No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive never heard of the International Pathway program before....

Comment

• Must have asked Brock Wright what he thought was comfortable in.
      Yeah I’m good in a back up role.
      Effin media

Comment

• Lions Sign First-Round LB Jack Campbell

May 23rd, 2023 at 3:10pm CST by Sam Robinson

The second of the Lions’ two first-round picks is now under contract. The team announced Jack Campbell signed his rookie deal Tuesday.

While the Lions still have some work to do to finish their draft class deals, Campbell is now attached to his four-year rookie pact that will run through 2026. Three years from now, the Lions will have the opportunity to extend the Iowa-developed linebacker’s deal through 2027 via the fifth-year option.

One of this year’s most surprising first-round picks, Campbell went to Detroit at No. 18 despite ranking 49th on Daniel Jeremiah’s NFL.com big board and 57th on Scouts Inc.’s pre-draft board. GM Brad Holmes addressed the disparities between their first-rounders’ draft slots, with Jahmyr Gibbs going off the board at No. 12, and media assessments. While Holmes said he probably could have traded down and acquired Campbell later in Round 1, he did not want to take the chance.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• David Montgomery: Bears’ losing “sucked the fun out of the game for me”

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2023, 4:40 AM EDT

Getty Images

After four seasons with the Bears, running back David Montgomery signed with the Lions this offseason. And he thinks he’s going to win a whole lot more in Detroit than he did in Chicago.

Montgomery said in a video posted by the Lions that playing for the Bears last year, when they went 3-14 and had the worst record in the NFL, was an unpleasant experience because he’s a competitor who wants to win.

“That’s all I was used to,” Montgomery said of the Bears’ losing, via NBCSportsChicago.com. “And it got to a point where it sucked the fun out of the game for me because I’m a competitor. I like to compete. That’s what football’s about. It’s so refreshing to be in a place where that’s appreciated.”

Montgomery talked about Detroit’s potential to win as one of the reasons he signed there. That hasn’t often been said about the Lions, but after they went 8-2 in their last 10 games last season, they have a lot of optimism for this season. And Montgomery is glad to be a part of it.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Lions agree to terms with Germain Ifedi

Posted by Charean Williams on May 23, 2023, 6:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

Veteran offensive lineman Germain Ifedi is signing with the Lions, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports.

The Falcons released Ifedi a week ago, saving $940,000 in cap space.

Ifedi played every game as a reserve for the Falcons last season but only eight of his 80 snaps came on offense.

A first-round pick of the Seahawks in 2016, Ifedi started 83 of the 85 games he played for Seattle and Chicago before moving to Atlanta last season.

He has played both right tackle and right guard in his career.

Comment

• Matt Nelson has some competition for OT #3. Oh boy.
              This roster spot is huge because the Lions had fortunate injury luck at OT with Decker and Sewell last season. One spot that’s spooky to have an injury…

I’ve never heard of the guy the Lions released for Ifedi. Isaac Darkangelo.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Ifedi would be a disaster as our starter but in a oh shit backup role. Totally fine with it. Smart move whether he makes the team or not
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                  Ifedi would be a disaster as our starter but in a oh shit backup role. Totally fine with it. Smart move whether he makes the team or not
                  He's much better at Guard

Comment

• Calvin Johnson attends Lions’ OTAs, says he’s a fan of Dan Campbell

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2023, 4:43 PM EDT

Getty Images

For many years after he retired, Hall of Fame wide receiver Calvin Johnson had a frosty relationship with the Lions. That is no longer the case.

In fact, Johnson was on the practice field today at the Lions’ Organized Team Activities and hugged head coach Dan Campbell, and Johnson told Ryan Ermanni of Fox 2 in Detroit that he has enjoyed getting to know the current coaching staff.

“Being able to talk to the coaches and whatnot, it’s very cool,” Johnson said. “I’m a fan of the game, I’m a fan of Dan and the coaching staff he has over there because I know how much the team will learn from that, will glean from that. It’s very exciting the way they ended last year, it’s very exciting the way they’re going into this year.”

When Johnson retired, the Lions forced him to pay back $1.6 million of his signing bonus, and that angered Johnson. Although the Lions had a contractual right to do it, teams often decide not to squeeze money out of their retired players, especially players like Johnson, who was one of the greatest in franchise history on the field as well as a good representative of the team off the field. It’s easy to understand why Johnson’s feathers were ruffled.

But the Lions are a different team now, with a different chief operating officer, different member of the Ford family acting as owner and a different head coach, all of whom have made an effort to improve the franchise’s relationship with Johnson. It appears to be working, as one of the best ever to put on a Lions uniform is on board with where the team is going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

He's much better at Guard
                      I’d hope so because he’s bottom of the league as a starting tackle.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Lions OTA reports later today! Yay.

I would also like to read that Emmanuel Moseley is walking around and indirectly involved with the team. Maybe a quote from the coaching staff about his status. Significant player if the Lions are going to make a run this season…

Not saying it will happen, but I’m nervous that Jerry Jacobs will have the Alphonso Smith-like trajectory with the Lions. Nobody had a strong opinion about Smith starting early on. Mixed results and flashes of good/bad. Then THAT game vs NE happened to Smith. I hope my worries are put to rest as Jacobs balls out. We’ll have a good idea week 1 vs KC when Jacobs has the spotlight.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• DC with the Holmes T-Shirt

Comment

• 5 things to watch: 2023 Detroit Lions OTAs

May 23, 2023 at 07:00 AM
                            Tim Twentyman Senior Writer
                            The third phase of the offseason training program begins this week for the Detroit Lions. It's an opportunity for coaches and players to ramp up football activities.

This phase of the training program goes for the next four weeks in which teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or "OTAs". No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted. The team can also hold a three-day mandatory minicamp (June 6-8) during this period. One in every three OTA practices is open to the media in its entirety, which this week falls on Thursday.

Here are five things to look out for during OTAs:

1. Revamped secondary

We get our first look at Detroit's revamped secondary after the signings of Cam Sutton, C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Emmanuel Moseley in free agency and the drafting of Brian Branch in the second round.

Moseley is still rehabbing a torn ACL suffered last season, so he likely won't be out there, but everyone else should be taking part, including veteran safety Tracy Walker, who missed most of last year with an Achilles injury.

Where do the Lions line up Gardner-Johnson? Who's running with the first team at the other outside cornerback spot opposite Sutton? How does Branch fit into the mix?

The Lions spent a lot of resources trying to improve their 32nd ranked defense from last season, and the heavy lifting was in the secondary. It will be fun to see what it looks like on the field.

2. Dynamic duo

We didn't get an opportunity to see first-round pick Jahmyr Gibbs in the open rookie minicamp practice because the team was being cautious with him after he tweaked an ankle in the first practice on Friday.

The hope is to see Gibbs and newly signed veteran David Montgomery as a duo in Detroit's backfield this week for the first time. Both players are productive runners but also really good pass catchers. That could allow them to see the field together at times.

The Lions rushed for more than 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, and with Gibbs and Montgomery there's a belief the Lions' run game could be even better in 2023.

3. Right guard spot

Detroit returns arguably one of the top offensive lines in football, and that unit might have gotten better in the offseason with Halapoulivaati Vaitai returning from a back injury that forced him to miss the entire 2022 season, plus the addition of veteran Graham Glasgow. The Lions also drafted Colby Sorsdal in the fifth round and have moved him to guard.

The competition for the starting right guard spot won't ramp up until training camp, but it will be interesting to see who takes the first reps alongside Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson, Frank Ragnow and Penei Sewell at the first open OTA. Will they rotate players in? What's the order at right guard to begin OTAs?

4. LB roles

The team drafted linebacker Jack Campbell No. 18 overall in last month's NFL Draft and expect him to make an immediate impact. Veteran Alex Anzalone returns at the MIKE after signing a new three-year contract in the offseason, and the expectation is for Anzalone and Campbell to eventually man the two stacked linebacker spots in Detroit's defense.

Where does that leave Malcolm Rodriguez, who had a solid rookie season and is expected to be even better in Year 2? Derrick Barnes was playing some pretty good ball at the end of last season and he's entering his third season. What is the plan for the linebacker room in 2023?

5. Second-year leaps

Players and coaches talk about it all the time. The biggest leap we typically see in a young NFL player's development is between their first and second seasons. There's a comfort level that sets in having been through an entire NFL season, and the game typically slows down for them in Year 2.

The Lions got a lot of really good contributions from their rookie class last season, led by Defensive Rookie of the Year runner-up Aidan Hutchinson. It's fair to expect a monster second season from Hutchinson after he recorded 9.5 sacks and three interceptions as a rookie.

Wide receiver Jameson Williams is expected to be a big part of the offense once he returns from serving a six-game suspension for breaking the NFL's gambling policy. Defensive lineman Josh Paschal is healthy after dealing with some early injuries as a rookie. He has a chance to be a surprise contributor this year.

Safety Kerby Joseph became a starter and impact player (three interceptions of Aaron Rodgers in 2022) as a rookie, and he'll likely have a big role.

Tight end James Mitchell showed some good things. So did Rodriguez. Linebacker James Houston had a monster second half of the season (eight sacks) and enters 2023 with high expectations. Cornerback Chase Lucas will try to carve out a role on special teams and defense.

If all these players are even better in Year 2, the Lions are in business to make some noise in the NFC.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Campbell: We’re already miles ahead with Jameson Williams

Posted by Josh Alper on May 25, 2023, 1:39 PM EDT

Getty Images

Lions wide receiver Jameson Williams didn’t get a chance to do on-field work with the team last spring because he was recovering from a torn ACL, so he’s getting his first taste of their offseason program this year.

The work appears to be paying off. Lions head coach Dan Campbell said on Thursday that the club has already seen growth from the 2022 first-round pick.

“We’re already miles ahead with him,” Campbell said, via Christian Booher of SI.com. “We didn’t even get this with him last year, he wasn’t able to do any of it. Just to be able to build from the ground up not in the season. He’s already in, here we go. Three weeks, four weeks, you see progress. He’s got a lot of room to grow and develop and he needs this time. We’ve gotta sharpen every little thing with him. Sharpen the routes, sharpen all of it, like any of the guys.”

Williams will have to wait a bit before showing any of his new skills off in a regular season game because of the six-game suspension he received for violating the league’s gambling policy. Campbell said the team won’t lament what happened, but will focus on what they can do to move forward and that starts with doing “the most work we can” before Williams has to step away from the team.

Comment

• TIM AND MIKE: OTA Week 1 observations

May 25, 2023 at 04:32 PM
                                Tim Twentyman & Mike OHara
                                Detroitlions.com Writers

Leaving early: Running back David Montgomery and linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez left Detroit's open OTA practice early Thursday after suffering apparent injuries. Montgomery injured his left leg after making a cut in individual drills. He walked off gingerly back to the locker room with a trainer. – Tim Twentyman

Race to the goal line: Running back Jermar Jefferson caught a pass in the flat during a 7-on-7 period, made a man miss and took off down the right sideline. Rookie linebacker Jack Campbell was determined to chase him down, and the two ran about 50 yards down the right sideline to the goal line. Campbell ran with Jefferson step for step, showing off his wheels at nearly 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds. – Tim Twentyman

On the run: Watching rookie running back Jahmyr Gibbs run drills made it apparent why the Lions drafted him 12th overall. He can cut back at full speed without slowing down, and he caught passes out of the backfield without breaking stride. – Mike O'Hara

Campbell on first week of OTA practices
                                Interior opportunity: With Frank Ragnow and Jonah Jackson not taking part in Thursday's voluntary OTA practice, newly signed lineman Graham Glasgow got a lot of work at center with the first-team offense. Halapoulivaati Vaitai played a lot of right guard and Kayode Awosika got some good run at left guard. – Tim Twentyman

Backfield quickness: One thing that stood out to me Thursday watching the individual running back period with new Lions assistant head coach and running backs coach Scottie Montgomery is this group of backs is so much quicker and more explosive. There is going to be great competition in that room for roster spots. And whichever backs make it are going to have an opportunity to bring the big play back to the Lions' run game running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league. – Tim Twentyman

Versatile defenders: Veteran C.J. Gardner-Johnson and rookie Brian Branch are going to be versatile players in Aaron Glenn's defense. Glenn said Thursday before practice he planned to play Gardner-Johnson at safety and nickel corner, and that's exactly what we saw in practice. Branch did the same thing, playing nickel and safety. What a great situation for Branch to come in and learn from a vet like Gardner-Johnson. – Tim Twentyman

Role playing: Special teams coordinator Dave Fipp said he could see how rookie wide receiver Antoine Green may contribute on special teams. At 6-2, 199 pounds and a time of 4.47 in the 40, he has the physical traits for it. – Mike O'Hara

Good to see: Third-year defensive lineman Levi Onwuzurike didn't take part in practice Thursday but he was spotted off to the side working on his stance and firing off the ball. That's encouraging to see with him coming off a back injury that cost him the entire 2022 season. – Tim Twentyman

Deep threat: Second-year wide receiver Jameson Williams is expected to stretch the field for the Lions' offense with his rare speed. We saw a little bit of that Thursday. Both Jared Goff and Nate Sudfeld targeted Williams deep with one in particular from Sudfeld a beautiful bomb down the center of the field that Williams couldn't quite track in with cornerback Starling Thomas in pretty good coverage. It hit Williams in the hands, and he'll probably tell us he should have had it. Watching Williams Thursday, it's easy to see why the Lions are excited about him. He is so quick coming out of breaks and gains separation from defenders easily. – Tim Twentyman

Play of the day: This belongs to veteran safety Brady Breeze, who jumped a route ran by wide receiver Kalif Raymond on a ball thrown by Sudfeld for an interception late in a team period that ended practice for the veterans and won the period for the defense. – Tim Twentyman

Chomping at the bit: Veteran safety Tracy Walker took part in some walkthrough stuff at practice, but the Lions are still being careful with him as he continues to rehab a torn Achilles suffered Week 3 last year. Walker is running and moving pretty darn well, and said he's chomping at the bit to get into the thick of things. He expects to be full go by the start of training camp. – Tim Twentyman​

Comment

Working...
                                X