No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions sign third-rounder Hendon Hooker, two other picks and 15 undrafted free agents

Posted by Josh Alper on May 12, 2023, 9:44 AM EDT

Getty Images

Quarterback Hendon Hooker has signed his first NFL contract.

The Lions announced Hooker’s signing on Friday morning. The third-round pick has agreed to a four-year deal with the team.

Hooker is recovering from a torn ACL and Lions head coach Dan Campbell has called this a redshirt season for the former Tennessee starter. Jared Goff will be the starter in Detroit this season and Hooker could be the No. 2 if his knee recovery goes well.

Fifth-round offensive lineman Colby Sorsdal and seventh-round wide receiver Antoine Green have agreed to deals with the Lions as well. The team also announced 15 undrafted free agent signings with the team’s rookie minicamp getting underway.

The undrafted additions are South Florida offensive lineman Brad Cecil, Oregon wide receiver Chase Cota, Illinois linebacker Isaac Darkangelo, N.C. State defensive lineman Cory Durden, Baylor offensive lineman Connor Galvin, Marshall cornerback Steven Gilmore, Minnesota running back Mohamed Ibrahim, Notre Dame safety Brandon Joseph, Kansas State quarterback Adrian Martinez, Akron defensive lineman Zach Morton, Saginaw Valley State linebacker Trevor Nowaske, Notre Dame defensive lineman Chris Smith, UCF offensive lineman Ryan Swoboda, UAB cornerback Starling Thomas V, and Virgina wide receiver Keytaon Thompson.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Tim Twentyman takes a look at 5 things to watch as the Detroit Lions begin rookie minicamp.

5 things to watch: Rookie minicamp

May 12, 2023 at 11:50 AM
      Tim Twentyman Senior Writer
      The Detroit Lions have their rookie minicamp scheduled for this weekend, which means we get to see Detroit's draft picks, undrafted free agents and tryout players on the field in a Lions uniform for the first time.

It's a fun time in the offseason as the rookies get their first taste of NFL life while preparing to join the veterans in OTAs in the coming weeks.

Here are five things I'll be looking out for during Saturday's open practice to the media:

1. Gibbs' versatility

Detroit used the No. 12 overall pick on Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs, but the Lions view him as much more than just a running back.

"I know a lot will be said, 'You acquired a running back in the first round?' We didn't acquire a running back in the first round," Lions general manager Brad Holmes said. "We acquired an elite weapon to keep our offense explosive in the first round."

The Lions plan to line Gibbs up all over the field to utilize his 4.3 speed both handing the ball off and throwing it to him. That means some reps at receiver too. Where does he line up this weekend? How much can that speed make an impact?

2. Where does Branch fit in?

Some analysts believe second-round pick Brian Branch was the Day 2 steal of the draft. He started for Nick Saban at Alabama as a freshman, which says a little something about his maturity, football IQ and his versatile skillset.

Branch played mainly as a nickel corner in Alabama's defense, but he can also play either safety spots and is expected to be a matchup piece in Aaron Glenn's defense in Detroit. He's a first-round talent the Lions were able to acquire in Round 2. Where do we see him line up the most this weekend?

3. Helping to stop the run

The Lions ranked 29th against the run last season and two rookies drafted in the first three rounds – linebacker Jack Campbell (first round) and defensive tackle Brodric Martin (third round) – are expected to be impact players in helping Detroit be better in that aspect of the defense in 2023.

Campbell was the top-ranked linebacker in the draft and was a beast against the run at Iowa. He racked up 265 tackles the last two seasons. Campbell is also no slouch against the pass. He allowed only 236 yards on 418 coverage snaps last season for a 92.9 coverage grade that led all linebackers.

Martin is a massive 6-foot-5, 330-pound interior defender with long arms and a motor that never quits. Martin projects to play nose tackle for the Lions, though his skillset might allow him to move to some other techniques and be more versatile.

4. LaPorta skillset

The Lions were really high on Sam LaPorta’s skillset as the second tight end selected in a historically deep tight end draft class in 2023. The Lions have an opening for a No. 1 tight end to emerge, though they like the overall depth in that room with veterans Brock Wright, James Mitchell and Shane Zylstra in the mix.

LaPorta is tough with his run-after-catch ability being his best ability. Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson proved last year he can scheme an offense for tight end success with the team recording a franchise-record 12 touchdowns from the tight end position in 2023.

LaPorta split his time at Iowa lined up almost equally inline and out wide and in the slot. How will Johnson and the Lions use him early on?

5. Undrafted rookies

Holmes and head coach Dan Campbell have always viewed their roster as an opportunity for players because they don't care how a player gets to the roster. If they can play, they will be on the field.

Players like cornerback Jerry Jacobs and Wright – plus a few others – have certainly proven that to be the case over the last couple seasons.

The Lions roster isn't at the same place it was when Holmes and Campbell took over two years ago. It will be tough for this group of undrafted rookies to crack the 53-man roster, but there's always an opportunity.

A couple names I'll have an eye on Saturday are: Running back Mohamed Ibrahim (Minnesota), wide receiver Chase Cota (Oregon), defensive lineman Cory Durden (North Carolina State) and wide receiver Keytaon Thompson (Virginia).
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• TWENTYMAN: A closer look at the Lions' undrafted rookie free agents
        TWENTYMAN: A closer look at the Lions' undrafted rookie free agents

May 12, 2023 at 09:37 AM Tim Twentyman Senior Writer

General manager Brad Holmes and the Detroit Lions got to work following the conclusion of the seventh round of the NFL Draft, working the phones to sign undrafted free agents.

Holmes told the Twentyman in the Huddle podcast after the draft he was excited about this year's group of undrafted free-agent signings, and three players they secured were actually on their draft board, though he opted not to go into specific names until the players were signed and in the building for rookie minicamp this weekend.

The Lions had a number of undrafted free agents make big impacts over Holmes' first couple years in Detroit, including cornerback Jerry Jacobs and tight end Brock Wright. Can Holmes find more contributors in 2023?

Here's a closer look at the undrafted free agents the Lions have signed:

OL Brad Cecil, South Florida: Played 53 games and made 50 starts, primarily at center, in five seasons to tie for second all-time at USF in both categories.

WR Chase Cota, Oregon: A UCLA transfer in 2023, Cota set career-highs with 36 receptions for 497 yards last season in his one year at Oregon. Offseason workout photos: May 10, 2023

LB Isaac Darkangelo, Illinois: A Detroit Catholic Central grad, Darkangelo notched 71 tackles (42 solo) with 7.5 tackles for loss, a sack and a fumble recovery in 13 games for the Illini in 2022.

DL Cory Durden, North Carolina State: Started his career at Florida State and transferred to NCS in 2021. He recorded 27 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and a pass defended in 13 games last season. He had 4.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks in 2021.

OL Connor Galvin, Baylor: The Big 12 Conference Offensive Lineman of the Year was a 14-game starter in 2021. Galvin was a second team all-league selection as a senior, starting all 13 games at left tackle to set a school record with 50 career starts.

CB Steven Gilmore, Marshall: Gilmore has terrific length at over six foot tall with a history of good ball production. He's produced seven interceptions and 29 passes defended in the last three seasons at Marshall.

RB Mohamed Ibrahim, Minnesota: Set a Minnesota record with 1,665 yards rushing and 320 carries (5.2 average) last season with 20 touchdowns. Notched 53 career touchdowns and 24 100-yard rushing games in five seasons for the Golden Gophers.

S Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame: Transferred to Notre Dame in 2022 after earning All-American honors with six interceptions at Northwestern in 2020. Had an interception he returned for a touchdown for the Irish last season and also returns punts.

QB Adrian Martinez, Kansas State: Martinez, who reportedly visited with the Lions in the pre-draft process, threw for 1,261 yards and ran for 627 more and 10 touchdowns for the Wildcats last season. Before transferring to Kansas State, he set a Nebraska record with 10,792 yards of total offense.

DL Zach Morton, Akron: Morton had 28 tackles (12 solo), eight tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks for the Zips. He started his career at Syracuse before transferring to Akron in 2021.

LB Trevor Nowaske, Saginaw Valley State: Played in 11 games in 2022 and recorded 98 tackles (48 solo) with 9.5 tackles for loss and one sack. Also led the Cardinals with four interceptions and seven pass breakups.

DL Chris Smith, Notre Dame: A Harvard transfer, Smith played in 13 games making five starts in his lone season at Notre Dame. Recorded 17 total tackles and a forced fumble, and was a key contributor on the defensive goal line unit.

OL Ryan Swoboda, Central Florida: Started 11 of UVA's 12 games at right tackle. Was part of a UVA line that helped Virginia average 515.8 yards of total offense, the third most of any FBS program. Measured in at 6-foot-9, 319 pounds at the Combine.

CB Starling Thomas V, Alabama-Birmingham: Had 23 pass breakups the past two seasons after missing 2020 with a knee injury. Also returned punts and kickoffs at UAB.

WR Keytaon Thompson, Virginia: A big target (6-4, 215), Thompson started the first eight games of the 2022 season before missing the final two due to injury. Led the Cavaliers in receptions (53) and receiving yards (579) and was second in the ACC and 12th in the nation with 6.6 receptions per game. He had 78 catches for 990 yards in 2021.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Rookie minicamp highlights

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Jahmyr Gibbs: I really don’t care that people think Lions drafted me too early

Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2023, 9:35 AM EDT

USA Today Sports

The Lions raised some eyebrows last month when they drafted running back Jahmyr Gibbs with the 12th overall pick.

Gibbs was a productive player at Alabama, but teams have gone away from using high draft picks on running backs in recent years and few predicted Gibbs would buck that trend before the Lions handed in their pick. That led to some criticism of the team’s decision-making process, but Gibbs said he was not paying any mind to those who felt that way.

“Everybody’s entitled to their opinion, I really don’t care,” Gibbs said, via Bob Wojnowski of the Detroit News. “It feels great to be a part of something special. Going up, moving forward, it’ll be fun to watch.”

Gibbs didn’t practice on Saturday because of an ankle injury, but there’s no thought that it’s a serious issue for the rookie. The Lions will be hoping that no other aches and pains get in the way of Gibbs’ ascent to a major role in their offense.

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• O'HARA: What we learned from rookie minicamp

May 15, 2023 at 07:00 AM Mike OHara Columnist

Brian Branch has been a member of the Detroit Lions for less than two weeks, but he arrived with some knowledge of Detroit and the Lions from his connection with Hall of Fame wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

"I know a good bit," Branch said during the Lions' rookie minicamp. "Calvin Johnson went to my high school (Sandy Creek in Metro Atlanta)."

Branch also studied videos of the Lions' secondary after they drafted him in the second round to put to use his multiple skills at cornerback, safety and nickel back that he showed at Alabama.

Branch is prepared to make the jump to the Lions and the rigors of the NFL.

What we learned from other Lions' draft picks – quarterback Hendon Hooker, offensive lineman Colby Sorsdal and defensive lineman Brodric Martin --- is that being prepared is the rule for the Lions' 2023 rookie class, not the exception.

We start with Branch and his knowledge of his new workplace:

Branch studied videos of last year's games to see where he fits in the defensive schemes.

"I want to see how they do things here, to give me an advantage with the defense," Branch said.

Away from the video studies was the emotional reaction of the Lions playing the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs in the opening game of the 2023 season.

"That's big – yes sir," said Branch, who played big games at Alabama. "I know everybody's excited. We're excited. Kansas City's a good team.

"It's big to be playing the first game."

Comment

Comment

• He said he watches and tries to emulate guys like Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox. If he can be 80% of those guys this is a huge win.

Comment

• Like...

Comment

• TIM AND MIKE: Rookie minicamp observations

May 13, 2023 at 01:23 PM Tim Twentyman & Mike OHara Detroitlions.com Writers

Sitting out: Running back Jahmyr Gibbs didn't take part in Saturday's open rookie minicamp practice after tweaking an ankle in practice Friday. Gibbs said the injury was minor and the Lions are just being cautious sitting him out. Defensive back Brian Branch also sat out with an undisclosed injury but said afterward it was no big deal. Undrafted free agent cornerback Steven Gilmore also didn't practice Saturday. – Tim Twentyman

Familiar foe: Linebacker Jack Campbell and tight end Sam LaPorta were teammates and roommates at Iowa, and that's made them close friends and staunch competitors. The two squared off in special teams coverage drill where LaPorta put a great juke more on Campbell to get by him. He shot Campbell a look back and a little wave as he went by. – Tim Twentyman

Speaking of LaPorta: I thought he showed Saturday exactly why the Lions took him so high in the second round. He made plays all over the field – deep, intermediate and short. He's great at gaining separation at the top of his route and he's got some sizzle with the ball in his hands after the catch. I thought he was one of the best players on the field Saturday. – Tim Twentyman

Smooth operator I: At 6-5 and 249 pounds, Campbell might seem to be a little too tall to be effective covering passes. That does not appear to be the case. On one pass-coverage drill, he stuck to a running back coming out of the backfield like he was fly paper. – Mike O'Hara

Smooth operator II: On the other side of the ball, LaPorta ran routes as if he were planning to play wide receiver. – Mike O'Hara

QB presence: It was pretty impressive to watch quarterback Hendon Hooker during stretching at the beginning of practice going around to all his teammates. He chatted up some of the coaches too. Hooker is still rehabbing a torn ACL and not taking part in on-field activities, but even without taking part in practice he was making his presence felt. Hooker exudes a ton of confidence, and seems like he'll be a very likable teammate. – Tim Twentyman

Man in the middle: There were no kid gloves given to Campbell. He was right in the center of Aaron Glenn's defense at the MIKE calling plays and leading the defense Saturday. He looks the part with terrific size yet smooth movement skills. – Tim Twentyman

Lone wolf: With Gibbs not taking part in practice Saturday, undrafted free agent Mohamed Ibrahim was the only running back at practice. That meant a lot of work for him. Ibrahim caught just 22 passes in five years at Minnesota, but he showed good hands Saturday. He might have caught more balls Saturday in 7-on-7 and team drills at Lions practice than he did in five years at Minnesota. – Tim Twentyman

Long-range plan: Making it to the NFL has been defensive tackle Brodric Martin's goal since he was five years old. Martin said he prayed on it every day. – Mike O'Hara

Caught my eye: Watch out for Eastern Michigan University wide receiver Dylan Drummond who is here trying out. He's super quick and made a lot of nice plays Saturday. He also has good size (6-0, 194). – Tim Twentyman
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Brian Branch speaks to the media during rookie minicamp

Comment

• Jahmyr Gibbs speaks to the media during rookie minicamp

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                                He said he watches and tries to emulate guys like Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox. If he can be 80% of those guys this is a huge win.
                                He's so humble and well-spoken. "the best ability is availability" is a good quote to hear from a young player.

Comment

Working...
                                X