Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
    I have accepted Anthony Richardson into my life and will be fine with him at 6. If they decide to move up to 3 for a QB, I won’t love that but I would understand, as long as the price isn’t crazy.
    like Jesus?​

You made a tough morning a lot better today sir. Thank you. That made my day!
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

You have a lot of people (many of whom dominated the forum discussion here) that basically felt that the NFL was two QBs going one-on-one with 42 other guys who just had really really good seats. It wasn't even Stafford ruining us, those guys wanted Stafford run out of town on a rail frequently too.

I really kinda hate how "game manager" has become a derogatory label to describe quarterbacks who can't even do the bare minimum; because that's what Goff actually is. He's a dude who will never take over a game on his own, but he will reliably and consistently get the ball to your playmakers. No, he's not going to break containment and run for 15 yards. No, he's not going to thread triple coverage with a frozen rope while on the run.

Because he's not going to do something that risky with the ball. He'll throw it away if nothing's there. He'll check down to the open receiver rather than force something. Those are all good decisions, but nothing that will cause jaws to drop and the highlight reels to start humming. And that doesn't particularly excite fans. And it'll leave them envying Mahomes throwing a perfect pass as he's parallel to the ground after being flushed fifteen yards, or Josh Allen shrugging off a tackler like an annoying child and launching a bomb with a flick of his wrist.

Would it be great to have Mahomes or Allen? Sure! Should you be trying to force the issue with poorly thought out draft picks at any guy with QB listed as his position? Absolutely not.

And I think that's been Holmes and Campbell's message all along. If they see "the guy," they'll do everything in their power to get him. But if they don't, they will go into every season for the foreseeable future quite content that they already have a guy that can get the job done with the right tools around him.

I have been watching the team (NFL Network) on weekends and I have been watching how Goff sets up plays. He is absolutely great at it and most people don't look at that part of the "QB job description" enough. On some plays he has everyone (including the camera crew) faked out until the ball comes out. He orchestrates the offense better then ANY Lions Quarterback I have ever seen. Even better then Stafford in my opinion.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

That's why I'm at the point now in which I don't even care what any of the mocks say. With Brad Holmes, I feel that we're not only getting value, but we're also out-drafting the opposition!
        Me too. I don't have a strong opinion on who they should pick and it feels foriegn. But it feels good to know we good with that Holmes guy and Campbell and crew.

Dam it feels good to see people up on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          The Lions still actually have to do something though. I'm a big fan of what they have done in the off-season and of the Holmes regime in general but getting to respectable in the NFL is the easy part that the Lions have done before. They have to take the next steps before you can spike the ball.

​True. I know I should be more nervous right now because most "rebuilds" end ceremoniously at this stage, but, I feel confident. Maybe because the core isn't built on things that can't be sustained. My biggest worry (which I'm not very worried at all) is the drafting hurt players. Only once has it failed him and IDK many players that will fall because they are/were hurt.

Comment

• from the Birkett article posted yesterday - "St. Brown said he and Goff have worked out together several times already this spring, and they were joined by a handful of other Lions including Jameson Williams, Tom Kennedy and Kalif Raymond for a workout last month in California."

this makes me happy! (except I have no idea who Tom Kennedy is lol)
            Last edited by kayrone; April 17, 2023, 09:23 AM.
            "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

​True. I know I should be more nervous right now because most "rebuilds" end ceremoniously at this stage, but, I feel confident. Maybe because the core isn't built on things that can't be sustained. My biggest worry (which I'm not very worried at all) is the drafting hurt players. Only once has it failed him and IDK many players that will fall because they are/were hurt.
              The reason it can stall is because, unless you were extremely lucky to find all the pieces you need in the draft, this is the point where you have to specifically address certain needs, and that usually requires spending above market value on free agents. If you get it wrong, it can collapse the entire team you built. And it can very easily go wrong... because free agents are usually free agents for a reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

The reason it can stall is because, unless you were extremely lucky to find all the pieces you need in the draft, this is the point where you have to specifically address certain needs, and that usually requires spending above market value on free agents. If you get it wrong, it can collapse the entire team you built. And it can very easily go wrong... because free agents are usually free agents for a reason.
                I think that they have been very good at finding guys that fit their system and can play that other teams have overlooked or passed on. I don't see them having to over spend on free agents and I don't see them doing so. I think anyone looking for that big free agent splash is going to be disappointed.

They are doing what the Patriots have done. Have some stars and plug and play with lower cost mid tier free agents. They have been very good at evaluating talent and finding players that buy into their philosophy and building a roster with enough talent and depth to be competitive.

Who the fuck are these guys and what are they doing in Detroit? Ha!
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

I think that they have been very good at finding guys that fit their system and can play that other teams have overlooked or passed on. I don't see them having to over spend on free agents and I don't see them doing so. I think anyone looking for that big free agent splash is going to be disappointed.

They are doing what the Patriots have done. Have some stars and plug and play with lower cost mid tier free agents. They have been very good at evaluating talent and finding players that buy into their philosophy and building a roster with enough talent and depth to be competitive.

Agree. And I see Chemi's point, but, it is a bit (because we've dealt with ineptitude our entire lives) of the aftertaste of SOL. You look at BAL and WR and to a lesser extent, QB was/is their Achilles heal. They hit on all other positions continually to the point that they rarely re-up guys. But QB (pre-Lamar) and WR have been a bit of a revolving door. They have tried everything, including FA, to fill the holes there without a lot of success.

Does Holmes have a blind side? IDK. I guess we will have that answer in 10 months.

Comment

• This is the way

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

The Patriots also took fliers on some big name free agents when the opportunity presented itself (Randy Moss, for example).

Comment

• Moss was traded to the Patriots.

Comment

• Chad OchoCinco and Albert Haynesworth that is. Puzzling at the time the Patriots added them and it didn’t work out.

I recall the Lions pivoted towards high character guys starting with the 2015 NFL draft. Some shenanigans that occurred in the late Schwartz era that was the tipping point. Then of course Bob Quinn and “the Patriot way” was mostly going for guys with high character.
                          Last edited by Cody_Russell; April 17, 2023, 10:16 AM. Reason: Spell Check
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                            Moss was traded to the Patriots.
                            Exactly. They traded a 4th round pick for him

I may be wrong, and am too lazy to research it, but it seems to me that the Pats lived off of getting mileage from cut rate free agents to supplement their core.

Corey Dillon comes to mind
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Stephon Gilmore was a big FA they signed that worked out for the Patriots. They’ve had a handful of others big signings over the years, with mixed results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                                Chad OchoCinco and Albert Haynesworth that is. Puzzling at the time the Patriots added them and it didn’t work out.

I recall the Lions pivoted towards high character guys starting with the 2015 NFL draft. Some shenanigans that occurred in the late Schwartz era that was the tipping point. Then of course Bob Quinn and “the Patriot way” was mostly going for guys with high character.
                                Ochocinco was a trade from the Bengals with a restructured contract

Haynesworth was another trade.

​​​​​​Haynesworth was traded from the Washington Redskins to the Patriots for a 2013 fifth round pick. He reportedly re-worked his contract to a two-year, $8.7 million deal with the Patriots after signing a seven year, $100 million deal with the Redskins in the 2009 free agency period.​

Comment

Working...
                                X