No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not trying to run down the great attitude or MCDC type but they Gibbs had a really hard upbringing and he's just a really great kid. I'm really glad that he's on the team because he's immensely talented but hearing that makes it even easier to root for the kid

While most scouts had Texas running back Bijan Robinson as the top in this year’s class, Gibbs was far and away the second-best ranked back in this class by McGinn’s sources. But there was one scout who actually had Gibbs over Robinson.

“Very, very similar to Kamara,” that scout said. “That slick sort of movement and balance. Multi-talented, catches, runs. He’s got all that, man. His skill-set will play well in the league. You could make that comparison (with Aaron Jones), but Aaron is a little straightlinish. This guy has a little bit more movement.”

He also checks the character box, according to another scout.

“Runs hard. Got vision. Can get the corner. He’s been through a lot in his life. Kind of had a rough upbringing … really overcome a lot. Really, really a good kid.”

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• What'st the story on Justin Jackson? He's still a free agent. I thought he was a pretty good backup RB

Comment

• He's a candidate for the Cason Bus.

Comment

• I like Jackson more then Reynolds. He was playing over him at the end of the year. More burst and speed to get those 1st downs.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
            I like Jackson more then Reynolds. He was playing over him at the end of the year. More burst and speed to get those 1st downs.
            Agreed.

I wish Swift would have played out his last year. He tried playing through injuries last year but when he’s on he’s on. He’ll kill it in Philly

when he’s healthy
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I just thought he had a good chance to stay relatively healthy (for a RB) if he had less touches. Oh well.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Detroit Lions add new Australian tight end through NFL’s international program

The Detroit Lions were one of eight teams who were awarded a player through this year’s NFL International Player Pathway program. As the league announced on Thursday morning, the Lions have added tight end Patrick Murtagh from Australia.

The Lions, among the other seven teams, will now carry their assigned player, Murtagh, all the way through training camp. They will then have the option to keep that player on their practice squad as an extra exemption. Of course, the player could always just make the 53-man roster on their own merit, as well. In the meantime, he does not count against the team’s 90-man roster.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/...tional-program

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not my man Meech! Dam

Lions waive Stanley Berryhill, Mac McCain, Demetrius Taylor

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 9, 2023, 12:41 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions have made some adjustments to their offseason roster, cutting three players on Tuesday.

Detroit has waived receiver Stanley Berryhill, cornerback Mac McCain, and defensive lineman Demetrius Taylor, the team announced.

Berryhill appeared in four games for Detroit last season, playing 34 special teams snaps and six offensive snaps. He signed a futures deal with the club in January. He was recently suspended six games for betting on non-NFL games from an NFL facility.

McCain signed with Detroit in February after going between the Broncos and Eagles for the last two seasons. He recorded three tackles in two games for Philadelphia in 2021.

Taylor signed with the Lions as an undrafted free agent out of Appalachian State last year. He spent most of the season on the practice squad, appearing in one game for Detroit in 2022.

Comment

• Dan Campbell: We like that Hendon Hooker is older

Posted by Josh Alper on May 9, 2023, 9:28 AM EDT

Getty Images

Quarterback Hendon Hooker’s age got a lot of notice heading into this year’s draft.

At 25, he’s more seasoned than most rookies entering the league and that was seen as a drawback for some because of the time it might take for him to develop into a starter. The Lions did not let Hooker’s age keep them from making him the 68th overall pick last month and head coach Dan Campbell said on the Green Light with Chris Long podcast that the team views Hooker’s age as a plus rather than a minus.

“We did go into this offseason saying that we wanted to bring in some competition at quarterback,” Campbell said. “We didn’t know exactly where that might be, who that would be at the time, but we did like Hooker. We knew he was coming off the injury, but there was something about him that was appealing. He’s very mature, he looks the part, he’s got a big arm. H’’s just got to learn to play in the NFL. He’s a pro, now, and I like the fact that he was older. We all kind liked the fact that he was older. I think you want your quarterback to be more mature.”

Hooker is coming off a torn ACL and Campbell said that the team views 2023 as “a redshirt year for him” since he’ll be rehabbing and Jared Goff remains on hand as the starter. Hooker’s been talked about as a possible successor to Goff, but Campbell said “it’s going to be a long time” before the team knows if that will be the case in Detroit. That would make Hooker even older, but it’s clear Campbell isn’t put off by that.

Comment

• A really good QB can play well into their 30s, so yeah... 25 or 22 isn't THAT big of a deal breaker.

And honestly, even if they extend Goff, there will be plenty of time to decide if Hendon is the guy before either contract is unpalatable.

I think you have a whole bunch of fans who have decided that a QB on a rookie contract is the only way to go.
                      Last edited by chemiclord; May 9, 2023, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• I think some of the development problems with quarterbacks is not every quarterback is ready to helm a team in his early 20s.

Comment

• Good news: The Detroit Lions will play K.C. in Missouri:

The Detroit Lions will not be traveling overseas in 2023, as the Kansas City Chiefs will host the Miami Dolphins in Germany this year.
                          "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Darn, I wanted the Lions to play the Chiefs in Germany.

It would have been neat to see. Goff owns Mahomes in overseas games so far. Playing at Arrowhead Stadium is a tough place to win. Weird results happen in overseas games.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Dan Campbell: It’s going to be a long time before Hendon Hooker plays

Posted by Charean Williams on May 9, 2023, 11:17 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions have a starting quarterback. They also now have the heir apparent to Jared Goff, having drafted Hendon Hooker in the third round.

Hooker, who is rehabbing from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, is not expected to play this season.

“Really, this is a redshirt year for him,” Lions coach Dan Campbell told Chris Long on the Green Light Podcast, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “He’s got to get this leg right first, and then he’ll learn under Jared, and then let’s see what happens. If he can eventually become your two or maybe down the road, later on, it’s more than that, but it’s going to be a long time.”

Hooker, who injured his left knee in a Nov. 19 game against South Carolina, is doing low-gravity running and recently resumed taking dropbacks. He has said he is not putting a timetable on his return.

The Lions likethat Hooker, who is 25, is older.

Now, he gets a chance to sit, watch and learn from Goff, who was kept in the loop by the Lions that they might draft a quarterback.

“To be able to get him where we did — we traded back twice and we were still able to acquire him — we felt like that was, everything played out just the right way for us,” Campbell said. “We were excited, and to your point, yes, Goff is going to handle it well. He knew. [General Manager] Brad [Holmes] had called him, and he’s great. And he’ll help this guy just learn and grow.”

Comment

• The Daily Drive

THE DAILY DRIVE: Injury updates: Tracy Walker already doing on-field drills at Lions offseason program

May 04, 2023 at 12:18 PM
                                Worried about the Detroit Lions' defense? It was better than you think in 2022

Shawn Windsor – Detroit Free Press

May 4, 2023

Ex-Lions RB D’Andre Swift surprised by trade but has nothing but love for Detroit

Benjamin Raven – MLive

May 4, 2023

Brad Holmes says Lions' draft critics will like what they see on the field

Will Burchfield – 97.1 The Ticket

May 3, 2023

New jersey numbers for Lions' free agents and rookies, including an NFL first

Will Burchfield – 97.1 The Ticket

May 3, 2023

What anonymous NFL scouts said about the Detroit Lions’ 2023 draft picks

Jeremy Reisman – Pride of Detroit

May 3, 2023

Detroit Lions add new Australian tight end through NFL’s international program

May 3, 2023

D’Andre Swift speaks on Lions trade to Eagles: ‘It was a surprise’

May 3, 2023

Injury updates: Tracy Walker already doing on-field drills at Lions offseason program

May 3, 2023

Comment

Working...
                                X