No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badgley is fine for what he is. But man, he really isn't particularly good at what the modern kicker kinda needs to be at least decent at (the 50-55 yard range).

Comment

• They couldn’t have gone after Gould or Gay?

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
        Badgley is fine for what he is. But man, he really isn't particularly good at what the modern kicker kinda needs to be at least decent at (the 50-55 yard range).
        This is like 6 of one or 1/2 a dozen of the other.
        If all your offense can do is get to the opponents 35 yard line, the kicker isn't the problem.
        This shit really only creeps it's head in the playoffs - and it's somewhere the Lions usually don't end up anyway.
        I mean shit, count the absolutely meaningful kicks that Hanson and Murray had - you might struggle to need more than 1 hand.

In fact I'd argue Murray's most memorable kick was when he didn't even know he was supposed to go out there.
        Ran on the field, didn't even get set and drilled it for the game winner vs Dallas - 1981.

Edit: Ok, he got set, BARELY.
        Last edited by Fraquar; March 17, 2023, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Murray’s most memorable kick was one he missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
            Murray’s most memorable kick was one he missed.
            Difference of perspective.
            I was fresh out of Basic Training when that game was played, in the heart of "Cowboy Country".
            Murray put a dagger in everyone's heart - except mine - because I was literally the only Lions fan in the joint.
            To this day I still hear Madden's call - where's Murray? "Oh, there he is".....

Comment

• Explaining contract numbers for Lions' Alex Anzalone and John Cominksy

Justin Rogers

The Detroit News

Allen Park — The contract parameters have been filed for Detroit Lions linebacker Alex Anzalone and defensive lineman John Cominsky. As with all NFL contracts, it's best to wait to see the full structure of the deal before reacting.

Here's a breakdown of the numbers and a quick explanation of what they mean, starting with Anzalone.

Anzalone received a three-year, $18.75 million contract. In reality, it's a two-year deal worth closer to $12 million with a team option for a third year. The deal includes a signing bonus of $4.8 million, base salaries of $1.2 million, $6 million and $6 million, per-game roster bonuses up to $100,000 each year, and a void year tacked on the end of the deal.

As a reminder, for cap purposes, signing bonuses are spread evenly across the duration of the contract. In this case, that $4.8 million will count $1.2 million against the cap for the next four seasons, due to the addition of the void year.

Including the active roster bonuses, Anzalone is set to have cap hits of $2.5 million next season and $7.3 million in both 2024 and 2025. And because $3 million on Anzalone's 2024 salary is guaranteed, he's essentially locked into a roster spot this season and next.

But in 2025, the Lions will have the option of sticking with him for that $7.3 million cap hit, which could admittedly end up being market-friendly if he continues to play at or above last season's level. Alternatively, if the team wants to go a different direction, they can part ways and only be responsible for $2.4 million in lingering dead money tied to the signing bonus. That's a potential a $4.9 million cap savings.

As for Cominsky, his two-year $8.5 million deal is, in many ways, a prove-it deal with a pay bump.

Coming off a breakout season, the Lions awarded him a two-year pact valued at $8.5 million. That includes a $2.4 million signing bonus, base salaries of $1.1 million in 2023 and $5 million the following year. When the cap hit of the signing bonus is divided, the cap figures are $2.3 million this year and $6.2 million next year.

Obviously, that's a very reasonable cap hit for the production he provided in 2023. But, if Cominsky is unable to sustain his upward trajectory, the team would only be on the hook for $1.2 million in dead money in 2024, given none of the lineman's base salary is guaranteed next year.

It's worth noting, there were reports of up to $1 million in performance bonuses built into Cominsky's contract. Those escalators are unknown, but won't count against the cap unless he meets them.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter: @Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions re-signing kicker Michael Badgley

Justin Rogers

The Detroit News

Allen Park — The Detroit Lions are keeping another piece from last year's team in the fold, agreeing to terms on a new deal with kicker Michael Badgley, according to the player's agent.

A midseason addition last year, Badgley stabilized Detroit's revolving door at the kicking position. Appearing in 12 games, he made 20 of 24 field goals for the team. In addition to going 4-for-4 in one game with the Chicago Bears prior to coming on board, he converted 85.7% of his field-goal attempts, including a long of 53.

Before signing Badgley, the Lions had struggled to find a replacement for Matt Prater, who departed in free agency ahead of the 2021 season. Initially, the team had Matthew Wright, Randy Bullock and Zane Gonzalez compete for the role, before claiming Austin Seibert off waivers before the season.

Seibert suffered a season-ending hip injury his first year in Detroit, leading to the team adding Riley Patterson off the Patriots' practice squad. Those two competed for the job last training camp, with Seibert emerging victorious in the battle, before suffering another injury.

Prior to joining the Lions, Badgley spent most of his career with the Chargers. In five seasons, he's made 81.7% of his kicks with a long of 59 yards.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• New Detroit Lions CB Emmanuel Moseley 'putting in a lot of work' in rehab from torn ACL

Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press

Long before he was a cornerback who signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Detroit Lions, Emmanuel Moseley was a star quarterback who led his North Carolina high school to a state championship — good enough to keep one of the best signal callers in this year’s NFL draft on the bench.

Moseley revealed at his introductory news conference Thursday he started as a prep quarterback over Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker.

“I was quarterback there and he was my backup quarterback, which is crazy,” Moseley said from Allen Park. “So then he went to Virginia Tech, and once he went to Virginia Tech, he didn’t play much and then he started playing, I think he had maybe a few issues that he overcame. And then he went to Tennessee. I used to tell the Tennessee coaches, I said, ‘Hey listen, that’s a guy you guys need to go get.’

“So when he got his opportunity to come to Tennessee, it was just amazing. He’s a good guy, man. Definitely my little brother and I hope that he’s healing well and whatever team picks him, he’ll do well there.”

Hooker, a potential top-50 pick in April’s draft, was a frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy before he tore the ACL in his left knee during a November loss to South Carolina.

Mosely is recovering from his own ACL tear, which depressed his value as a free agent and led him to join forces with his ex-Tennessee teammate, Cam Sutton, as the new cornerback duo in the Lions secondary.

Moseley, who wore a compression sleeve on his left leg Thursday, offered little insight on his recovery other than to indicate he’ll be ready for the regular season.

He suffered the injury in an Oct. 9 game against the Carolina Panthers.

“I would definitely say (rehab is) going well,” Moseley said. “I’m putting in a lot of work. About five months out now. We got a lot of time between training camp, so I’m going to continue to do that and then when it’s time for me to get out there and go, I’ll go.”

Moseley has battled injuries throughout his career as an undrafted rookie out of Tennessee in 2018, and emerged as an important part of the San Francisco 49ers secondary in his second season.

He has played 45 games in five seasons, and played more than 12 games in a season only once, but should bring a physical element to the secondary once healthy.

“I may not look it all the time, but I’m a very physical corner,” Moseley said. “I love coming up and tackle, I love being up in front of people’s faces, getting my hands on people. Can play off coverage. Smart corner, (confident) corner and like I say, pretty much a leader, so that’s pretty much my game.”

The Lions are counting on Moseley and Sutton, who was Moseley's recruiting host during high school, to help transform a secondary that was one of the most picked-upon last season.

The Lions ranked last in total defense and tied for 28th in points allowed, and gave up an NFL-worst 6.2 yards per play.

Sutton should be a Day 1 starter in the secondary, while Jerry Jacobs and/or Jeff Okudah will work opposite him with the first team until Moseley returns.

Moseley, who has four career interceptions, said his time in San Francisco, where he learned under Richard Sherman, was invaluable to his growth as a player, but he’s ready for a new chapter with the Lions.

“They took a chance on me, signed me here coming off this knee injury,” Moseley said. “But I know what type of player I can be. I see the direction that the program is going in. I used to watch the games, just being a football player, watching the games, you can see that they’re transcending in the right way, so why not be a part of that?”

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Of the signings so far, Moseley is the one that most interests me.
                    Of the personnel moves so far, whether they activate Okudah's 5th year option is the next.

Comment

• Addition of physical CB Moseley a continuation of what Lions are about under GM Holmes

Justin Rogers

The Detroit News

Allen Park — In a lot of ways, Emmanuel Moseley is exactly the type of player the Detroit Lions have been about under the stewardship of general manager Brad Holmes.

Moseley is used to having something to prove and making believers out of doubters. An undrafted free agent out of Tennessee in 2018, he's already beaten the odds, sticking in the league for five years, scrapping the first two years to not only earn a roster spot, but significant playing time with one of the league's better defenses in San Francisco.

And the past two seasons, he was proving he's more than just a guy, but a truly reliable starting cornerback. In 16 games, opposing quarterbacks were completing fewer than 60% of their passes when looking in his direction, with Moseley getting his hands on 16 passes and intercepting a pair.

"I may not look it all the time, but I'm a very physical corner," Moseley said during his introductory press conference on Thursday. "I love coming up to tackle. I love being up in front of people's faces, getting my hands on people. I can play off-coverage. (I'm a) smart corner, confident corner, and pretty much a leader."

But now, after establishing himself, he's back to having something to prove, after last season was prematurely ended by a torn ACL in Week 5. And while he likely won't be ready to take the field until training camp at the earliest, the Lions liked the film, the player and the leader enough to bring him in to help stabilize one of the biggest areas of concern on the roster.

"Yeah, it's definitely a journey," he said. "It's been a blessing, to be honest. Came in undrafted. San Fran took a chance on me. Appreciate them giving me the opportunity. Got a chance to work with Sherm (Richard Sherman) out there, some of the great cornerbacks, guys like Jason Verrett, learn things from those guys. They really inspired me in my game.

"It hasn't been easy, the journey, because you started from the bottom and nobody is counting on you," Moseley continued. "But, it's just amazing when you can continue to prove people wrong and continue to do the things you know you can do to get to points like this one."

In Detroit, Moseley will connect with Cam Sutton, another free-agent addition in the team's defensive backfield. The two previously played together three seasons at the University of Tennessee, with Sutton hosting Moseley on his recruiting visit to the school.

There, they built chemistry and learned to work together on the field, and in the film room, to better themselves. And Moseley is looking to bring that collaborative approach to improving Detroit's secondary, learning and growing together with holdover players such as Jeff Okudah and Jerry Jacobs.

"I think the secondary group before us was really, really good," Moseley said. "Us coming in, we're just going to be leaders of the group, coach as much as we can, learn from them the things they do well, and they'll learn from us, the things we do well. Most of all, we're just going to compete in that room. Competition makes things better. That's how I've learned; that's how I've always gotten better."

Interestingly, Moseley didn't start playing cornerback until late in his high-school career. Before that, he was his division's player of the year as a quarterback for an undefeated state champion as a senior. His backup, Hendon Hooker, is one of this year's top prospects in the draft at the position. But, the only school that offered Moseley a chance to play QB collegiately was North Carolina A&T.

But, when Tennessee came calling, the lure of playing in the SEC, even at a different position, proved to be too great. Clearly, Moseley doesn't shy away from the difficult path, and it's typically been the right one. Now, it's led him to Detroit.

"I know what type of player I can be," he said. "I see the direction the program is going in. I used to watch the games. Just being a football player watching the games, you can see they're ascending in the right way. So, why not be a part of that?"

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Backing up Belichick's praise, Patriots signing one of Lions' special-teams standouts

Justin Rogers

The Detroit News

Ahead of the New England Patriots' matchup with the Detroit Lions last season, Patriots coach Bill Belichick provided his weekly scouting report of the opponent, specifically highlighting Lions linebacker Chris Board.

“Board, that’s the best special-teams player we’ll play against all year," Belichick said. "He’s great. A great player."

On Friday, the legendary coach and de facto general manager of the Patriots backed up those words, with his team agreeing to a two-year deal with Board, reportedly worth up to $6.7 million. That's a nice raise for a player the Lions picked up in the second wave of free agency last offseason for $2 million.

After Board spent his first four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, the Lions brought him in, not only for his special-teams prowess, but also for an opportunity to play an expanded role on defense. But, that second part never came to fruition. After averaging 23 defensive snaps in the first three games, Board averaged fewer than seven in the remaining 14 weeks.

Still, he ended up being a key special-teams contributor the team had envisioned, pacing the Lions with 359 snaps on those units. Earlier this month, coordinator Dave Fipp acknowledged it would be difficult to keep all the pieces from last year's group, particularly with some of the other top veterans, like Josh Woods and C.J. Moore, also hitting free agency.

“I do know, on special teams, the roster changes every year and that’s a part of the deal,” Fipp said at the scouting combine in early March. “That’s part of the challenge is figuring out a way with this group here of how we can make them operate as best we possibly can in these four different phases. It’ll be a new challenge this year regardless of who we get back and who we don’t, but any time you have guys who are productive players and play with a lot of energy and spirit, it’s difficult to lose those types of guys."

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• What’s next for the Lions after free agency’s first wave? 4 key questions

By Colton Pouncy

Mar 17, 2023

ALLEN PARK, Mich. — We’re five days into NFL free agency, and on paper, the Detroit Lions have improved.

Two new cornerbacks, Emmanuel Moseley and Cam Sutton, were added to raise the level of talent in the room. Sutton hosted Moseley on his recruiting visit to Tennessee. Clearly it went well, considering the two eventually became teammates on the Volunteers, and will now team up again in Detroit as potential starters.

David Montgomery is the new running back in town. But don’t call him a Jamaal Williams replacement. He told reporters Thursday he’s here to be his own man, and as a 25-year-old who still feels like he has more to give, it was a savvy, low-risk move for Detroit that could potentially pay off in a big way. He sees the Lions as a team on the rise after playing against them twice a year for four seasons with the Bears.

Detroit also managed to bring back an old friend — this time, on a team with higher expectations. More on him below.

That’s what free agency is all about: finding players who can help you get where you want to go. The Lions feel they’ve done just that this week. But what questions remain in the days and weeks ahead?

Let’s discuss a few of them.

1. How does Graham Glasgow fit into the equation?

In terms of news, Thursday was a slower day. However, the Lions did make a move that managed to catch everyone’s attention with a reunion that’s sure to make the fan base happy.

Graham Glasgow is back.

Yes, the Lions and the offensive lineman agreed to a one-year deal worth up to $4.5 million. The Michigan product returns to the state where he made a name for himself and to the franchise that drafted him in the 2016 third round. He spent the past three seasons with the Denver Broncos.

Considering Glasgow’s extensive experience, there are a few ways to view this signing. Maybe Glasgow is simply an Evan Brown replacement. Brown agreed to a deal with the Seahawks Thursday, marking the end of his run in Detroit. He was always better at center than he was at guard, so bringing in Glasgow could improve the team’s depth behind Halapoulivaati Vaitai. Or it could mean Vaitai’s days in Detroit are numbered, and Glasgow could step in as the Lions’ starting right guard. Both can play right guard, but Vaitai’s recent back injury is concerning. A move like this could pave the way for the Lions to draft a young guard and rely on Glasgow as a bridge until he’s ready to start.

Either way, they have options.

2. Any more restructures or cap cuts on the horizon?

This a question for most teams this time of year, as GMs look to configure their rosters both in the short- and long-term. The Lions have already made a few moves to create more space. Veteran defensive lineman Michael Brockers was released last month, freeing up $10 million. Safety Tracy Walker restructured his contract to give Detroit an additional $5 million. The Lions and defensive end Charles Harris agreed to a renegotiated contract, saving the team close to $3 million in cap space. And more moves are likely on the way.

Vaitai seems like the most obvious one, if the team were to go that route. The Lions could save $6.5 million by cutting him before June 1 and $9.5 million after. With Glasgow in the mix and the potential for a guard to be taken on Day 1 or Day 2 of the NFL Draft, that feels like an option. A restructured deal could also be on the table. Or, as noted, it’s possible Detroit views Vaitai as a starter and simply brought in Glasgow as an upgrade to replace Brown.

Romeo Okwara is another player to monitor. With three young edge prospects in Aidan Hutchinson, James Houston and Josh Paschal, plus Harris taking a pay cut to stick around, where does that leave Okwara? When healthy, he’s proved to be a productive player, which is why this regime offered him a contract extension early in its tenure. However, this is a deep edge class, so there will be options to get younger across the board. It’s also not out of the realm of possibility that Will Anderson Jr. or Tyree Wilson — the two top edge prospects in this class — are sitting there at No. 6. They’d certainly be hard to pass up, which would make for a crowded room.

If Okwara sticks around, the Lions have to hope he returns to form once he’s further removed from the torn Achilles that wiped out the majority of his 2021 and 2022 seasons.

3. Who’s the backup quarterback?

The backup quarterback job was low on the list of priorities when Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes arrived in 2021. Their job was to unearth building blocks and find starters capable of winning in this league. Backup QB? An afterthought of sorts.

That led to the great debate, David Blough versus Tim Boyle, for parts of two seasons. It was even a storyline on “Hard Knocks,” as camera crews watched Blough win the job and make the initial 53-man roster — only to be waived shortly thereafter. That led to the Lions scrambling for backup help, landing on Nate Sudfeld of the 49ers.

We never really got to see Sudfeld in action, because Jared Goff was healthy all year. But would the Lions feel comfortable trotting out Sudfeld if Goff were to miss extended time? And if not, who would they consider?

Some of the more notable backups like Mike White, Taylor Heinicke, Andy Dalton and Jacoby Brissett are off the market. Gardner Minshew, Marcus Mariota and P.J. Walker have new teams, too. If the Lions don’t pursue a more notable backup with experience, Holmes said earlier this month at the combine they could look to the draft to fill the void.

“I feel like last year, we kind of left training camp kind of sliding into home plate trying to fill that backup quarterback role,” he said. “And that’s on me. I gotta do a better job of making sure that we’re not in that position again. So that is something that we’re gonna need to address, whether it’s here in free agency or upcoming in the draft.”

4. Will the Lions look at a linebacker in the draft?

When free agency started, linebacker felt like a position the team could look to bring in new blood. There were plenty of quality options in a fairly crowded market, but the Lions stood behind one of their own, bringing back Alex Anzalone on a three-year, $18.75 million contract.

The stability has to be nice for Anzalone, who had been playing on one-year deals since joining the Lions in 2021. He’s been with Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn since their days in New Orleans and clearly has the trust of the coaching staff. His play improved last year and Anzalone said one thing he’s looking to improve is his consistency. He certainly had his moments last season, so if that comes to fruition, that’s obviously great news for the Lions.

At the same time, this still feels like a position group that could use more. Perhaps in the draft.

The Lions aren’t expected to target a linebacker in the first round, in part because there are few in this class who seem worthy of a selection — even at No. 18. But with two second-round picks and another at 81, that feels like a good time to bring in a fresh face. Iowa’s Jack Campbell put on a show at the combine, with a relative athletic score of 9.98. That’s the seventh-highest RAS of all-time for a linebacker. Clemson’s Trenton Simpson is viewed as one of the best linebackers in this class and also put up an impressive RAS of 9.83, running a 4.42 40-yard dash with a 1.48 10-yard split. He has all the tools to develop into an above-average linebacker. But he could be gone by the time the Lions pick in the second round.

Noah Sewell is a familiar name; he’s Lions right tackle Penei Sewell’s brother. The Oregon product could be an option for the Lions, perhaps in the third round. And the Lions sent linebackers coach Kelvin Sheppard to Texas for the school’s pro day earlier this month, possibly to scout DeMarvion Overshown, a former safety who made the switch to linebacker and ran a 4.56 40. And of course, the Lions found Malcolm Rodriguez in the 2022 sixth round, so it’s possible they’ll wait on a linebacker again rather than spending a Day 2 pick on one.

If the plan was to bring back a veteran who has the trust of the defensive staff, while mentoring the next guy, it’s a good class to do so. We’ll see what April brings.

Colton Pouncy is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Detroit Lions. He previously covered Michigan State football and basketball for the company, and covered sports for The Tennessean in Nashville prior to joining The Athletic. Follow Colton on Twitter @colton_pouncy

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                            Of the signings so far, Moseley is the one that most interests me.
                            Of the personnel moves so far, whether they activate Okudah's 5th year option is the next.
                            I imagine the 5th year of the third pick in the draft has to be a pretty big number and he has not really earned that...I really doubt they pick up his option.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

I imagine the 5th year of the third pick in the draft has to be a pretty big number and he has not really earned that...I really doubt they pick up his option.
                              I think it is a little over 10 million. It will depend on the draft. There is a pretty good possibility that the Lions could decline the option then work out a short term deal (2-3years).
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

I only say that because DC inherited his 4th year, coming off an Achilles injury. Normally that year would be a wash for anybody. It's a rare day when anyone comes anywhere near their potential ability coming off that injury. TBH, I was surprised they got what they got out of him.

Comment

Working...
                                X