No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reason you keep the Sudder is because you can have him as an emergency 3rd QB and it gives you an extra spot on the GameDay roster. You get 46 players instead of 45, but that also means he has to be in the 53 man. The one way to look at it is Hooker is going to be on the IR for the season.

This is my yearly reminder that the cuts and projections for the Lions roster are fun things to talk about, but a lot of the guys who get cut find themselves back on thenteam due to injuries. The way the PS works now, the roster is more like a 70 man roster.

Comment

• #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Observations: Derrick Barnes Has Near Interception, Giants Step Up
        Detroit Lions Day 13 training camp observations.Here are observations from Day 13 of Detroit Lions training camp at the team's Allen Park practice facility.

1.) Guests in attendance at the team's practice facility included Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Mike Tirico and Chris Collinsworth.

2.) The Giants' offense, and the team as a whole, brought much more competitiveness and execution on Day 2. Daniel Jones and the offense was much improved from Tuesday, as they started 10-for-10 during an early 7-on-7 session.

The first incompletion came when safety Kerby Joseph tipped a pass intended for Darius Slayton. The 26-year-old wideout caused Detroit's defense troubles, as he recorded back-to-back touchdown grabs during a team period. He even secured three to four yards of separation on Cam Sutton, but Jones severely under threw him, allowing the pass to be broken up.

While Sutton made plays, the veteran defensive back was out of position on a couple of reps and was forced to adjust quickly on the fly, which he showcases an innate ability to do.
        Jones recorded at least five touchdowns during team drills and another two touchdowns during 7-on-7 sessions.

Another player, who would be a matchup nightmare for any defense, is tight end Darren Waller. At 6-foot-6, he was easily able to maneuver the field, even making a grab directly in front of C.J. Gardner-Johnson, who may have been forced to slow down the trash talking for 30 seconds, with a tight end barreling down at him.

3.) Riley Patterson enjoyed a strong day. He went 7-for-8, with his only miss being a wide left attempt from 51-yards out.

4.) New York's secondary made it difficult for the Lions offense at times. Rookie cornerback Deonte Banks broke up a pass intended for Amon-Ra St. Brown.

"I wouldn't say it's a welcome, but it's like a welcome to the league," Banks told All Lions following practice." (St. Brown) is a big-time receiver, and I got some reps against him, and it felt good."
        Giants UDFA, and former Michigan Wolverine Gemon Green, picked off a pass during 7-on-7 drills.

5.) Jared Goff tossed a sidearm touchdown pass to rookie tight end Sam LaPorta. The Iowa product had a strong two days of joint practices. In large part, however, it was a tough day for the Lions' offense. There were multiple fumbles by the unit.

6.) Backup quarterback Nate Sudfeld missed a wide-open Jameson Williams during 11-on-11 drills. The Alabama product had created plenty of separation, but Detroit's backup under threw him severely. Williams could not get anything going, but it was largely due to Detroit's quarterbacks not being able to get him the ball.

7.)Dylan Drummond, who has seen his stock rise throughout camp, was observed catching footballs after practice, alongside Amon-Ra St. Brown. "I just think there's an opportunity every single day after practice to do something to get just a little bit better," Drummond told All Lions. "I know I feel like every single day, if you just get a half-percent better, it stacks up in the long run. So, every single day I try to do at least one or two things, catch punts, catch balls in order to get better. I'll do that every day."

8.) A scuffle broke out between outside linebacker Oshane Ximines of the Giants and Lions offensive lineman Germain Ifedi during red zone drills.

9.) Running back Mohamed Ibrahim got the crowd on its feet when he shed a Giants defender forcefully and scored a touchdown during 11-on-11 work on the second-team.

10.) Marvin Jones made the grab of practice, as he worked against former Lions defensive back Amani Oruwariye and secured the pass from Sudfeld at the pylon.

11.) Derrick Barnes, who Dan Campbell highlighted as having a solid Day 1 against the Giants, nearly had an interception on Day 2.

“I write goals every day," Barnes told All Lions. "One of my goals was to get my hands on the ball. We always teach see the quarterback and break on it when he releases his hand. I did that and kind of got star struck a little bit and my eyes got big. But those are the plays I’ve gotta make. Had it in my hands. It was kind of weird, wobbling. I got too excited and ended up dropping it. Those plays, I’ve definitely gotta make. That’s leaving money out there on the field. So, definitely gotta make those plays for my team. It was overall a good break and I’m proud of myself for that.”

12.) It is time to have the conversation about Brian Branch earning the nickel cornerback job and playing early in his rookie season. He had another solid pass breakup and seems to be in position, step for step, with nearly every receiver he is locked up against. He worked primary with the first-team defense on Day 2.

13.) Wideout Denzel Mims, who returned Wednesday to practice, limped off the field during a special teams kickoff rep. It was unclear if the former second-round pick returned, as the Lions' defense was our primary focus on Wednesday.

14.) Jahmyr Gibbs ended practice with a spectacular grab with two Giants defenders draped all over him. While the Lions on the sideline were calling for a touchdown, officials ruled the catch incomplete.

Q&A: Malcolm Rodriguez

Q: What is your overall assessment of the two days of joint practices?

A: "It was good work, you know. Brings out a different type of competition. Everyone's amped up a little bit more than practicing against each other, so it's good competition. One of those things where we'll see how we do throughout the preseason."

Q: How did you feel about your performance?

A: "It was good. Had some good plays in there and always got mistakes to correct. So, it's always one of those things where each day I'm trying to get better and self-evaluate. Just gotta put the best film out there."

Q: What is your early impression of rookie linebacker Jack Campbell?

A: "He's a natural born leader. One of those things where he wants to take control and he's very vocal. So, he's a workhorse, he doesn't stop. He's got a motor, a high motor, so you love seeing a guy like that coming in."

Q: What were your expectations and hopes for your second training camp?

A: "Just be me. Just one of those things where I go out there and do my thing, not try to get out of the scheme and just stay in the system. It's one of those things, wherever I'm needed, I'll be at."

Q: You had a pass breakup during red zone drills. Take us through the play.

A: "So we're in quarters. I was man on the back, then back scats and it's just me and the corner working. I just push it and I'm man on the tight end. There's a lot of technique that goes into it and (linebackers coach Kelvin Sheppard) Shep does a good job of explaining that. Been working those drills, so it shows up. Stuff like that. You see that in a play, you're just taking your drill work into team stuff."

Q: What is your excitement level for the preseason opener on Friday?

A: "It's always fun going in there, playing a game against someone else. It brings a lot of juice. It's one of those things where the season is here. The energy level is gonna be there, I know it's gonna be packed, so it'll be a fun one."
        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Man, I'm sooo excited to see Brian Branch in action. The fact that he stuck around for Day 2 of the draft to be able to walk out on that stage made me like him right away. These training camp reports make it sound like he's going to be a man on a mission. I wonder if he is keeping a list of the players drafted before him like Amon Ra did??? I hope so. May the two of them become BFFs.

and it sounds like this practice wasn't great - I love it, keep the team humble and hungry.
          Last edited by kayrone; August 9, 2023, 01:56 PM.
          "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

7.)Dylan Drummond, who has seen his stock rise throughout camp, was observed catching footballs after practice, alongside Amon-Ra St. Brown. "I just think there's an opportunity every single day after practice to do something to get just a little bit better," Drummond told All Lions. "I know I feel like every single day, if you just get a half-percent better, it stacks up in the long run. So, every single day I try to do at least one or two things, catch punts, catch balls in order to get better. I'll do that every day."

F**k yes.. That's the way to be young man. St. Brown is motivating the young guys turning himself into a leader and instead of just talking about doing shit like J Williams does this kid is out getting the extra work in. He's a keeper
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
              Man, I'm sooo excited to see Brian Branch in action. The fact that he stuck around for Day 2 of the draft to be able to walk out on that stage made me like him right away. These training camp reports make it sound like he's going to be a man on a mission. I wonder if he is keeping a list of the players drafted before him like Amon Ra did??? I hope so. May the two of them become BFFs.

and it sounds like this practice wasn't great - I love it, keep the team humble and hungry.
              I love the Branch pick. Hell I'd have been happy drafting him in the first round let alone the 2nd
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I love the Branch pick. Hell I'd have been happy drafting him in the first round let alone the 2nd
                But would you have been 'shit happy'?
                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post

But would you have been 'shit happy'?
                  Man I certainly was
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Detroit Lions announce first preseason game alternate broadcast Aug 07, 2023 at 03:30 PM

DETROIT – The Detroit Lions announced today that they will offer an alternate broadcast of their first preseason game against the New York Giants at Ford Field on August 11, 2023 (kickoff 7 PM; main broadcasts on the Lions TV Network and Lions Radio Network).

The alternate broadcast, using Kiswe’s cloud production, will be hosted by Peter Schrager and will include live commentary and interviews from several guests. Fans can watch the alternate broadcast via www.detroitlions.com or on the Detroit Lions Mobile App.

"We are thrilled to produce our first ever Detroit Lions alternate broadcast with Kiswe," said Detroit Lions Director of Broadcasting Carl Moll. "This is a great opportunity to engage fans in a new and exciting way and we can't wait to see the final product as well as the reaction."

Guests scheduled to appear on the alternate game broadcast are:

Brad Holmes – Detroit Lions Executive Vice President and General Manager

Chris Spielman – Detroit Lions Special Assistant to the President/CEO and Chairperson

Gary Danielson – Detroit Lions QB (1976-84), current lead college football analyst for CBS Sports (Big Ten)

Glover Quin – Detroit Lions S (2013-18)

Golden Tate – Detroit Lions WR (2014-18)

Jalen Rose – 13-year NBA career, former University of Michigan basketball standout and Detroit native

Kirk Gibson – Detroit Tigers outfielder (1979-87), Michigan State University football & baseball All-American and Pontiac, Mich. native

Darren McCarty - Detroit Red Wings RW (1993-2004, 2007-09) and four-time Stanley Cup Champion

Dave Birkett - Detroit Lions beat writer for the Detroit Free Press and Pro Football Hall of Fame voter

Stacey Dales - NFL Network reporter and WNBA player (2002-07)

"We are excited to provide the Detroit Lions with our industry leading cloud-based production solution," said Kiswe CEO Glenn Booth. "Our partnership will enable the Detroit Lions to efficiently create alternate broadcasts using remote production and provide fans with engaging viewing experiences."

Peter Schrager hosts Good Morning Football on NFL Network and is a national reporter for FOX Sports 1, a senior NFL writer for FOXSports.com and an NFL sideline reporter for FOX Sports. Outside of his work in the NFL, Schrager has covered the Olympics and the NBA for FOX and has been a frequent contributor to GQ
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• yay - that will give me something to do during the down time at my niece's rehearsal dinner - if I strategically cover my earbuds with my hair, maybe no one will notice...
                      "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Takeaways From Giants-Lions Joint Practices

Here are several things All Lions learned following joint practices.Here are several takeaways from the Detroit Lions two joint practices with the New York Giants.

C.J. Gardner-Johnson should play safety

The veteran playing safety along with the rising Kerby Joseph allows Detroit's defense to get rookie Brian Branch on the field.

"Well, he's a highly instinctive player. I think sometimes this may get lost with C.J. He's an excellent communicator as well, excellent communicator," said Dan Campbell. "And so, you just kind of see the growth of he and Kerby (Joseph) together and I believe it's elevating Kerby's game as well. I believe you potentially have a couple of dynamic safeties back there that have versatility, so that's what we like about having him back there and knowing he can play nickel certainly."

Brian Branch is a starter

On Day 12, Branch was playing with the first-team defense against the Giants at the nickel position.

All throughout camp, Detroit's second-round pick shows up in notes making plays, being in position and forcing pass breakups.

His play has earned him the right for more playing time, including being the team's starting nickel cornerback.

Rookie offensive weapons hold their own

Tight end Sam LaPorta and Jahmyr Gibbs showcased why the team invested early draft selections in order to add them to the roster.

Both have quickly become reliable targets alongside Amon-Ra St. Brown.

All throughout the two days, both were able to secure receptions, and Detroit's speedy back even went viral, when he toasted linebacker Bobby Okereke.

Dylan Drummond can make Lions 53-man roster.

A player willing to come in and put in the work, Drummond has been among the camp standouts since training camp began.

His consistency and willingness to embrace Detroit's gritty culture has put himself in the position to make the roster coming out of training camp.

When asked about moving up the depth chart, Drummond told All Lions after practice, "I think of it more like, I just try to continue to be in the right spot and do the right thing, and I think the rest just takes care of itself."

Playing with a veteran like Jared Goff, reinforces the need to be in the right spot and to understand the why of each given play.

"Obviously he's an incredible player," Drummond said. "But same type of thing, whenever I'm on the field with him, I just try to be in the right spot, and I know he'll find a way to get the ball to me, if I'm the guy who's supposed to get the ball."

Aidan Hutchinson clearly has more tools in his toolbox

The second-year defensive lineman has added more tools in his pass-rush arsenal, and they were on full display during one-on-one reps.

“I feel like he’s got more in his toolbox," said Campbell. "He was already a confident player, but you can just see he is, he has a ton of confidence. You see these tools come out that have elevated his game. He’s got a counter-move, he’s got a spin, he’s got a bull. He’s violent-shed in the run game, he sets an edge, he’s a big man, he’s got a high motor. He’s taken it up a notch. That’s what you want to see.”

Jameson Williams stalled

The reason the speedy wideout did not shine during the past two days occurred for a myriad of reasons.

Missing practice time clearly hindered his chemistry with Detroit's quarterbacks.

Unfortunately, Detroit's signal-callers under threw him and did not target him nearly enough over the course of the two days.
                        While the former No. 12 overall pick can clearly make the big catch and is finding his speed an advantage, opponents are not shying away from being physical with the ex-Crimson Tide wideout.

Williams will need to showcase more over the course of the next few weeks, ahead of his six-game suspension.

Nate Sudfeld's job in jeopardy

While the team could keep him on the 53-man roster, carrying three quarterbacks might not be the best use of roster space, given the need along the interior of the defensive line and potentially depth along the offensive line.

The coaching staff openly clamored to bring in another signal-caller in Teddy Bridgewater, who should easily slot in as Detroit's No. 2 quarterback behind Jared Goff.

Sudfeld has not done enough to warrant keeping him on the roster through the early portion of camp, so the three preseason games will be critical for Sudfeld's future.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• That doesn't sound good for the Sudder.

Comment

• I guess my question is why wouldn't they keep Sudfeld in the 3rd QB spot? That particular spot goes to the #3 QB and him alone, if I remember the rule correctly.

Unless the Lions think Hooker will be ready to go sooner than anyone expects?

Comment

• #birdsarentreal

Comment

• #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X