Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
    Solid deal for the Lions. I’m surprised he signed. He’s a really good option if someone’s top guy goes down. I figured he’d wait it out
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Wow.. That was solid technique by Sewell. Thibs put a really solid move and he’s so fluid. Can’t deny his athleticism.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Wow.. That was solid technique by Sewell. Thibs put a really solid move and he’s so fluid. Can’t deny his athleticism.
        Looks like kind of a win for Thibbs. Unless it's a sweep ro the left, I don't know of any real scenario where the RT blocks his guy into the backfield.
        "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
        Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

I didn’t see the part where he retired! Wow that’s crazy
          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Or maybe he’s just not as good as he thinks he is. He literally had the one good year in college. Every year it’s blaming injuries, double teams etc. Yeah he flashes on tape but stats don’t back it up
            Every year? It's like 1 season and a joint practice. Overall I don't rate Thibs very high. But it's not like Thibs has a history in the NFL. It would be like stating Jamo is bust based on a single rush and catch in his career. There is a middle ground there Thibs needs to be good enough to get pressure against the best or he won't be worth the pick. But it's going to be hard to show improvement when your first and only example in year two is the best of the best.

He'll have the actual preseason to try to project and realistically we need some of the actual season 2. My guess he disappoints and Jags and us sigh in relief that we weren't tricked by the measurables. Though I think I like Walker less, though as a career I think he'll do better than Thibs. Thibs has a big boom or bust feeling. Not picking Hutch because his ceiling was slightly lower is idiotic when it so obvious that there was little to no way Hutch doesn't hit his ceiling. His floor and ceiling might as well have been at the same spot.

Comment

• I was meaning his college and pro career combined. He flashed 1 year in college

I disagree about Walker though. Thibs is a better player IMO all day long than Walker. The Jags were so stupid on that pick
              Last edited by jaadam4; August 10, 2023, 06:23 PM.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• It doesn’t sound like MCDC is planning to work the starters much in Pre C again. I absolutely love that
                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• 10 players who could shine for Detroit Lions in preseason game against New York Giants

Dave Birkett
                  Detroit Free Press

Practices are for starters, games are for backups. At least during the joint practice portion of training camp.

Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell said this week that is how he planned to approach his team's workouts with the New York Giants and Friday's preseason opener, when key players for both teams likely will not see the field.

"You want to see some of these guys that (are) potentially depth players. Yeah, you could call them fringe," Campbell said. "But I think the other (part) is, man, can they be spot starters for you and where can they go with that? Those are the guys you really want to try to find out about. That’s what stuff like this really helps."

The Lions and Giants gave their starters and key reserves a heavy rotation of reps Tuesday and Wednesday, when they built limited time in their practice scripts for their third teams.

Campbell declined Wednesday to say who he will hold out of Friday's game at Ford Field, but he acknowledged, "I’m sure you guys can guess some of them."

Last year, after Jared Goff talked his way into playing briefly in the Lions' exhibition opener alongside the starting offensive line, Campbell held Goff out of the rest of the preseason and kept his projected starters at nearly every other position out of the Lions' second preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts, following two joint practices during game week.

Among the 32 players who did not play against the Colts were the Lions' entire projected starting offensive line, top two running backs, both starting safeties, receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, veteran defensive players Alex Anzalone and Michael Brockers and then-rookie first-round pick Aidan Hutchinson.

Several players who ended up being key depth players (or more) did face the Colts, including then-rookie safety Kerby Joseph, defensive linemen John Cominsky and Isaiah Buggs, young linebackers Derrick Barnes and Malcolm Rodriguez and center Evan Brown.

Using that template as a guide, here are 10 players who could see the field Friday and whose performance will go a long way towards determining what if any role they have this fall:

QB Nate Sudfeld
                  Sudfeld likely will start at quarterback in place of Goff, and with Teddy Bridgewater due in shortly and expected to take practice reps next week, this could be his last best chance to prove he's worthy of a spot on the 53-man roster. The Lions cut both of the backup QBs they had in camp last year, David Blough and Tim Boyle, to add Sudfeld, and they're not contractually married to Sudfeld this fall if they decide to roll with Bridgewater as Goff's lone backup for the season. Sudfeld probably needs a strong final two weeks to earn a spot as QB3.

WR Jameson Williams
                  This list wouldn't be complete without Williams, the talented first-round pick from 2022 who's had a choppy start to his NFL career. Williams has a six-game suspension to serve to start the season, so the Lions are planning to "douse" him with work in exhibition games. He told me as he ran off the field Wednesday he's looking at the preseason almost like the start of his regular season. And given the competition level he's about to face, he should have plenty of opportunities to make plays.

WR Denzel Mims
                  Mims missed some time this week with an ankle injury, so there's no guarantee he plays. But the receiver was a late-summer roster addition at a position with a lot of moving parts who still is proving himself to a new staff. The Lions have playing time available in their receiving corps, and Mims was in the rotation on special teams before his injury.

WR Dylan Drummond
                  Of the "fringe" players on the 90-man roster at the start of camp, no one has rocketed up the depth chart as much as Drummond. The undrafted rookie out of Eastern Michigan has taken first- and second-team reps over the past week and likely will get a heavy workload Friday. He's sure-handed. He gets open. He can return kicks. And if his play on the practice field translates to games, he'll be a tough one to keep off the roster.

OT Germain Ifedi
                  The way I see it, the Lions have seven linemen locked into roster spots, with a clear top six and rookie Colby Sorsdal having shown enough to claim the seventh spot. Ifedi will have to beat out Matt Nelson for the swing tackle job, and while it's not out of the question both make the team, their play in preseason games could be a determining factor. Ifedi has made 83 career starts, so he's not exactly an unknown. Still, this is the first time the Lions will be asking him to block for a live quarterback since joining from the Falcons.

DT Brodric Martin
                  A rookie third-round pick, Martin has flashed some impressive tools in training camp, occasionally working with the first team. He's a lock to make the roster and could be ticketed for a rotational role early in the season, but the Lions are trying to get him to be a more consistent every-down player and he needs reps to do that. Martin should play heavy minutes Friday. Look for him to spend plenty of time in the Giants' backfield.

DT Christian Covington
                  If you're looking for this year's version of Cominsky, Covington could be your man. The veteran lineman came to the Lions without much fanfare and hasn't generated much buzz in camp, but he's a reliable player who makes a play or two every day and does the dirty work coaches like. The Lions are pretty deep up front, but when camp ends, Covington's body of work may be too good to ignore.

LB Jack Campbell
                  The Lions could hold some rookies out Friday, but I'm guessing Campbell will play. He's competing with Derrick Barnes for the starting job opposite Alex Anzalone, and like Martin, needs time on the field. Campbell is a heat-seeking missile in the run game and has some moxie as a blitzer. The Lions have mostly kept him in base packages with the first-team in practice. He'll need to develop as a pass defender to become an every-down player.

S Ifeatu Melifonwu
                  A third-round pick in 2021, Melifonwu has two weeks left to prove he deserves a roster spot after two injury-riddled seasons in Detroit. He's played mostly with the second-team defense when healthy this summer, but hasn't made as many plays on the ball as fellow backup Saivion Smith. The Lions have lots of options at safety, so Melifonwu might need to win his way onto the roster on special teams. He should get plenty of looks in the kicking game Friday.

Ks Parker Romo and Riley Patterson
                  Romo and Patterson have gone back and forth in training camp, trading makes and misses like jabs in a prize fight, and now it's time to take their competition to preseason games. Both have appeal; Romo has immense leg talent, while Patterson is more experienced. But consistency has been an issue. Bottom line: One of these two will make the 53-man roster and one will be out of work (or on practice squad) in two weeks.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

I didn't know we are allowed to post "X videos" here. 🤣
                    X videos are ok but posting XXX ones might cause a little but of a ruckus.
                    Apathetic No More.

Comment

• Detroit Lions Sign Kalif Raymond to Contract Extension

Raymond is reportedly among the highest-paid return men in the NFL.The Detroit Lions have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension for wide receiver Kalif Raymond, according to an NFL Network report Friday afternoon.

Terms of the contract were not immediately available. The report claimed that the veteran will be among the highest paid punt returners in the league.

The news comes just hours before the Lions begin their season with a preseason matchup against the New York Giants.

Raymond has been a key part of the Lions' special teams units since signing in 2021. He has returned 41 punts for 500 yards and a touchdown while playing for Detroit.

He re-signed with the organization after a strong 2021 season to a two-year deal. Now, he's earned the right to remain a Lions for the following two seasons.

“Huge. I mean, honestly. It’s easy to sleep, a little bit easier to wake up, too,” Raymond told reporters at a recent training camp practice. “But no, I’m thankful for that more than anything. To be anywhere more than a year in this league is very tough, so to be here going on my third, I’m nothing but perfect."

He also took a massive step forward as a receiver in 2022, becoming the team's second-leading receiver last season. While many of the starters dealt with injuries, Raymond played in all 17 games.

The Holy Cross product caught 47 passes for 616 yards in 2022. In two seasons as a Lion, he has caught 95 passes for 1,192 yards and four scores.

"I think each year, when guys are together, it creates a sense of continuity. You can even see it with (Jared Goff) and (Amon-Ra St. Brown)," Raymond said. "It's like a brain wave before the play even starts, they just know. As long as guys just get more years together, more time together, bond, being here is huge. But let guys build up continuity to where when you get out there, you don't even need to talk. You just know what each other's thinking."
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I’m not a Raymond fan…so I’m tepid on that transaction

Comment

• He seems to make big plays when it’s unexpected.
                          Solid player, part of the glue that keeps it all together.

Comment

• Love the signing depending on the money. He’s not an every down weapon but a situational guy that’s shown to be really effective in Ben Johnson’s offense.

Down the stretch last year he was doing a bit of everything.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                              He seems to make big plays when it’s unexpected.
                              Solid player, part of the glue that keeps it all together.
                              Exactly. He’s like a Swiss Army knife for Ben Johnson. He’s never going to be a #1 but he has taken over games for the Lions when they’ve needed him
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I wasn't a big fan of Raymond until they relied on him last season when St.Brown was out. I'm sure the extension will not be big. This front office has been really good about not overpaying.

Comment

Working...
                                X