Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty sure that rumor is a fugazi Jaadam

Comment

• I hope so. There’s not many teams he’d prob want to be traded to and not many that could work his salary into the cap

Detroit might be one of them but IMO he should retire. That LA team is on a free fall. It’s money at this point for him
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Correct. All of that is wishful thinking from Lions fans. No actual rumors.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Halapoulivaati Vaitai takes huge pay cut to stay with Detroit Lions

Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press

Another veteran lineman is taking a massive pay cut to stay with the Detroit Lions in 2023.

Offensive guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai has agreed to cut his base salary from $9.4 million this fall to $1.21 million, according to NFL Players Association records, and in return the Lions have converted the final year of his contract in 2024 to a voidable year.

Vaitai, the Lions' top free agent addition in 2020, was in danger of being a cap casualty after missing all of last season with back surgery.

By renegotiating his contract, the Lions lowered Vaitai's cap charge to $5.05 million this season, according to OverTheCap.com, freeing up nearly $7 million in cap room.

Vaitai is the third player to take a salary cut to stay with the Lions in March.

The Lions reduced defensive end Romeo Okwara's base salary from $11 million to $2 million in a move that created nearly $9 million in cap space, and Charles Harris agreed to cut his $6 million base salary in half to free up nearly $3 million in cap room.

Before free agency, the Lions released defensive lineman Michael Brockers in a move that freed up $10 million in cap room.

Vaitai has battled foot and back injuries during his three seasons in Detroit, but started 25 games at right guard in 2020-21. If healthy, he is expected to compete for the right guard job this fall with veteran Graham Glasgow, who the Lions signed in free agency last week.

The Lions entered Thursday with $11.7 million in cap space, according to NFLPA records.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions' Halapoulivaati Vaitai agrees to pay cut, setting stage for camp battle with Glasgow

Justin Rogers

The Detroit News

Allen Park — For the third time this offseason, a veteran Detroit Lions player has agreed to a significant pay cut to stay with the team.

Instead of releasing offensive lineman Halapoulivaati Vaitai, and immediately clearing slightly more than $6.5 million in cap space, the two sides agreed to a restructured deal that will save the Lions even more in 2023.

Vaitai, who missed all of last season with a back injury, had been scheduled to carry a bloated $12.5 million cap hit in 2023. That figure included a $9.4 million base salary, which has been reduced to $1.2 million. Additionally, the Lions converted $1.8 million of that amount into a signing bonus, which, for cap purposes, will be spread evenly across the remaining two years of the contract.

As part of the restructure, Vaitai's contract now voids after this season, one year earlier than the initial agreement he signed in 2020. Instead of the $12.5 million cap hit in 2023, the new figure is $5.05 million, while there will be a lingering dead money charge of $3.8 million in 2024 tied to his initial signing bonus, a 2022 contract restructure and this recent adjustment.

The Lions are banking on the potential of Vaitai returning to the level of play in 2021, when he started 15 games at right guard and didn't allow a single sack. Yet the team isn't taking any chances, bringing back veteran Graham Glasgow to challenge for the starting job.

Glasgow, who has started 91 games in his career, returns to Detroit after three seasons in Denver. His one-year contract is worth up to $4.5 million, but only carries a cap hit of $2.68 million this season because it has a void year tacked on the end, as well.

Meeting with the local media earlier this week, Glasgow discussed his push to return to Detroit, where he started his career and is just down the road from where he played collegiately at Michigan. Within that desire, there's also this drive to prove himself after falling out of favor at the end of his time in Denver.

“Yeah, I mean I think that that’s very fair to say," Glasgow said. "And I think there’s no better place for me to prove myself than where I’ve already proved myself before."

In addition to Vaitai's contract alterations, edge rushers Charles Harris and Romeo Okwara also agreed to pay reductions in 2023. In total, the changes saved the Lions more than $19 million in cap space for the upcoming season.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter: @Justin_Rogers

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Additional news on next year's NFL Draft to be held in Detroit:

What we know about 2024 NFL draft in Detroit, Michigan

Marlowe Alter

Detroit Free Press

Dates for the 2024 NFL draft in Detroit, Michigan have been announced.

The league's annual showcase of incoming talent will take place April 25-27, 2024, centered around Campus Martius and Hart Plaza in the downtown area near the Detroit River.

"We look forward to showcasing the culture, energy, and passion of our vibrant downtown as a part of one of the NFL's marquee annual events," Lions president and CEO Rod Wood said in a statement.

The first round is Thursday, with Rounds 2-3 Friday and Rounds 4-7 Saturday.

Here's what else you should know about the draft in Detroit:

Why is it in Detroit?

The draft has been a traveling exhibition since 2015, after being located in New York for decades. The 2023 showcase is in Kansas City.

Detroit, led by its campaign Visit Detroit, reportedly beat out pitches from Green Bay and Washington in a vote by league owners.

"Our proposal ... was very strong," Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp said last year after Detroit was announced as the 2024 site. "I think we really proved to the league that we would put on a great show and how important it is to our city, it’s hugely important, and to our fans. And I think those were some of the big selling points."

Who will be there?

The NFL typically invites a few dozen top college prospects to the draft. They walk the red carpet before the first round, and come on stage when drafted by a team, hold their new team jersey and shake the hand of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in front of screaming fans.

Numerous NFL legends typically attend and announce picks on the second and third days.

Both ESPN and NFL Network personalities will be live on site, with sets to broadcast and react to the draft.

Will it be free to attend?

Yes, if we're going off the 2023 draft, according to the NFL. You'll likely have to register to attend just as they're requiring in Kansas City. More details to come in the future.

NFL theme park

The NFL is bringing its interactive football theme park to the draft site, giving fans the opportunity to play games, view exhibits, gather autographs and take in musical performances. The Vince Lombardi Trophy, given to the Super Bowl winner, will be on hand — something fans of the Detroit Lions previously could only dream of since they're the only NFC club never to even make a Super Bowl appearance — for pictures. Expect more announcements in the months ahead.

How many people will be there?

More than 300,000 fans showed up for the three-day 2022 NFL draft in Las Vegas, the league says.

So, a lot.

Showcase for the city

This will be an important chance for Detroit to show its continued improvement to the nation, and officials know this.

"Detroiters have shown many times our ability to put on highly successful national events and we will be ready again to welcome the world next April," mayor Mike Duggan said in a statement. "Next year's NFL Draft is going be an incredible opportunity for hundreds of thousands of visitors to see the progress our city is making."

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit unveils dates for 2024 NFL Draft

The seven-round NFL Draft will take place over three days in 2024, from April 25-27.

Tony Paul
                The Detroit News

Detroit — Detroit is starting to feel the draft.

The NFL Draft is coming to the city for the first time in 2024, and the dates are set: April 25-27.

The draft will be held around Campus Martius Park and Hart Plaza, and is expected to draw hundreds of thousands of fans. Millions more will watch the NFL Draft on television, from around the world.

"Detroiters have shown many times our ability to put on highly successful national events, and we will be ready again to welcome the world next April," Detroit mayor Mike Duggan said in a statement. "Next year's NFL Draft is going to be an incredibly opportunity for hundreds of thousands of visitors to see the progress our city is making."

The seven-round NFL Draft will take place over the three days, with the first round set for Thursday, April 25; the second and third rounds Friday, April 26; and the final four rounds Saturday, April 27.

The city also will host the NFL Draft Experience, and interactive event that the city is billing as a "theme park." There will be games, exhibits, musical performances and autograph sessions, plus fans will be able to take pictures with the Vince Lombardi Trophy (which doesn't make it to Detroit very often, if you haven't heard).

The 2022 NFL Draft in Las Vegas drew 300,000 fans, and 10.03 TV viewers. The 2023 NFL Draft is scheduled for Kansas City, from April 27-29.

"We are excited to be partnering with the city of Detroit and the NFL to bring the 2024 NFL Draft to Detroit," Rod Wood, Lions president and CEO, said in a statement. "We look forward to showcasing the culture, energy and passion of our vibrant downtown as part of the one of the NFL's marquee annual events."

The 2024 NFL Draft is one of several high-profile sports events scheduled for Detroit and the surrounding areas in the coming years, along with the NCAA men's basketball tournament regional at Little Caesars Arena in 2024, the NCAA men's basketball tournament Final Four at Ford Field in 2027, and several marquee golf tournaments at Bloomfield Township's legendary Oakland Hills.

tpaul@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
                  Additional news on next year's NFL Draft to be held in Detroit:

What we know about 2024 NFL draft in Detroit, Michigan

Marlowe Alter

Detroit Free Press

Dates for the 2024 NFL draft in Detroit, Michigan have been announced.

The league's annual showcase of incoming talent will take place April 25-27, 2024, centered around Campus Martius and Hart Plaza in the downtown area near the Detroit River.

"We look forward to showcasing the culture, energy, and passion of our vibrant downtown as a part of one of the NFL's marquee annual events," Lions president and CEO Rod Wood said in a statement.

The first round is Thursday, with Rounds 2-3 Friday and Rounds 4-7 Saturday.

Here's what else you should know about the draft in Detroit:

Why is it in Detroit?

The draft has been a traveling exhibition since 2015, after being located in New York for decades. The 2023 showcase is in Kansas City.

Detroit, led by its campaign Visit Detroit, reportedly beat out pitches from Green Bay and Washington in a vote by league owners.

"Our proposal ... was very strong," Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp said last year after Detroit was announced as the 2024 site. "I think we really proved to the league that we would put on a great show and how important it is to our city, it’s hugely important, and to our fans. And I think those were some of the big selling points."

Who will be there?

The NFL typically invites a few dozen top college prospects to the draft. They walk the red carpet before the first round, and come on stage when drafted by a team, hold their new team jersey and shake the hand of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in front of screaming fans.

Numerous NFL legends typically attend and announce picks on the second and third days.

Both ESPN and NFL Network personalities will be live on site, with sets to broadcast and react to the draft.

Will it be free to attend?

Yes, if we're going off the 2023 draft, according to the NFL. You'll likely have to register to attend just as they're requiring in Kansas City. More details to come in the future.

NFL theme park

The NFL is bringing its interactive football theme park to the draft site, giving fans the opportunity to play games, view exhibits, gather autographs and take in musical performances. The Vince Lombardi Trophy, given to the Super Bowl winner, will be on hand — something fans of the Detroit Lions previously could only dream of since they're the only NFC club never to even make a Super Bowl appearance — for pictures. Expect more announcements in the months ahead.

How many people will be there?

More than 300,000 fans showed up for the three-day 2022 NFL draft in Las Vegas, the league says.

So, a lot.

Showcase for the city

This will be an important chance for Detroit to show its continued improvement to the nation, and officials know this.

"Detroiters have shown many times our ability to put on highly successful national events and we will be ready again to welcome the world next April," mayor Mike Duggan said in a statement. "Next year's NFL Draft is going be an incredible opportunity for hundreds of thousands of visitors to see the progress our city is making."

We all should meet up and hang out! I will definitely be there.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

We all should meet up and hang out! I will definitely be there.
                    That would be an absolute blast to do.
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Nate Sudfeld returns to the Lions at backup QB

The Lions have brought back Nate Sudfeld to back up Jared Goff at QB

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Oh boy. Lions drafting a QB to upgrade that depth maybe. 🤔. I guess it depends on what happens in the draft and if a QB is available that the Lions like.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Hes just insurance...They will draft one Im sure.

Comment

• C.J. Gardner-Johnson has $6.5 million deal, with $1.5 million in incentives

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2023, 12:02 PM EDT

Getty Images

When the first reports were leaked regarding the contract signed by new Lions safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson, there was a question as to whether it was a one-year, $8 million deal, or whether it was a one-year deal worth “up to” $8 million.

NFL Media reported the former. ESPN reported the latter.

In this case, the winner is . . . ESPN.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, it has a base value of $6.5 million. Gardner-Johnson can make another $1.5 million via a package of incentives — all of which require the Lions to finish in the top 16 of yards allowed.

He gets $375,000 for 70-percent playing time or $750,000 for 80-percent playing time. He also gets $375,000 for three interceptions or $750,000 for five interceptions.

So he’ll get another $375,000 or another $750,000 or another $1.125 million or another $1.5 million. Or nothing at all.

Again, even if he has 100-percent playing time and 15 or more interceptions, he gets nothing unless the Lions finish in the top half of the league defensively.

However the incentives work out, Gardner-Johnson will try to have another big season, and to hit the market again. And, presumably, to not overshoot the market in the early days, again.

Comment

• Lions re-sign Nate Sudfeld

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 24, 2023, 11:20 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions have brought back their backup quarterback.

Detroit has re-signed Nate Sudfeld, the club announced on Friday.

Sudfeld joined the Lions in late August after he was cut by the 49ers. He served as Jared Goff‘s backup, appearing in just two games and playing nine offensive snaps.

Sudfeld has appeared in six career games since entering the league as a sixth-round pick in 2016, completing 25-of-37 passes for 188 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Most of his playing time came for the Eagles from 2017-2020.

While the Lions now have Goff and Sudfeld under contract, G.M. Brad Holmes has not ruled out drafting a quarterback with one of their two first-round picks at No. 6 and No. 18 in this year’s draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X