No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This would have allowed the Lions to select Tune or DTR as a QB to develop."

Where did DTR end up getting picked anyway and by whom?

Comment

• Cleveland in the 5th.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

Holmes specifically stated the Gibbs pick wasn't made with Swift in mind. At all. Sometimes things aren't some big dark deep state secret. Most times it is simply what it is. If Swift doesn't have a hissy fit, he's still here.

Excuse me if I'm believing Holmes on this.
        Hissy fit?
        When you sign Montgomery to a 4 year deal, don't extend Swift AND you take RB in the 1st Rd?
        You've signaled to the rest of the league that he's available - we don't need him anymore.
        You don't even need to speak in the microphone, your actions did all the talking.

This isn't some deep dark secret, it's common sense. See it every year in the league, it's just part of the business.
        As soon as he put Gibbs name on the top of the board, Swift was a dead man walking in Detroit. Just can't announce that until after you'd made the pick of Gibbs....

Comment

• I wonder if these Alabama additions can help get Jamo to toe the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

Hissy fit?
            When you sign Montgomery to a 4 year deal, don't extend Swift AND you take RB in the 1st Rd?
            You've signaled to the rest of the league that he's available - we don't need him anymore.
            You don't even need to speak in the microphone, your actions did all the talking.

This isn't some deep dark secret, it's common sense. See it every year in the league, it's just part of the business.
            As soon as he put Gibbs name on the top of the board, Swift was a dead man walking in Detroit. Just can't announce that until after you'd made the pick of Gibbs....
            I disagree. Swift was never going to get a new deal. I am pretty sure everyone even swift knew that. What it would have meant is that we would have a large sign on our head going into the draft next year "Need RB, must be explosive". Swift under produced, knew the coaches didn't like his effort at times, and it took forever for his play to pick up after an injury kept him out of only a game or two a time. Its already extremely rare a RB gets a second deal with their original team. Add the two together and next season was his last even if he lit it up.

The lighting it up was going to be the hard part with another RB. Specially one with a similar skillset (and supperior at that) as him. That's why he needed the trade, go to a team that he good more snaps with to prove himself so someone will throw 10-20 million for a 3-4 year deal at him. But for the Lions carrying Swift would have had minimal impact, besides the possible lockerroom problems by a guy disgruntled that he was replaced. Cost wasn't a factor. They wouldn't lose a prospect that could have contributed more than Swift, by keeping him. The draft picks are nice and I am guessing the 4th was the trick. Not useful any time soon. But its a fourth for an expiring contract, for who would now be a depth player. Better than most thought. Still not high enough for me if you are in a win now mode, because like Swift last year, if Gibbs gets hurt, it really will shift the offense and add some struggle. But if you are worried you have to keep him motivated, not make any issues, and realistically you still only get 2-3 games out of him before he sprains a shoulder or ankle and his play drops off a cliff. I get why you (Holmes) think the 4th and 7th is worth moving him.

But again I don't think the Lions pick required the move, whether or not it was the likely (and obviously eventual) outcome.

Comment

• Topweasel, until they put Gibbs name at the top of their draft board Swift had a role to play as a time share with Montgomery.
              Swift's role after drafting Gibbs was as an insurance policy against injury - nothing more. There are a lot of RB's they can get to fill that role, that also can do duty on Special Teams.

We saw a similar thing when Hooker was drafted with Sudfeld.
              The goal is going to be to get Hooker the reps, because teams usually don't carry 3 QB's unless they don't have a QB to begin with.
              Sudfeld is dead man walking just like Swift was - it's just the QB position takes a little more time to get up to speed.
              Just might take until August before they shitcan Sudfeld.

Comment

• Hooker will not be the #2 QB this year.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I suppose there is an outside possibility that Hooker recovers quickly, and absolutely blows the coaching staff away with how fast he picks up the playbook to the point where they think Sudfeld becomes unnecessary... but I think the odds of that are so ridiculously low that it's a scenario that probably isn't worth entertaining.

There's a reason the Lions were one of the teams that appealed to the Rules Committee to allow 3 QBs to be active on the roster, and I suspect they were envisioning something like this as to the reason why.

Comment

• There’s zero need to rush Hooker back. Let him sit and absorb. There’s no pressure on a QB controversy with him sitting out a year.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Reserve/PUP list for sure.
                      Hooker had ACL surgery on Dec 13th. Basically 9 months of recovery until opening day. Put Hooker on pup and give him an extra month+ of recovery time.

Once Hooker is back, the numbers game will be interesting to follow. I somewhat doubt they would cut Sudfeld at that time, but you never know.

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/li...paschal-okwara
                      https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...-pup-list/amp/
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I fully suspect they will keep Sudfeld the entire year... barring Hooker absolutely crushing it from the instant he's medically cleared to go. Which, again, I guess is possible... but so unlikely that no one should be expecting Sudfeld to be anything but the #2 QB all season.

Comment

• They might just put Hooker on the PUP list for the first 6 weeks to start the season....Also the Freep is reporting today that the Lions are in preliminary talks with Goff about a contract extension....The best thing that happened to him? He didnt have to play a road playoff game in SF last year...Really we need to see how he can do in that situation before giving him big money.
                          Last edited by ghandi; May 2, 2023, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Of course the Lions are in preliminary talks about an extension. They'd be stupid as hell not to be. Those sort of negotiations can take over a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                              Topweasel, until they put Gibbs name at the top of their draft board Swift had a role to play as a time share with Montgomery.
                              Swift's role after drafting Gibbs was as an insurance policy against injury - nothing more. There are a lot of RB's they can get to fill that role, that also can do duty on Special Teams.

We saw a similar thing when Hooker was drafted with Sudfeld.
                              The goal is going to be to get Hooker the reps, because teams usually don't carry 3 QB's unless they don't have a QB to begin with.
                              Sudfeld is dead man walking just like Swift was - it's just the QB position takes a little more time to get up to speed.
                              Just might take until August before they shitcan Sudfeld.
                              Depth for the sake of depth sure. But the drop off would have been unnessasary. They would have just moved things around an carried an extra DB or WR or one less TE to cover another RB for ST. There is always wiggle room, not much but some wiggle room if you want to carry some performance in your depth. All that really mattered was money and Swift wasn't expensive enough need to get him off the books.

The reason you get rid of Sudfeld is because you don't want to need him. He is an extreme drop in performance, doesn't contribute to experience, and was cheap for what he was with only less optimal players ahead of him (having never made a real push for an ex-first rounder, or premiere backs like Minchew). Hooker removes Sudfelds need because A. The hope would be you never have to play Hooker, so have a backup to Hooker seems useles. B.) Hooker is so much closer to starter (in theory) quality than Sudfeld. So you only need 1 backup and Sudfeld is significantly worse a QB than Hooker.

Not the same thing at all.

Comment

• Holmes has already called this year the redshirt year for Hooker. The Sudder will be the backup, Hooker will be on the PUP for awhile. Martinez to the PS.

Comment

Working...
                                X