked in a little bit. I'm just gonna gauge where he's at, where he feels, what it looks like and then we'll make a determination at the end of the week. But our plan is to get him going in practice this week."

He was asked about the potential challenge of getting Bridgewater up to speed quickly given what he's missed. However, with his experience, Campbell has plenty of faith in a quick transition.

"There is a challenge to it but I think that's, Teddy's a pro, and I go back to this — he's been in every system you can be in. It's all about flipping terminology for him. There won't be one thing he'll be doing with us that he hasn't done with somebody else. It's just the nature of what are we calling it, where do you want the snap point? Little things like that," Campbell explained. "He'll know the progressions, the reads by coverage. I mean he's a smart football player. So, there's a challenge to it, but I have a lot of faith in Teddy picking it up. I know him and the mental part of it, he's gonna be on top of it real fast."

Participation

The Lions are currently dealing with an illness that has sidelined multiple players. Among those who missed practice as a result were Brady Breeze and Cam Sutton.

With Sutton sidelined, Will Harris stepped in to take first-team reps at cornerback.

Defensive end Aidan Hutchinson missed practice as well while dealing with an ankle injury. Wide receiver Trinity Benson was also inactive.

Trinity Benson was not spotted at practice on Day 14.

Fellow wideouts Maurice Alexander and Denzel Mims were both spotted at practice, but were limited.

Alexander did not participate in special teams drills, which allowed Jameson Williams, Kalif Raymond and Amon-Ra St. Brown to handle kick return duties.

Mohamed Ibrahim was not spotted, while Jermar Jefferson was observed working with trainers. Craig Reynolds was not observed during team periods, as his work was limited to individual periods.

Observations

1.) In his first pass as a Detroit Lion, Bridgewater connected with Jameson Williams for a 25-yard gain. It is understandable the veteran was rusty, as he was away from the game following the birth of his child. A couple passes were shaky, including incompletions to Chase Cota and Avery Davis. After practice, Bridgewater and the second-year wideout worked on routes and their timing.

2.) After solid performances in the opener, Romeo and Julian Okwara were rewarded by moving up from the third-team defense. Romeo was observed working with the first-team defense after recording a sack in the preseason opener. Julian Okwara, who tallied three sacks Friday, saw action with the second-team while getting limited first-team reps.

3.) Running back David Montgomery had a strong day at practice. He was impactful in the short-passing game and consistently broke through the first level of defenders. Each run has purpose and their does not appear to be wasted movement in the veteran's runs. In a rare live-tackling portion of practice, Montgomery was the featured number called, eventually finding his way into the end zone during red zone work. Jahmyr Gibbs also blew past John Cominsky and Derrick Barnes on his way to the end zone during red zone periods. His speed and burst to the end zone can become a weapon when Detroit's offense is in the red zone in the regular season.

4.) Rookie Antoine Green, who the coaching staff had wanted to see more consistency from, broke free in red zone work, but could not haul in a solid pass from Nate Sudfeld in the end zone. Campbell has expressed that he wants the rookie wideout to be more consistent in his pursuit of a roster spot. The young wideout was visibly upset regarding the incompletion.

5.) The kickers did not take the field to compete against each on Day 14.

6.) Williams did not have any noticeable drops in practice. Jared Goff even connected deep with the speedy wideout, who tracked the football well, in individual drills. In team periods, Williams was not targeted that often. Sudfeld attempted one deep pass to the former first-round pick that feel incomplete with Steven Gilmore in coverage.

7.) Brian Branch alert! Another day of practice and another special play made by the young rookie. In the second offensive possession for the first-team offense, Goff tossed incomplete to Sam LaPorta. Soon after, Jahmyr Gibbs was the intended target and Branch, who watches an extensive amount of film, sniffed it out instantly, tipped the pass and secured the interception.

8.) Matt Nelson, who struggled in the preseason opener, was on the receiving end of a touchdown toss.

9.) Jared Goff was able to find completions deep to Josh Reynolds and Amon-Ra St. Brown, who jokingly interrupted the media session of Williams, asking his teammate what it is like to play with a player of St. Brown's caliber.

10.) The second- and third-team offense did not fare too well in red zone work. To end practice, Sudfeld would have taken a significant sack by Will Harris, putting the offense at a disadvantage to start. Martinez also would have taken a sack by Jalen Reeves-Maybin, who burst through the offensive line.

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
              Quite an in depth schematic article about Ben Johnson, Goff and the Lions. Excellent.

Enjoy him while he’s here - he’s a gangster.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8...xed-jared-goff
              Good read!!
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• FB_IMG_1692049857062.jpg
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Something that was brought up by the Lions announcers in the first preseason game. That on the college level LaPorta and Jameson WIlliams could create big catch windows and didn't have to deal with defenders on them. And that is something they are going to have to get used to, because on the NFL level the windows are much smaller and a LOT more defenders are right with you.
                  2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• When Jameson was drafted I know alot of people had visions of Tyreke Hill in their heads, but really its a disservice to Tyreke in that he obviously is more than a guy that just runs fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                      Love this! That’s fantastic even if it is just for the media to see. These are the things that can help change perception within the media and fan base for breathing room

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Williams and Berryhill were suspended for six games due to mobile betting on a college football game that occurred at a hotel room during a team road trip, in violation of league rules.[34][35][36]

WHAT A STUPID RULE. It was in a road trip in a hotel that he bet on a college game. 6 games, what a stupid rule
                        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                          Williams and Berryhill were suspended for six games due to mobile betting on a college football game that occurred at a hotel room during a team road trip, in violation of league rules.[34][35][36]

WHAT A STUPID RULE. It was in a road trip in a hotel that he bet on a college game. 6 games, what a stupid rule
                          F’ing terrible rule. Absolutely bs

but at the same time why do these guys feel the need they have to bet? You’re a multi millionaire. How much could he possibly have stood to win? It’s retarded
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• It’s so cool to hear that Barnes is crushing it. I thought it was just coach talk throughout the off season but this sounds legit

Who do you think starts the season on the bench but eventually finds their way to the starting lineup before the season is over? -- @ReineltTyler

A: Interesting question, and Jack Campbell stands out to me. He’d probably already be in the starting lineup if it weren’t for the unbelievable development of Derrick Barnes. The third-year linebacker might be the most improved player in camp, played really well in the opener against New York, was back with the first-team defense during the return to practice on Monday, then added another sack to his impressive summer resume.

At this point, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Lions open the season with the veteran alongside Alex Anzalone, but working in Jack Campbell and maybe a pinch of Malcolm Rodriguez, before ultimately working the 18th overall pick into the starting lineup as he gains experience. He’s clearly the future, and played well against the Giants too.

“I thought (Campbell) did some really good things,” Dan Campbell said. “I thought he was physical, I thought he saw it. There’s things as he goes, just cutting it loose. Like, he sees it, but now pull the trigger just a little bit faster. He’s a smart player and every time that he goes and gets that environment, he’ll just be better and better. But his physicality certainly showed up.”

Another possibility to consider: Rookie defensive tackle Brodric Martin, whose technique issues likely will land him behind Isaiah Buggs to open the season, but whose towering physical traits should be unleashed as he gets a better handle on his game.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

F’ing terrible rule. Absolutely bs

but at the same time why do these guys feel the need they have to bet? You’re a multi millionaire. How much could he possibly have stood to win? It’s retarded
                              They like college ball. They're competitors. They can stand easily to lose a bit. Not surprised or bothered ... the only bother is he didn't know the stupid rule
                              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• The rule is putrid
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X