X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions make their first move of free agency, re-signing Isaiah Buggs

Justin Rogers

The Detroit News

Allen Park — At the end of last season, defensive tackle Isaiah Buggs was emphatic about his desire to remain with the Detroit Lions. On Monday, the team fulfilled that wish, re-signing him two days before he was set to become an unrestricted free agent.

"We're going to build something great here and I want to be a part of it when it happens," Buggs said. "I didn't want to go into free agency wondering about where I was going to be, where I was going to end up. When Detroit called me and they said, 'We want you back,' I wanted to be back. I always wanted to be back and I'm glad we made that happen."

With incentives, the two-year deal is reportedly worth up to $6 million, according to the NFL Network.

A late addition to the roster last summer, Buggs joined the team days before the start of training camp. It didn't take long to establish himself as part of the team's rotation, and by the second month of the season he was a permanent fixture in the starting lineup.

A sixth-round pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019, Buggs logged 755 defensive snaps for the Lions last season, more than doubling his workload from his first three years combined. He finished with 46 tackles and 20 quarterback pressures, the second-most for an interior lineman on Detroit's roster.

Questioning his future in football after being let go by the Steelers in January, Buggs quickly fell in love with his new home. During the season, Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn said he received a text daily from the defensive lineman expressing his appreciation.

"The first day I stepped in this facility, coaches, players, everybody treated me like I've been here my whole career," Buggs said. "Just being around a great group of guys, I really felt home here. And these coaches, man, they're outstanding coaches. They really believe in you and really put you in the best situation to win. That was my main thing, finding a place where I can fit in, I can be a leader and I can just do what's asked and buy in. Detroit was that place for me."

Buggs' biggest game came in a late-season win over the Minnesota Vikings, when he recorded his lone sack and also forced a fumble at the goal line that was recovered by the Lions. He also had a season-high seven tackles, including a pair of goal line stops, in the finale against Green Bay.

"If you want to be wanted, you have to put in the work to be wanted," Buggs said after the season. "This league don't owe anybody anything. You have to put in the time and earn your respect. That was my main goal this year was putting in my time to earn my respect and be wanted."

Looking forward, Buggs figures to retain a prominent role in Detroit's defensive front, along with third-year man Alim McNeil and Benito Jones, an exclusive rights free agent who is expected to be tendered in the coming days.

"We're young, but I feel like we're going to be ready," Buggs said. "I feel like everybody knows the system. I feel like everybody is ready to buy in and become a great defense, one of the top defenses in the league. And I'm buying in and hope that happens for us. I think we're going to be great next year."

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter: @Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Netflix (Reynolds) was also resigned
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Printed earlier today, before Buggs and Reynolds re-signed with Detroit. Article is split into 2 parts.

Predicting what happens to Detroit Lions NFL free agents: Why Jamaal Williams will return

Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press

The free agent negotiating period opens at noon Monday, when, barring any last-minute deals, the Detroit Lions’ 16 unrestricted free agents can officially start speaking to other teams.

The Lions don’t have any top-of-the-market free agents, but do have several starting-caliber players they hope to retain on both sides of the ball.

Here’s a look at the Lions’ 2023 UFA class, and a prediction for who will and won’t return.

Offense (5)

DJ Chark

Position: WR.

2022 contract: $10 million.

Buzz: Bet on himself last spring, signing a one-year deal that allowed him to test free agency again in 2023. Did not have a great season; he missed six games with an ankle injury and finished with 30 catches for 502 yards. But in a down receiver market, that should be enough to cash in with a multi-year deal this week. The Lions could re-sign Chark. They need a receiver to pair with Amon-Ra St. Brown and Jameson Williams. But with St. Brown a year away from a contract extension, they won’t want to tie up too much money at the position.

Prediction: Lands a three-year deal elsewhere for more than $30 million.

Jamaal Williams

Position: RB.

2022 contract: $3.75 million.

Buzz: Led the NFL with 17 rushing touchdowns last season and became the first Lion to top 1,000 yards since Reggie Bush in 2013. Remains the only unrestricted free agent to sign a multi-year deal with the Lions under Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell, and there is mutual interest in a return. As obvious a fit as Williams is in Detroit, signing him isn’t a given. The Carolina Panthers, with former Lions running backs coach Duce Staley, and Buffalo Bills are among other teams interested in adding Williams to their backfield, though Williams’ preference is to stay in Detroit.

Prediction: Turns down slightly more money elsewhere to stay with the Lions.

Justin Jackson

Position: RB.

2022 contract: $1.035 million.

Buzz: Played in 16 games last season, primarily on special teams. Averaged nearly 27 yards as a kick returner, logged 42 carries as the team’s No. 3 running back and likely will have a similar role if he’s back in 2023. Jackson won’t linger on the market until summer like he did last year, and this draft appears to be deep at running back. Still, he’s worth keeping around in Detroit.

Prediction: Unless a team falls in love with Jackson’s return ability, he re-signs on a one-year deal.

Evan Brown

Position: OG/C.

2022 contract: $1.2 million.

Buzz: Has been an invaluable part of the Lions’ offensive line the past two seasons, starting 12 games at center in 2021 when Frank Ragnow was out with a foot injury, and playing right guard most of last year. The Lions have a decision to make on Halapoulivaati Vaitai before free agency, and what happens there could have a direct impact on Brown’s future. If the Lions keep Vaitai on his current contract or restructure the deal, Brown will have to go elsewhere to find a starting job. Even if they don’t, Brown might command a free agent deal too rich for the Lions to match.

Prediction: Lions keep Vaitai, and let Brown walk.

Nate Sudfeld

Position: QB.

2022 contract: $1.035 million.

Buzz: The Lions have made it clear they intend to upgrade their backup quarterback spot this offseason, but how and when they do that leaves the door cracked open for Sudfeld’s return. If the Lions are spurned on the veteran quarterback market or decide they want to wait until the draft, it makes sense to bring Sudfeld back on a one-year deal. If they sign a bona fide backup, the only way Sudfeld returns is as a No. 3. And as Holmes said last week, some veterans will choose to wait until the draft to sign to see which teams invest in young QBs.

Prediction: If the Lions don’t draft a developmental quarterback, Sudfeld returns in late spring.

Defense (11)

Isaiah Buggs

Position: NT.

2022 contract: $965,000.

Buzz: A late-summer signee and important addition to the Lions defense as a run-stopping nose tackle. Started 13 games, had 46 tackles with one sack and told the Free Press late in the season he wanted to return to Detroit. Buggs won’t have a huge market in free agency — two-down defenders usually don’t, and he did not record a tackle-for-loss last season — but a reunion makes sense for both sides.

Prediction: Signs a two-year deal to stay.

continued..
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• John Cominsky

Position: DL.

Buzz: The most unsung player on the Lions defense last season, recording four sacks among 30 tackles and spearheading many of their pass rush games up front. There is a mutual interest in returning, and while the two sides met at the combine, the Lions had not made a contract offer as of late last week. Cominsky’s fortunes have changed dramatically since the Lions claimed him off waivers from the Atlanta Falcons last spring. He won’t command top-of-the-market money by any means, but he should have a half-dozen or so serious suitors.

Prediction: Toss up, but Cominsky returns on a multi-year deal.

Austin Bryant

Position: DE.

Buzz: A fourth-round pick out of Clemson in 2019, Bryant played just 33 games in four seasons. Had the only 4.5 sacks of his career in 2021, but was a healthy scratch much of last season after the Lions added Cominsky, Aidan Hutchinson, Josh Paschal and James Houston to the edge rush position. There simply isn’t much playing time available, which means he likely signs elsewhere.

Prediction: Some team will take a flier for his pass rush ability.

Alex Anzalone

Position: LB.

2022 contract: $2.25 million.

Buzz: Had the best, healthiest season of his career in 2022, and after playing the past two seasons on team-friendly deals, should have multiple suitors this spring. The Lions have made it known they’d like Anzalone back in 2023. Had 125 tackles and led the Lions in defensive snaps. But they have young linebackers Malcolm Rodriguez and Derrick Barnes in the pipeline, and the cap space to chase an upgrade on the position if they desire. It’s a good off-ball linebacker class with Tremaine Edmunds, David Long, T.J. Edwards among the available free agents.

Prediction: Reunites with one of his old coaches with the Falcons or Denver Broncos.

Josh Woods

2022 contract: $1.2 million.

Buzz: Was the Lions’ best special teams player last season and is in line for a substantial raise in free agency. His return seems mostly a matter of whether the Lions are willing to pay top-of-the-market special teams money, or if they’d rather invest those resources elsewhere. With four key special teams players — Chris Board, C.J. Moore and Jackson are the others — slated to be free agents, the Lions have choices to make.

Prediction: The free agent money is too good elsewhere for Woods to pass up.

Chris Board

2022 contract: $1.5 million.

Buzz: One of the Lions’ best special teams players last season, but signed thinking he would have a bigger opportunity on defense. That never materialized as the Lions gave Rodriguez and Barnes more time instead. Board is expected to test the market, and there’s a good chance he signs elsewhere even if it’s mostly in a special teams role.

Prediction: I don’t see Board returning.

DeShon Elliott

Position: S.

2022 contract: $1.1 million.

Buzz: Benched early last season for freelancing too much on defense, but played well down the stretch and benefitted from a midseason tweak in scheme. Though he missed three games with injuries, Elliott had a career-high 96 tackles and one forced fumble. He’s worth re-signing, even at a higher cost, but entering his age-26 season wants a starting role, and the Lions seem poised to enter 2023 with Tracy Walker and Kerby Joseph as their top safeties. The wild card: Walker’s return from a torn Achilles could prompt the Lions to add insurance at the position.

Prediction: Finds a clearer path to a starting role — and more money — somewhere else.

C.J. Moore

Position: S.

Buzz: Lions gave him $800,000 guaranteed to re-sign last spring, then waived him with an injury settlement at the end of training camp. Moore eventually returned and played the special teams role the team envisioned for him all along, but the Lions have a decision to make this offseason with their aforementioned coverage players scheduled for free agency, and Ifeatu Melifonwu under contract as a potential backup safety.

Prediction: Stays on a one-year deal to compete for a job in training camp.

Amani Oruwariye

Position: CB.

2022 contract: $2.54 million.

Buzz: Coming off a breakout six-interception season in 2021, Oruwariye was one of the Lions’ most disappointing players last year. He committed 11 penalties, allowed a 106.1 passer rating, according to Pro Football Reference, and lost his starting job early in the year. The Lions are in desperate need of cornerback help, and Oruwariye is in desperate need of a fresh start. A parting of the ways is in the best interest of both sides.

Prediction: Signs a one-year, prove-it deal with another team.

Will Harris

2022 contract: $2.51 million.

Buzz: Seemed to find his footing in the Lions’ secondary late in the 2021 season, when he moved from safety to cornerback. Finished last season as the starting slot cornerback and could return as a jack-of-all-trades in 2023. The Lions are desperate to upgrade their secondary and that could take on many forms. If they strike out on a new starter to pair with Jerry Jacobs outside, they could try to upgrade the slot position, which would leave Harris looking for work.

Prediction: Sticks around on a one-year deal.

Mike Hughes

2022 contract: $2.25 million.

Buzz: Had an up-and-down season in 2022. He seemed miscast as the Lions’ starting slot cornerback early, but played better after kicking outside down the stretch. Allowed a 73.2% completion rate and 126.2 passer rating, according to Pro Football Reference. Lions should be able to find an upgrade in free agency, though Hughes’ versatility is an asset.

Prediction: Finds a new team in free agency, his fourth in four years.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

​​
          My friend Ken L

Comment

• I like the Buggs contract. He’s a good rotational guy for the mix.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Detroit Lions re-sign Craig Reynolds, tender contracts to 5 exclusive rights free agents

Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press

Running back Craig Reynolds is returning to the Detroit Lions on a one-year deal, and the team tendered five of its other exclusive rights free agents contracts Monday.

The Lions announced they tendered contract offers to long snapper Scott Daly, defensive tackle Benito Jones, tight ends Brock Wright and Shane Zylstra and linebacker Anthony Pittman, whose tender was reported last week.

Exclusive rights free agents are players with less than three years of NFL service time. They receive non-guaranteed, minimum salary deals and cannot negotiate with other teams once tendered.

The Lions have until 4 p.m. Wednesday to tender their final two ERFAs, cornerback Bobby Price and guard Tommy Kraemer. Both are returning from season-ending injuries; Price underwent knee surgery in the fall, while Kraemer missed the season with a back ailment.

Price is ahead of schedule with his rehab and due in town for a medical recheck this week.

Reynolds has appeared in 14 games with two starts over the past two seasons for the Lions. Nicknamed "Netflix" by former Lions running backs coach Duce Staley, Reynolds ran for a career-high 112 yards on 26 carries in a win over the Arizona Cardinals in 2021 and spent most of last season as the Lions' No. 4 running back behind Jamaal Williams, D'Andre Swift and Justin Jackson.

Reynolds, who spent time in the second half of last season on injured reserve (ribs), is expected to compete for a backup job in 2023.

Williams and Jackson are among 15 Lions who will become unrestricted free agents absent a new deal by 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• CB Cameron Sutton agrees to terms with Lions: Report

By The Athletic Staff
                24m ago

Former Steelers cornerback Cameron Sutton has agreed to terms with the Lions, the NFL Network reported Monday. Here’s what you need to know:

*-The cornerback has reportedly landed a three-year deal worth a maximum of $33 million with $22.5 million guaranteed.
                *-Sutton, 28, has spent his entire six-year career with the Steelers since they selected him in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

*-He posted 43 tackles (35 solo), three interceptions and 15 pass breakups last season.

Backstory

Sutton ranked No. 22 on The Athletic’s list of top free agents this offseason.

Once a jack of all trades, Sutton became more of a traditional cornerback last season and produced. His 15th passes defended ranked sixth and he allowed a passer rating of 65.3 when his coverage was targeted, which is spectacular.

What they’re saying

From Sutton’s agent, David Canter:

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                    It’s crazy to think that we had an offense as good as they were last year and we’re adding arguably the best WR from last years draft class to training camp. Williams is awesome

Lions view Jameson Williams like a bonus first-round draft pick

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2023, 11:09 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions traded up to the 12th overall pick in last year’s NFL draft to select wide receiver Jameson Williams, knowing he wouldn’t do much as a rookie. Williams tore his ACL playing for Alabama in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game, and as a rookie he needed time to recover and ended up catching just one pass.

But Williams is now at full speed, and Lions General Manager Brad Holmes views his presence on the 2023 roster as like the addition of a bonus first-round draft pick.

“It’s kind of like a brand new first-round pick,” Holmes said, via the team’s website. “You know, the goal when we originally drafted him, we didn’t know really how much we were gonna get out of him, but it was good to have him get some kind of game experience to kind of feel the speed of the game. We’re just gonna continue to do everything that we need to do to make sure that he’s set up to succeed. He’s got rare talent, rare ability. He’s got a serious passion for the game. We expect big things from him, but obviously, we’ve got to do both our parts to make sure he’s successful.”

The Lions also have the No. 6 overall pick (from the Rams) and the No. 18 overall pick (their own) in this year’s draft, so Williams won’t be the only young talent added to a Detroit roster that was surprisingly competitive in 2022 and may be better in 2023.
                    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I hope he and Goff make that connection in camp so they can come out firing. He's an impressive WR
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Report: Alex Anzalone agrees to three-year, $18.75 million deal to return to Lions

Posted by Charean Williams on March 13, 2023, 4:46 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions are keeping linebacker Alex Anzalone, having agreed to a three-year, $18.75 million deal, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

The Lions also have Malcolm Rodriguez, Derrick Barnes and Anthony Pittman under contract for 2023 at the position.

Anzalone, a team captain, played 1,080 defensive snaps, which was 95 percent of the team’s defensive snaps in 2022. He made 125 tackles, including seven for loss, 1.5 tackles for loss and one interception.

He joined the Lions in 2021 after four seasons with the Saints, who made him a third-round selection in 2017.

In his career, Anzalone has played 69 games with 51 starts. He has 326 tackles, 6.5 sacks, three interceptions, 17 quarterback hits, 16 pass breakups and four forced fumbles.

Comment

• I hope the contract details reveal it’s more of a 2 year contract that’s highly incentivized. Protect against Anzalone’s heavy injury history to begin his career.

If Anzalone can give us more week 18 vs GB games… that’d be nice.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Lions add Cameron Sutton, bolstering their secondary with a ‘very smart kid’

By Colton Pouncy

36m ago

The Athletic has live coverage of NFL free agency with all the latest news, deals and trades.

One way or another, you had to think the Lions would be in on a cornerback. It didn’t take long for GM Brad Holmes to address the position after the free-agency negotiating window opened Monday, when the Lions agreed to a reported three-year, $33 million contract with former Steelers cornerback Cameron Sutton.

Sutton, 28, is a smart and versatile defensive back who ranked 22nd on The Athletic’s list of the top 150 free agents. He fills an immediate need and improves a secondary that needed help.

Here’s what the Lions are getting.

How he fits: Free agency is how teams fill immediate needs, and that’s exactly what Sutton does for the Lions. Detroit’s secondary was one of the worst in football last season, allowing the third-most passing yards per game. Amani Oruwariye is a free agent and isn’t expected to return after getting benched in favor of others. Reserves like Mike Hughes and Will Harris are also free agents, so the Lions entered the offseason with questions at the position. Sutton answers some.

Sutton is a versatile and smart cornerback who turned in a productive 2022 season. During his time in Pittsburgh, Sutton proved his value — playing in the slot and on the outside. His coaches in Pittsburgh have raved about his intelligence as a player, which might explain why he was able to produce as a jack-of-all-trades type of defender.

“He is one very smart kid,” Tom Bradley, a former longtime Penn State defensive coordinator and Steelers defensive backs coach (2018 to 2020), told The Athletic’s Mark Kaboly in 2022. “He might be the smartest player I ever coached in all my years.”

At $11 million per year, Sutton is cheaper than some of the other free-agent corners on the market. Both Holmes and coach Dan Campbell cautioned against paying big money to free agents, so the Lions weren’t expected to be in on Jamel Dean or James Bradberry, the consensus top corners. But Sutton is probably in that next tier, ranking as the No. 3 corner available on The Athletic’s list.

2023 impact: Sutton ranked sixth in the NFL with 15 passes defended and allowed a 65.3 passer rating when targeted. Sutton played more than 70 percent of his snaps as an outside corner in 2021 and 2022, after not having topped the 35 percent mark his previous three seasons. Per PFF, he allowed just 411 receiving yards in 2022, the ninth-fewest among corners with at least 400 snaps. He was given an overall grade of 71.6, a coverage grade of 70.4 and a run defense grade of 73.6, above-average marks across the board. His services will be valued in Detroit.

History: A 2017 third-round pick out of Tennessee, Sutton has outperformed his draft slot. While he lacks ideal height, he’s more than made up for it with his football intelligence. It’s something Steelers coach Mike Tomlin noticed early on, well before he was drafted.

“He talked in a real global sense, and Kevin Colbert and I just looked at each other,” Tomlin once recalled. “His global football knowledge and awareness and his ability to articulate it are unique, has been unique, and it shows up often in his play. Not only in his play, but his communication helps others.”

During his time in Pittsburgh, Sutton became a personal favorite of teammate Cam Heyward, who recently praised him on a podcast appearance with Dave Dameshek.

“I really like Cam Sutton,” Heyward said. “There’s so many different things Cam does that go unnoticed. He can play nickel, he can play outside, he can play the dime. The fact that you can move him around — and he plays with a little bit of a mean streak — he’s a guy I really appreciate.”

Cap update: The Lions entered the day with around $22 million in cap space. While things are always fluid around this time of the year, the addition of Sutton and re-signing of Isaiah Buggs cuts into that budget. Expect more moves to be made in the near future to create room.

Outlook: The Lions expect to compete for the NFC North crown in 2023, and a move like this gets them closer. The division is wide open with the Bears still rebuilding, the Packers potentially losing Aaron Rodgers and the Vikings shedding salary. Holmes said he needed to address a defense that was on the verge of being historically bad before finding some answers in the second half of last season. Sutton gives the Lions a steady corner to improve the pass defense. A move like this could also pave the way for Detroit to take the best player available at No. 6 in the draft, rather than focusing on a need like cornerback.

Colton Pouncy is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Detroit Lions. He previously covered Michigan State football and basketball for the company, and covered sports for The Tennessean in Nashville prior to joining The Athletic. Follow Colton on Twitter @colton_pouncy

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Yeah, odds are that Anzalone number is more like 2 years with $10-12M guaranteed. We'll see. Not a surprised he's back, but that's looking like a hefty raise. If he plays like he did especially down the stretch last year, that's fine.

Comment

• Expect more cap moves? HV to be cut?

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X